Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

PSx2 and an xbox controller. if you want i'll even give you my rip of the game.

i....what? a Ps2 emulator for the PsP ? If not i don't see the connection, we are talking about PsP games on the go for Helping.....

For the record: i already have Dark cloud 2 :)

So I just finished watching AoT in two sittings. It was good, kept my attention. I wanted to know more and watch the story unfiold. The music score was done quite well along with a bunch of other things.

In the end I just kinda felt unfulfilled. Like its over? I just feels empty for everything that was put together.

Is that just me? I kinda felt the same but to a much greater extent with SAO.

So I just finished watching AoT in two sittings. It was good, kept my attention. I wanted to know more and watch the story unfiold. The music score was done quite well along with a bunch of other things.

In the end I just kinda felt unfulfilled. Like its over? I just feels empty for everything that was put together.

Is that just me? I kinda felt the same but to a much greater extent with SAO.

That's what usually happens when the 'energy level' of the show tries to remain constant instead of in surges...

That's what usually happens when the 'energy level' of the show tries to remain constant instead of in surges...

I mean it was a ride on many level. I will agree the pacing was a bit off but I stuck in there and it s like what did I get for it?

I mean it was a ride on many level. I will agree the pacing was a bit off but I stuck in there and it s like what did I get for it?

A frozen antagonist and an ending that's basically begging for Season 2.

As per your comparison to SAO, I think they wrapped it up nicely enough and kept close to Volumes 1 and 2 of the novels... The anime series could've ended then and there...

As per your comparison to SAO, I think they wrapped it up nicely enough and kept close to Volumes 1 and 2 of the novels... The anime series could've ended then and there...

Author of SAO wasn't expecting SAO to become a hit either.

Now it's just milking cash cow by trying different things(trap/yuri, and then heavy yaoi hints).

=================================

Lesson of the day: always read the full thread before asking for sauce.

qtQOTWA.png?1

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Well no that just like within the 25 episodes they didn't do much to give it substance. They could in a second season but the way all of it was done I don't know if they will. They don't really need to with how its been done so far.

SAO has many more issues but the main trait I think that connects the two is probably creating an amazing intriguing world around you and not really utilizing it. Im not even saying to its fullest. There just so many opennings that never got filled. For the sorry it isn't needed but it would help complete the setting.

And if your talking about sao it could have ended without most of the second season really.

Well no that just like within the 25 episodes they didn't do much to give it substance. They could in a second season but the way all of it was done I don't know if they will. They don't really need to with how its been done so far.

SAO has many more issues but the main trait I think that connects the two is probably creating an amazing intriguing world around you and not really utilizing it. Im not even saying to its fullest. There just so many opennings that never got filled. For the sorry it isn't needed but it would help complete the setting.

And if your talking about sao it could have ended without most of the second season really.

That's why Log Horizon > SAO despite lower budget.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

And if your talking about sao it could have ended without most of the second season really. <--- If it didn't sell so well it would've ended by Season 1

I agree with the issues and the author killed the best character imo (Sachi) within the first volume of the series...

I'm just surprised that no one has done an actual MMO and Kadokawa hasn't commissioned an MMO using the setting of SAO...

I agree but I wouldn't compare them as equals... The characters in Log Horizon are more colorful than SAO imo and there are dynamic interactions between the side characters, something lacking in SAO...

I won't deny that.

I agree but I wouldn't compare them as equals... The characters in Log Horizon are more colorful than SAO imo and there are dynamic interactions between the side characters, something lacking in SAO...

That's because they are not equals.

SAO is just going with the hypetrain of a wellknown LN(some of most-viewed LN consists of Hidan no Aria, among other things...).

Meanwhile very few people has heard of Log Horizon before the anime.

Perfect example of how opinion of general public isn't trustworthy in any way.

That's because they are not equals.  <--It is an insult to Log Horizon to compare them as equals. /joke

SAO is just going with the hypetrain of a wellknown LN(some of most-viewed LN consists of Hidan no Aria, among other things...).

Meanwhile very few people has heard of Log Horizon before the anime.

Perfect example of how opinion of general public isn't trustworthy in any way.

I'm guilty of picking up the Log Horizon novels after the anime... But my excuse is that I have no idea what the market for light novels is like in Japan and I only started dedicating time to reading light novels after Iris on Rainy Days...

@Vitalius or anyone else pls help

Miraculously, I was lucky enough that the PSP I bought only came with a faulty cable, so now comes the exciting part.

My physics class is basically Russia simulator 2014. I can't understand shit and I freeze my nipples off if I'm not wearing at least a hoodie and some less-breatheable warmer shoes with thick socks.

I was thinking of finding some decent RPG games to pass time and be able to pay a little bit of focus to rewite down example numbers, formulas etc

suggestions?

Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days. I love the Disgaea series. Tactical turn based RPG with anime-style debauchery & aesthetics. You can literally spend 1,000+ hours playing the game and not "complete it 100%". It defines grinding for the end game. 

Basically, a character can level to level 9999 and then he can reincarnate back to level 1 and redo the process with higher stats either as a different class or as the same class. In Disgaea 1, getting a "perfect character" was entirely possible, but required 254 reincarnations which is effectively 253,746 levels. I literally spent over 1,000 hours playing Disgaea 1.

Disgaea 2 watered that down by adding special experience multipliers so it's not that big of a pain in the butt to level your character, but you can level weapons too. Which you could do in 1, but it wasn't as involved as character leveling. So there's that. You level weapons going through floors of a randomly generated dungeon within the weapon. 

It's awesome. The story was pretty good imo, and the Disgaea series in general is something I love as a JRPG guy. 

Aside from that:

Valkyrie Profile <Not sure if real-time turn based like FFX-2 or actual turn based like FFX.

Brave Story <Has a Dark Cloud aesthetic which is a major plus for me.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology <It's Tales of... so you can't really go wrong with it.

The Original Final Fantasy <FF1 remade for PSP. I put this one separate because FF1 was the best FF imho.

FF 2, 3, & 4 <Same as above but 2, 3 & 4. Interestingly, FF3 has 3D graphic battles while 1, 2, & 4 are 2D sprites. Da fuq...

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 1, 2, & 3 <It's Persona. Play it.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony <Remake of a 1992 RPG with better graphics but same story, looks dope

Fate: Extra <Yes, as in Fate Stay Night & Zero.

Jewel Summoner <Atlus, has to be good.

Star Ocean: First Departure & Second Evolution <Star Ocean. Either you like it or you don't.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Yeah, so have fun.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days. I love the Disgaea series. Tactical turn based RPG with anime-style debauchery & aesthetics. You can literally spend 1,000+ hours playing the game and not "complete it 100%". It defines grinding for the end game. 

Basically, a character can level to level 9999 and then he can reincarnate back to level 1 and redo the process with higher stats either as a different class or as the same class. In Disgaea 1, getting a "perfect character" was entirely possible, but required 254 reincarnations which is effectively 253,746 levels. I literally spent over 1,000 hours playing Disgaea 1.

Disgaea 2 watered that down by adding special experience multipliers so it's not that big of a pain in the butt to level your character, but you can level weapons too. Which you could do in 1, but it wasn't as involved as character leveling. So there's that. You level weapons going through floors of a randomly generated dungeon within the weapon. 

It's awesome. The story was pretty good imo, and the Disgaea series in general is something I love as a JRPG guy. 

Aside from that:

Valkyrie Profile <Not sure if real-time turn based like FFX-2 or actual turn based like FFX.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology <It's Tales of... so you can't really go wrong with it.

The Original Final Fantasy <FF1 remade for PSP. I put this one separate because FF1 was the best FF imho.

FF 2, 3, & 4 <Same as above but 2, 3 & 4. Interestingly, FF3 has 3D graphic battles while 1, 2, & 4 are 2D sprites. Da fuq...

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony <Remake of a 1992 RPG with better graphics but same story, looks dope

Star Ocean: First Departure & Second Evolution <Star Ocean. Either you like it or you don't.

Yeah, so have fun.

What JRPG's would you recommend then to someone looking to get into the genre.

Aside from that:

Yeah, so have fun.

lol almost the same stuff i suggested xD good good!

What JRPG's would you recommend then to someone looking to get into the genre.

Hmm. Depends. Do you prefer old or new stuff? JRPG's are weird in that even the old stuff is very much replayable. The gameplay usually doesn't change much between turn based games except for the odd balls. 

If you would prefer older stuff to start with:

• Suikoden (any really)
  • Legend of Mana
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Legend of Dragoon

All are highly recommended by me. Any of those can be found on PS1. I grew up in the PS2 days so I played a lot of Playstation 1 & 2 games.

Even older would be for SNES usually:

• Chrono Trigger
  • FF1 (the original, best FF imo)
  • Earthbound
  • Super Mario RPG

If you would prefer newer stuff to start with:

• Persona
  • Disgaea
  • Star Ocean
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Those are games you could try (each is different in their own way) that I'd recommend.

Those are of turn based games at least. For real-time games...

Older stuff I would suggest would be:

• Growlanser (I really loved this series)
  • Grandia
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga (This one is fairly unique as well)
  • Skies of Arcadia (A pretty game for it's time on the Dreamcast)

Newer stuff I would suggest would be:

• Phantom Brave
  • Tales of ... games
  • Kingdom Hearts (all my yes, my fave game)
  • Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus (I consider it to be pretty good, others disagree)
  • The World Ends with You
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Dark Cloud 1 & 2

Note that I tried to keep it to PS2 era and back. There are exceptions, but yeah. If you want Current/Last gen suggestions I have those too though.

Edit: Add the .Hack series to the PS2 Newer real-time stuff. Those games were good when supplemented with the anime.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Honestly the JRPG list is just so freaking huge.....most of them are still in Japan and never got released outside :(
I´ll add some that came to my mind from the Ps2 era:

Tales of... series
Dot.Hack//... series
Xenosaga
Xenogears

But for a beginner hmmm, Final Fantasy for both old and new stuff :P
If you dont like the combat system and want something more active then Grandia would be a step up.

and then Tales of series.

@Vitalius Current/ last gen suggestions would be nice as well  :)

Alrighty then.

Turn based:

• Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (didn't mean to include that one with the other list)
  • Valkyria Chronicles (same, sort turn based, sorta real time)
  • Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360 exclusive unfortunately, but a very good, though depressing story)
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice & Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness (even if I was disappointed in D2)
  • Eternal Sonata (weird battle system like Valkyria Chronicles)
  • Records of Agarest War (Very .... anime-like in terms of being ecchi)

Real-time

• Demon's Souls, & Dark Souls (Prepare to Die, a lot)
  • Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix (Seriously, my favorite game)
  • White Knight Chronicles (It was actually a good game, but it was like a console single player MMO. Weird.)
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • Tales of Graces f

JRPGs to avoid from current/last gen:

• Enchanted Arms (I own and beat this game 100%. It's crap by RPG standards. Avoid like the plague.)
  • Last Rebellion (This game was designed to be a PSP game but was released for PS3. Facepalm of immense magnitude.)

Note that I stuck to PS3 because I don't and have never owned an Xbox 360 though my best friend did and I played that a bit. The current gen is still being fleshed out so yeah. Not much to give there. 

Also, it's Japanese, it's an RPG, but it's definitely not in regards to gameplay. Armored Core 4. No real story to speak of (since the localization teams often just throw out the Armored Core stories, which is a terrible shame), but the gameplay is very fun if you like mecha stuff.

If you just want one suggestion from each category, Ni no Kuni for turn based and Demon's Souls for real time. Both are games I consider master pieces in their own right. They're polar opposites in a lot of ways, so I think that's a good thing to suggest.

† Christian Member †

Armored core!?

l'll throw in zone of the enders HD then, lol.

I remembered playing this game but could never get into it because of how clunky and slow the controls were.

3D games in general are kind of rough on PSP.

from what I gather, I think Coded Arms was good too, until I got stuck because I ran out of ammo.

it was one of those games where you're pretty much fucked if you've been running low on ammo for a while and then go empty.

time to go find Ridge Racer, Katamari, and Disgaea

Error: 410

time to go find Ridge Racer, Katamari, and Disgaea

Note that I recommended Disgaea 2 because it's the easiest to start on, but Disgaea 1 is my favorite. 

† Christian Member †