Want to repair your own iPhone 12/13 (and soon M1 Mac) with official parts? Apple will now sell them to you complete with instructions and tools

saltycaramel
21 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

They will still hold on to their 30% app store cut like the worlds ending,

W for right to repair tho 🙂

Not if you use a third party payment processing solution.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this. Wow I am no Apple fan but I gotta give them some applause for this one. Now im sure that's because they are afraid of getting hit with lawsuit and legislation but a win is a win.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's sad that people are celebrating this not because it is a win for consumers (assuming it comes good) but because it takes the wind out of arguments against apple.  I mean WTF?  really?  people are more interested in stopping criticism of apple rather than fighting for better consumer protections?

It's not about stopping criticism of Apple; the company should be more accommodating to DIY repairs, and it's unfortunate that it took legal pressure to make that happen. Rather, it's that there's a certain camp that always has an excuse for why Apple is the Worst Company Ever, even if Android phone and Windows PC makers do many of the exact same things... this program makes it harder for those people to exhibit hypocrisy.

Not that it'll prevent some from demonizing Apple regardless (see this thread), but it should prompt more rational critics to reevaluate their views.

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

Which they are trying to claim is "to hard"

and are apealing

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this. Wow I am no Apple fan but I gotta give them some applause for this one. Now im sure that's because they are afraid of getting hit with lawsuit and legislation but a win is a win.

Its probably a few things:
Think of the IRP program

ITs probably the IRP but for the consumer

The thing is, that makes it seems like its Apples idea, even though some people know its because apples afraid of legislation forcing them to do it.

It also gives them some ground to stand on when leglislation requiring more than screens, batteries, and cameras comes along. Theyll try to say they already do it, so theres no need to require them to follow leglislation, or have any at all.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

No in Korea google are complying with the permitting third party payments but still insisting on taking their cut since the cut is not for the payment handling but for the SKD just like how Epic charge a revenue share for using their Unreal SDK.  This is much more complex for devs as rather than google paying them what will happen is google will demand to see their revenue numbers then issue them a bill (like what Sony and Epic do). 

Apple will do the same it would be very difficult for a gov to legislation and forbid apple or google from being able to have revenue share based licensing on their SDKs or on the store discovery angle. 

18 hours ago, Mihle said:

Well that is false, plenty of Android phones have 2 year main updates and 3 year security, Samsung said they will start doing 3/4 year now. Google is doing 3 themselves at the moment.

That's what they say on paper.  What actually happens is there isn't a new android version until X months after your phone launches, it takes 12 months for it to trickle down to finally getting pushed to you phone, and then they're like "well it's been 18 months now so there's your one update for the entire product life".   And this is the same process for even minor android versions so if your phone releases between major versions...gee gee cause you aint' getting the major one probably.

Meanwhile iOS you get the latest update on day 1 of release for 5+ years.  I was on Galaxy S phones up until 2015....I know how shit actually works and Android is a dumpster fire compared to iOS.  And this is only talking about "flagship phones" like the Galaxy S.  Buy a mid tier phone and it's basically disposable after 12 months cause it's never getting an update.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

yeah the support for android sucks, and depending on when you buy it... it can be worse.

however google "tries" to fix this. but hearing about it for half a decade now... should have been dealt with a long time ago.

although you do get some small bits of freedom else where, but sadly it also depends on the brand you buy and how pixel (google) phones will get more support than the other ones?

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's not about stopping criticism of Apple; the company should be more accommodating to DIY repairs, and it's unfortunate that it took legal pressure to make that happen. Rather, it's that there's a certain camp that always has an excuse for why Apple is the Worst Company Ever, even if Android phone and Windows PC makers do many of the exact same things... this program makes it harder for those people to exhibit hypocrisy.

Not that it'll prevent some from demonizing Apple regardless (see this thread), but it should prompt more rational critics to reevaluate their views.

I'm in the camp that any company that does something bad is worthy of criticism,   I just don't like seeing sentences along the lines of: "This should silence the critics", because the only time that rhetoric is applicable is when the critics are being intentionally unfair and it really isn't that unfair in this case.    

Most of the hate apple gets is because apple has actually done something to earn it.  They have been refusing to repair devices (and going as far to have customs be their personal guard dog leveraging the legal system to scare off small repairers) for the better part of a decade and all of sudden we are supposed to believe that will change? I don't care for pointless speculation, so I will wait until I see where this actually goes before I pass comment on how good it is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That's what they say on paper.  What actually happens is there isn't a new android version until X months after your phone launches, it takes 12 months for it to trickle down to finally getting pushed to you phone, and then they're like "well it's been 18 months now so there's your one update for the entire product life".   And this is the same process for even minor android versions so if your phone releases between major versions...gee gee cause you aint' getting the major one probably.

Meanwhile iOS you get the latest update on day 1 of release for 5+ years.  I was on Galaxy S phones up until 2015....I know how shit actually works and Android is a dumpster fire compared to iOS.  And this is only talking about "flagship phones" like the Galaxy S.  Buy a mid tier phone and it's basically disposable after 12 months cause it's never getting an update.

Sounds like last time you used android was many years ago, it's plenty better now than it was 8 years ago. Or you just have experience with for example LG or Motorola that is terrible.

Google and Android Devices get stuff really fast. Samsung now take few months maximum depending on device.

Samsung is giving A52, a midrange device 3 years of big updates, 4 year of security updates. Or I think they actually say 3 major versions, so if they take little longer with the last one you should still get it I think? (Android get one major update per year)

They did not promise that in the past at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't say not getting an update, bricks the device.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

Anyway, I wouldn't say not getting an update, bricks the device.

Not getting security updates, or even getting security updates months or years late does effectively brick a modern internet connected device. And after long enough not getting some functional updates alls bricks the device as app developer for key apps (like banking etc) give up on supporting older operating systems (or are advised by their security teams to drop support for good reasons). 

But what if find the worst is selling devices today that ship with 2 year old android and will be lucky to get 1/2 of the patches released in the last year (LG comes to mind of course).

I understand why they do this, unlike apple, they do not have any $ incentive to issue update to devices they have already sold. For apple when a user downloads a new OS version they are much more likely to spend some $$ on the App Store to try out new apps that make use of the new os, since apple gets a 30% this means getting as many users onto the latest os version for apple means apple makes money.  Unfortunately the alternative approach of charging users for updates just does not work so few users would pay (even if it were just $5) but these same users will be ok with spending $15 extra over the next year on the App Store (effectively paying apple out $5 for the software upgrade). 

For companies that do not have any money to be made by getting users to upgrade to the latest os version their board likely looks at software updates as a negative impact on sales and maybe this is why older devices tend to have a delay on getting the new os so that if you want the latest android you need to buy the new device or wait 2 to 4 months for the software update to come to your 2 or 3 year old device. 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, James Evens said:

To early to say anything good (can't find pricing/conditions).

One of the key phrases:

If it is like the existing program's the prices will be extremely high with huge "credit" when you return the old part.

That's exactly how Dell works.

Dell sends you out a part, and if you don't return it, you are charged the full price. They don't want people building a Frankenstein device from ordering a computer or phone entirely from spare parts. 

The requirements really need to go further, I don't mind them charging an up-front deposit so that they get the parts back and it dissuades frankenstein monster'ing devices, but there has to be a better way to "get the parts back" when they're small parts that will just clog up logistics and postal systems.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The requirements really need to go further, I don't mind them charging an up-front deposit so that they get the parts back and it dissuades frankenstein monster'ing devices, but there has to be a better way to "get the parts back" when they're small parts that will just clog up logistics and postal systems.

sell them over the counter an any apple store or registered outlet.  That at least covers 80% of the population who shouldn't be so far form one it's an inconvenience. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The reason they need to ask for the parts back (at least some of them) is their upstream agreements with their suppliers (intel for example) strictly forbids them rom being a parts re-seller. (if you buy laptop cpus from intel you can't just go sell them on the open market). Doing these sorts of things like asking for parts back that have been replaced likely means they can write does this effort as repair rather service and thus easily comply with the terms of their contracts.

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

sell them over the counter an any apple store or registered outlet.  That at least covers 80% of the population who shouldn't be so far form one it's an inconvenience. 

I might well offer (some) parts in store pickup and they likely will accept in-store drop off for all part returns (as they currently do if you want to trade in an old Mac/Phone to get store credit).

I would not expect every apple store to stock every single spare part and tool/jig in particular if apple do expand this program going back over time, even just supporting the limited repairs they mentioned on iPhone 12 and 13 results in over 200 parts and tools just imagine how many this will be when you consider adding a few macs to the mix or some older phones. 

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

I would not expect every apple store to stock every single spare part and tool/jig in particular if apple do expand this program going back over time, even just supporting the limited repairs they mentioned on iPhone 12 and 13 results in over 200 parts and tools just imagine how many this will be when you consider adding a few macs to the mix or some older phones.

I figured that, I would assume the difference between a store being able to order in the part and an apple warehouse being able to ship the part being minimal.  I use a company here in Australia for Electronic and electrical supplies,  They often have to ship in the parts I purchase from either the US or UK,  I always get the parts within 10 days of placing the order.    Given they can do that I would assume barring a massive stock shortage that apple could easily do the same.  

EDIT: I should add that that 10 days is in a time when local postage and shipping is in crisis and packages are taking up to 2 months to travel internally and imports from the UK or the US are costing and arm and leg.  So large companies with good logistic networks should be able to do it.