Check out my HUGE new rack!

Now that Linus' home is sort of smart, it's time to bring in the network rack to house the brains of the operation: Routers, switches, NVRs, UPSes, the whole nine yards! Why is it pink?

Check out RackSolutions' RS148 Data Canter Server Cabinet at https://lmg.gg/cDiVF

Buy Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Dream Machine Pro
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/jdK5K
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/hc2AS
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/xNaBk8

Buy Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 48Port Pro Switch Gen2
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/s2aWKOy
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/AADxNBO
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/PBWnqFs

Buy Ubiquiti UniFi Protect Network Video Recorder
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0yQhwww
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/yZZNuNC
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/yXy2k

Buy Ubiquiti Networks UniFi SmartPower Redundant Power System
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/8McAA
On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DNuo

Buy Eaton 9PX Lithium Ion UPS
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/L9ZA

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

why do I want to put a rack into my home and make it stupid with old 1gb gear.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Please DO NOT EVER look into lit fiber especially single mode fiber!! Plus the fact that single mode isn't visible anyway it's a very dangerous thing to do regardless of mode. Multi-mode is "safer" if you view it off angle but never look directly into lit fiber!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

37 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Why is it pink?

Linus' Lambo is re-incarnated as a rack-mount enclosure! That's why he wants Lime-green cables 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

20 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Please DO NOT EVER look into lit fiber especially single mode fiber!! Plus the fact that single mode isn't visible anyway it's a very dangerous thing to do regardless of mode. Multi-mode is "safer" if you view it off angle but never look directly into lit fiber!

I check fibre by pointing it to my hand, then looking for the dot on my hand.

No need to look directly into it.

Sometimes the pairs need to be flipped, but that's about it.

Of course, never a fan of how Linus and his team handle fibre, or how they ignore what's supposed to be the minimum turn radius. Oh well, not my problem.

1 minute ago, willies leg said:

I check fibre by pointing it to my hand, then looking for the dot on my hand.

No need to look directly into it.

Sometimes the pairs need to be flipped, but that's about it.

Of course, never a fan of how Linus and his team handle fibre, or how they ignore what's supposed to be the minimum turn radius. Oh well, not my problem.

Yah, there have been quite a few times I've checked multi-mode stuff by cupping my hand around it to make it dark and checking but never directly into it 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Has Linus realized that once he puts a 100 Cat cables in there, the door is not likely to close? And he has then to remove all devices to be able to reposition the front vertical beams two notches to the back?

just saying, been there, done that, feel the pain.

when he pushed in a big rack that makes yvonne question the rack. then flashing the magic of the shaft, getting deep and to every corner.

when is the OF, Linus and Jake? LJ.jr

When the home server rack has a better environment than the office server rack....

Looks great though. Curious to see how it looks once all of the ethernet is patch paneled in. 

This really makes me want a ubiquiti 10Gb switch now. 

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

It is surprising how much damage even a few mW of laser power is able to do to a fragile eye. And yes, a lot of fiber optics uses wavelengths that the human eye can't see.

So yes, Never Ever look into a fiber.

Similar story to non terminated SFP modules. (Ie, a fiber module in some equipment without a fiber cable installed into it.)

I hope you're planning on a full Ubiquiti overview.  A PDU would have been cool for them to send as well. Jake really worked some magic getting all that stuff from Ubi, surprised we didn't see any aggregation though.  The 32 cameras alone is quite a feat.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

11:34 Jake: "There's gotta be some data center guy here, that's just sitting here just laughing at us"

I mean, I'm not data center guy, but I was still laughing. 😶

But I feel the pain; some cage nuts are just terrible. Alcatel has also some of the worst cage nuts ever.

The tabs that hook into the holes are always bent so badly, that they barely fit.

@LinusTech Should have used Cat8 cable inside the house instead of Cat6a while all the walls were open, might as well pay a little bit more on the cable with the shielded keystone jack and have a max data rate of 40 Gbps instead of 10Gbps with Cat6a. 10Gbps is fast but if you wanted to upgrade to 25Gbps you are now limited by the cable.

Linus should change the name from House of Dreams to Barbie's Dream House. That's all I can see with that Hot Pink Color.

Linus: I'm putting a server in my house for gaming

Me: Realizing that a server a thousand times smaller than Linus's is going to cost me a fortune.

If my post helped you please hit the "Solved" button below ✅

TL;DR - LTT accounted for PSU related redundancy, but did nothing to deal with other hardware failure from the switches. Other hardware failures are literally just as likely as PSU related failures.

As someone that recently looking into a similarly sized deployment of Ubiquiti gear for a small business, I find it interesting to see that the LTT crew appears to have fallen into the same redundancy fallacy as I initially did regarding the RPS platform.

It's definitely a cool idea, a decentralized secondary PSU for all the networking devices in the rack. It allows for modular design and upgrade potential so that UI can market the same switches to SOHO that don't mind if a switch goes down until a replacement can be sourced, as well as those looking to maximize network up time. That said, by making a product like this available and "easy to implement" it allows for novice network designers like myself and the LTT crew to make a critical mistake in planning for redundancy.

It looks like all of the switches are being connected in a daisy chain, so while they have redundant power, if one of those switches bricks for any reason other than a failed PSU, every network device below it will also be disconnected from the rest of the network. This is extremely poor redundant design.

NetworkChuck has a really great video explaining redundant network design, on the small scale and even scaled out to enterprise scale:

If LTT wants to implement a correctly designed redundant network, they need at least two identical switches on each tier of the network prior to their WAN connection.

If I were designing this network I would use:

• Routing Layer
  • UXG-Pro-US Next-Generation Gateway Pro (Early Access)
    • Distribution Layer
    • USW-Aggregation Switch Aggregation (1)
    • USW-Aggregation Switch Aggregation (2)
      • Access Layer
      • USW-EnterpriseXG-24 Switch Enterprise XG 24 (1)
      • USW-EnterpriseXG-24 Switch Enterprise XG 24 (2)
      • USW-Pro-48-PoE Switch Pro 48 PoE (1)
        • Clients
        • UNVR-Pro Network Video Recorder Pro (1)
        • UNVR Network Video Recorder (1)
        • UI Protect Cameras
        • UI UniFi APs
        • Workstations, Desktops, Servers, Devices, Etc

Starting from your Routing Layer, you would connect the UXG-Pro LAN1 to USW-Aggregation (1) with a 10Gbit DAC cable. Then connect LAN2 to USW-Aggregation (2). This gives your Distribution layer redundancy to the Routing Layer.

To connect your Access Layer redundantly to your now redundant Distribution Layer you would follow:

USW-EnterpriseXG-24 (1) SFP1 connects to USW-Aggregation (1) Port1. USW-EnterpriseXG-24 (1) SFP2 connects to USW-Aggregation (2) Port1. Use 10 Gbit DAC cables.

USW-EnterpriseXG-24 (2) SFP1 connects to USW-Aggregation (1) Port2. USW-EnterpriseXG-24 (2) SFP2 connects to USW-Aggregation (2) Port2. Use 10 Gbit DAC cables.

USW-Pro-48-PoE (1) SFP1 connects to USW-Aggregation (1) Port3. USW-Pro-48-PoE (1) SFP2 connects to USW-Aggregation (2) Port3. Use 10 Gbit DAC cables.

Since your access layer is directly connected to clients/devices, there's not a huge need to make that layer redundant. The clients/devices probably don't have a redundant connected so they are already a single point of failure. You can't connect any Protect series camera to multiple switches AFAIK, so connecting all of your cameras to a single switch IMO is fine. If a camera dies it dies. If a switch PSU dies, you have the RPS to provide a failover. If the switch bricks, having a second wouldn't save the cameras immediately anyway since they can't be connected to more than one switch...

One could argue that even with a single ISP, a high-availability routing configuration would be best. AKA two physical routers at the Routing Layer in a "failover" configuration. If one machine bricks for a non-PSU related reason the other would take over. I do not believe that the UXG-Pro or any UI routing product supports having a second router in the stack. For this I would replace the UI options and use a couple of Netgate XG-7100 1U appliances with expansion cards setup in high availabilty mode. This would give you hardware redundancy on the Routing Layer as well. It's probably overkill if you only have a single ISP though. Without a secondary ISP available to use as a failover, you're probably more likely to have issues with your ISP than with your routing layer.

Just my two cents! I would love to see Linus revise this so it's truely redundant. Purely from an LTT over the top ridiculous level experiment. Would be fun to watch you just completely pull out a switch and have everything in the network keep on chugging along like nothing happened!

Edit: Just forgot to note, the UXG-Pro needs a UI Network controller to manage it. It's not an appliance host like the USG-Pro/USG. However, since this is Linus we're talking about, he'll have plenty of server resources to spin up a simple Linux VM to run the Network Controller locally, or use whatever cloud-accessible one he seemingly connected to in the video already to do this. No need to spend excessive money on a CloudKey or anything like that.

16 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yes, so much yes. @LinusTech this is really, really dangerous! That should not be promoted in any videos, I've seen way too many professionals even doing this because they just don't realize how easy it is to damage their eyes permanently.

A really good and much saver way to do this is to use your cell-phone camera. You can easily see if there's any light there and it works for a lot of the non-visible-to-the-eyes ones too.

18 hours ago, Lurick said:

How else does one upload their brain to the brand new server?? I think the eye is the best most direct access to brain's information! XD

4 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

Yes, so much yes. @LinusTech this is really, really dangerous! That should not be promoted in any videos, I've seen way too many professionals even doing this because they just don't realize how easy it is to damage their eyes permanently.

A really good and much saver way to do this is to use your cell-phone camera. You can easily see if there's any light there and it works for a lot of the non-visible-to-the-eyes ones too.

should just push the idea around racks to have protective glasses. also if the "lasers" are strong enough, is there any warning label about this?

Love the hot pink rack lol.

Linus should look into using rack studs (besides Jake...) instead of cage nuts. They are especially useful for the more...butterfingered of us lot.

Rack fasteners are the solution to a problem, that should have never existed in the first place. They cost a bit more, but are worth every penny.

You can't afford to waste time fumbling with your nuts all the time, like Jake and Linus.

Rittal 19 inch Fastener Mounting Clips, Clip & Go with Contact Holder, Pack of 24

Screenshot_20211117-215042_Amazon Shopping.jpg