Let's make a case designed by the LTT community

hammy

LTT Community Case  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Want to make an LTT Community Designed Case?

• Yes
    • No
    • Turnip (no preference option)

Hi everyone,

Longtime member, mostly lurker in the LTT community. As a fellow nerd with the rest of you, I've had a passion for PC hardware for a long time.  

A few friends and I started up a little case company, we all have careers so this really just in our spare time between family and work. We've been working on some neat design concepts (small form factor stuff, modular cases), nothing to sell yet (prototyping and procurement is so much trickier than it seems) but I was curious to gauge the interest in a community-led case project. 

There's no right or wrong way to start this, but I'd love to make something that's designed by the LTT community for the LTT community. Obviously, I can't promise anything without knowing what the design is, but I'd love to make it available for anybody who wants one to purchase one.

If it gets to that stage, maybe we throw up a kickstarter or an indiegogo to get it off the ground (anyone who has worked with manufacturing before will know the primary obstacle is purchase order size). 

So feel free to vote in the poll: should we make an LTT Community Designed Case?

Why bother? It would come out looking exactly like whatever the f*ck ATX mid-tower is popular right now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Why bother? It would come out looking exactly like whatever the f*ck ATX mid-tower is popular right now.

I think the community here is pretty hardcore. Whatever design or direction we would go in has a lot of potential to be novel or at the very least different than what's out there. 

Personally speaking, I think it'd be neat to see some more affordable plex non-rackmount desktop options for piling a bunch of drives into. Or maybe a more affordable SFFPC case that caters to a specific community desire. Lots of fun options. 

5 minutes ago, hammy said:

I think it'd be neat to see some more affordable plex non-rackmount desktop options for piling a bunch of drives into. Or maybe a more affordable SFFPC case that caters to a specific community desire. Lots of fun options. 

There's the problem right there. What I want in a case probably wont work for you or @aisle9 or anyone else. How do you fit all the RGB in the world into a case where someone else doesn't want any of it, but might want a lot of drive bays and room for multiple GPUs? If we just talk about the front panel. I want no RGB. Mesh. Room for 2 140mm fans or 3 120mm fans. You might want one of those front panels that look like RGB going into the panel like the Inwin 805. How do you plan to make both of those work? Then how do we fit that all into a 1u server rack for people here that want them?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

There's the problem right there. What I want in a case probably wont work for you or @aisle9 or anyone else. How do you fit all the RGB in the world into a case where someone else doesn't want any of it, but might want a lot of drive bays and room for multiple GPUs? If we just talk about the front panel. I want no RGB. Mesh. Room for 2 140mm fans or 3 120mm fans. You might want one of those front panels that look like RGB going into the panel like the Inwin 805. How do you plan to make both of those work? Then how do we fit that all into a 1u server rack for people here that want them?

I think it would be a multi-step process for sure. First step would be to decide on a form factor, and begin there. This wouldn't be "take every person's idea" and implement it, but a process of narrowing down a case design that reflects ideas and concepts the community wants to see. I'm sure there'd be lots of polls and concepts thrown out there, it'd be up to me and everyone else here to determine what seems like the most fun and interesting. 

Obviously it's impossible to make something that's everything to everyone, but it is possible to make something appealing that fits a niche nothing else is fulfilling. 

400mm fan. That's it. That's the whole case. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

400mm fan. That's it. That's the whole case. 

Let me hit you with this one...

Two 400mm fans...

Just now, hammy said:

Two 400mm fans...

🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

Shut Up And Take My Money! | Know Your Meme

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Itd end up being a case similar to a meshify c if I had to guess, but like tiny for only itx/dtx boards, and have a glass side.

And also having built in cable routing

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And also having built in cable routing

I started thinking Seasonic Syncro route. How nice would it be to have that set up in something like a Lian Li o11. PSU in the back, "syncro" acts as a pass through on the top/right side of motherboard and then short little extension cables. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

A zebra is a horse designed by committee. You're thinking the community could design some super case that would be the best at everything, but what would really happen is that it would end up as a hodge-podge of things stripped from other cases on the market, good at nothing in particular, and reviled by as many as liked it.

As just one example, I don't really care for RGB, like clean minimalism,  and care almost exclusively about airflow. There is at least one person out there that has the exact opposite sensibilities as me, and would hate my case with a burning passion.

Best to leave this to the existing market. There's already fantastic cases out there than span the entire spectrum of things people like.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

Shut Up And Take My Money! | Know Your Meme

I'm gonna design a case where the side panels are just a pair of Box Fans, and the rest of the internals are suspended between them!

There are many good cases available already and no reason to think that the LTT community would be capable of designing one that was superior to them, even if some kind of consensus could be achieved. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, hammy said:

Two 400mm fans...

old school been done

What happened to PC cases with side panel fans? Did they die with the  popularity of tempered glass windows?: hardware

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

intake from bottem to top for mb and gpu up front

what about rads...easy pedestal

ill have to work on one with multi gpus thow...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

hold on i see some flaws...

ltt pc 1.png

Edited by thrasher_565

that gets you a solid front. rotatable mb tray

LTTPC 3.png

Edited by thrasher_565