My Experience visiting a Local Store to buy a Budget Laptop. (I don't know Whether to Judge this as a Horrible Experience)

zenith_lal

So, Last day I went to a decent digital outlet in my state in India to purchase a Low end Budget level Laptop for my daily Educational Online class and So on and so forth. to give a bit of background, I was aiming for a 11th gen i3 with an SSD. (14inch)

Even though I am not a tech expert but a noob in tech, I ended up in an argument with the sales Person in the shop who claimed to be an PC technician for more than 10 years.

While asking for the RAM specs, I had some questions about the RAM in the model We were looking out for,
Me: So this Laptop has a removable 8gb RAM right?
Sales: Yes
Me: Is it upgradable if needed In the future?
Me: Upto how much RAM can I upgrade it into?
Sales: The Laptop Supports upto 12GB of Ram (I still guess it currently has 4 gb soldered and 4 gb as removable even though I ended up buying)
Sales: (adding to that), But Your Processor can't carry more that 8gb of Memory, So you shouldn't upgrade it because i3 can't handle more than 8gb of memory

I was shocked at this moment, I have personally other Laptops with i3 being upgraded to 12 gigs and running okay.
on stating the above to salesperson, 
Sales: That might be in i3 older than the 11th gen, 11th gen can't handle more than 8gb..
Me: This is a i3 1115g4 right? the Processor page has a 64 limit and the Laptop manufacturer says upto 12 GB... Then whats up
Sales: i3 can't access more than 8GB of memory "SPEEDS" and will start throwing errors once upgraded

He kept on mentioning 8GB as the RAM SPEED rather than using any other words like RAM capacity may be (IDK, I am no expert)

Me: 8GB is the RAM storage right? RAM speed will be its clock speed which is 3200 MHZ???
Sales: Have you came hear reading some random google search results and Watching some youtube videos Which suggest to upgrade you RAM?? WHat do you know about RAM?? What is a RAM?? reply to me?

Me as a 16 year Old, was almost obliged to give an answer to this

Me: RAM is a high speed Volatile Storage which Programs and OS use to store and retrieve important temporary files important for them to run smoothly
Sales: Where did you read this from?? Which google page??? RAM is the device that is used to boost your CPU's speed.... and if You want to upgrade in future to 12 gb, buy a i5 11th gen.

I was almost given up at this moment as a 16 year old who can't reply to a adult sales person who claims to be an Expert at this field for quite a While

Who is wrong here, even my father tried to convince me that He is a professional and is true about what he is saying.... I don't know what would have been the thing if it was someone who have never used to hearing about RAM?? OR I am still confused whether I am wrong??

The device in Talk is LENOVO IDEAPAD SLIM3 14 inch Intel i3 1115g4 512GB SSD. I ended up buying it

Is the Facts from sales person true?? 

I felt very bad yesterday

lesson

those sales rep only try to sell there stuff

they don't care who are they selling it too

in my opinion if the guy think all he said was true he is a f....ing Moran

being expert for (claimd)10 years be like :

RAM is the device that is used to boost your CPU's speed.... and if You want to upgrade in future to 12 gb, buy a i5 11th gen

cant stop laughing at this😃

i upgraded my very old laptop with i5 2430m to 16GB and an SSD

i wanna see the look on his face when he sees my laptop🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, zenith_lal said:

So, Last day I went to a decent digital outlet in my state in India to purchase a Low end Budget level Laptop for my daily Educational Online class and So on and so forth. to give a bit of background, I was aiming for a 11th gen i3 with an SSD. (14inch)

Even though I am not a tech expert but a noob in tech, I ended up in an argument with the sales Person in the shop who claimed to be an PC technician for more than 10 years.

While asking for the RAM specs, I had some questions about the RAM in the model We were looking out for,
Sales: The Laptop Supports upto 12GB of Ram (I still guess it currently has 4 gb soldered and 4 gb as removable even though I ended up buying)
Sales: (adding to that), But Your Processor can't carry more that 8gb of Memory, So you shouldn't upgrade it because i3 can't handle more than 8gb of memory

I was shocked at this moment, I have personally other Laptops with i3 being upgraded to 12 gigs and running okay.
Sales: That might be in i3 older than the 11th gen, 11th gen can't handle more than 8gb..
Me: This is a i3 1115g4 right? the Processor page has a 64 limit and the Laptop manufacturer says upto 12 GB... Then whats up
Sales: i3 can't access more than 8GB of memory "SPEEDS" and will start throwing errors once upgraded

He kept on mentioning 8GB as the RAM SPEED rather than using any other words like RAM capacity may be (IDK, I am no expert)

Me: 8GB is the RAM storage right? RAM speed will be its clock speed which is 3200 MHZ???
Sales: Have you came hear reading some random google search results and Watching some youtube videos Which suggest to upgrade you RAM?? WHat do you know about RAM?? What is a RAM?? reply to me?

Me: RAM is a high speed Volatile Storage which Programs and OS use to store and retrieve important temporary files important for them to run smoothly
Sales: Where did you read this from?? Which google page??? RAM is the device that is used to boost your CPU's speed.... and if You want to upgrade in future to 12 gb, buy a i5 11th gen.

I was almost given up at this moment as a 16 year old who can't reply to a adult sales person who claims to be an Expert at this field for quite a While

Who is wrong here, even my father tried to convince me that He is a professional and is true about what he is saying.... I don't know what would have been the thing if it was someone who have never used to hearing about RAM?? OR I am still confused whether I am wrong??

The device in Talk is LENOVO IDEAPAD SLIM3 14 inch Intel i3 1115g4 512GB SSD. I ended up buying it

plus 

yeah you can upgrade to 12 gig no problem

just keep in mind to match the speeds of the soldered ram with the one your buying

3 minutes ago, Alireza said:

they don't care who are they selling it too

I asked him once whether AMD option is available for this same model (just wanted to compare 2 variants), His reply was AMD laptops are Costly and will cost more than 950USD (converted from 70k INR)
I knew for a fact that there are good Laptops with 40000 series in the price range I was looking in  (almost 600USD, Converted from 44k INR

7 minutes ago, Alireza said:

i upgraded my very old laptop with i5 2430m to 16GB and an SSD

I have seen similar case In with my sister and my friends, and Mentioning this, his claim was this is something new with the 11th gen devices..

7 minutes ago, Alireza said:

plus 

yeah you can upgrade to 12 gig no problem

just keep in mind to match the speeds of the soldered ram with the one your buying

Thanks for the Advice... will definitely keep in mind  : )

Just now, zenith_lal said:

I asked him once whether AMD option is available for this same model (just wanted to compare 2 variants), His reply was AMD laptops are Costly and will cost more than 950USD (converted from 70k INR)
I knew for a fact that there are good Laptops with 40000 series in the price range I was looking in  (almost 600USD, Converted from 44k INR

I have seen similar case In with my sister and my friends, and Mentioning this, his claim was this is something new with the 11th gen devices..

don't lesson to him

watch some YouTube

read some articles

you see that you can easily upgrade it 

47 minutes ago, zenith_lal said:

It's unlikely the sales person was a technician at all. Maybe 10 years in sales, which is still very questionable. His only job is to get you to buy the most expensive product he can squeeze out of you.

The Asus product page states it was validated with up to 12GB of DDR4. The only question is whether it's user upgradable.

This random site i found, suggests it is. https://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-lenovo-ideapad-3-15-disassembly-and-upgrade-options/

Edited by Nayr438

5 hours ago, zenith_lal said:

I feel like you really need to show him this

IMG_20210912_004613.thumb.jpg.6b1d893fea4df15c4dfc556bf86f25d8.jpg

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208652/intel-core-i3-1115g4-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

That was the official intel "spec sheet" for that cpu, the laptop it self seems upgradeable (one stick only) like Nayr438 said 

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Some lessons I’d learned. 

If you don’t need a laptop immediately, would consider ordering online. 

If you need one soon-ish, have some sort of device on hand to research devices there without salesperson input. 

There are some good salespeople out there that know their stuff, but most I’ve met do not tend to know what they’re selling. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Some lessons I’d learned. 

If you don’t need a laptop immediately, would consider ordering online. 

If you need one soon-ish, have some sort of device on hand to research devices there without salesperson input. 

There are some good salespeople out there that know their stuff, but most I’ve met do not tend to know what they’re selling. 

I was looking for an option for a Long time, That Is Why I couldn't believe what he said to me.

There are obviously good salespeople. Even our @LinusTech was also a Salesperson right?

19 hours ago, Freakwise said:

I feel like you really need to show him this

IMG_20210912_004613.thumb.jpg.6b1d893fea4df15c4dfc556bf86f25d8.jpg

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208652/intel-core-i3-1115g4-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

That was the official intel "spec sheet" for that cpu, the laptop it self seems upgradeable (one stick only) like Nayr438 said 

As far as I investigate, I realised that my Laptop has a 4gb Soldered + a RAM slot which currently has a 4gb RAM and it is a Slot which can tolerate upto an 8gb module...

I showed that person this same page from ARK Intel, For him just to reply to me that 
"Intel is saying their chip can carry this much, Lenovo says mother board can carry 12gb(This is the actual thing, right? the Spec page from the OEM), but You won't be able to upgrade above 8GB in budget i3 11th gens, If you want more than 8gb, Go for i5 11th gen, and If you need more than 16gb, go for i5 GAMING EDITION CPUs"

My sudden reply was "What are gaming edition CPU's?? Do you mean the H and the HK Processor series?"(reffering to a techquickie video I watched recently in my Mind) ...
He replies "I am not talking about the letters in the CPU name, I am talking about GAMING EDITION i5 Chips"

2 hours ago, zenith_lal said:

"Intel is saying their chip can carry this much, Lenovo says mother board can carry 12gb(This is the actual thing, right? the Spec page from the OEM), but You won't be able to upgrade above 8GB in budget i3 11th gens, If you want more than 8gb, Go for i5 11th gen, and If you need more than 16gb, go for i5 GAMING EDITION CPUs"

Does he actually meant 'you' can't upgrade than a total of 8gb on the system or than 8 gigabyte of that one stick? (though it's also kinda dumb since 16 & 32gb stick exist, yeah lenovo only "verified" that a 12gig is the "this is the config that %100 guaranteed works" but it's not like you can't add more, so there's that...)

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

On 9/11/2021 at 5:31 AM, zenith_lal said:

this guy is stupid, 8gb is the amount of RAM, 3200mhz is the speed. RAM does not boost your cpus speed, faster and more ram boosts your cpu, not ram itself, ram itself is as you said, "RAM is a high speed Volatile Storage which Programs and OS use to store and retrieve important temporary files important for them to run smoothly"

29 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

this guy is stupid, 8gb is the amount of RAM, 3200mhz is the speed. RAM does not boost your cpus speed, faster and more ram boosts your cpu, not ram itself, ram itself is as you said, "RAM is a high speed Volatile Storage which Programs and OS use to store and retrieve important temporary files important for them to run smoothly"

Actually faster and higher amounts of RAM will boost the Computer's overall speed so the OS doesn't have to swap to much slower Storage.

The CPU will still run at the same Clocks.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Actually faster and higher amounts of RAM will boost the Computer's overall speed so the OS doesn't have to swap to much slower Storage.

The CPU will still run at the same Clocks.

yeah faster ram speeds up the whole computer

7 hours ago, Coastqr said:

yeah faster ram speeds up the whole computer

The amount of Memory matters more then the Speeds does.

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

The amount of Memory matters more then the Speeds does.

This.  Also, you can never upgrade the speed past what the soldered memory runs at.

So, that's going to be your limiting factor in a laptop like this.

1 hour ago, Edmond Dantes said:

next time a sales person at a computer store refers to a website as a google page, kick them in the nuts.

Unless it is actually is a Google Page...

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Unless it is actually is a Google Page...

i guess, but you know aint nobody goin to google pages. unless your the  ted bundy type hahha

The only thing that guy is an expert in, is upselling people into buying something they don't need with false claims.

He's not a PC technician. He's a PC salesman. He doesn't know how a computer works, much less how to find the correct info. The processor page of Intel is not some random google page.

The CPU supports 64GB. Now whether the BIOS of the motherboard can handle it, that's up to Lenovo, I'm going to assume it can easily handle 12GB, if not more, even if Lenovo claim it max out at 12GB. 

Never trust sales people. They'd sell you something you already own while making you think you didn't own it.

Also, to be honest... The way you said he spoke to you, trying to downplay it and make you feel like you are doing something wrong... Is very typical of scammers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't know, this reads like a bad /r/thathappened post. don't know where you live or what kind of store it was, but if it was a computer store, I have a hard time believing they would put someone on the floor to deal with customers that lacks the knowledge.

Even if it was a multi department store, the people in pc sales have at least a basic understanding of computers, not just a random staff member being told "you're in computers today"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Never bother with a sales rep especially when you know exactly what you want. Take a look at the laptop you like, then get a sales rep to get it for you, go to check out pay and leave. That person claimed to be a PC technician is BSing.

Do not feel bad about what happened, that sales person/technician is in the wrong from spreading misinformation about i3 can only go 8GB of ram.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list