Best antivirus?

brownninja97

I've only heard bad things about norton :/ like my friend said it considers other anti viruses a virus.

OT: I personally use avira because i can have it for my phone and PC and just sync everything up nicely.

Just to add, AVG now has a free product called AVG Zen and all of the security suites, Free and paid, Android and Windows will have this.  You make an AVG account and login to both and the settings sync up as well as you can see everything on one control panel.   So if you want to sync up everything, you can use this now too.  Because Avira, well.  Their antivirus signatures are good but their zero day protection is pretty poor.  This will actually lead on pretty well to my next thing

I too have a friend who thinks antivirus software is from hell.  And he thinks Antivirus software companies make the viruses.  This is absolutely not true.  The only reason he thinks this (I think) is because of Norton and Mcafee, they are unoptimized overpriced peices of crap.

Yet. these days antivirus software is completley recommended in 99% of circumstances.  And Not MSE or Windows Defender kind of antiviruses.  Antiviruses that can stop a threat that is unknown to its signature database. 

You see, there are viruses I sometimes see that can bypass antivirus signature detection, they create a number of copies as soon as they hit windows.  Often this malware is less than 1 week old, meaning 90% of the time with every antivirus even Bitdefender the signatures wont hold up to all the variants. 

The malware often hides in critical system32 files, meaning if the antivirus deletes them, windows becomes broke.  If you had a behavior blocker, a Host Intrusion Prevention System or a fully patched sandbox, you could probably stop this from happening.  However, once it happens its hard to get rid of and you often need to Heal/Disinfect the file.

Disinfection fails about 30% of the time, simply because its a hard, tedious process that during the time often needs 100% cpu.  So its better to prevent infection before allowing them to enter.

The scary part is, allot of these threats are on harmless webpages that were compromised or in ad services on harmless webpages.

well, there are none. 

malware =/= virus

security holes =/= virus

but OS X ...

... has an integrated malware/virus scanner (without a special name like Windows Defender)

So -> "What is the best Anti-Virus you use?"

OS X

OSX does not have an integrated antivirus scanner...  They have gatekeeper which is like crappy UAC for windows.   There is antivirus software FOR OSX because OSX DOESN'T have an antivirus.  The antivirus in OSX is you, you could quite easily get infected on OSX, the same way as on windows.  OSX just has more general protection eg: needing a password to verify installation, crappy gatekeeper, frequent hardware/software patches.   Even then.  OSX is fully in the open for malware and virus infections. 

If you think the malware for OSX are "viruses" you are wrong the majority of them are called Trojans.  A computer virus is an old term, like back before the internet old.  A trojan is a program designed to look like something good, and it often works to deceive the user however is bundled with malicious software aka malware.  Trojans can be the easiest things to remove or the hardest, they greatly vary.  

Macs aren't antivirus software.  OSX is better than security at windows.  But its not an antivirus and CERTAINLY doesn't make up for one.

OSX does not have an integrated antivirus scanner...  They have gatekeeper which is like crappy UAC for windows.   There is antivirus software FOR OSX because OSX DOESN'T have an antivirus.  The antivirus in OSX is you, you could quite easily get infected on OSX, the same way as on windows.  ...

sigh ... they have ... I have even told you the name "XProtect/File Quarantine". There are currently 37 signatures tested for

(those signatures can be found in System > Library > CoreSerivces > CorTypes.nundle >> Contents > Ressources > XProtext.plist)

The antivirus software packages from "security" companies mainly look for Windows viruses ;)

No it is much harder to get infected on OS X, then it is on Windows.

Much AVG propaganda?

Viruses

A computer virus is a type of malware that propagates by inserting a copy of itself into and becoming part of another program. It spreads from one computer to another, leaving infections as it travels. (pretty much like a real virus ... no know OS X Virus to date - many known Windows viruses on the other hand)

daMlS66.png

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Is it okay to use the free malwarebytes?
or i need to buy it for premium use?

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

Awareness, Avast, Malwarebytes, and the occasional virustotal upload in a blue moon.

should i need to buy premium of malwarebytes?

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes but i never actually need them 'cause safe browsing is the best protection  B)

do i need to buy the premium malwarebytes?

do i need to buy the premium malwarebytes?

Is it okay to use the free malwarebytes?

or i need to buy it for premium use?

Please don't spam.

Please don't spam.

i quoted somebody i thinks it's not considered as spam?

i quoted somebody i thinks it's not considered as spam?

What @Windspeed36 means is that the 3 posts which where posted within 15 minutes of each other are considered as spam. You can easily just go to edit post and add it in instead of creating a new post.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

What @Windspeed36 means is that the 3 posts which where posted within 15 minutes of each other are considered as spam. You can easily just go to edit post and add it in instead of creating a new post.

oh i see :D thanks for the info :)

Your mind is the best antivirus. :)

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

Your mind is the best antivirus. :)

I came here to post this. Common sense of what you click on is the best anti virus

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

I use Bullguard and Malwarebytes in tandem.

Kept me pretty safe over the years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

windows defender... and this

tumblr_mkwbzlVvrc1rlynuno1_1280.jpg

Just a random mexican dude

were you using AVG 2013 or 2014? 

And did you report the bugs, glitches and/or issues to AVG?  I've never once heard of AVG breaking Windows and stopping perfectly safe downloads.

avg 2014 and I did report it. I had to use my windows repair disc to get my pc to work again. and it stopped every single steam download. I don't think that it's common to happen because I never heard of something like that anywhere but I decided to not risk it again and changed back to avira. 

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

What is the Best Anti-Virus you use?

Atm i'm using AVAST

Kaspersky 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

I use Malwarebytes Professional, Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Anti-Spyware.

If any hassle is found on my pc it is immediately removed and improved.

None, I don't download/install suspicious files.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

NOD32 Antivirus + MalwareBytes Free. Thinking of getting MalwareBytes Premium because it is a brilliant piece of software.

You can get viruses from programs you download without knowing. The thing is mac users are overconfident thinking they are not vulnerable at all. In fact coding a virus is very simple, it's just that nobody really cares about mac since not that many people use it. Maybe I should be saying your mac is not immune to malware rather than viruses then.

It's not immune. Does anyone claim it is? There are undeniably fewer viruses for Macs.

Did you even read that? 90% of those are too old to be relevant anymore, and the latest one is a Java vulnerability.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I just recommend malwarebytes free as a secondary manual scanner.  Also, if you want to buy something get Kaspersky, its a freaking tank.  

sigh ... they have ... I have even told you the name "XProtect/File Quarantine". There are currently 37 signatures tested for

(those signatures can be found in System > Library > CoreSerivces > CorTypes.nundle >> Contents > Ressources > XProtext.plist)

The antivirus software packages from "security" companies mainly look for Windows viruses ;)

No it is much harder to get infected on OS X, then it is on Windows.

Much AVG propaganda?

Viruses

A computer virus is a type of malware that propagates by inserting a copy of itself into and becoming part of another program. It spreads from one computer to another, leaving infections as it travels. (pretty much like a real virus ... no know OS X Virus to date - many known Windows viruses on the other hand)

daMlS66.png

Mate, I don't mean to be rude but I think anyone saying their computer is invulnerable to malware is just digging their own grave. 

A windows user can go fine without an antivirus.  But does it mean their computer is invulnerable?  No!  A mac might have a built in antivirus but can that catch everything?  No!  

I guess norton 360

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Mate, I don't mean to be rude but I think anyone saying their computer is invulnerable to malware is just digging their own grave. 

A windows user can go fine without an antivirus.  But does it mean their computer is invulnerable?  No!  A mac might have a built in antivirus but can that catch everything?  No!  

MATE, I don't want to be rude either, but I NEVER said, that my or any other computer is invulnerable to malware.

Still there is much much much much much more malware for Windows, then there is for Mac.

And the (known) malware for Mac is in most cases really harmless.

Also it is much harder to do harm, as the user has to enter his admin password before a malicious software can do anything meaningful.

If you are a user who only uses programs from stores like the App store, steam or trusted websites like adobe and don't blindly trust any popups in your browser it is almost impossible to catch any malware. (This can't be said for Windows)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log