I think LTT community killed this channel

Skvader

Back in early 2018 LTT released a video NCIX Bankruptcy Auction - Day 2 FINALE. In that video Linus attempts to purchase his old silver play button, but it is then instead bought by a kid with a YT channel called MindChop. On the MindChop channel, his last video from 3 years back is filled with hateful comments from LTT community saying stuff like "Give linus his play button back" and "You bought your subscribers" etc. He hasn't posted since.

Some people can be mean and vicious for no good reason. I can tell you that Linus would not have encouraged such distasteful behavior.  Some of those comments probably weren't even from fans of Linus, I would willing to bet that some of those comments even cam from his own fan base.

But we will never really know. 🤷‍♂️

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The channel was mostly generic 'Top 10' videos without high viewer counts despite having over a million subs.  It's quite possible that, despite the sub count, the channel was not profitable and the user simply moved on to other things.  I mean, really, how long can you keep grinding out top 10 videos, in a crowded market, while not hitting the view count (The number that actually makes you money) to make it profitable, before you just abandon it and move on?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 hour ago, crazzp said:

Many humans show their ugly side when they can hide behind anonymity. The Internet just amplifies the worst in us. 

Ah yes, the greater internet fuckwad theory.

To be honest, I don't doubt that the incessant abuse the channel might have attracted cause the person/people behind it to abandon it. It's hard to emphasize with someone in this situation if you haven't been in one, but I've seen what this kind of abuse does to people often enough. And it's not even because of whatever Linus said or did in that video. People just get weird online for a multitude of reasons. The biggest contributor I see are parasocial relationships, i.e. when people start seeing their favorite online creators as their personal friends. Because hey, I'm spending time every day watching Linus, I know what his house looks like, I see how he interacts with his employees (interactions which are styled in a amicable manner so it makes it appear like all the LMG people are also close personal friends), I know their in-jokes, etc. so by proxy of viewing all of that, I must also be part of their friend group.

You can see that whenever one of these online personalities encounters their fans out on the streets somewhere and the fans start acting like the creator is one of their best buddies. And you always see the pained or stressed expression these creators take on whenever they find themselves in one of those situations. And when your fans start thinking you're their friend, the "us vs them" dynamic starts taking a hold. It doesn't take much for people to see themselves as part of a group and everyone not in said group as a potential enemy. Hence, why people go after other creators or regular people they perceive as "the enemy". And it usually doesn't' even help if the creator specifically tells people not to harass others over something, because in their mind whatever their doing doesn't constitute harassment.

I just watched the video again, and the guy behind it is on camera and the channel is even mentioned in there. I'm sure that when Linus and that guy parted ways there were no ill feelings between them. But I still feel that Linus probably shouldn't have publicized all that info about him, because this kind of ultra-partisan behavior should be expected. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

44 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

The channel was mostly generic 'Top 10' videos without high viewer counts despite having over a million subs.  It's quite possible that, despite the sub count, the channel was not profitable and the user simply moved on to other things.  I mean, really, how long can you keep grinding out top 10 videos, in a crowded market, while not hitting the view count (The number that actually makes you money) to make it profitable, before you just abandon it and move on?

I agree, the channel wasn't gonna last forever. It just sucks to go to his last video and see pages of comments basically bullying the guy. Whether he made crappy content or bought a play button doesn't really justify that.

6 minutes ago, Skvader said:

I agree, the channel wasn't gonna last forever. It just sucks to go to his last video and see pages of comments basically bullying the guy. Whether he made crappy content or bought a play button doesn't really justify that.

Worse, I bet you that Daddy paid for that YouTube button and now he doesn't even work on his channel. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

While it's entirely possible the LTT community (which consists largely of 14 year olds let's face it) posted a bunch of sh*t in their comments section, I don't see how the LTT community would push the existing MindChop viewers away and stop them from watching?

Like why would those viewers care about Linus's play button? Or did they perhaps stop watching for some other reason, perhaps because the videos were boring? 

The first NCIX Bankruptcy auction video was posted March 7th 2018, while the last Mindchop video was posted November 30th of 2017, or 3 months apart.

A YouTuber not uploading in 3 months or so, especially after uploading one every week or two, is considered done for anyways, isn't it?

A famous saying is "Any publicity is good publicity" and an active YouTuber would've benefitted from promotion like appearing in a LinusTechTips video, but it seems like this channel was considered done anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

The first NCIX Bankruptcy auction video was posted March 7th 2018, while the last Mindchop video was posted November 30th of 2017, or 3 months apart.

A YouTuber not uploading in 3 months or so, especially after uploading one every week or two, is considered done for anyways, isn't it?

A famous saying is "Any publicity is good publicity" and an active YouTuber would've benefitted from promotion like appearing in a LinusTechTips video, but it seems like this channel was considered done anyways.

Was about to say this

That channel, from what I remember, was inactive even before the video of ncix was released

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

to 10 videos you can make for free and copy and past from other top 10 videos as long as its not a 1 to 1 copy. i was looking in to make money on youtube and that's what i found. same gos for music

bu there are people that put some effort in to them with comantry even if the facts are wrong. 

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, minibois said:

It really begs the question: Why did he want the button so bad if he'd abandoned the channel for at least 3 months by then.

I'm not saying it's a scheme or anything, just someone clearly has some weird priorities.

The fact that someone bought the play button makes it worthless past the material's value. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

18 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

It really begs the question: Why did he want the button so bad if he'd abandoned the channel for at least 3 months by then.

I'm not saying it's a scheme or anything, just someone clearly has some weird priorities.

All I can think of is bragging rights, just to show it off. I believe the plan was to etch his own channel name on it, but it's been a while so my memory on the matter is a bit hazy. 

Maybe even just to pad resumes. It's like student council members in my opinion. They'll just abandon their post a few months into their term and drag their feet on everything.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

The last time I watched the NCIX auction videos has been years ago, but I believe he wanted the silver plate, because he didn't get it for his channel for some reason. Begs the question though, why not ask YouTube for a new plate? I think it's possible to get a new plate for a small fee; someone made a video about it a couple years ago.

To be fair, the NCIX auctions were 22nd of February, which means the channel was abandoned for a little under 3 months (84 days).

The whole situation was just very weird, not made better by the comments made on that guy's videos, but I would also not attribute those comments to the demise of the channel either.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 2 weeks later...

And nothing of value was lost.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16