Apple could have avoided the App Store mess by listening to Schiller in 2011

13 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

All the console makers, or the phone manufacturer would have to do is hide sideloading in the settings, and make it off by default, so only the people that know what to look for would be enabling it. I really would welcome sideloading on consoles that way the device isn't so limited in what it can do.

It doesn't affect anything unless you choose to sideload, something the average consumer doesn't do anyway. And there isn't any competition if you are stuck in Apple's ecosystem.

And people using scare tactics to say sideloading is bad is very misleading, what benefit do you have to say sideloading is bad? Less choice isn't a good thing. Also there have been security vulnerabilities in the app store.

The act of allowing things to be sideloaded in the os would create another avenue for security issues. Sure there might be some vulnerabilities in the app store but that doesn't justify adding more vulnerabilities and attack vectors simply for "competition". The biggest issue becomes can Apple even verify if sideloaded app stores are legitimate without being accused of being anticompetitive?

Everyone, please calm down as this post wasn't made to cause controversy or spark arguments. It was made to inform. 

This post was not for Apple mocking, or trying to promote one OS over another.

I am not an Anti-Apple person (as a matter of fact I have an iPhone) or a person who likes the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

I ask everyone to calm down, and I recognise some good points here but some are only for purposes of attention or controversy.

I ask once again, to remain calm. You can have your own opinion but please disagree peacefully and calmly.

Sorry for the waffle

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. It's Apple's own devices with Apple's own OS and Apple's own store and API ecosystem. They can and should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Google however is not in the same position. If all Google did was make their phones and Android for them with GooglePlay as app store, I'd have same position on the matter. But since Google makes the OS, license its services to 3rd parties, they can't just do whatever they want because so many others depend on it and it's not "take it or leave it" position there like with Apple. Apple is single entity among many like Samsung, Oppo, Sony, Nokia, HTC, Realme, Xiaomi etc. If Google plays it like this, then everyone but Apple get affected. Notice the difference?

And because Apple spent billions developing everything themselves, they should now be punished because they are successful? That's just idiotic. Evil corporation or not.

Should I also demand things because I don't want anything to do with Google yet it's present on 3/4 of devices? No, I didn't want Google in my life anymore so I ditched all their services and bought an iPhone. Don't like Apple's App Store so much? Well, then go with Android then. Do the opposite of what I've done.

@Brooksie359

I'm also tired of this tired old bullshit argument about Apple's ecosystem too. Everyone whining how they are limited and locked in. Buuuulshit. You're not locked it any more than you're locked into Android's crap infested with Google. If I can use iPhone and pick Android I can migrate my entire life from iPhone to Android in like an hour. And I won't lose ANY functionality. Because I'm not using a single service from Google or Apple. And if I'm allowed to do that, then how am I restricted or limited in any way?

The excuse of custom ROM's and sideloading is just as stupid. Custom ROM's are all worthless and riddled with problems and then dealing with unlocked bootloader and apps whining over it was the cherry on top. And often ROM's get even less support than official ones. You may be lucky and supporters maintain it for 10 years or you may just be unlucky to have wrong device for which maintainers drop support in 2 years coz they are busy with their life or whatever. And last time I tried it I was perpetually stuck on nightly builds. Stupid updates every day, yay and hoping they don't break anything and when they do good luck finding which one fixes it while doesn't break other stuff again. Sideloading as much as everyone is harping about it, it's a VERY niche thing and it's mostly used by people who use custom ROM's without Gapps and despite how loud they are, they are a teeny tiny minority. And by people who use pirated apps coz they are cheap assholes. For normal people, if app isn't on the whatever app store, it basically doesn't exist.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:11 PM, VixAAT said:

Everyone, please calm down as this post wasn't made to cause controversy or spark arguments. It was made to inform. 

This post was not for Apple mocking, or trying to promote one OS over another.

I am not an Anti-Apple person (as a matter of fact I have an iPhone) or a person who likes the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

I ask everyone to calm down, and I recognise some good points here but some are only for purposes of attention or controversy.

I ask once again, to remain calm. You can have your own opinion but please disagree peacefully and calmly.

Sorry for the waffle

I mean the post is specifically talking about one email backing a certain view of an argument that has been made 🤷. Idk how that wouldn't result in arguments regardless how civil they may be. 

On 6/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, poochyena said:

not even really an issue now. Not a real issue at least, just one Epic kinda made up.

It is certainly something the buyer needs to be aware when making the choice to go with Apple and to purchase from the store.

I don't think it is an issue though, just more of a way for people to dig at Apple for marketing and other purposes. A valid dig but not a big issue. 

Personally I would like it reviewed and refined if needed but it isn't going to stop me making purchases or switching from Apple.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 6/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, VixAAT said:

Summary

Nearly 10 years ago, Phil Schiller wrote an email to Eddy Cue and Steve Jobs with the title of 'HTML5 Poses Threat to Flash and the App Store' where the first part of the extract reads 'Do we think our 70/30 split will last forever?' In this email he says how Apple should lower their taxes on the App Store, revealing at that time made a billion USD from App Store tax, and suggesting that they should lower the percentage if they know they will not suffer a loss in App Store income and maintain rates.

That really wasn't what he said at all.

First, he actually said he supported the 30/70 split at that time. Also, he did not reveal Apple made a billion from their cut of the app store. He said…"once we are making over a billion a year in profit from the app store" so he was clearly referring to some future time.

Basically his point was that at some time in the future competitive pressure would force Apple to lower their cut and they should consider lowering it before competition forces them to because then they would be doing it from a position of power. He also thought the time to consider such a change would be after they were making over 1 billion in profit from the app store (which wasn't happening at the time).

Well, competition never forced them to change their prices and they made billions from the app store. In any event, the money they made over all these years will more than cover any settlement/fines they are asked to pay by the EU, USA, etc.

If Apple is even only partially able to blunt some of the proposed regulations it could mean billions to them. However, even if they don't, and the app store revenue is greatly curtailed, they will still be ahead profit-wise running the store like they did up until governments forced the change on them.

-kp

On 6/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, RejZoR said:

It's Apple's own devices with Apple's own OS and Apple's own store and API ecosystem.

So people pay $1000+ just to rent them?,

Come on,don't try to justify their ugly practices with that excuse.

Once they sell those devices they are no longer theirs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/24/2021 at 4:07 AM, NeuesTestament said:

I never understood why it was okay for Apple to lockdown their mobile platform completely. If that were done by 1990 Microsoft they would have been fucked. I guess Apple has the better lobbyist.

A lot of it comes from Apple's market share.

Antitrust cases can only really move forward when the alleged abuser has dominant market share — enough that the lack of choice significantly hurts choice across the industry. Apple has never had that kind of clout in phones or computers, even if it still represents a significant chunk of the phone market.

Google and Microsoft, however, do have that kind of dominance. Microsoft in the 1990s wasn't just squeezing rivals, it was doing so knowing that it was squelching competition across the entire industry. If Apple got to the point where it led the market in computers or phones... then yes, by all means force it to open things up.

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

So people pay $1000+ just to rent them?,

Come on,don't try to justify their ugly practices with that excuse.

Once they sell those devices they are no longer theirs.

The ecosystem that makes these "not their devices anymore" actually be useful is. I mean, look where it got so many attempts where ecosystems were s**t. Symbian, Microsoft Windows Mobile, BadaOS. You can make amazing device that isn't yours anymore when you sell it, but if you have an ecosystem that works really well, you'll be doing fine. Apple is certainly in the second category whether you all like it or not. Their ecosystem is incredibly well maintained.