Wikipedia isn't Scholarly meaning?

whm1974

I mentioned Wikipedia to new Employee of the Mental Health Acency That handles my Housing and Meds. That was awhile ago and he mentioned that Wikipedia is is not Scholarly. No farther explaination why... Perhaps I should have snidely told he that I never claimed it was....

AFAIK such Papers are either outdated and/or Books long out of Print... Or behind some Expensive Paywall...

I see Wikipedia Valuable for Citations to look up.

Found this:

https://www.ititser.com/why-wikipedia-is-not-suitable-for-academic-research/

Because Wikipedia can be edited by everyone. It doesn’t need to undergo any sort of peer-review compared to a textbook which undergoing a panel review or a journal where objectives, methodologies, and others are reviewed. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Because Wikipedia can be edited by everyone. It doesn’t need to undergo any sort of peer-review compared to a textbook which undergoing a panel review or a journal where objectives, methodologies, and others are reviewed. 

To be fair: The Creators and Editors of Wikipedia never claimed that the Site was Scholarly to begin with. Is it Useful? Well certainly for quite a few things.

Because Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, the information available there is only as good as the sources cited. As such, it's a great place to start your research, but the citations are the scholarly works, not Wikipedia itself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Plenty of easy pickings for citations from Wikipedia. Just don’t make the mistake of citing Wikipedia itself. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

As other's have said it can be edited by anyone (once you make an account IIRC) and isn't peer-reviewd. That does not mean Wikipedia is wrong or outdated, but it shouldn't be taken as fact. Of course its quality will vary per field. Natural sciences tend to be fairly accurate and well maintained in my experience. It's a great reference point to start deeper research and can serve you well as a quick primer on the subject.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:22 AM, whm1974 said:

AFAIK such Papers are either outdated and/or Books long out of Print... Or behind some Expensive Paywall...

Yep. Academia is really annoying with all their BS paywalls that can cost you hundreds just to read 5 pages of research. At universities you can usually access a bunch of journals, but even then you are still at the mercy of what subscriptions the uni has. This can get really annoying when I find a book or paper that might have what I need, but I can't access through my institute or its library.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

29 minutes ago, tikker said:

Yep. Academia is really annoying with all their BS paywalls that can cost you hundreds just to read 5 pages of research. At universities you can usually access a bunch of journals, but even then you are still at the mercy of what subscriptions the uni has. This can get really annoying when I find a book or paper that might have what I need, but I can't access through my institute or its library.

Berkley does have a Free Student Primer on Evolution here:

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01

I find this to a great resource not only to refresh what I know about biology but to explain what Evolution is and isn't to other Folks who are not Scientific Minded.

All you need to do is link the articles the wiki page itself uses. Don’t just cite wikipedia.com 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 6/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, whm1974 said:

I mentioned Wikipedia to new Employee of the Mental Health Acency That handles my Housing and Meds. That was awhile ago and he mentioned that Wikipedia is is not Scholarly. No farther explaination why... Perhaps I should have snidely told he that I never claimed it was....

Found this:

Even when I was a teaching assistant over a decade ago, we told students never to cite Wikipedia. People here have already mentioned why (it's not peer-reviewed, content can change), but like you said — it's only really useful for finding links to the sources themselves.

And whatever you do, be sure to look at the original sources rather than grabbing just the quotes referenced in Wikipedia. You want to be sure they're the real quotes, and that you have the broader context. For that matter, I'd be sure not to rely solely on Wikipedia-linked sources, since teachers might spot that and point out that you've missed other important supporting articles.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Even when I was a teaching assistant over a decade ago, we told students never to cite Wikipedia. People here have already mentioned why (it's not peer-reviewed, content can change), but like you said — it's only really useful for finding links to the sources themselves.

And whatever you do, be sure to look at the original sources rather than grabbing just the quotes referenced in Wikipedia. You want to be sure they're the real quotes, and that you have the broader context. For that matter, I'd be sure not to rely solely on Wikipedia-linked sources, since teachers might spot that and point out that you've missed other important supporting articles.

Thanks. I'm not using Wikipedia to do College Work. But to increase my own knowledge. Mostly older Computer stuff and Science Stuff.

On 6/10/2021 at 11:26 PM, Chris Pratt said:

Because Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, the information available there is only as good as the sources cited. As such, it's a great place to start your research, but the citations are the scholarly works, not Wikipedia itself.

Inconsistency of information is never useful, because it obfuscates the reliability of the entire network of sources by association, and which would then leave correct references subject to the same varying degree of manipulation and change over time to the same standard as those that are not which are held to the same overarching standard.  Scholarly is also a sweeping term which is based on opinion of those titled as "scholars" whom have stark disagreements with one another, even in the scientific fields, and is therefor subject to opinion of who is the more approved scholar (or noticed) rather than who is the correct one.  If you are looking for hard facts, do not go to wikipedia.  Go to wikipedia for the most popular or accepted concept within the lens of those who were able to be referenced, because that's all it is.

CPU: Ryzen 5900X | GPU: ASRock 6900XT | Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB (x2) | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 64GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15-35 | MB: MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Case: Fractal Design Define 7

Yes, I share it with friends, and bought this at MSRP.  I was a listmaster for several days in NY.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:22 PM, whm1974 said:

Found this:

Of course it's not. This seems so obvious to me becuase nothing in Wikipedia is peer reviewed, nor verified by really anyone who's of any authority. I don't know about high school, but when I was in college, we would get an automatic F if we cited Wikipedia on anything. 

I've seen probably half a dozen articles on there that were either incorrect, or maliciously modified for humor.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Just because something was cited as a source on wikipedia doesnt make it inherently better, or more right or wrong.  Information found on the internet is generally pretty useless, as the "thruth" can and *will* be rewritten all the time.

Information in a book is far more tangible, and also cant be rewritten as easily, or in case your in actual possession, not at all.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just because something was cited as a source on wikipedia doesnt make it inherently better, or more right or wrong.  Information found on the internet is generally pretty useless, as the "thruth" can and *will* be rewritten all the time.

Information in a book is far more tangible, and also cant be rewritten as easily, or in case your in actual possession, not at all.

True. But it also can't be Updated or Corrected.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

True. But it also can't be Updated or Corrected

And in many cases it doesnt need to, but it can be updated with a new edition if needed, which is great because then you can still compare it with the old version (which on something like wikipedia often miraculously "disappears"). Especially interesting  with very old books like encyclopedias etc.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

nor verified by really anyone who's of any authority

This is not completely correct. There are professors and other experts that do make an effort to maintain (part of) the information on their subjects.

13 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

we would get an automatic F if we cited Wikipedia on anything

An F is maybe a bit harsh, but yes Wikipedia should not be your main source but a stepping stone.\

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Depends on what the source is really. If you cite a Nature paper as a source I'd believe it. If you cite Pete from LTT forums, I'd not take it as an immediate fact. Books are good for storing knowledge and teaching. For fast moving fields however they are a pain as they can't keep up with the developments enoug (or sometimes at all).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 6/11/2021 at 2:58 AM, captain_to_fire said:

there are issues even in peer reviewed journals, it's full of trash, and often is difficult to put out trash out of the good stuff

anyway wikipedia actually has some moderation in it, but the moderation often is not unbiased, like if you take a look in any political article, you'll see biased stuff, or bot managed

anyway it really depends on the subject, for technically stuff, wikipedia might be a good start, while anything that involves politics, history, or social crap is likely to be biased, but the crapload in those subject (and not only) is not limited just to wikipedia, but in whatever subject

On 6/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, whm1974 said:

Found this:

Wikipedia is good if the article in question is well cited. 

A lot are. Some aren’t. 

When citing something from Wikipedia, it’s usually a good idea to look up the original citation and reference that instead. 

And yeah the quality of articles varies a lot, but they’re generally very good from a layman’s perspective. But in an academic environment they wouldn’t be good enough on their own. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)