New pc

Gabin

Included thermal paste should be good, unless it clearly isn't (cpu above 90 degrees under load). If you really need to get aftermarket thermal paste, most pastes are good in general but I'd recommend arctic silver 5 or noctua NT-H1. If you really need to get a very good thermal paste and don't want to get a new cooler then give Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut a try but it's a little expensive for the amount you get.

Temps you should to aim for

Idle: below 40 or so, if its around 50 you may want to replace the cooler or paste.

Under load: Below 90 degrees should be ok, 60-75 would be great and anything below is obviously better.

(try using folding@home as a benchmark and letting it run for 3 hours or so)

Hope this helps

:]

30 minutes ago, Mounika said:

Included thermal paste should be good, unless it clearly isn't (cpu above 90 degrees under load). If you really need to get aftermarket thermal paste, most pastes are good in general but I'd recommend arctic silver 5 or noctua NT-H1. If you really need to get a very good thermal paste and don't want to get a new cooler then give Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut a try but it's a little expensive for the amount you get.

Temps you should to aim for

Idle: below 40 or so, if its around 50 you may want to replace the cooler or paste.

Under load: Below 90 degrees should be ok, 60-75 would be great and anything below is obviously better.

(try using folding@home as a benchmark and letting it run for 3 hours or so)

Hope this helps

So I should replace the thermal paste swtich artic silver 5? Because it’s 40 degrees Celsius on idle 

1 minute ago, Gabin said:

So I should replace the thermal paste swtich artic silver 5? Because it’s 40 degrees Celsius on idle 

Do you know what sort of temps it hits under load? If its above 85 degrees C then yeah, I think it would be a good idea.

What CPU and cooler are you using? Maybe it may even be better to get a new cooler

The answer is IT depends on the cpu, the cooler and the case. 

You mention in a previous thread an Intel b460m motherboard so I can only assume you mean a modern Intel processor.

Modern processors are designed to work perfectly fine at high temperatures, they will run at normal frequencies and even turbo boost up to around 80-85 degrees celsius and will maybe shut down or reduce frequencies a lot at around 95-100c. 

So 40 degrees celsius is not a a lot, and the processor doesn't really care if it runs at 20 degree celsius or 60 degree celsius, it will run exactly the same. Your motherboard bios may automatically adjust the cpu fan speed to keep the fan more silent. As long as the temperature is below some threshold ( 50-55c is a common range), the motherboard bios may not make an effort to spin the fan faster and pointlessly keep the cpu cooler.

Stock coolers are crap when it comes to Intel, the ones that come with AMD processors are much better.  

Only concern yourself if the temperature reaches and stays at around 85c when the cpu is under stress  (download a cpu stress test tool and run it for a few minutes and monitor the temperature with software like HWInfo or Aida64)

8 minutes ago, Mounika said:

Do you know what sort of temps it hits under load? If its above 85 degrees C then yeah, I think it would be a good idea.

What CPU and cooler are you using? Maybe it may even be better to get a new cooler

My prosecer is a i5 10600k with 4.1ghz and 4.8ghz turbo 

with this cooler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWJGI6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The cooler is undersized for that CPU so 40 degrees celsius is normal at idle.  

The cooler may have problems keeping the cpu cool at 100% load for long periods of time, so the cpu may reduce its frequencies or not turbo up to 4.8 ghz when it gets too hot. 

It won't get damaged or anything, it's just possible you won't get the maximum performance from the cpu.

A different thermal paste won't change things, even the best thermal paste would only reduce the temperatures by 1-2 degrees celsius. 

Keep using it as is, until you can afford to buy a better cooler (the kind with heatpipes and a 120mm fan blowing air through the fins and heatpipes)

2 minutes ago, Gabin said:

My prosecer is a i5 10600k with 4.1ghz and 4.8ghz turbo 

with this cooler

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWJGI6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

You probably could keep using that cooler with some new thermal paste if temps are above 90 degrees under load.

But if you want to get a different cooler, here's some ones that should be ok (I'm not entirely an expert but these should keep your cpu at mostly comfortable temps)

- Any cooler from the Be Quiet! Pure Rock or Shadow Rock series (Pure Rock Slim 2) (Pure Rock 2) (Shadow Rock Slim)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (comes in RGB and black variants)

I really recommend the Be Quiet! coolers, they are built well and come with very quiet fans. Some of their cheaper options should be good for your cpu but if you're looking to overclock, then maybe invest some more. Some can be had for around $30 - $40, which isn't too much more than buying new thermal paste.

They also come with included thermal paste which should be good enough, but if you want to get some aftermarket thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 is great

Also, as mariushm says, CPUs are designed to run at those hotter temps but it could possibly hurt their longevity if they're constantly at those temps.

980 Ti definitely the best bang/performance here. Make sure it got good cooler and ask for few days of personal warranty for you to test it. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Gabin said:

I built my own pc and just in The bios I get 40 degrees Celsius. The coller came with cheap looking thermal past I used either way. Should I buy a better thermal paste? Will that cool my cpu better?

40 at idle is fine, put the cpu under load and see what temps it holds at, if it breaks 90° at load then try re thermal pasting and look for a better cooler if your under 90 while the cpu is under load then don't worry about it unless it's throttling

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

3 hours ago, Gabin said:

gtx 980 ti $250

That's a good price!

Nice!

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, Gabin said:

Yesterday I just finished building my first pc and at idle my cpu is 40 degrees Celsius

Perfectly fine honestly, you can do worse. Whats your CPU?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Perfectly fine honestly, you can do worse. Whats your CPU?

My cpu is a i5 10600k 4.1 ghz. 4.8 ghz turbo 

Idle temp doesn't mean anything. If it doesn't thermal throttle under load/ isn't too loud it's ok

Just now, Gabin said:

My cpu is a i5 10600k 4.1 ghz. 4.8 ghz turbo 

At ambient of around 25 degrees or above, its perfectly reasonable in my eyes. Stock cooler?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I am looking at 3 different gpu I would like to know wich one is better bang for the buck. My option are

gt 1030 $80

gtx 970 $200

gt 730 $25

im Planning on doing cad and some lite gaming like Minecraft and csgo

5 minutes ago, Gabin said:

I am looking at 3 different gpu I would like to know wich one is better bang for the buck. My option are

gt 1030 $80

gtx 970 $200

gt 730 $25

im Planning on doing cad and some lite gaming like Minecraft and csgo

Id go for the 970. It will give you the most performance out of them all, and its the one that ISNT a complete rip-off. While the price of it isnt as good as it used to be, it is still the best thing you could get out of those 3.

It will hopefully still give you good performance for the next 1+ years, unlike the other 2 which got shit performance even when they were new.

Not ot a lot of bang in those GPUs, and a fair bit of buck, but of the 3 it's gotta be the 970.

Threads merged.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 gt 730 $50

gt 1030 $80

gtx 660 $100

quadro p2000 $250

wich is the best gpu in general and for cad and lite gaming like Minecraft and csgo?

The quadro will be better

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

Wich is better, nvidia sli or amd fire cross

Both are bad so it's like choosing between hurting your right or left foot. It probably doesn't matter much as both are bad options you should probably avoid. 

Neither, most games these days performance is worse (or not worth the price) under dual GPUs. Stick with one

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Dual gpu for games is useless, and CFX/SLI are only useful for that use.

Any other relevant software that actually makes proper use of multi-gpu won't care about those branding names.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

46 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Neither, most games these days performance is worse (or not worth the price) under dual GPUs. Stick with one

So it’s not worth buying 2 Radeon hd 5870 with a crossfire bridge for $75