New pc

Gabin

i am looking at gpu and i keep on seeing gt 1030 for cheap gpu under 200$. so i wnet on a used pc parts website and found a gt 1030 2gb drr5 for 50 bucks. is it worth it?

It's good enough for low end gaming if that's what you want, if you need something cheap to keep you going until GPUs are back in stock. Just don't expect the best graphics and be ready to game at sub 30fps at times.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's good enough for low end gaming if that's what you want, if you need something cheap to keep you going until GPUs are back in stock. Just don't expect the best graphics and be ready to game at sub 30fps at times.

im only planing on doing cad and playing minecraft. would it be good for those?

Just now, Gabin said:

It's not good at anything, except showing video if you don't have an iGPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

In My country(India) i am getting gtx 1050ti in $200 in amazon

8 minutes ago, Gabin said:

It’ll handle that fine.

it’s effectively a GTX 750 and I feel sometimes people forget that such a card is actually capable of lot more than one would expect

for 50$, good deal, I’d snag it for your use case 

3 minutes ago, 8tg said:

It’ll handle that fine.

it’s effectively a GTX 750 and I feel sometimes people forget that such a card is actually capable of lot more than one would expect

for 50$, good deal, I’d snag it for your use case 

even if i have a igpu?

43 minutes ago, Gabin said:

even if i have a igpu?

Unless you have a Zen 3 APU or a G7 XE iGPU the 1030 is definitely an upgrade. 
While the performance is not good, $50 is an ok price for a GT1030 GDDR5.

What else can you get for around $100-$150?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

29 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Unless you have a Zen 3 APU or a G7 XE iGPU the 1030 is definitely an upgrade. 
While the performance is not good, $50 is an ok price for a GT1030 GDDR5.

What else can you get for around $100-$150?

A gt 710 or 730

13 minutes ago, Gabin said:

A gt 710 or 730

3x

That $50 GT1030 GDDR5 is good enough. Just make sure it's 100% working and perform like it should. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

3x

That $50 GT1030 GDDR5 is good enough. Just make sure it's 100% working and perform like it should. 

Ok

Hi I’m building my first pc and am looking into gpus I am hesitant between 2 Gpu a gt 1030 for $50  or a quadro p2000 for $300. I know there’s a big price difference and performance, but I want the best bang for the buck gpu. I am planning on doing lots of cad and occasional gaming and I will probably be playing mine craft or csgo. 

my specs are:

32 gb ram

i5 10600k cpu

1tb m.2

gigabyte b460m

what is the best bang for the buck gpu for my use and for my system?

This is not a good year for pc builds. 

Honestly, if you can wait, wait till the price of gpu drops.

If you can't wait, and have not purchase any parts yet, just buy a laptop with 4800h and rtx 2060.

If you already purchase the parts, just buy a cheap gpu, and wait till gpu price gone down till the end of this year.

1 minute ago, Seamus X said:

This is not a good year for pc builds. 

Honestly, if you can wait, wait till the price of gpu drops.

If you can't wait, and have not purchase any parts yet, just buy a laptop with 4800h and rtx 2060.

If you already purchase the parts, just buy a cheap gpu, and wait till gpu price gone down till the end of this year.

Its a Quadro card and a GT card, they are barely inflated.

13 minutes ago, Gabin said:

Hi I’m building my first pc and am looking into gpus I am hesitant between 2 Gpu a gt 1030 for $50  or a quadro p2000 for $300. I know there’s a big price difference and performance, but I want the best bang for the buck gpu. I am planning on doing lots of cad and occasional gaming and I will probably be playing mine craft or csgo. 

my specs are:

32 gb ram

i5 10600k cpu

1tb m.2

gigabyte b460m

The GT 1030 is a bad card, get the Quadro or wait until you can get a 3060 for MSRP.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

2 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Its a Quadro card and a GT card, they are barely inflated.

The GT 1030 is a bad card, get the Quadro or wait until you can get a 3060 for MSRP.

I doubt a person who need to consider a gt1030 would have the money to buy another 3060 at MSRP. And P2000 is not easy to sell.

Spend more money will always get you a better GPU. 

Furthermore, gt1030 is fine for cs and minecraft.

Just now, Seamus X said:

I doubt a person who need to consider a gt1030 would have the money to buy another 3060 at MSRP. And P2000 is not easy to sell.

Spend more money will always get you a better GPU. 

Furthermore, gt1030 is fine for cs and minecraft.

What do you mean? OP said the P2000 is $300, and the 3060 is $330.

😳

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

What do you mean? OP said the P2000 is $300, and the 3060 is $330.

When the 3060 goes for 330, I doubt he can sell the P2000 by 300 then.

My answer is clear, if he have 300 more to spend after the P2000 purchase, then go for P2000 by all means.

If his budget is limited, just save money till then.

1 minute ago, Seamus X said:

When the 3060 goes for 330, I doubt he can sell the P2000 by 300 then.

My answer is clear, if he have 300 more to spend after the P2000 purchase, then go for P2000 by all means.

If his budget is limited, just save money till then.

I didn't mean to buy the P2000 and then later buy the 3060, I meant dont buy either until the 3060 goes for MSRP.

😳

1 hour ago, Gabin said:

my specs are:

32 gb ram

i5 10600k cpu

1tb m.2

gigabyte b460m

”Dawid does tech stuff” has done deep dives on the 1030.

My take away from watching some of those is 

Apparently there are two kinds. The ones with ddr4 and the ones with ddr5. The ddr4 ones are crap all the time for 3d stuff no matter how much memory they have.  They’re just not gaming quality.  The ddr5 ones IF they have a useful amount of memory (which they don’t always have) can be marginal for 1080p gaming sometimes. This is the place which went into how Nvidia lobotomized the 1030 to make sure it can’t game.  Had something or other to do with cache and memory speed.  I don’t recall.   I suppose it’s possible to make a 1030 with unusually fast memory and an unusually large and fast cache that might not suck that hard.  Sort of a 1040 or something.  Most 1030s won’t be that though, and if they are they probably won’t be fifty bucks. Often even good 1030s may get beat anyway by a good apu or iGPU.  I think the advice of “continue to wait” makes the most sense.  Part of the problem is your “good” gpu may not be all that good.  I don’t have data though.  There is probably someone who has done deep dives on those too.  The chances that an old business card gets an update for FSR strikes me as pretty dang low.  Even if it’s a 1060 equivalent  and could run it doesn’t mean it will.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's cad basically fully cpu bound so a 1030 should be plenty good for now. Sure a render will take longer as there won't be much gpu acceleration but nothing taking a break, a night of sleep, doing chores,... and leaving the pc rendering doesn't "fix"

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

It's cad basically fully cpu bound so a 1030 should be plenty good for now. Sure a render will take longer as there won't be much gpu acceleration but nothing taking a break, a night of sleep, doing chores,... and leaving the pc rendering doesn't "fix"

One thing I ran into the other day in this case watching a GN review of the intel dg1 which is apparently in very limited release and competes with the 1030. Specifically th difference between gt and gtx.  The 1030 is gt not gtx. If you need gtx features the 1030 won’t have them period. You may actually do better with an intel iGPU. If you DON’T though it may work for what you want.  It may be a useful video to watch even though the dh1 is basically ungettable at present because there are side issues of low end GPUs that are talked about. Apparently intel iGPUS are quite good at certain kinds of encoding.  They were dealing with video not cad though.  Different CAD programs deal with different things in various ways and how the specific piece of software you use may have specific issues with specific cards.  Might be useful to look it up specifically.  A lot of specific pieces of business software have specific interest groups that may be of help. Goes from general to very specific use and there may be some advantage to be found there.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I am looking at 4 different gpu it I don’t know wich one to get. I’m planning on doing lite gaming like Minecraft and csgo, but mainly cad.

my 3 options are

gt 1030 for $50

gtx 970 for $200

gtx 980 ti $250

quadro p2000 for $250

these card have all been used(wich is why there so cheap) and I would like to know wich one is the best bang for the buck in general and for my use.

The 980 ti stands above the rest. As it has more cuda cores and ram than the Quadro, 1030 and 970. 

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

I built my own pc and just in The bios I get 40 degrees Celsius. The coller came with cheap looking thermal past I used either way. Should I buy a better thermal paste? Will that cool my cpu better?