What's a tech term you hate?

da na

Using the word "budget" 

Everyone has a different price range and what they would define as "budget." Using that as a blanket term is way to generalized and doesn't serve any real clarifying purpose.

Also... future proof. Nothing can be "future proof" because the tech space moves faster than the speed of light. You can't even define future proof because it really doesn't make any sense .__.

5 hours ago, pixxel-latte said:

Using the word "budget" 

Everyone has a different price range and what they would define as "budget." Using that as a blanket term is way to generalized and doesn't serve any real clarifying purpose.

I agree that it's a bit nebulous, but it does have meaning.  Within a specific market segment, or within a specific product lineup from a given manufacturer, there will always be a "budget" option.  "Budget" speakers are always going to be around a certain price (say $30 range for 2.1).  And while Klipsch's "budget" offering is more expensive than Logitech's, it's a known quantity that some brands are inherently more expensive.

I guess what I"m saying here is that the term "budget" isn't relative to the consumer--it's relative to other, competing offerings.

p.s.

Otherwise, "free" would be the only "budget" option, given how cheepskate some of the population is.

5 hours ago, IPD said:

I guess what I"m saying here is that the term "budget" isn't relative to the consumer--it's relative to other, competing offerings.

That does make sense, budget is relative less to the people and more towards the topic and whatever the product is competing against.  It does have meaning in that context.

Everyone gets pissed at 1440p referred as 2k, but 2160p (16:9) isn't even actual 4k, but "UHD" .. or is it?

So many unofficial terms to get wrong.   

I edit my posts more often than not

29 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Everyone gets pissed at 1440p referred as 2k, but 2160p (16:9) isn't even actual 4k, but "UHD" .. or is it?

I have to laugh at anyone who still gets upset at 4K.

That ship has not only sailed it has circumnavigated the globe, lived out it's life as a merchant vessel, been scrapped for metal and rebuilt as a museum replica.

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I have to laugh at anyone who still gets upset at 4K.

That ship has not only sailed it has circumnavigated the globe, lived out it's life as a merchant vessel, been scrapped for metal and rebuilt as a museum replica.

Yeah abbreviations are easy. Yeah, DCI 4K or 4K UHD. 

Whoever misses abbreviation ...

I edit my posts more often than not

31 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yeah abbreviations are easy. Yeah, DCI 4K or 4K UHD. 

Whoever misses abbreviation ...

How many people on this forum do you think are dealing with DCI? I'm sure no one is getting them confused.

The problem with abbreviations in general is they are often specific to a particular section of knowledge and are therefore often jargon.

DCI for example can mean many things if a net is thrown wide enough.  https://www.acronymfinder.com/DCI.html

I was sort of expecting D to stand for “divorce” in at least one instance.  Didn’t see one.  Doesn’t mean there isn’t one.  “I” seems to stand for “incorporated” a lot.  “Interface” was also common though. I was sort of surprised to see how many listed would be appropriate on this forum.  At least 6 that I can see.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, pietro_tech_tips said:

Writting the power of the battery in mili format so it sounds BIG

There’s a whole series of issues with the way battery information is printed. Most of them seem to go back to marketing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

"Good Key travel" Like what does that even MEAN? I have been confused for years about it when it comes to laptops, LTT said it, Austin says it, Dave2D says it, what makes it good? No one explains it at all and I would love a Techquickie about it since I am so confused. Does it mean it is deep? Is it a certain amount of MM? What is it? 

On 11/27/2021 at 7:14 AM, Commodus said:

Isn't a pro-oriented machine by definition aimed at a small segment of the market? Companies like Apple (and Poco, and...) admittedly stretch the definition of "pro," but they're still aiming at a more demanding subset rather than the masses.

Not to be too nitpicky, but speaking of terms: don't forget you can usually say "use" instead of "utilize." It's much like "orientate" in that it's just adding extra syllables.

"Pro" devices are regularly marketed to and sold to the "masses". The Pixel 6 Pro has outsold the regular Pixel 6, same thing with the iPhone 13 vs the 13 Pro. Statistically the masses will be very unlikely to actually take advantage of the added feature sets in "Pro" versions of these devices. 

And yea that's being quite nitpicky. Using the word "use" twice in the span of only a few words sounds worse to me than just putting in an alternative term, such as utilize. I type at approx. 100 WPM, it's really not a huge deal to take a couple of extra seconds to add an additional syllable lmao 🙄

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

7 hours ago, JHMW19 said:

"Good Key travel" Like what does that even MEAN? I have been confused for years about it when it comes to laptops, LTT said it, Austin says it, Dave2D says it, what makes it good? No one explains it at all and I would love a Techquickie about it since I am so confused. Does it mean it is deep? Is it a certain amount of MM? What is it? 

6 hours ago, rrats said:

Key travel means the amount of pressing you can press until the key stops

Not just that, also the feel when its moving down and if it wiggles side to side etc.

Like if you have wobbly keys and press on on the side it wont even register, and its key travel is hindered.
In that 1-5mm you can feel a very much a lot, so key travel is definitely a thing.

On worse keyboards its not as good as a quality model.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 11/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, Tan3l6 said:

4K has multiple meanings - the rough definition for 4K is "roughly 4000 pixels wide".

DCI 4K is 4096 x 2160

UHD 4K is 3840 x 2160

Both of them are "4K"

But 1440p is just does not fit the same way that the other 2 do, because it's smack in the middle of 2K and 3K. In fact, if we're gonna round, it's closer to 3K than 2K. 2.5K makes sense if you're going to use that naming convention. Otherwise 1440p is totally sufficient.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 1 month later...

Kinda a dead thread but I'll still add: 

When someone refers to a monitor's refresh rate as "FPS" 

In some situations it's OK, such as "my monitor can do up to 165 FPS" but usually it's bad, such as "I have a 144 FPS monitor, come check it out" 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tkitch said:

Here's one for all the forum users:

image.thumb.png.00259651db0e55d8932b585895a43732.png

Helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse

vs

Helping your uncle jack off a horse

Piracy, especially when used in a sentence with Adblock.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 hours ago, tkitch said:

Here's one for all the forum users:

image.thumb.png.00259651db0e55d8932b585895a43732.png

Depends.  If you run a fabric store a costumer might very well be a customer.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends.  If you run a fabric store a costumer might very well be a customer.

Then odds are they're not the ones on the forum misusing the word 😛

7 hours ago, tkitch said:

Then odds are they're not the ones on the forum misusing the word 😛

It’s hard to know if such a thing isn’t merely an autocorrect thing in this day and age I use the phrase Ihateautocorrect so much I can pull it up simply by typing “ih”

"News of iOS 15 jailbreak????"
"ETA for checkra1n ios 15"
"when is ios 15 jb release"

etc.
image.png.4f9599cce2e781a7241da29dc62015c1.png

Why is it so hard for people to read the rules

elephants

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s hard to know if such a thing isn’t merely an autocorrect thing in this day and age I use the phrase Ihateautocorrect so much I can pull it up simply by typing “ih”

do you expect me to believe that that many people talk about costumes on a regular basis?

I've been doing theater for the past 20 years and I don't talk about them that often 😛

43 minutes ago, tkitch said:

do you expect me to believe that that many people talk about costumes on a regular basis?

I've been doing theater for the past 20 years and I don't talk about them that often 😛

No. I might expect autocorrect to repetitively screw up in the same general way though.