What's a tech term you hate?

da na

"ROM" referring to mobile phones as their storage is NOT read-only.

PC Master Race / PCMR - Ahhh, yes, the classic 'bright' idea to use Nazi-esque nomenclature for a hobby and make being superior and elitist central to that group's identity!

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

4 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

PC Master Race / PCMR - Ahhh, yes, the classic 'bright' idea to use Nazi-esque nomenclature for a hobby and make being superior and elitist central to that group's identity!

When I was young, like 8, I thought it meant race, like car race. But then one day it hit me, I was like 12, haven't used it since

11 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

this one is Highly understandable i believe, Hackintosh. its installing an Operating system onto a computer there is literally no hacking in it.

I'll disagree. While "hack" as a word is very commonly misused, to make a Hackintosh you do need to "hack", as it were, the Darwin kernel to get it to install (along with a bunch more). There's a lot of behind-the-scenes work that most users don't see.

I'd prefer "crack" be used instead of "hack" in a lot of cases, but "Crackintosh" doesn't have the same ring to it.

50 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

image.png.297789346bfa690ccfd84ed059fd7800.png

elephants

54 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Master race was coined way before the Nazi's adopted it. Same with the symbol Swastika or Sauwastika.

I don't care for the term hack, its very slang and not even applicable to short-cuts low effort, half ass "solutions" tic tok'ers make up.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

59 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

It never ceases to amaze me that people really took that descriptor as a badge of pride instead of the backhanded compliment it actually was when it was coined, which was in this review by Yahtzee Croshaw.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

3 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I'll disagree. While "hack" as a word is very commonly misused, to make a Hackintosh you do need to "hack", as it were, the Darwin kernel to get it to install (along with a bunch more). There's a lot of behind-the-scenes work that most users don't see.

I'd prefer "crack" be used instead of "hack" in a lot of cases, but "Crackintosh" doesn't have the same ring to it.

image.png.297789346bfa690ccfd84ed059fd7800.png

Multiple word meanings issue.  A crackintosh sounds like a Mac on crack.  Some broken down hoopty device that is dangerous to use and barely works.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Multiple word meanings issue.  A crackintosh sounds like a Mac on crack.  Some broken down hoopty device that is dangerous to use and barely works.

Sounds like a mac, crack or not, to me

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

dude, they all like that. 

48 minutes ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

Didn’t used to be.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Sounds like a mac, crack or not, to me

Nah. More like windows really.  Except for that period where Mac laptops had Nvidia GPUs that kept breaking.  I had one of those.  It was really annoying.

13 hours ago, Amaranth said:

Yeah, this one gets me too.

I know every community has embarrassing ding dongs, but since I quite like PC gaming I much more annoyed by PCMR chumps than I am by embarrassing gear heads or Tool fans.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Nah. More like windows really.  Except for that period where Mac laptops had Nvidia GPUs that kept breaking.  I had one of those.  It was really annoying.

windows is also just awful. but i can really draw way more reasons that its better and more usable than MacOS. i've really tried to Give Macs a try multiple times, they've never clicked. maybe its just not being in their Disgusting Ecosystem but i've really found it feeling like a Knockoff Bloated GNOME. the laptops get hot doing anything and feels very unsafe. there are others like it but Apple really could do much better

1 hour ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

maybe its just not being in their Disgusting Ecosystem but i've really found it feeling like a Knockoff Bloated GNOME.

If anything, GNOME 2 was a cheap MacOS knockoff. Apple’s been using more or less the same desktop paradigm since the early 80s. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

windows is also just awful. but i can really draw way more reasons that its better and more usable than MacOS. i've really tried to Give Macs a try multiple times, they've never clicked. maybe its just not being in their Disgusting Ecosystem but i've really found it feeling like a Knockoff Bloated GNOME. the laptops get hot doing anything and feels very unsafe. there are others like it but Apple really could do much better

The inventor of the GUI was xerox.  Apple basically stole it from them.  MacOS predates both linux and windows.  As such, the knock offs are gnome and windows, though areguably MacOS is a knockoff too.  GNOME used to be considered so bloated and slow it was almost unusable. KDE and another one (xfs? I don’t remember)  were preferred for *nix stuff.  All this was long ago though.  It may be that now MacOS is more bloated than GNOME.  I don’t know.  I haven’t used GNOME much in a while. MacOS is a BSD, so you can theoretically run GNOME on Darwin if you want to. 

Edited by Bombastinator

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The inventor of the GUI was xerox.  Apple basically stole it from them.

Xerox pioneered the concept, but never commercialized it. Apple traded them a pile of pre-IPO stock in exchange for a peek behind the curtain at PARC, then ran with the ideas they were shown. 

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=On_Xerox,_Apple_and_Progress.txt

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Busy_Being_Born.txt

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Xerox pioneered the concept, but never commercialized it. Apple traded them a pile of pre-IPO stock in exchange for a peek behind the curtain at PARC, then ran with the ideas they were shown. 

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=On_Xerox,_Apple_and_Progress.txt

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Busy_Being_Born.txt

Thus kicking off a long, storied, time-honored tradition of IP theft by Apple.

1 minute ago, IPD said:

Thus kicking off a long, storied, time-honored tradition of IP theft by Apple.

Not just them.
IP theft was a common thing back then.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

???

Taking 2 samples of Macs to PCs from my experience; as close as I can get the years.

Mac mini 2011 vs. Phenom II build

Power Mac G4 vs. Pentium III build

Mac mini 2011 - Got it from grandparents; has had no problems other than ones I've inflicted on it (Catalina on an HDD, Mojave on an HDD, High Sierra on an HDD).

Phenom II build - Runs Windows 8.1. Nothing else will work. I don't know why.

Power Mac G4 - Had a damaged logic board and optical drive after sitting in an attic above a garage for 15 years. Replaced both; the machine works fine. The original HDD is still going and boots Mac OS 9; along with the ZIP100 drive.

Pentium III build - Had a damaged optical drive, dying HDD, dying power supply, and broken floppy drive. I have replaced them all; but my new HDD seems to be dying again. Granted it is from 2002.

elephants

- People saying "Wi-fi" when they actually mean a (non-mobile) internet connection. As in people calling an ISP to "order wi-fi" or "get better wi-fi"

- "Wifi tethering" 

- Software or programs being called "Apps".

- Hashtags. (maybe not technical, but more of a social media thing)

And mostly all technical terms that came along with the smartphone hype.

27 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Not just them.
IP theft was a common thing back then.

All the tech companies back then that survived to the present day pulled IP theft and strongarm business deals.

The only reason Microsoft got away with making Windows so similar to Mac OS was they negotiated a wide-reaching licensing agreement with Apple in the early 80s. Microsoft was by far the smaller company at the time, but they owned the rights to Applesoft BASIC, the core interpreter that the Apple II platform had come to rely on. (They had Woz's Integer BASIC, but that had no floating point instructions among other deficiencies.) The Apple II line was Apple's bread and butter well into the late 80s, so when the initial license for Applesoft BASIC came up, Bill Gates knew he had them over a barrel.

And of course there's the story of MS-DOS, where Microsoft promised IBM an operating system they didn't have, so they had to hastily buy and rebrand a work-alike of CPM/86 before IBM realized it and went back to Digital Research.

37 minutes ago, Freesurfer said:

- Hashtags. (maybe not technical, but more of a social media thing)

Hashtags is just a cringe term overall, but it's especially bad IMO when people refer to this symbol, #, in a non-social-media context (such as in a phone number, sharp symbols in music etc) as a hashtag.