What is the worst tech advice you've ever recieved?

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Same. I once had a PC that you had to shut down before turning it off because the power button was a hard shutdown, and he now thinks all computers are like that.

This is just how AT computers worked before the ATX standard. 馃檪聽 The power button before ATX directly caused the PSU to shut off.聽 Windows 9X even has this screen for AT systems, for when Windows has safely shut down and to instruct the user to press the power button to electrically turn off the PC.

spacer.png

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio,聽Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7聽4790, Asus聽B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel聽E5-2603v2,聽Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5聽
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel聽i3 3250, Asus聽P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock聽775i65G聽r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 minutes ago, soilovelinustechtips said:

I guess I should go... My friend told me that Mac-OS is worse that Chrome-OS. My friend told me that it鈥檚 best to buy a chrome-book instead of a MacBook. What a jerk 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

the chromebook wouldnt overheat.....

anyways i like chromeos now. Its simple, but can still do laptop things with the linux support.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

my dad is cojnvinced that you shouldnt press the power button to turn off a pc, and that i shoudl use the option in windows.

it triggers the same shutdown process...

If your dad learned to use PCs in the 90's or earlier, then that was actually sound advice. Windows used to even have this screen that said "You can now turn off the PC", because there was no way for the OS to turn the PC off -- you had to turn it off from the power-button. Also, pressing the power-button while the OS was running would just immediately power everything off similar to how it'd go, if you flipped the switch on the PSU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Even better is that TPU actually lists the fake cards as GTS 450s... why is that so depressing and funny at the same time

842989830_ScreenShot2021-05-06at11_36_36AM.thumb.png.66ad9904f84a0fafdc8c7daec4bcff02.png

That Sparkle gts450 looks pretty cool ngl聽

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.聽 聽

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s聽are the best looking things ever made.聽

Don't ask to ask.聽
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Build your own keyboard.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If your dad learned to use PCs in the 90's or earlier, then that was actually sound advice. Windows used to even have this screen that said "You can now turn off the PC", because there was no way for the OS to turn the PC off -- you had to turn it off from the power-button. Also, pressing the power-button while the OS was running would just immediately power everything off similar to how it'd go, if you flipped the switch on the PSU.

yeah. his first pc was a c64. But he doesnt beleive me when i tell him otherwise.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Build your own keyboard.

i once wanted to then realized that i actually have to solder and i dont have a solder gun nor do i know how to use one聽

Don't ask to ask.聽
Thanks!

When I was younger and knew very little about computers I took the advise of a friend of mine and got an All-in-One computer, I can't even remember the reasoning he gave me for it but man I learned the hard way with that one. Since that I've learned more than enough to build a much more competent system now

Case: Lian Li Lancool II-X | MB: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | CPU: i9-10900k Gold Sample | Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 Illusion | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) | GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x OC | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold | Storage:聽Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB &聽Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 3.5" | Monitor:聽Gigabyte M27Q, Samsung Odyssey G5聽27.0", and Huion GT-221 Pro聽| And of course:聽Northern Lights desk pad

2 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

i once wanted to then realized that i actually have to solder and i dont have a solder gun nor do i know how to use one聽

I was joking. More a rabbit hole/expensive thing.

You are incorrect though. Plenty of hotswap boards out there.

No solder required.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Build your own keyboard.

Eschew right now:

757445535660507166.png?v=1

Anyway, mine would be simply the fact that someone said that i can skimp on phantom power if i pass through a USB to 3.5mm adapter. Didnt happened at all, i was dumb with audio.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I was joking. More a rabbit hole/expensive thing.

You are incorrect though. Plenty of hotswap boards out there.

No solder required.

oh well its too late now, ive already got a Razer Turret

Don't ask to ask.聽
Thanks!

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Eschew right now:

Eww, please find a cuter sad emoji if you're gonna attach 'chew's name.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Eww, please find a cuter sad emoji if you're gonna attach 'chew's name.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

26 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I guess obviously have to go first.聽 My partner is deployed on a ship with our聽navy right now, while it has limited satellite internet , 260 people and one internet connection in the middle of the ocean on what is definitely not a Carnival Cruise Line's ship, is not great.聽 We set up a plan to SneakerNet media files to her to keep her entertained with 'recent' TV shows and movies.聽 This literally involves mailing USB drives to the ship with a lag time of 2-6聽weeks.聽 Some brilliant person advised me to not label and encrypt the USB flash drives to avoid 'The Copyright Police'.聽 Despite all attempts to convince him he could not comprehend why side channeling unmarked encrypted storage into a military warship might invite the attention of an entirely different kind of 'police'.聽 The kind of police that use words such as 'Espionage' and 'Sabotage'.聽 He instead advised me 'You have your rights to free speech, don't you?' instead.

PS: Due to COVID wrecking global logistics, mailing to the the ship has been a general disaster, with it's mail typically arriving at ports after the ship and already left said ports.聽 It's due to get mail tomorrow that is two months old.聽 We ditched a SneakerNet for Resilio Sync, which works pretty well on 'Absolutely terrible intermittent internet'.

Homing Pigeons or do they only work ship to shore?

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

sticker.png.861a7392a0b0b68a774305d9c3c4125f.png

Here, use this one.

Spoiler

Even though I know you're going to reply to this with the sad pepe again.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Even though I know you're going to reply to this with the sad pepe again.

I'd rather Kelly01 for the coot sad, but pepe is life.

K3llySob.png.1b16874160b401e030bddf40a5723c12.png

Just now, SorryClaire said:

I'd rather Kelly01 for the coot sad, but pepe is life.

K3llySob.png.1b16874160b401e030bddf40a5723c12.png

That is acceptable.

I will now withdraw and refrain from further thread derailment.

Buy a b360 board with a 10700k (My friend almost did this, but I stopped him). He ended up getting a Aorus Pro聽B460 (even though I told him that it was terrible value and he should get a z490)

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo聽plus 1TB SSD,聽NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case.聽

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference,聽Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

30 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Build your own keyboard.

Hahaha... looks at the keyboard I built... ha ha

22 minutes ago, Reaper_3955 said:

Worst tech advice i have recieved: go with Intel not AMD

I mean right now Intel is much better on the budget side

Big nerd.聽

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, davemc said:

I mean right now Intel is much better on the budget side

Intel is also pretty hot if you need something very low power, those little embedded Atoms, Celerons and Pentiums are pretty nifty.

High end consumer socket desktop though, not so much.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio,聽Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7聽4790, Asus聽B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel聽E5-2603v2,聽Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5聽
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel聽i3 3250, Asus聽P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock聽775i65G聽r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 minute ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

those little embedded Atoms

Atoms=bad

Big nerd.聽

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

Hahaha... looks at the keyboard I built... ha ha

Don't get me wrong, I love it.

But I hate it. 馃槴