What is the worst tech advice you've ever recieved?

I guess obviously have to go first.  My partner is deployed on a ship with our navy right now, while it has limited satellite internet , 260 people and one internet connection in the middle of the ocean on what is definitely not a Carnival Cruise Line's ship, is not great.  We set up a plan to SneakerNet media files to her to keep her entertained with 'recent' TV shows and movies.  This literally involves mailing USB drives to the ship with a lag time of 2-6 weeks.  Some brilliant person advised me to not label and encrypt the USB flash drives to avoid 'The Copyright Police'.  Despite all attempts to convince him he could not comprehend why side channeling unmarked encrypted storage into a military warship might invite the attention of an entirely different kind of 'police'.  The kind of police that use words such as 'Espionage' and 'Sabotage'.  He instead advised me 'You have your rights to free speech, don't you?' instead.

PS: Due to COVID wrecking global logistics, mailing to the the ship has been a general disaster, with it's mail typically arriving at ports after the ship and already left said ports.  It's due to get mail tomorrow that is two months old.  We ditched a SneakerNet for Resilio Sync, which works pretty well on 'Absolutely terrible intermittent internet'.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I guess obviously have to go first.  My partner is deployed on a ship with our navy right now, while it has limited satellite internet , 260 people and one internet connection in the middle of the ocean on what is definitely not a Carnival Cruise Line's ship, is not great.  We set up a plan to SneakerNet media files to her to keep her entertained with 'recent' TV shows and movies.  This literally involves mailing USB drives to the ship with a lag time of 2-6 weeks.  Some brilliant person advised me to not label and encrypt the USB flash drives to avoid 'The Copyright Police'.  Despite all attempts to convince him he could not comprehend why side channeling unmarked encrypted storage into a military warship might invite the attention of an entirely different kind of 'police'.  The kind of police that use words such as 'Espionage' and 'Sabotage'.  He instead advised me 'You have your rights to free speech, don't you?' instead.

PS: Due to COVID wrecking global logistics, mailing to the the ship has been a general disaster, with it's mail typically arriving at ports after the ship and already left said ports.  It's due to get mail tomorrow that is two months old.  We ditched a SneakerNet for Resilio Sync, which works pretty well on 'Absolutely terrible intermittent internet'.

Following any tier list on the forum.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Heh I got a good one...

I was once advised to buy a Mac. Not trying to hate on macs or anything, they have their uses, but many of the software I use is Windows-exclusive.

This Mac? A refurbished MacBook air with a dual core i5, 80gb SSD, and Intel HD graphics. For the same price I built my system with an RX 570 and 16 core Xeon. A bit more performance...

1 minute ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I guess ill go next. I was playing my xbox and i restarted it. My dad told me never do it again because it would delete files if i did it again. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Literally anything on UserBenchmark.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

Literally anything on UserBenchmark.

Yep. One day I tried to benchmark my laptop on UBM and it somehow rated in the lowest percentile. Like the 'raft' category or whatever it was called. Keep in mind this laptop had 16GB of ram, an SSD, and a nice quad core FX cpu and RX 560...

Just now, emosun said:

worst advice I get is "keep software updated". Windows 10 being the prime example of how incredibly stupid updates are.

Yep. Some software/drivers, even better, you can't update. I tried to update my Creative SBX drivers once. Never again.

I was talking to someone in my class about my PC and how my graphics cards were old.

They definitely knew some stuff about computers, but when I told them the cards were from 2013 I got "Why not just update them to 2018?"

elephants

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Yep. One day I tried to benchmark my laptop on UBM and it somehow rated in the lowest percentile. Like the 'raft' category or whatever it was called. Keep in mind this laptop had 16GB of ram, an SSD, and a nice quad core FX cpu and RX 560...

UBM once recommended a 9600K over a 3950x.

You heard that right.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

Just now, FakeKGB said:

I was talking to someone in my class about my PC and how my graphics cards were old.

They definitely knew some stuff about computers, but when I told them the cards were from 2013 I got "Why not just update them to 2018?"

That doesn't work, but you know what does? Downloading DDR4 on your DDR3 system!

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Just do what the scam companies do and flash a RTX 3090 BIOS to your 780! Works perfectly.

Just now, davemc said:

You heard that right.

If you're not going to use that absolute trash 3950X, I'll give you 50bux for it, ya know, just preventing ewaste and all. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, davemc said:

You heard that right.

that hurts my soul 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

5 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

I guess ill go next. I was playing my xbox and i restarted it. My dad told me never do it again because it would delete files if i did it again. 

my dad is cojnvinced that you shouldnt press the power button to turn off a pc, and that i shoudl use the option in windows.

it triggers the same shutdown process...

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I guess I should go... My friend told me that Mac-OS is worse that Chrome-OS. My friend told me that it’s best to buy a chrome-book instead of a MacBook. What a jerk 🤣🤣🤣

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Just do what the scam companies do and flash a RTX 3090 BIOS to your 780! Works perfectly.

it wouldnt be a 780ti. ITs a gts450. Its always a gts450.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, soilovelinustechtips said:

I guess I should go... My friend told me that Mac-OS is worse that Chrome-OS. My friend told me that it’s best to buy a chrome-book instead of a MacBook. What a jerk 🤣🤣🤣

I quite like mac os not gonna lie. The file transfer is so simple man

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

But then it won't be Kepler...

elephants

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

my dad is cojnvinced that you shouldnt press the power button to turn off a pc, and that i shoudl use the option in windows.

it triggers the same shutdown process...

Same. I once had a PC that you had to shut down before turning it off because the power button was a hard shutdown, and he now thinks all computers are like that.