What is the worst tech advice you've ever recieved?

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

What motherboard is that? That's not what it should be doing.

It's a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

20 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah. Aios don't buy used.

But anything solid state (ssd, ram, things like that) and silicon (gpus and CPUs) are great used buys.

cases would also be good to buy used, but they cost a lot to ship, so it usually isn't worth it unless you can maybe do a local pickup.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 minute ago, King of Memes said:

cases would also be good to buy used, but they cost a lot to ship, so it usually isn't worth it unless you can maybe do a local pickup.

eh, unless its a really good deal i find that most cases are really cheap at some point on a sale. there are so many cheap options i personally dont find it worthwhile. however, i have once seen an 011dynamic used for 40 dollars. that was insane

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

eh, unless its a really good deal i find that most cases are really cheap at some point on a sale. there are so many cheap options i personally dont find it worthwhile. however, i have once seen an 011dynamic used for 40 dollars. that was insane

yes, but id do local pickup for cases, cause shipping the 011 would cost a bit

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

Just now, davemc said:

I have to say, unless the case is specific to your needs or special, yeah, you can get 'A box' pretty affordably.  I couldn't imagine selling a used case for more than $20-$40 depending on the model of course.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 5/8/2021 at 2:26 PM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Yeah. Aios don't buy used.

But anything solid state (ssd, ram, things like that) and silicon (gpus and CPUs) are great used buys.

Nah. Usually advice to buy used is often packaged with unhelpful reasons that are relative to the user's customer service experience rather than the technical experience.

The way to decide if something used should be purchased, is by looking at the original warranty. If it has an unlimited warranty (many RAM modules do), then buying used is perfectly fine. Most parts do not, and will have a warranty between 3 months and 3 years. SSD's I would never buy used because they can be significantly worn out. Any other drive should look at the SMART data to make a determination. Like you can have drives with 10 years worth of spin up time that are perfectly fine, and also drives that have 1000's of spin-up/down cycles because of aggressive power management that are in a worse condition after 3 months than that 10 year old drive.

If a part has a heatsink and fan on it, it's probably isn't a safe buy, so usually the Motherboards are OK but the higher-end CPU's are not, unless you're looking for a piecemeal upgrade/crossgrade. Like moving from an i3 to an i7 on the same motherboard with an after-market cooler you already have is a better option than getting a bare CPU and using the existing factory cooler from the i3.

So if a part only had a factory warranty of 3 months (90 days), that is a red flag that the part is highly disposable, and should not demand an above-retail price in any situation. If the warranty has already expired, then it should be below retail price (usually anything used (as in "open box" (store return)) demands at least a discount off the retail price.)

Then there is vintage hardware.

Most vintage computer hardware is worth 0$. There are a couple parts that this doesn't apply to because the original part was expensive and rare in the first place (such as the Roland MT-32) and has a dual-purpose (music and computer music), but most cheap parts were produced in such high quantities that the cost should reflect a little more than the shipping cost. Sometimes "secret secondary use" parts demand a higher price because they are useful for making backups or making recordings from, where emulating the hardware doesn't quite achieve perfect input. Such examples include vintage ISA and PCI VGA cards that have functionality (eg s3 virge, 3dfx, reelmagic mpeg) that is either unemulated or the emulation is a poor experience.

Recommendations back then to clean and/or compress the registry. Snake oil.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti