Linux Outperforms Windows 8.1 In OpenGL with Nvidia's Latest Drivers

SangeetKhatri
These OpenGL performance results with modern NVIDIA GeForce hardware don't come as a surprise at all to us gave that the proprietary Linux driver has been largely at the same level for features and performance as the Windows GeForce driver going back many years. Most of the code is shared between the Windows, Linux, Solaris, and BSD platforms that allows for NVIDIA's proprietary driver to be top-notch across platforms. One of the few missing features from the Linux driver is support for overclocking on modern GPUs. Overall, the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver is in great shape and it's easy to see why so many game developers recommend running NVIDIA graphics on Linux given their performance and reliable support compared to Windows.

Personally, after seeing Linux performance always behind Windows, it is a great relief to see Linux performing about the same and at most benchmarks outperforming Windows 8.1 at OpenGL tests. This is only going to get better at the future. I thought that it was worth a share because Linux is always generally behind the Windows 8.1 graphics performance, but that is about to change. Thanks to our Lord And Savior Gabe Newell for recognizing Linux as a viable gaming platform.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=geforce_ubuntu14_win81&num=1

linux editing rigs sweet 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

There's just a few things that keeps me from switching to Linux permanently.
I wanna play ALL my games on Linux...

• CPU
    Intel Xeon E5 2695 V3 14c-28t @ 2,8GHz
  • Motherboard
    AsRock X99 mITX
  • RAM
    2x16GB DDR4 Crucial ECC @2166MHz
  • GPU
    XFX R9 Nano 4GB HBM @1000MHz
  • Case
    Silverstone Sugo SG-13
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 
  • Intel SSD DC S3600 800GB

There's just a few things that keeps me from switching to Linux permanently.

I wanna play ALL my games on Linux...

pretty much this

Praise Duarte!

Unfortunately there is so much that doesn't run on Linux natively.

Matlab and VMWare Workstation are doable. If Solidworks and Adobe software had Linux versions and more games supported Ubuntu then I'd switch over in a heartbeat. Save the $100 and put it towards more GPU horsepower.

Getting used to the programs on Linux would be a challenge, since I'm so used to Windows programs being my daily driver.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

linux editing rigs sweet 

Too bad there isn't any good production software for Linux :P

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

SOME DAY I TELL YOU! SOOOOOOOOME DAY! 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP! IT'S COMING I SWEAR!!11!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Actually there are some, but they are not that polished.

Gimp is an alternative for Photoshop, not really there yet, but it is still good considering it is completely free.

For 3D Modelling, there is Blender which of course is amazing.

For Video Editing there are tonnes of them, but I am finding Pitvi to be the best among them all.

There are a lot of Audio tools, so many that I lost track of them.

We should see game performance improvement through WINE as well due to this. Now it's AMD's turn, then I might actually move to Ubuntu once Netflix moves to HTML5 (in 2085).

Linux is not easy to use and user friendly as windows and that's a huge turn off.

Have you tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Zorin OS? If not, then I recommend you to try them. Linux is much much easier to use that it was 4-5 years ago. I use Linux and I can't complain at all about the ease of use at all.

And I am using a hard distro, Puppy Linux (funny name!) because that is the most my laptop can handle, but distros like Ubuntu have upped the level of user friendliness a lot higher that they are actually easier to use than Windows.

The only problem is that people get scared by the command line but actually command line makes tasks faster. For example if in Windows you wanted to install firefox, then you open up your browser then go to firefox website, then download the .exe file. Then open it and after a few more clicks, you install firefox.

But with Ubuntu, all you have to do is to open the terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install" and type your password and it automatically downloads and installs the latest firefox. No extra clicks, no time waste, straight and simple.

It is just that people are used to the lengthy and inefficient ways that windows have implemented. You just need to change your mind and start out just as a kid would with a fresh mind with no prior experience with anything Windows relates.

The best way to try Linux is to forget everything about Windows for a moment, because Windows and Linux works differently. You don't expect Escalator and Lift to work the same way, but they both serve the same purpose but work differently. (I could not think of a better example.)

snippity snap 

installing stuff outside the software center or what ever its called is just insane

then u have issues with adding repositories etc 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hope Linux gains more traction in the coming years. Some of those distros would piss all over Windows if it weren't for application support.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

installing stuff outside the software center or what ever its called is just insane

snippity snap? I never said that!

windows 8 is not that good of an OS anyway

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Oh please!

I am looking at the benchmarks, and the performance is the SAME!!! It's only a few tiny points more in SOME tests.

And everything is on a benchmark. It could be the benchmark that is differently optimizes for both OS, or some background process on Windows is doing something. The difference is too identical

We want REAL WOLD performance!

Com on guys, you should know this.

However, the interesting news is that it shows that Windows is doing an excellent job. People that have been saying that Windows is big and bulky, well, as you can see the performance is the same under Linux. So, it does show that Microsoft is doing great. And also that put to rest the b.s that been passing around on how Microsoft purposely slow down OpenGL. This shows that this is complexly untrue.

I don't think so, you copy and paste a few lines and hit enter.

Example of installing Skype:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

Anyone who says Linux isn't user friendly hasn't tried the right distros. I recently changed my gfs laptop to Zorin OS and put libre office, and the only time she asked for help was installing a program. I ran her through it once, both terminal and software store thing and hasn't needed help since.

She's entirely your typical user, just wants a machine that can do Facebook YouTube and farmville.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Linux is not easy to use and user friendly as windows and that's a huge turn off.

Not quite true any more for what most people do on there machines Ubuntu is even easier I'd say, installing apps through the software center is pretty easy even though it's bulky as all hell and slows down everything... at least on my ancient rig.

And if you wanna do more than game or brows the internet on windows like say networking 'n stuff I wouldn't know how on either OS(good thing we have Logan and the gang). Also it boils down to the individual program that you use 3D modling tool or Photoshop are a nightmare to get into for beginners and curious hobbyists no matter the OS(again good thing there's youtube). 

edit: what JaeDee884 said.

p.s.  good nvidia finally get onto the Linux bandwagon.

I don't think so, you copy and paste a few lines and hit enter.

Example of installing Skype:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

i guess for you thats easy

for me i dont know what the hell is that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Dito.

He is using a set of commands to use the distro built-in package manager to install a program.

in other words, he is still using the 'software center' just the non-GUI version

Notice how he also doesn't specify where the program can be installed. dpkg is the package manager, or ;software center' if you prefer.
So he didn't answer your question, he is saying what you have been saying.

It's not that hard to understand.

Linux noobie tooturiul: Lewel 1

sudo = execute the following command as superuser (or administrator to make it easier)
dpkg = install, remove, get information about packages
--add-architecture i386 = enable i386 support
add-apt-repository = add a repository
apt-get update = update package lists from repositories
apt-get install = install a application

Can you figure out what it all does now?

Them along with maybe three other commands is all you need to know on Linux to make use of it. Distro's like Ubuntu have been pushing to becoming entirely UI based, which cuts out most of the time spent the terminal.