Is it cheating when you use controllers in pvp games that have controller support?

Is it cheating when you use contollers in a pvp game that have controller support enabled.

no

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

My boyfriend says that "If the developers added it to the game, then why wont you abuse it?"

He got the right sentiment.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Why would it be?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Yes and No.

Yes is because you have slight advantage compare to those that use touch screen.

No is because it is a method of playing the game.

So... Yeah, we are in the grey area, actually.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 4/14/2021 at 2:59 AM, Joshua_P_Gervacio said:

Is it cheating when you use contollers in a pvp game that have controller support enabled.

I dont think its cheating

If the game was intended to be played with a controller then no, it isn't an exploit.

And using a controller that makes you aim slower just puts you in a disadvantage

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Chiyawa said:

Yes and No.

Yes is because you have slight advantage compare to those that use touch screen.

It's not a grey area in any way shape or form. If the developers themselves added support as a means of input then it's totally legit. Having an advantage due to your choice input method is fine.

Saying it's a grey area is like saying using mouse and keyboard on a XBox One/Series game that has support natively in the game because the developer added it is a grey area as well.

16 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

It's not a grey area in any way shape or form. If the developers themselves added support as a means of input then it's totally legit. Having an advantage due to your choice input method is fine.

Saying it's a grey area is like saying using mouse and keyboard on a XBox One/Series game that has support natively in the game because the developer added it is a grey area as well.

Indeed. Even though the game did supports it, chances are not many gamers who play the games can afford a game controller (maybe that's too far stretch, but for me, an XBox One X controller cost about 1/10 of my monthly salary, so it's tad expensive for me). That's where this grey area comes in. Some underprivileged gamers will not have the edge of the said game in question if they don't have a controller because part of the view will be obstructed by their hands since the control mechanism is on the screen, whereas you have the full view of the game if you use a controller which can improve your gaming experience slightly, as you don't obstruct your screen with your hands.

But over here, I guess it all boils down to your consciousness. I may be too over analysed the situation, but I do believe that it's not wrong to use a controller if the game supports it, but somehow, those underprivileged gamers will felt unfair (no, not that they felt being cheated, just unfair). It's like playing hide and seek, and you being more fortunate seeker has the ability to get heat vision goggles that could let you spot the hiders easily. You are technically not cheating because you, like everyone else, needs to find your targets, but with heat vision, you can spot your targets much easier.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

It's not a grey area in the fuckin slightest. If the game officially supports the input medium, it's not cheating. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 4/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, Chiyawa said:

Yes and No.

Slight advantage isnt cheating. Just like in cod, using better guns gives slight advantages but is it cheating? No. Just like the others said, if its in the game, its not cheating. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

I don't think it's cheating. It's officially supported right? Then maybe there's an advantage but it's your choice.

Just as if someone use office mouse vs gaming mouse, do you think the one using gaming mouse with adjustable DPI cheating?

On 5/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, Chiyawa said:

Indeed. Even though the game did supports it, chances are not many gamers who play the games can afford a game controller (maybe that's too far stretch, but for me, an XBox One X controller cost about 1/10 of my monthly salary, so it's tad expensive for me). That's where this grey area comes in. Some underprivileged gamers will not have the edge of the said game in question if they don't have a controller because part of the view will be obstructed by their hands since the control mechanism is on the screen, whereas you have the full view of the game if you use a controller which can improve your gaming experience slightly, as you don't obstruct your screen with your hands.

But over here, I guess it all boils down to your consciousness. I may be too over analysed the situation, but I do believe that it's not wrong to use a controller if the game supports it, but somehow, those underprivileged gamers will felt unfair (no, not that they felt being cheated, just unfair). It's like playing hide and seek, and you being more fortunate seeker has the ability to get heat vision goggles that could let you spot the hiders easily. You are technically not cheating because you, like everyone else, needs to find your targets, but with heat vision, you can spot your targets much easier.

using that logic, then anyone with a more expensive "gaming" mouse, mechnical keyboard and a high refresh rate monitor, better CPU and GPU should also be considering a cheating grey area.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

57 minutes ago, Arika S said:

using that logic, then anyone with a more expensive "gaming" mouse, mechnical keyboard and a high refresh rate monitor, better CPU and GPU should also be considering a cheating grey area.

Yes indeed. That's why in real tournament, every participants will use the same PC with same configuration and same peripherals.

For a normal person, it's more of a blue/orange morality and depends on your conscious, but in tournament, it's definitely consider a cheat. For me, any form of advantages are considered cheating, but well, I don't complain, because I believe everyone has their rights to use whatever they want to enjoy the game. After all, ain't games are just for fun?

If controller support is provided by the devs then its not cheating. 

What I believe is cheating are the people who play mobile shooters on PC for example using keyboard and mouse running it on Bluestacks. For mobile gamers I think its really unfair as they are most likely to be on a touch screen while some guy is running around with keyboard and mouse. These types of players are very common where I live. Some time back there was this PUBG mobile tournament hosted by a local university and there were pictures of this one guy participating with an Asus gaming laptop lol. It went viral here and people were making fun of it on Facebook.  

idk if mobile game devs have done anything to counter this. 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:58 PM, Shammikit said:

idk if mobile game devs have done anything to counter this. 

you really couldnt do anything to counter it. For example, what if someone on mobile had really precise smooth aim from years of practice and everyone accused them of cheating. how would they prove their innocence? handcam?

emulators tell games they're phones. do you ban the phone models being emulated from playing? theres really no perfect solution IMO.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

it's not cheating but it may need balancing

for example: osu is a game where u need to aim and click a circle

touchscreen: have been very OP, so the developer nerfed it in ranking system

Tablet: slightly better than mouse in term of consistency (no cursor drift), but so far it's not nerfed (because... idk)

mouse: lul u broke

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

• 2 weeks later...

Well first, what kind? There is the grip controllers that don't connect and actual controllers. If we are talking about the grips then I don't think so. The devs who make the touch controls movable have considered that in the way people play. For actual controllers, it would be the fault of the devs to not make separate lobbys. Also, BT controllers that have button overlays? I am not sure.

Why would it be cheating?

if it is a feature of the game it is not cheating.

---------------

or are you gonna say, using a original gamecube controller for smashbros ultimate is cheating as well?

most smash players use gamecube controllers due muscle memory and the feel of the controller.

-----------

The only controllers that would be considered cheating are the ones that have special features like Aimlock. autofire/turbo, 

overall modified controllers, that would not be tournament legal.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 9 months later...

If you're asking if it should be considered cheating overall, I would say it's debatable. But if you're asking if Activision considers it cheating then I would say yes. I know from experience. They banned my account. Thank god I tested it out on a brand new one, but still. They banned me and it happened unbelievably fast. I didn't even get banned in my first match. They banned me before I could even finish the tutorial they force new players to do when first starting out. I know you can just quit out of that but I wanted to try it out on some bots and after 3 kills I got disconnected and it said my account was banned. Lol...

Just because it supports it, doesn't mean it isn't cheating. Real life supports peeking while playing hide-and-seek. Yet I'd call it cheating.

What makes it cheating is it being against the rules or morally objectionable. Yes, I know: for a game it wouldn't make sense to put in support for something against the rules, but my example is meant in the broader sense of things.

If the rules say nothing about what you're doing, I'd say it isn't cheating.

Does having a higher spec device, or faster and/or more reliable Internet connection, than somebody else make someone a cheater?  🤦‍♂️

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305

On 3/3/2022 at 4:10 AM, ACE-GTB said:

If you're asking if it should be considered cheating overall, I would say it's debatable. But if you're asking if Activision considers it cheating then I would say yes. I know from experience. They banned my account. Thank god I tested it out on a brand new one, but still. They banned me and it happened unbelievably fast. I didn't even get banned in my first match. They banned me before I could even finish the tutorial they force new players to do when first starting out. I know you can just quit out of that but I wanted to try it out on some bots and after 3 kills I got disconnected and it said my account was banned. Lol...

For using a Controller? That does not make any sense at all.