Oculus co-founder says he didn't want a deal with Apple or Microsoft

Dietrichw

more Oculus stuff but who would you rather have own Oculus Apple or Facebook? http://strawpoll.me/1392579 

the co-founder of Oculus has defended the sale, claiming that the deal with Facebook is better for the company than a deal with Apple would have been.

I'm torn as he does have a point because Apple would keep it for itself instead of for everyone to use, but Apple would perfect it, that is what Apple does. (make others failures or ideas into a perfect product)

Or Facebook who would make it for everyone to use but without the finesse that Apple has 

In reply to a Reddit user who said, "Just promise me there will be no specific Facebook tech tie-ins," Luckey wrote: "I promise. Why would we want to sell to someone like [Microsoft] or Apple? So they can tear the company apart and use the pieces to build their own vision of virtual reality, one that fits whatever current strategy they have? Not a chance."

Virtual-Reality-Apple-4.jpg
It's not known whether Apple had ever approached Oculus with the hopes of making an acquisition deal, but former Apple employee Tony Fadell revealed last year that the company has experimented with its own augmented reality head mounted displays (HMDs).

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/oculus-co-founder-says-he-didnt-want-deal-with-apple-3508855/

I would love if Apple bought Oculus.

Hate me.

While Apple has the money and the knowledge to do it, the Rift would become yet another closed iOS device. They would also try to find a way to patent it and sue everyone else making anything remotely similar.

I would love if Apple bought Oculus.

Hate me.

I'm on the fence because Apple would make it amazing but it would be locked down until jailbreakers get warmed up and found a way to make it open

I'm on the fence because Apple would make it amazing but it would be locked down until jailbreakers get warmed up and found a way to make it open

While Apple has the money and the knowledge to do it, the Rift would become yet another closed iOS device. They would also try to find a way to patent it and sue everyone else making anything remotely similar.

Apple would perfect it and make it mainstream, then other companies would make their own more open versions. It's perfect.

I would also buy Apple's because they would make the build quality excellent and same with software and support. It would be more expensive likely, but that's just part of buying from Apple.

Apple would perfect it and make it mainstream, then other companies would make their own more open versions. It's perfect.

I would also buy Apple's because they would make the build quality excellent and same with software and support. It would be more expensive likely, but that's just part of buying from Apple.

Apple's build quality is no better than anyone else.

I bet if Apple takes the Oculus, they would have made a gaming console to compete Sony and Microsoft lol... It'd be awesome though.

It's really good and not very common.

More of what I want is for them to make it mainstream and accessible with a lot of game support.

Hate Apple, but they are not stupid and would make the right decisions.

before i say my though on the subject can the op set the quotes font to automatic color, its impossible to read whit night theme unless selected  edit: op fixed it :)

edit: well, this is just saying keep calm and let us do it our way but whit the record facebook has acquiring other companies, we can only sit and hope for the best :(

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

He didn't want a deal with Microsoft or Apple... Because they weren't willing to pay 2 billion dollars for the company.

Two things wrong with his post.

1) He is not in charge. He can't promise that there won't be any tie-ins with Facebook. My guess is that Facebook will slowly infect Oculus Rift, one feature at a time. They always do this when they want to poison a product. You don't just dump it all in at once. You slowly increase the amount over a long period of time.

2) This is what he said less than 2 years ago: "Oculus is going forward in a big way, but a way that still lets me focus on the community first, and not sell out to a large company". He also said "I won’t make a penny of profit off this project, the goal is to pay for the costs of parts, manufacturing, shipping, and credit card/Kickstarter fees with about $10 left over for a celebratory pizza and beer!". I do not trust people who say one thing and then do the exact opposite...

uhhh no it is way above most competitors; although, on the phone side the gap has closed almost completely with the HTC one giving Apple very close competition and the Nexus 5 follows not far behind. On the rest of Apple's products they are way ahead of any prebuilt computers, argument could be made for Razer Blade but that is a small market for gamers.

Closed platforms, and proprietary connectors don't seem very standard to me... And that's been apples general theme right now.

Also, they love to inflate prices quite a bit.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

It's really good and not very common.

More of what I want is for them to make it mainstream and accessible with a lot of game support.

Hate Apple, but they are not stupid and would make the right decisions.

It's on par with a lot of other companies and better than some others, but Apple devices all have their own set of issues. Apple has the image of better quality and a pretty damn good customer support team to back themselves up.

You are completely ignoring what Apple would do with Oculus. It would NEVER be released as a desktop gaming device. EVER. The idea of the Rift being used with Windows or Linux games would be dead and buried.

I don't hate Apple but I'm not blind to what they are and what they do. Both the good things and the bad. I see no point in liking or hating any company so much that it blinds me.

before i say my though on the subject can the op set the quotes font to automatic color, its impossible to read whit night theme unless selected

@Dietrichw    This so much.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Closed platforms, and proprietary connectors don't seem very standard to me... And that's been apples general theme right now.

Also, they love to inflate prices quite a bit.

There are always others.

Just like the iPhone.

I would love if Apple bought Oculus.

Hate me.

mmmhm I love proprietary up my butt.

All I mean is that they would perfect it and make a good VR experience, not that it would be the only one or best. It would be better than Facebook.

lol I said hate me jokingly :P

nothing like a square dildo for a a square hole that almost no one has or likes...

that the worst sexual innuendo joke i have ever heard or come up whit...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

All I mean is that they would perfect it and make a good VR experience, not that it would be the only one or best. It would be better than Facebook.

lol I said hate me jokingly :P

Apple would do everything to make it NOT an open platform, and restrict it to be a "Mac only experience" bunch of BS that would be

nothing like a square dildo for a a square hole that almost no one has or likes...

that the worst sexual innuendo joke i have ever heard or come up whit...

u ok der?

Oh, stop being ridiculous! Neither company, Apple or Microsoft would have destroyed Oculus, nor Apple would have made it "locked" or only iOS compatible. The company (Oculus) is making a VR Headset for GAMING and that's where all the craze has been and that's pretty much all it does. Why would have Apple made it only iOS or Mac compatible!? What would they have used it for!? And Microsoft wouldn't have destroyed such a hyped and potentially money making product either! They would have just had a company to give more money to so they could reach their goals, sell a ton of this stuff and make them some money!

Apple would do everything to make it NOT an open platform, and restrict it to be a "Mac only experience" bunch of BS that would be

u ok der?

no, shitz brkn rigt now...

What is Oculus? I thought that thing died yesterday? I don't know why anyone would be talking about it anymore. I know I am not interested in doing so. Moved on to Sony and other alternatives here.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

neither apple nor facebook  bothwould end up ruining it by trying to add millions of unneeded things that will cause the price to skyrocket

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com