Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would love to see a video on the new Jonsbo N3 ... maybe different setups ... are the DTX boards that fit ... whats the most amount of storage one can fit ... ssd or hdd or ...  how to fit 10gig networking and graphics card ... any easy ways to mod the case.

What alternatives to the Jonsbo N3 are out there?

Maybe Proxmox + TrueNas or A Gaming/Emulation VM in one.

Most power efficient setup. I am in Germany and would love some ideas that have not been done or some "LTT" ideas on how to make it really power efficient but still "fire breathing" as Wendel would say. We haven't seen a Level1 collab in a while 😉 

I know the whole HomeNAS/HomeLab Video idea has been done a couple of times but I really enjoy those videos.

Hi,

in the last WAN show possible evolutions of water cooling were (briefly) discussed, improving on the fin design.

With your history of crazy cooling solutions under your buckle, maybe you could try metal foams as a possibilty? The surface area increase is dramatic, the heat would still be propagated along the structure (as the metall will conduct the heat way way better than water) and it is used in space 😉 What more do could one want?

Here are a few places/primary literature that I found, which could be a jumping of point:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1290072915302222

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001793100000123X

https://asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/fluidsengineering/article-abstract/124/1/263/462786/The-Effects-of-Compression-and-Pore-Size?redirectedFrom=fulltext

https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2018/06/metal-foam-heat-exchangers/

https://ergaerospace.com/phase-change-heat-exchangers/

I guess such coolers (depending on the pore size of the foam) would have a higher resistance than classic fin designs but I would guess the increase in surface area would make up for a reduced flow rate.

PS: Using metal foams on the radiator side would probably be overkill, but who doesnt like a good overkill appliance ^^

"Invalid traffic" looks like the next scandal for Google/YouTube, and a worthy subject for LTT to investigate.

2 smaller channels that I subscribe to have had their revenue cut by 80% and YouTube is not giving them any help or information. ZERO transparency.

Looks like the feast days for smaller channels are over and moving in to famine territory. I wonder how long before huge channels like LTT feel the pinch?

Linus did an iSwitched to Mac series years ago, and since then a lot has changed. I would love to see him give this challenge a try again, with a focus of giving Apple's Continuity features a real try. In particular, I would love to see which particular features he has found most useful (of course, giving them all a try), and see how he would replicate those features in Windows and Android, and what would need to change for him to seriously consider doing a permanent transition over to the Apple ecosystem -- if it's not already there. And for features that he needs that requires Windows, is Parallels good enough for him? Essentially, what is Apple doing well, and what does Apple need to change? (I suspect he'll still hate Finder)

ChatGPT has a lottttttt of noise in its plugin store. Full disclosure — I’m biased I make a plugin. But I think you should evaluate the top “Browse” / search / web connectivity plugins and do a video on the range of functionality, transparency, ethics, reliability, etc.

the ones currently on the front page are the ones doing all the paying and badgering…. Not exactly the most useful or overall good for the space.

IMG_3550.gif

I build a new computer right now and I am in need of a Nvme heatsink, and you won't beliefe at how much weird stuff I stumbled across.

Could be so much weird stuff out there that it is an easy little video with good revenue opportunities. :P

It would be interesting to see more Xiaomi product reviews. There are many products that are good value that would be interesting to see reviewed by ltt. Their phone Redmi lineup, their laptops (such as the Redmi Book Pro 15), which are both very good on paper, and the list goes on. I don't know if the American market is very interested in Xiaomi products though, is that the reason why ltt almost never review their products? I think a shortcircuit is more than enough, and in my opinion many products might get off with a reccomendation.

7 hours ago, Shensen said:

I build a new computer right now and I am in need of a Nvme heatsink, and you won't beliefe at how much weird stuff I stumbled across.

Could be so much weird stuff out there that it is an easy little video with good revenue opportunities. 😛

der8auer a.k.a Roman has a couple videos about some of the weirdos in that category.

Here is an example:

----

What I would like to see from LTT is a comparison between current gen tracking webcams vs bigger cameras on capture devices and maybe even software tracking.

Ok, so I’ve been watching Hello, I’m gaming recently. Basically the guy buys really cheap and crappy games from steam and plays them on his channel. I think LTT should do this. Just get a bunch of crappy steam games and have Linus review them. I’d love that so much.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

2 hours ago, GoStormPlaysYT said:

Ok, so I’ve been watching Hello, I’m gaming recently. Basically the guy buys really cheap and crappy games from steam and plays them on his channel. I think LTT should do this. Just get a bunch of crappy steam games and have Linus review them. I’d love that so much.

He has 73k subscribers and 5 videos over 2 months in business.

THAT is a much better thing to investigate IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/@HelloImGaming/videos

As I was watching your video "10 reasons why I daily drive a foldable"(Sep. 14/23), I started thinking about the history of the cell phones.

How the trickle down development and the scalability of other technologies affected cellphone development. There's the obvious microprocessor development and transmitter getting smaller and less energy hungry.

The development battery's; recharge ability with the reduction of size, thus increase of capacity for the time and how the increase of production reduce the price. Department of screens and how that affected certain phones in their design after that there is a wave of cameras being introduced and then I think we went back to development of micro architecture and then came back to screen development.

to the point of screen development we can even probably look into how over the time of screens, how the mother glass technology and how that's passed down from everything from TV's into cell phones.

So I thought it might be an interesting episode or series to show how things like LCD and LED screens and the mass production of those affected how we developed our cell phones also how we got better cameras change that dynamic of the phones we made and also then ship development. And how full screen technology is being produced at scale.

p.s.

Writing is not my strong suit and it's late and I'm a little drunk, thank you for your time and consideration.

Hello, 

With current trends in Video card cost/performance and growing performance and support for gaming on Apple products ( Unreal Engine 5.x especially ), have you considered that Apple may be on the precipice of becoming THE gaming hardware company?  Play portable, play on laptop, plug into a TV, they have it all covered in one ecosystem.  And with a single high graphics card now costing as much as a 14" macbook pro...... you get a whole computer with good hardware performance for the cost of a single component.

Note I am NOT an apple fan boy, in fact I have frequently called them apple crap.  But they make good hardware.

i work in car audio. there are SO MANY cheap radios/amps/speakers.  could you start attacking that? i mean like hard?  amazon has 300 pages of android radios - 100 of those pages are products under 220.00. how do they stack up?

amplifiers - old companies like orion and PPI are making them again but are a shell of their former selves. there are plenty of people testing the HUGE sub amps but no one testing 2/4/6 channel amps in that catagory. how do they perform? what are you loosing paying 60.00 vs 200 on an amp?

i would LOVE to see something be done with this world as there is few and far between of ACTUAL testing... 

On 9/14/2023 at 6:46 PM, jkr4m3r said:

He has 73k subscribers and 5 videos over 2 months in business.

THAT is a much better thing to investigate IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/@HelloImGaming/videos

Part of that is that it’s not his first channel, but yeah 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

The tech in the Type 1 diabetes world is something I follow closely, as I have an interest in tech, and have T1D (T1D is an autoimmune disease, much more common than you might think). I asked about it on WAN Show and Dan told me to ask about it in video suggestions. It would be interesting to see a video about this. I bet companies would work with you, they love advertising. I don't really know what it would be about to be fair. There's a new company called Beta Bionics, their CEO is very public-facing. Maybe something with them? No clue. When I sent my MM I was kind of just hoping to see if you guys knew anything about that world, but a video would be great for the cause 😀

So today I watched the video where Linus built a PC entirely out of components from Walmart. Unfortunately LTT made the video during the computer part shortage in Late 2020, and I don’t think that that video honestly reflects the quality and price that the Walmart parts would be today. I propose that LTT remakes this video and does it again.

I’ve got a Scrapyard wars gimmick idea I think could be a really entertaining concept with ties to the root origins:

• Each team starts out with a completed system; Maybe it’s a bit dated, perhaps a Walmart pre-built, or even inherited from a relative…
  • They have a budget of $200
  • You can sell, swap, mod, any original components - with the idea that your original components are part of your initial budget.
  • The goal is to have the fastest system at the end, and it cannot perform worse than the original system.
  • BONUS: DIY cooling solutions are heavily encouraged, and use of LABs expertise time is won through challenges
  • BONUS BONUS: Could have budget increases or sabotage challenges, kind of like Jet-lag The Game from Sam @ Wendover - all won through milestone challenges or the like.

Not sure if this thread is overly monitored, but would be a fun thing to watch I reckon!

I'd love to see a video which covers which gaming laptop CAN ACTUALLY BE USABLE AS A STANDARD USER. 

A recent video covered that people are sometimes using gaming laptops I think instead of portable workstations because they're better value.. but there is no-way you could have most of the functionality on an ASUS laptop when you're stuck running as a standard-user and don't have local-admin...  YOU CAN'T EVEN PLUG IN AN EXTERNAL SCREEN & HAVE IT WORK.   

It doesn't let you switch power-profiles between gaming/silent whatever.. their armourycrate (interface stuff) all needs you to be logged in as admin for anything to work.. including plugging in external-monitors...  

For my next purchase I'd really like to be able to make a request to one for IT that actually works...  if there was a review of which gaming-laptop manufacturers make something where the functionality can work without local-admin... or heck even at home since Microsoft advice includes strongly recommending not to run as admin.. since it's a lot fewer security boundaries for malware/whatever...    

I'd love a video on it both to genuinely guide my buying decisions but also because its insane to me what asus' response has been in their forums (somewhere i found a thread eventually linked from reddit where it appears their forum-admins talk to internal contacts - but it seems they can't understand that anyone wouldn't have or run as admin). 

As someone who works in tech and am the only person my family goes to for support, sometimes even getting Chrome Remote Desktop up and running to connect to their screen can be a challenge. A way to connect to their screen without interaction from their part (maybe a pop-up to allow access) would be a godsend.

A review of free or cheap but needs to be secure for RMM (Remote Monitoring & Management) would be good. Selfhosted would be even better.  

Another option would be how to DIY it with Wireguard (or Tailscale) and VNC, but keeping it secure is most important. 

8 minutes ago, handro said:

Selfhosted would be even better. 

Rustdesk

Otherwise Anydesk is pretty good and relatively lax on the "personal use" clause.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

32 minutes ago, TheNeoFan said:

Linus should do a gaming build with this Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 SLGTE 2.93GHz 3MB 1066MHz LGA 775 Desktop CPU Processor. It's only $12 AUD

Why? It's old.. I think they already did some retro gaming build videos. Do you know how old this CPU is son?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

I would love for Scrapyard Wars 9 to bring back the original Scrapyard Wars "theme" (the song that would play while they yelled "SCRAPYARD WARS!" in 3-7). I was kinda sad to see it go in Scrapyard Wars 8 (along with yelling "Scrapyard Wars!" in the intro).

A video where they take a set budget (1500~) and compare different configurations with larger focus on different components; GPU, CPU, Cooling, Aesthetics, Ram. Then Linus could compare the machines & show how to balance a PC. Sorta like secret shopper (eg. comparing different configurations)

Title could be something like (Does balancing your PC really affect performance?)