Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 8/15/2023 at 12:48 AM, Magister99 said:

Dan sent me here with the suggestion I made in my WAN Show merch message.

Per Google IPv6 is approaching 45% adoption worldwide and in some countries, including the US and Canada, can see positive latency impacts. I'd love to see LTT test this out to see if you can produce measurable latency improvements on games or anything else.

Source:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

On that topic - it could be interesting for Luke / @jakkuh_t / @Emily Young to implement IPv6 in the LTT & Labs office network (and maybe also Linus' home network?).
Seeing LTT videos covering the firewalls, IP allocation etc. I don't recall anything about IPv6 — almost no mentions of IPv6 on the forum either.

The world is very clearly moving towards IPv6. Even this message is being written using IPv6 (since CloudFlare in front of the LTT forum is using this). We can only expect more resources and networks utilizing IPv6 since there are fewer and fewer IPv4 IP addresses available as the Internet is growing...

AWS also just announced they will be surcharging all their customers $3.65 US per IP per month for the use of IPv4s (citing the rising cost of procuring IPs on the secondary market as almost none are left on the primary) and seeing this introduced by the largest cloud provider in the world, we can expect even quicker adoption of IPv6 soon.

Additionally, many large ISPs (including Starlink) also already implement CG-NAT (Carrier-Grade NAT) for their IPv4 traffic meaning the customers on their home routers just see private IPv4s on the WAN side (usually from 100.64.0.0/10 block).
Compared to IPv6 traffic, all traffic from such customers to the Internet using IPv4 has to go through additional (NAT) devices before it leaves the network of an ISP (which also means the traffic is NAT-ed twice as the first NAT is within home/office network).

Because of this, the latency from the same client using the same ISP to the same server on the Internet will be higher when using IPv4 than IPv6 (explaining Google's results) - usually a couple of ms.

A lot of ISPs nowadays tend to run IPv6 + IPv4 at the same time, it's a setup known as dual-stack (with the IPv4 part being either a public IPv4 or a private IPv4 behind CG-NAT/customer router's NAT).

It looks like LTT's ISP - iTel - already supports IPv6 (https://bgp.he.net/AS16696#_prefixes6) so it should be possible for LTT to easily obtain some toasty /48 IPv6 block and implement it internally.
Additional points for implementing DNS64 and NAT64 (at least as a test) - allowing to shut down IPv4 on the client side completely and yet still have access to IPv4 resources (multiple large mobile/cell carriers around the world already started doing that on a large scale! Eg. Telstra in Australia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_transition_mechanism#464XLAT).

This topic could also cover how to secure access to IPv6 devices from the outside (as technically in IPv6 every single device receives 2 public IPv6 IPs).

If you would like to chat more about this, feel free to send a DM 🙂

PS. Fun fact - IPv6 was invented before IPv4 NAT was invented 🙂 More info here: https://youtu.be/GLrfqtf4txw

I need a comparison between laptops like on different categories like gaming laptops, 2 in 1, budget laptops and the category that includes Mac Pro m2, Dell Xps 13 or/and 15, Framework 13, HP Dragonfly (I don’t know how to call it)

Also I would love to see like a general update of the Linus house (maybe on a 10 hours long video :))

Lastly I would love a build on the Corsair Obsidian 1000D but a build with 2 motherboards a 5995WX, a 7950X3D, four 4090’s an external huge radiator and the ekwb distro plate for the 1000d.

I'm sorry if i made any spelling mistakes, i'm not an English speaker.

Ryzen 7 5700G @ 4.2GHz All Core. Aorus Elite V2. 2x8Gb 3600MHz CL17. Nfortec Aegir X. Nfortec Nervia.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, PhaseGuardian said:

Video Suggestion for Linus Tech Tips: (I don't think he covered this topic before)

PCIe cellular LTE Modem use with a laptop such as a Thinkpad P50.

the Thinkpad P50 laptop has a PCIe slot underneath its keyboard where it appears a modem can be added, and the 2 antenna cables for it. However it is unclear how this type of thing can be done.

There are PCIe LTE modems available online, PCIe SIM card adapters with PCIe slots on them, etc.

Maybe the video can feature the P50 laptop? But be geared towards adding an LTE modem in the following forms to a laptop:  PCIe, M.2, and USB.

Maybe Linus could shed some light for a user to DIY a T Mobile, Verizion, or Mint Mobile LTE connection to a laptop? (Some require SIM cards).

Yes, I want to do exactly this.  That is use an m.2 card with a sim slot on it.  I see them available but not sure how or if they work.  I also can't tell if it's a combo LTE and WiFi card or if I'd have to use a separate slot for each.

Edited by Mr Ben
Add more clarity

Can we get a video like Optimum Tech's latest upload about 3D printed cooling ducts? I'd like to see how performance is without fans on the heatsinks of the cpu and aftermarket gpu coolers.

Video for reference

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

I'd love some videos on emulation. Emily has down fantastic videos on retro consoles before and they have spoke about emulation on the steam deck a bit while trying not get in too much trouble with the likes of Nintendo from what I remember.

But I'd love some real-world benchmarks comparing CPUs when it comes emulation. There is a lot of talk in the emulation community that CPUs that support AVX 512 are the best. Also CPUs with 3D v-cache.  The benchmarks are often quite sparse though. 

Most people know that emulators are quite often CPU bound so it would be great if Labs did something like this.

@Emily Young Emulation community needs some love. 

I'd love to see thoughts on this laptop.  The idea is ( I believe) easier repairability and customization. Curious to see how performance is impacted.

https://frame.work/

*edit - I might have been a tad late on this lmao. Just watched all his vids on it. Whoops.

Edited by Arevera1

Artifical skylights seem like an absolute game changer for lighting.

Currently super expensive, and CoeLux seems to be the only real player in the space.

Would be cool to see a video on it - wonder if they could be used for natural lighting for filming in a studio?

I recently bought an 80 ft hdmi cable because I saw one on ltt. I was curious as to how the hdmi standard can even support 80ft, and it turns out it can't. They support it because it's actually 2 fiber optical converters at each end of the cable and then hdmi plugs, I'd be curious to know if they make the same thing for usb? I have a 30ft usb cable with an active signal booster because it needs one, is this something that we'll see more of as we keep going? Why did I not know that these exist??

The intel arc series of gpu have been out for more than a year now it would be awesome to see a 12 (almost 13 now) month update on performance 

Having recently got the Mechanical keyboard bug, would love a video on QMK (I know there are lots of good tutorials) but maybe a fun intro and then some crazy RGB programing and custom key assignments. 
Linus's keyboard keys has been remapped so every key does something crazy with all his house automations (Open his Garage door, play a random playlist on spotify , shutdown his server, etc....) 
Essentially quick intro to QMK and then use it to cause mayhem with RGB and custom key binding. 

https://docs.qmk.fm/#/

building a very cheap basic server to stop paying for iCloud, google or any other storage. PLEASE budget be around $400-$500. 

On 8/25/2023 at 5:37 PM, Arneun said:

I've already touched about this in Errors handling policy topic but:

FP exclusives/another channel videos/quarterly LTT videos in the "what went wrong" format.

Basically story of what happened, and what led to creation of errors that leaked up to the public (or that didn't but the story is worth telling). This could be done in entertaining fashion, and at least some IT companies are organizing "fuck-ups nights" which is basically telling the stories about (albeit cherry picked) errors/mistakes that impacted company (also in that situations usually the 'source' of mistake is the one telling the story, just in order to not throw somebody under the bus).

This could also spread awareness about new error policy, and how it was uphold (and I believe that in at least some of cases the story could be told with a lot of humour).

Tom Scott also publishes caught errors, and corrective actions he had taken, and uses more interesting ones to drive attention to less interesting (in video where he tells a story of a correction he also references web page where he posts all minor and major corrections).

so does Half as Intresting do that
its called Quarter as Intresting

CGP Grey also did that when he made a mistake

I just had to put my Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical (bought in 2002) to rest. Same as the guy with the 2005-ish $5k computer made me wonder what old hardware is still going strong. 

Found someone doing this: 

Could be really interesting and it definitely holds grounds for further investigation, I think, looking at the given results (Showing hotspots and it depends on the configuration but its something like: 84 C to 76 C for a 4090 (+ less noise), and 90 C to 76 C on a 13900K). It's maybe not possible for now but it could make a huge difference if implemented on a larger scale (i.e. "pre-made/ assembled" computers)

On 8/14/2023 at 8:22 PM, andyme said:

I would like to see a reply to this video from Steve aka tech jesus 

They replied:

Video idea: does K5 pro thermal paste inside smartphone help cool components down? As in, putting K5P on the inside of the phone backside, re-attaching it, seeing if it improves temps and performance. 

According to iFixit, the biggest problem with the McDonalds soft serve machines is that they overheat.

I mean, come on, nothing is more up your alley than this.  The script writes itself.

I'm entirely sure that someone else has suggested this by now, but I would love to see what apps and software, etc. the LMG team uses - I know that SOP's and those types of things have been in the conversation a lot more lately, and as someone who is trying to organize my own team at work, it would be great to see what kind of software and apps are in use at LMG! (If this exists, please let me know!)

I just came across perhaps the weirdest/most interesting gaming peripheral I've ever seen sitting in my mom's garage - an old Logitech Wingman Force Feedback mouse: https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/detail.aspx?id=130

It's a haptic mouse, feels like the body of a regular Wingman Gaming but it's built into the pad below it. Very limited range of motion. Mine was actually sent to me by Logitech in 1999 to review back for a Quake 3 site I wrote for. If you guys have any interest in playing with/reviewing the thing, feel free to drop me a line.

This might be a bit too boring for a video, but it looks like (according to one AVS Forum user) the Samsung S95C QD-OLED One Connect Box is overheating on gamers since they are feeding it high framerates. That TV can't be used without the One Connect Box and it already was, in my opinion, already bad enough that their flagship had HDMI 2.1 ports limited to 40gbps. It would be nice to see the box opened, evaluated, and LMG's own cooling solution along with Samsung being called out for that.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2023-samsung-4k-s95c-s90c-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3267261/post-62788118

I found an old 1976 Intel development kit on Craigslist. Seems like some kind of educational tool maybe? I know you've done similar videos on old educational tools so maybe you won't want to make another video about that, but incase you do here it is:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/sop/d/shorewood-intel-8085-development-kit/7656591707.html
I don't know anything about it other than what I read from the description and I thought it sounded pretty interesting.

HI All @LinusTech 

Was watching some YouTube, and came across this video: -
and a  brilliant Idea came to mind to prevent condensation when using the aircon to Cool a CPU.

Would LTT be interested in trying this out, and running the tubes through sealed holes into a Vacuum Chamber to where the  ,cooler is  mounted to the motherboard inside?
thus the coolant will flow through the copper tubes, to reach the motherboard inside , and back out to the external air conditioner, while not needing to insulate the motherboard, due to the "dry air" in the vacuum chamber?
Thus successfully mitigating condensation on the components inside the Vacuum chamber, and can cool away without a worry?

Video Idea: The Dark World of Xbox Controller Adapters

• Xbox controller runs on BLE and 2.4ghz proprietary signals, by default controller connects to your PC with bluetooth
  • Adapters, that use the 2.4ghz band from microsoft are expensive, $35+
  • You can find generic adapters from $2 on AliExpress - $20
  • Proposal: Purchase an Xbox Controller (latest model + latest fw upgrade), An official dongle from MSFT, Bluetooth motherboard, a variety of generic adapters from Ali + eBay (some fake ones look convincing)
  • Q:
    • How is the lag between adapters?
    • How is battery life affected?
    • What are the cheaper adapters made from, what do they use, do they come with malware?