Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I’d love it if the Mac Address covered some of the more specific Mac customizations you can do. A few of my favorites include editing the PAM file to allow Touch ID in more places, changing a ton of settings in the dock, and showing battery life always. I could have a full slew of commands and settings to change to make it better. I like that Mac Address currently focuses on hardware but there’s more to the exquisite Mac experience than hardware

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I had a video idea where Linus would test/disassemble different knockoff mac charging bricks from AliExpress and compare them.

Mac charger 1

Mac charger 2

Mac charger 3

Mac charger 4

To whomever it may concern,

Would you and your team be interested in making a short circuit or mini-sode, running SSD only or SSD recommended 2023/2024 games with different generations of hard drives? Starting as low as a 74GB WD Raptor or Maxtor Drive all the way up to a 2023 gaming hard drive to see if the game stops running correctly or has longer loading times at the media level or at the age of the drive. It would determine importance of the controller, read head and/or platters for example. Maybe test with old 1.6-inch Zif drives, 2.5-inch s/hdd, 3.5 inch slim or standard 3.5-inch drives. 

I usually give out 1tb or 2tb Seagate 3.5-inch slim drives I get from old DVRs to friends in need of extra bulk game storage.

Thank you for your time.

image20526.jpg

image20525.jpg

Resized_20231229_220835_1703913029857.jpeg.jpg

image20535.jpg

Hey lmg, It would be fun if you did a “dual-y pc” or some other name involving 2 things. The premise is that you get 2 of everything. Dual cpu, you could get 2 dual gpu cards and sli or crossfire them using old drivers, get one of those power supply’s that is 2 sfx power supply’s in an Atx form factor, 2 aios, dual Chanel ram, and stuff like that. I’m sure you could take it much further. Just an idea but I think it would be fun to build and watch.

My Main rig: i7-4790, Asus z97c, Radeon HD 7850 (2gig), Fractal Design Focus G.

My Laptops: Dell xps 12 flip screen, Dell Latitude e5410, MacBook 2009, and a Hp 2000

Beware Yankees I'm a Louisianan  *Rebel Yell*

Hey Guys! I got a video Idea to test "WHICH OS COULD HANDLE THE MOST CHROME TABS ON 8GB RAM?"

The OS in Question is Windows, Mac, and Chromebook! I recently switched to Chromebook and discovered they don't use the typical RAM swap to Disk, But a Zram system, where they compressed the RAM into the RAM! Which make my mind blown! like how the system handle it and how's the latency? So yeah maybe is more like an informative and comparison between RAM SWAP system with ZRAM system. It's Interesting! and myabe that's why apple think that 8GB is still enough? hahaha

Hello LTT team,

Long time viewer, first time poster.

I would love to see your opinions and experiences using the Tilt Five connected to a PC.

https://www.tiltfive.com/

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.38.45 PM.png

And now that I am here, I also think that taking a PS5 (or Xbox), a steam deck and a budget PC, connecting them to a 4K 120Hz large TV and comparing the performance per price would be interesting now that it has been 3 years since the PS5 release and a year or so since the SteamDeck release.

Good Morning LTT I live close by in North Vancouver and was wondering if you guys would like to do a second all Noctua pc with a Noctua case that I have. I recently saw your all Noctua pc challenge and noticed that you had modified the case to be Noctua themed I have a case that I assume is manufactured by Noctua however, I am not certain as I can't find it on the internet it appears quite old as it has a firewire connection no USB 3 connecters and a large amount of different sized card readers including CF/MD XD and MS as well as SD the case is advertised as a home theatre pc and is an MATX case with a DVD drive I can give you the case for a video but I would like the case back after the video is filmed 

IMG_0129[1].JPG

IMG_0127[1].JPG

IMG_0128[1].JPG

IMG_0126[1].JPG

2 hours ago, CameronTurnbull said:

I have a case that I assume is manufactured by Noctua however

If you're going by the case badge, you get those with their coolers. Got one on my case I 3D printed myself 😅

image.jpeg.c4cbb82a68989705dfd17a2f208b318f.jpeg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'd love to see a video on the Flash point Archive, the guys talk (especially Linus) about old flash games dying with such nostalgia, I'd love to see a video revisiting old games, their favourite games and giving some exposure to the website

https://flashpointarchive.org/

launcher.png

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

If you're going by the case badge, you get those with their coolers. Got one on my case I 3D printed myself 😅

image.jpeg.c4cbb82a68989705dfd17a2f208b318f.jpeg

Good to know also nice specs

So I'm wanting to get a 3D printer soon, and about to start into research on how to actually use one, from modelling/designing parts, to which printer is going to be best for me. As with everything when there is already a large user base, it's quite a daunting dive into the space. 

Being so knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to 3D printing, a series of videos hosted by Dan on the subject would be absolutely incredible.

Going from what to look for in a first 3D printer, through the stages to first print, what to do when errors occur, maintainence, different fillement types, all that jazz. 

I know there are a lot of 3D Printer channels on YouTube and a lot of information already out there, but after re-watching Dan unbox the Elgoo Neptune 4 Pro, I can't imagine learning about this stuff from anyone else now. 

I'm sure it would help a lot of people like me, 3D printing is an excellent tool, but people like me are quite hesitant to get into the space because they are quite intimidating things. Having people that we know and trust like the LTT team, but particularly Dan on this subject, would make it a lot easier and encourage others to get involved. 

Over the holiday break, I put the finishing touches on a personal/hobby project: assembling a library of 3,500 digital movie posters, and converting an unused TV to a digital movie poster display. I connected the TV to a cloud-based slideshow app to display the library—and I think it turned out great.

When I was done, I realized other tech and movie fans might like to put together a similar system, so I wrote up a comprehensive guide for assembling your own using any budget, with some tips to avoid a lot of pitfalls I encountered. And I came up with a way for me to share the same cloud-based poster library I put together for myself. What's nice is that as soon as I add a new poster to the library, it automatically becomes available to everyone else.

I put a lot of work into the poster collection: Every poster is in 4K resolution or higher. Every poster has had its contrast ratio adjusted to achieve perfect black levels on OLED displays. And as an art director by trade, I've retouched hundreds of vintage posters in the collection to remove dust, dirt, and other imperfections.

I decided to put up a website to support the project called Movie Posters Perfected

I'd love to see the LTT team put together a system like this for Linus' snazzy home theater room. Or maybe challenge them to come up with a better system than mine?

Need long term use impression video from Jake using a $7200 MBP for 12 months as a daily driver.

Fake phones and how to spot them. Fake S23 Ultras and iPhones are being sold through buying-selling platforms like Offerup, FB marketplace, and Craigslist. These are complete with replica sealed boxes and almost 1:1 physically matching phones and software. (photo of a fake vs. real S23 Ultra; the only noticeable physical difference is the uncentered S-Pen placement) 

May be an image of phone and text

I've linked two videos below that show what to look out for, but unless you're buying a black light to shine on these boxes; it's impossible to tell a fake vs. real iPhone without opening up the box and inspecting things like the camera.  

Figured this could make a potentially interesting expose; exploring where they come from, as well as serve as a PSA to raise awareness of these scams.

Fake S23 Ultra:

Fake iPhone 15 Pro Max:

Backdrop- Samsung Unpacked is happening in ~2 weeks and I figured there'd be some great deals as folks are looking to upgrade their S23s for S24s (wanted to replace my trusty 6 year old phone). I came across deals that were too good to be true, and after a bit of research, they were. 

PC in Profile

I am looking into Moca adapters for my home ( need to get internet to a particular area of the house only served with Coax ) and I came across something niche but super neat

Magic-SFP 

https://www.mdslink.com/magic-sfp/

An SFP+ to Moca adapter for 1 gig or 2.5 gig networking. 

Sometimes we can't avoid the use of moca, and this seems like a super interesting way to keep a much cleaner rack and setup. 

A password manager challenge/secret shopper type video.

- In last week WAN, Luke mentioned he'd like to see more people use Firefox. I'm sticking with Chrome only because of Google password manager.

-In this week WAN they talked about 2FA and bad password manager advices.

I tried one a very long time ago and it sucked (Windows and Android integration were bad). Seeing a variety of managers compared in a video with real daily use would help and educate many viewers into making a choice.

Since this can disturb work flow I don't think Linus, Luke or other high level staff should do it. Especially because of all the multiple accounts for the same service they have to deal with, it could be less relatable.

Hey Linus I see they sell gpus on TEMU please please do a temu gaming build 

Can you make a video explaining how bottlenecks work and how they're irrelevant in some areas like 4K, so there can be less people trusting bottleneck calculators and asking:

"Will XYZ CPU bottleneck my RTX 4070?"

or I've seen:

"Does my [very recent CPU] bottleneck my RTX 40something at 4K resolution?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I think it would be interesting to see a video on the best hardware paired with the worst hardware that will work with it. 
For example: the latest Ryzen paired with the lowest end compatible motherboard, or super high end motherboard with the worst compatible CPU. 

Would love to see a review of the brand new BambuLabs A1!

It serves as a direct rival for beginners that is knocking Creality, Ender, and even Prusa out of the park for the price point, features, and user friendliness.

It's being called not just a "good starting point" to 3d printing, but the ONLY starting point. Easily one of the best if not the best bedslinger there is currently.

Its hard to find non-biased reviews these days so would very much like to hear your thoughts on it.

I have been looking for a cheap low idle power (consumption) headless server (act as a DLNA server, Pi-Hole, WireGuard, Jelly etc) that I stick in a cupboard plugged into my network.   It looks to me as the Intel N100 mini servers are now looking better than say the Raspberry Pi5. Would be worth investigating options  

In the example I can see a N100 8GB mini PC https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005234874016.html or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006421796761.html

Both are much the price you pay for a Pi5 + "special" Pi5 power supply + case + CPU fan + SD card

N100 CPU also has a lower TDP and idle current draw than the Pi5.

Just wondering if I'm missing something obvious

This isn't a video suggestion-

But if a collab with Mr. Beast is ever done, I need the video to be flooded with explosions.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.