Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video Suggestion: Thunderbolt/USB Networking

Macs are capable of Thunderbolt networking - could be cool to explore the feasibility of replacing ethernet with thunderbolt. Are there switches or would systems need to be daisy-chained? Would switches be possible? Could Thunderbolt be used for only some sections of the network, can it be bridged to ethernet / wifi and communicate with other devices on your network (e.g. wifi or ethernet devices)? Can it be assigned an IP address in your regular subnet via your DHCP server? What size are the longest thunderbolt cables - would extension cables or repeaters make the network more feasible? 

What are the limitations - can you only transfer files? could you remote desktop, access a web server / plex? Speedy NAS?

Part 2 or Alternative

Instead / or as a follow-up, another, similarly interesting video would be expanding this to beyond Macs - does this, or something similar work on Linux or Windows with Thunderbolt / USB4 / USB 3? Is it compatible between operating systems?

I’ve grown up with industrial and commercial electricians, and I started thinking about a “DIY” case idea using industrial type electrical enclosures. The idea of full customization, like, choosing your own ventilation placement, no limit to cord management, being in complete control of how everything goes together. I think it would make for a great video and be a great opportunity to show off the LMG shop and tools. Platt electric in the US carries almost any size “case” you could want, and I believe there a several inexpensive options on Amazon.

video about ergonomics when at the computer and go over different chairs, desks, keyboards mice and anything that can help to sit comfortably while doing office work, gaming or chilling watching youtube and to reduce RSI, pain or future injury, could even get a professional or someone that specializes in the field to help give input, vaguely remember there being a video with terran before he left but i dont think its available anymore

Current and near futur VR options for Linux.

How good is the experience?

What about Wireless VR?

A tech quickie or WAN show quick subject, an Australian cattle farmer put up a large road sign saying "TRUST ME NOT Google, ISLA GORGE, ON HIGHWAY 17.5KM" because google maps kept sending people wondering into his large property/farm in the hopes of finding the tourist spot Isla Gorge. 

Article can be easily found using your preferred search engine "Queensland Grazier makes sign to redirect lost travellers following Google Maps" abc<dot>net<dot>au/news is where I found it. 

It's a nice story of a low-tech solution to this Farmers problem with google. Doesn't sound like he even tried contacting google, just went "nah, yeah I'll put up a sign instead"

I was just browsing around on temu for giggles and I noticed they've got laptops/windows surface clones, ranging in price from $150 to $530. I think this would be a great topic for an LTT video, am I wrong?

Likely no different from the Alibaba, AliExpress, insert knock off clone store name here we've seen before. Temu is the same thing, just aimed at the American markets. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Battle of the Builds?

We could have a community thing like Battle of the Builds where it could be a topic on New Builds and Planning and we reply to that with our own best builds for price points, resolution for gaming or just games that they're playing and whichever's list/s are the best win a prize

And it doesn't have to be frequent. @venomtail said on the same thread that it could be just once a year. It'd just be fun

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

I really want to see Linus and the Labs team grab all the flagship NVIDIA & AMD GPUs from the GTX 4xx - RTX 20xx / R9 290x - RX 5xxx and do the best overclock / water cool setups and try to break the current records for each card! I think that would be an amazing playlist for us amateur overclockers to see! They have the equipment for it!

🔧 Project: DIVINITY 🔧

[Parts List Updated]

⚙️ Currently on a mission: Full-time 12-hour shifts ⚙️

🕒 Patience is a virtue! Your response is in the works. 🕒

Zack from JerryRigEverything has request Linuses help on his new bunker project (he didn't outwardly state it, but I can sense he was thinking it even if he didn't know it).  Check it out here: 

He needs an off grid WiFi setup in his bunker, which is apocalypse proof and doesn't rely on an internet connection.  

I think there are a lot of subscribers on both channels who would like to see Linus turn up at Zacks place and help with this project.

There was a lot of (valid) criticism in the "Tech Support Told Her To Break the PC"  video

Need an "Ultimate troubleshooting guide" I think

I would like to see them test out the Longsoon 3A6000 CPU, the new  Longsoon LG200 LGGPU, as well as the Gitstar JH920 GPU from China.

I'd love to se a video on this desktop GPU, which is actually a laptop model that has been modified to use a normal PCIe slot in a desktop.

This store on aliexpress, has quite a few different laptop GPUs that were modified to be on desktop boards. Based on their descriptions they are old mining boards repurposed with used laptop GPU dies.

Store Home

Would love to see a review of the Yarbo modular lawn robot. Been keeping track of its progress and the release of the snowblower module. I hate shoveling snow, so this would be amazing if it works well. The lawn mower module will be released next year. Maybe that would be a good time to do the review.

It was at CES 2023 and i was surprised not to see it covered by any of the tech youtubers. Maybe they know something I dont. But i'd like to hear about it.

Here's some links:
https://www.yarbo.com
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yarbo/yarbo-an-intelligent-yard-robot-to-meet-all-yard-care-needs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNFGr_kvWywsDGuxepxleVg
https://www.reddit.com/r/Yarbo/

Lots of Chips (Xeon, etc) aren't worth reviewing on launch because the market for them isn't gamers/consumers, but those chips do often end up as recommendations for used machines. I've personally owned machines with Xeons, and I'm not even a hardcore user. I just bought a used machine.
Is it worth making a video about the feasability of building a used gaming/homelab machine with hardware that was originally never marketed towards consumers?

Are you guys going to make a video comparing the stream deck OLED, Asus Ally, and Lenovo legion go? Performance/screen/controls and personally what people prefer

Gaming at all price points 2024 editon! It would be cool to have a vid like this again! :D

On 11/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, Runar said:
Dear Ltt. I have an offering to you. My 4090 Msi suprim x card stopped working. The card lights up, fans spin. And troubleshooting ligts light up no problem. But no picture.

I contacted customer service for help and explained the situstion. It been in on a watercooled rig. Ive use ek clear cryo fuel. They wanted me to check for waterdamage.

They said that before i send it in i should check everything on the card before sending inn or they would charge 50usd pr haf an hour to check it. So i did all i could, tried it on diffrent motherboard, diffrent powersupply. Check psb for waterdamage.

They told me to send it in.
I got en email that they recived the package. And 3 min later they told me the warrenty sticker had been removed so there was nothing they could do for me. I tried telling them for checking the pcb for waterdamage but they would not listen.

I got a bit sad about it since it was a computer me and my stepson had built togheter as a father son activity. But ill try save up for another one to christmas for him ( just take a few extra shift as a paramedic 😄)

The reason ive got an offer to you is because both of us wachr ltt. Its sort of a bounding thing for us. So im willing to send you the gpu and maybe you could do a "repair a 4090" card video. I would not expect the card back. But that would be a nice ending for this story for both me and him. And as always learning.

If you're in the US, that is a violation of the magnuson warranty act.  They have to prove you damaged the card.  The void if removed warranty stickers are illegal.

Do you guys ever intend on bringing back the 24*7 youtube live stream?

Lian LI 215 CASE

MSI Micro ATX MOTHERBOARD

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12500T   2.00 GHz

AMD RX 6600 GPU

32 GB OF  DDR4 RAM

There's a mystery around Samsung QD-OLED TVs thats causing drama. 

First, it's announced Samsung is gonna release an WOLED TV this years under the S89C name. As if S90C and S95C weren't confusing enough. 

https://www.techradar.com/televisions/samsungs-next-oled-tv-will-cause-total-chaos-in-its-lineup-and-i-cant-work-it-out

It hits bestbuy shelves with a QD-OLED MSRP price, and quickly goes on sale to WOLED prices. first few people get them and take a picture of the subpixels, and it is RGB not WRGB! Then a Canadian Samsung site finally is edited to say it's Quantum dot. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/oled-tvs/77-class-s89cb-oled-4k-qn77s89cbfxza/?CID=afl-ecomm-rkt-cha-040122-url_Slickdeals+LLC&utm_source=url_Slickdeals+LLC&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1&utm_content=208164&rktevent=Slickdeals+LLC_lw9MynSeamY-wWdMayGf_ZwFCXoF9JNsIg&ranMID=47773&ranEAID=lw9MynSeamY&ranSiteID=lw9MynSeamY-wWdMayGf_ZwFCXoF9JNsIg#specs

Havoc ensues with people literally being banned from forums for saying this is a QDOLED TV.  (Read the comments) 

Why would samsung make another QDOLED TV that seems to bare no difference to the S90C? 

But wait, from the specs listed it as drawing 22 watts more power than an S90C and 20 less watts S95C which might be a clue to it's panel specs.

We need someone to test it and figure out were it stands! Not even rtings knows about this TV yet! 

(My speculation is these are 77" Gen 1 QD panels that Samsung sat on from the Gen 1 low yield days)

Would love to see a review with some of Ugreen's docks and hub, now that Anker is no longer a sponsor.

I found a listing for an engineering sample GTX 1660TI Founders Edition card. Seems legit with photos + GPU-Z. Could make an interesting video. If interested, contact quickly because I'm sure it will sell fast.

IMG_1254.PNG

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg