Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I don't really know an angle but Dan Hurd, a fellow BC youtuber, had his Kid's Camp afftected by the wildfires. You're totally different circles but maybe you guys could figure out an angle to collab on something to help the Kids camp??

I've been looking into it and I think it'd be awesome to see an LTT video about the coffeemod for old Z170/Z270 motherboard users upgrading for as cheap as possible. Like someone who's using an i7 6700k who wants an upgrade for as cheap as possible. Get an AliExpress qn8g 8700k eng sample, slap it in your Z170 and reap the rewards. I'd love to see an in depth guide on the process of the bios modding and well as the physical mods you need to do for all the different kinds of motherboards.

My media PC currently has an i5 6600 with an asus z170i pro gaming and I was thinking about this and thought it'd be a great way for people to get on a 6 core 12 thread/ 8 core 8 thread CPU who already have a decent motherboard, ram, cooler etc but just need some more CPU speed. Hope this becomes a video

So every once in a while we get these videos of cheap stuff from aliexpress and the likes, well this is actually worth covering. This keyboard costed me 17 euro, it's mechanical, comes with spare switches, weights 560 grams without the 2 triple A batteries (sadly this one cannot be use wired as well) and just took 4 days to arrive.

This is honestly crazy. Sure it's not going to replace my regular keyboard for many reasons, and I'm sure @Plouffe is not gonna think it's the best thing ever. However at that price there is no reason for anyone to use the horror that are rubber domes.

This also makes it perfect for those looking for a keyboard to use on their smart tv or console etc.

I definitely think this deserves a short circuit video, and I would love to see Plouffe give his thoughts on a very cheap keyboard, yet that is a major step up from the junk we see at those prices.

20230928_105846.thumb.jpg.550788e728b866fa28b7f28842e702bf.jpg

Little sound test 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EueOV5p

How about a video on microSD cards for Steam Deck and equivalent hand-held PCs?
Like, what is the performance difference between an old class-10 card, a more modern class-10 U1 card, class-10 U3 card, a card with A1 and A2 rating, or two cards with the same rating but different read speeds (for example, Samsung Evo Plus is a class-10 U3 A2 card rated at 130MB/s read, while Samsung Pro Plus has the same rating but 160MB/s read speeds).

Is it worth getting a new card if you already have an older one lying around? Is it worth it to fork over the extra cash for the possible performance boost?

Probably not the most interesting video idea, but I think this information would be very useful to many people given how popular the handheld PCs are becoming.

What about a 2023 secret shopper?? I think a lot of people will really enjoy that…

I'm sorry if i made any spelling mistakes, i'm not an English speaker.

Ryzen 7 5700G @ 4.2GHz All Core. Aorus Elite V2. 2x8Gb 3600MHz CL17. Nfortec Aegir X. Nfortec Nervia.

Hey gyz I've been following LTT on YouTube forever and it's a dream of mine for you to help me with this, which could make a cool informative video as well. I have a Lenovo y700 "gaming laptop" that is getting around 7-8 years old. Got a nice dead pixel with a beautiful line running down the screen and she needs an upgrade. This is currently my only pc which is for my job, a so when (if) it crashes, I will be screwed big time. I would love to game on it but it can really only handle CSGO and not to well. But thinking since the body of the laptop is quite big i wonder what you could get in there while keeping it cool. WOULD LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN LIFE FOR YOU GYZ TO HELP ME WITH THIS AND I'M 34yrs OLD LOL. Think a video of amping up a semi older laptop would be awesome. Thanks and 🙏 to hear back and get something in motion. I am in the states so feel free to text/call me 513-544-4369 or email grandspiral@gmail.com  

Hope everyone has a great time and please let's do this!!

if you haven't done so already can you review the big antivirus software company's its really hard to shop around all the review websites are paid or given a special version of there software so it tests higher in virus and malware detection tests than it usually would and the average joe like myself has no idea how to test them so in short I would like it if you could do a video or two to find out who's ripping you off is paid better than the free version and how much performance do you really lose when it comes down to having them installed like do you lose frames in games things like that I know they have gaming modes built in but are they just for show or do they actually work. FYI I'm using bit defender total security and its a resource hog.

Please do a video about a budget home server build, and what parts are more important to get high end and which parts don't matter as much 

I would like to see a channel super fun video of Linus talking about and eating cereal.  Go deep. 

Why not a collab with AVGN/cinemassacre? https://www.youtube.com/@JamesNintendoNerd

I know Linus usually prefers to collab with terrible and often downright awful creators, but why not collab with one of the most respected early-days youtubers? He could probably use a server upgrade.

relevant video from 2021:

I've been looking for a cheap capture card and there are pages of cheap similar looking devices all with "low latency" on amazon, which is dubious as they never list a number, maybe this is something labs could test?

I would like a video revisiting ARC GPUs considering how much the drivers have improved and maybe another 1 month challenge 

On 9/29/2023 at 11:43 PM, Guille.R said:

What about a 2023 secret shopper?? I think a lot of people will really enjoy that…

bro predicted the future

A video on android auto/apple car play drop-in replacements for car radios. I think this topic could be a good one to cover because a lot of them are from unknown brands but could be a good way to modernize older cars cheaply if any of them are actually good. 

Hi there guys,

Some context : was planning a next year desktop build, potentially in the 3k€ range and figured that for this much money, I would, of course, want to have best performing parts for what I spend !

While going on about my research on specs to look out for, I remembered the piece you did about RAM in laptops and how rank would affect performance :

Following this, I wondered if LABS could test Intel and AMD CPUs with 1Rx16, 1Rx8, 2Rx16, 2Rx8, both in single and dual channel, both in DDR4 and DDR5 with "low" and "high" frequencies (relative to DDR4 and 5 speeds) and with/without XMP/XPO enabled, see what would be the bullet points for what kinda parts/specs/config people should look out for and make a 2023/24 edition/refresh of the video above.

I've been told many things from many people such as "double ranks increases stress on the IMC", "it works better with a single stick", "depends if you have XMP enabled" etc... a testing suite covering all these variables and giving us the big picture would be extremely helpful for people who spend the extra day looking up specs for parts.

EDIT : maybe a demo into how overspeccing RAM impact performance as well ? Say a system that will never use over 16GB, if it gets 96 or 192, how "badly" does the overall system performance gets a hit on that ?

Also, purely hypothetical, let's assume a highly capable CPU, DDR5-high frequency low latency, PCIe gen5 NVMe, the whole speed schtick BUT very low RAM capacity, to the point the system has to swap, how bad does performance take a hit from that if the system has the fastest available components on the market ?

Thanks,

TheGeekn°72

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

Should do a review on the new Xbox Gold Shadow Controller and compare it with the real gold controller Linus has 

I would love to see a review on the new Lenovo legion go and a comparison to the ROG ally and steam deck or others on the market. Especially with all of your testing equipment. Upgradability, how much storage can be added and overall performance. I’m looking into a handheld pc gaming device and can’t quite decide on which one yet. And I trust LTT reviews more than any others.

I'm sure I'm not the only one suggesting this but maybe a test for handheld docks and USB hubs given that now handhelds being popular? Recently planning to get one and JSAUX is a bit expensive here (cheapest listing was 35 and half bucks or 550K Rupiah), and then I came across brand called PGTech and they have one for 29 bucks here in Indonesia (450K Rupiah converted, and it's 29 bucks not 29.99) and advertise 3 USB3.0 ports with gigabit ethernet. Problem is, of course not everyone have a cable tester, so I do have my doubt whether the ethernet is actually gigabit and the USB port is actually running at USB3.0. Probably this would be another good use for that cable tester to be in a video again I guess

Edit: Would be even better if there's disassembly for what chip they use for the USB/ Ethernet controller as well

Would love to see a video reviewing all these "hidden camera detectors" people are promoting. You see a lot of videos on social media now of people "finding hidden cameras in their airbnb" or something similar and I know there are real products out there to find hidden cameras and other stuff but I can't imagine any of these that are being promoted on Instagram and TikTok are real. Could also be a good excuse to use the Unifi Protect AI Theta camera since I haven't seen that make an appearance on the channel yet either. 

Hey all, with the coverage of older standards and media formats recently, there's a few that have been around for ages and are still expanding that would be cool to see and learn more on. Tape storage and the LTO format would be a cool one. Currently LTO 7 is the standard, but LTO 8 is already planned and supposedly all of the LTO readers are supposed to be backwards compatible for at least 2 generations backwards.

Can you build on the work done in this video to further destroy audio gear myths? The amount of mics tested here is huge, the method is quite scientific and he even tested different diaphragms mechanical features...

I don't know if this is a LTT main channel video, I hope someone will move it if it belongs into another location.

I'd suggest that LTT reviews a password manager called PasswordPocket https://www.atlancube.com/pages/passwordpocket

I am one of the backers when the project was on Kickstarter. The idea behind it sounds amazing, an "unhackable" device where you store all your passwords, and it is small enough to fit on your keychain, and per button click it will connect to the requesting device and fill out the password. I was originally very into the idea, so much so that I bought 2 on Kickstarter, to have backup if I happen to lose one or something.

After the campaign, came a lot of complaints on the Kickstarter page about the quality (which I personally don't think is THAT bad, because it is supposed to be as small and as light as possible to not be a weight on the keychain), but I have concerns about their claims because it is supposed to be a "security device", and in their Privacy Policy they say that they "may" collect all sorts of data https://www.atlancube.com/policies/privacy-policy , and to make the situation worse, it requires that you share the location information of your phone once you install the app and attempt to pair the device with it.

It would be amazing if you could do an in depth review what sort of data they do collect, and potentially ask them why they claim to require that data?

1 hour ago, Kurtko said:

and to make the situation worse, it requires that you share the location information of your phone once you install the app and attempt to pair the device with it.

Can't comment about the rest but this is an Android thing, apps have no choice but to request location permission to be able to discover Bluetooth devices.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2