Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Here's a video that EVERYONE would be watching. I've searched everywhere online and there's no new tests (in the last 1-2 years, all these browsers changed greatly).

Compare Performance, Efficiency AND LIFE BATTERY of all major Browsers and both a new Intel and AMD Laptop (preferably latest Gen.) on Windows 11.

The test should include: Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, Firefox

All in Default Settings

All while: Watching Youtube, Watching netflix, Doing Online Meeting (I don't know which web-based clients are popular, I always use Jitsi Or Element Call), Doing normal Internet Surfing

Is it just me or is there no video on used laptops?

I got myself a ThinkPad X60 from ebay and an SSD for it for only 60 pounds and it runs pretty well with 32-bit OpenSUSE.

An interesting way to make more productive use of this is to use VNC with an Oracle cloud free instance, but even without that, it ran java and lite-xl (with JDTLS java language server for IDE functionality) pretty decently.

I know someone who bought a ThinkPad T430 for 45 pounds with a hard drive pre-installed and I put Mint (64-bit) on it and its honestly so surprising how well it runs, especially compared to the instant-e-waste you get with brand new budget laptops.

It is surprising to me that LTT hasn't made a video on this topic since I know a lot of people who simply cannot afford a brand new laptop, and this is a very easy way to prevent e-waste or get a hobby computer to just mess around on, on the cheap.

I just rewatched the Corolla GR video and I remembered the existence of 2electron, a startup that made some software that simulates the motor response of a variety of combustion engines along with audio and virtual gear changing. VIDEO HERE (Sorry it's in ialian but you can turn on cc)

I think it perfectly matches the electric car focus of LTT and the combustion engine passion that Alex and others have. 

I have no affiliations the startup, I just think that it is VERY cool and I would love to see your spin on it. 

Hi guys, subscriber from India, Linus tech has not done any videos related to cable management. If you guys, can make a video about cable management that would be great. I mean i always wondered how these custom pc builders manage to end up such neatly with cables in cabinet while we just push them in and close it

How about a GPU gaming PC?

As we all know, the new 4080 and 4090 cards are massive. You could maybe use power tools to make space inside the heatsink while only leaving the outer parts intact for aesthetic purposes. Mod mobile PC parts inside (like a NUC) and make a PC inside one of those huge GPUs.

It's been a pretty long time since the last video about 3d printing. What about FDM printer kits made straight for stupid fast speeds? (Voron, Vostok, etc.)

If ain't workin', break it and then call the tech support

Review (or even try building) computers system ideas based on images from an ai image generator.

Hello!

First post here and would love to see a review of a gaming laptop series that i haven't seen on LTT yet.
Namely the ASUS TUF series to be specific, with the AMD 7940HS APU and Geforce 4070 or 80 GPU.

My impression is a whole lot of computer power at good price.

I myself have an invested interest in this because I recently bought the 2023 variant of TUF A15 (FA507XI) and I believe it should get more attention because in spite of it being a laptop. I consider it very good for my use case which is gaming and Java programing.
The price was good and it is very comfortable to type on (the keyboard has no sway (yay!)) and feels like good quality.
To be clear, I do not need an ego boost to confirm that I made a good choice. I am curious though in regards to the question of quality.
is it as good as I think or should I simply sell it and pay 1000 usd more for a better one. 🤷‍♂️

There are of course some possible ASUS shenanigans that i cant wrap my head around such as Armory Crate and if it really is as necessary as ASUS claims it to be. Hell I´d settle for a good or ok to have installed verdict but i simply don't know who to ask.

Also the choice of panel is clearly not the best but again, good for my needs whilst programing.

The RAM is limited to DDR5-4800 which seems low for this APU and the max RAM installed is 32Gb (2x16GB) which seems oddly low.
Also max size of the SSD is 2TB (!?).

Would love to hear what your thoughts are on this!

If no vid will be made about this laptop series then I humbly ask if people in this community have any experience and could supply an answer to my concerns. 🙂

https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-gaming/tuf-gaming/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-2023/techspec/

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work! 🙂

//Danijel

I would love to see a comparison of the photo quality of compact cameras and modern phones (iPhone, Pixel etc). How much money do you need to spend in order to reach the same level of a phone camera? Does a 150$ compact camera reach the quality of an iPhone camera or is it even way better? 

Nobody gonna talk about how Shark Clean just nuked a bunch of their Robot Shark IQ Vacs?? then just sent an email saying "sorry, let us send you a new one! No charge!" seems a little funny to me! HAHA Funny 😂, not haha 😅 Funny. @LinusTech @LMGcommunity

am finally bought a new phone. My old phone was the pixel 2 bought in October 2017 for $750. I've had a screen protector and drop resistant case on it ever since. I had to replace the battery a few years ago but that has been all. The phone still works great. The only issue is the screen is mildly lifting ( I think the adhesive is just worn out) I'm upgrading 6 generations to the pixel 8 pro for almost double the price. I'd love it if you guys could compare it against the Pixel 8. Is it worth double the price? Will it last twice as long? Are all of us that are holding on to phones for 6+ years doing the right thing?

Hello @LinusTech

I have some different video idea that would be very interesting.

1. If it possible to do a followup regarding the HDR video for YouTube, did anything changed yet?
  2. In your older video's you show your video editing workflow, which formats you used to speedup the editing, gear, servers to process the end video's. It's been a while now we saw such a content and I imagine a lot has changed so I would love the have such a behind the scene video. I like then very much.
  3. And is it also possible to show how you make your video's? Setup, what you use for autoprompt, ect, just show how you now make the video.

Thank you in advance.

Timothy

If you all are looking for a new celebrity build, how about the YouTuber Oxhorn? He's pretty loved in the gaming space for his amazing lore videos. He just mentioned in today's Starfield live stream that he's running out of storage and is deleting older footage to delay the inevitable storage fail.

A home based LLM, no internet needed... 

Ok not sure if this has been suggested before and it may be big for even LTT to handle, so perhaps consider it a challenge. I would like to see a single system built by LLT that could run a LLM similar to Chat GPT 3.5. This would have all processing on board and to make sure you have the form factor that would be required, I suggest the twin tower computer with flat touch screen seen in Tron. Just a Linux based machine with the ability to ask question's via the terminal would be amazing. 

Seems Chat GPT states this would be needed, I'm sure you may have some of this lying around...

1. Processor (CPU):

• Dual high-end server-grade CPUs with multiple cores/threads, such as Intel Xeon Platinum 9282 or AMD EPYC 7763.
  2. Memory (RAM):

• Potentially multiple terabytes (TB) of ECC RAM. For instance, 1.5TB to 2TB of RAM could be needed.
  3. Storage:

• Multiple high-capacity NVMe SSDs, possibly totaling several terabytes in storage.
  4. Graphics Card (GPU) (Optional):

• A high-end data center GPU like the NVIDIA A100, which can be beneficial for accelerating certain computations.

Intel Arc on Linux? Is it good? Is it awful?

When Intel Arc was first announced it was advertised as having better performance on Vulkan and DirectX12, but less than great in older versions of DX.

Since Linux gaming runs translation layers to run everything in Vulkan, there were questions about whether or not Intel Arc would be an absurdly good deal for Linux gamers.

Did that turn out to be the case? Or is it just too clunky to be worth it?

My wife and I are each running a 970 and 1060 respectively, and are starting to see issues in the games we play at 1080p. We've been considering it for an upgrade, but the information on the internet seems sparse and very polarized.

I've got two suggestions for shows:

1. A review of CPU sockets over the years for both Intel and AMD. Maybe throw in some other oddball sockets.
  2. Roundup and review of headphones/earbuds that are also intended for hearing protection. There are many of these available like the 3M Worktunes, ISOtunes, the new Festool GHS 25, etc. Which ones offer the best sound and if possible test for db reductions for hearing protection on the jobsite.

I think I've come across something that no one has really done a video on ever. With the popularity of gaming laptops with discreet graphics which end up being extremely heavy and loud/overheating, I'd love to see what it would take to extract the core components and put them in a smallish desktop case, including improving the cooling (maybe even watercooling?). I have a Dell G7 7700 and it just sits plugged in all the time at this point, and I can't really find any examples of anyone trying to do this.

Thanks for all the great content!

Okay! So I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzycYp1UScc   It got me thinking... What about a teleprompter desk for gaming/streaming/content creation. You can stream with the camera being directly behind the monitor, read ads/chat without needing to look away at another prompter. you will always be facing the camera. Obviously it would be a little cumbersome however what kind of streaming equipment isn't?  My suggestion would be to make the desk "deeper" so you could fit the monitor into the desk and have it reflect off of the 2 way mirror and the camera would be behind it. 

Thoughts? :)

Has LTT stopped doing CPU reviews? I remember there wasn't one for the 13900KS, the 5600X3D only got a ShortCircuit, and no video on 14th gen Core yet. 

Are CPUs just not that interesting anymore? If so, why? Maybe do a video how previous Gen CPUs perform when using realistic settings (i.e. not a 4090 at 1080p)

2 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Has LTT stopped doing CPU reviews? I remember there wasn't one for the 13900KS, the 5600X3D only got a ShortCircuit, and no video on 14th gen Core yet. 

Are CPUs just not that interesting anymore? If so, why? Maybe do a video how previous Gen CPUs perform when using realistic settings (i.e. not a 4090 at 1080p)

They really aren't interesting. "Look at this graph. The old CPU has one tick less than the new CPU." later "Look at this other graph. Surprise, the old CPU is same as new CPU."

More fun to just include new CPU in live stream build.

What happens if the non-functional RGB-leds break in a product?
Will a motherboard refuse to boot if the led's in the flashy memorysticks break?
Will the flashy motherboard break?
Will a flashy GPU refuse to work?

In short, will broken glowsticks make your pc go limp?

Hell... will it stop working if the functional LED's break? (would be both sad and hilarious if broken diagnostic led's would stop a motherboard from posting)

ps: not an RGB-hater, just a darkness lover 😉

throughout the years LTT has developed some solid strategies and opinions about how to grow on YouTube and build a community, and i think it would still fit their niche to make a video or a series about tips to grow. so i think it would be cool if Linus can tell us how he thinks the YouTube algorithm works, how to keep retention and talk about the analytics and stuff. and i believe that it will appeal to the LTT audience i mean you guys have the streaming equipment videos and all that stuff and your audience watches it it's doing great. i would love to see that.