Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Don’t know if it’s been suggested already. But I would love to know the practical limits of thunderbolt 4. Personally I want to know if you can run a Valve Index over a thunderbolt 4 hub. So think of it like “Stealth VR setup part 2”. Or if the fiber usb hubs that Linus use would work instead. 

DYI Hardware based AI-Powered Searchable Video Archive?
- Video idea on taking an old machine, ie for server, and creating for the family.

Current option is using a cloud-based AI solution like Google Cloud Video Intelligence or Amazon Rekognition to construct an AI-powered searchable video archive. These services offer pre-trained AI models for analyzing and indexing movies for object detection, scene classification, and text detection.

To use a cloud-based AI service to create an AI-powered searchable video library, you must first upload your films to the AI provider's cloud storage service. After you've uploaded your movies, you'll need to send them to the AI service for analysis.

The AI service will then analyze your movies and provide a set of metadata for each video, including information about the items, scenes, and people in the video.

Potentially we may be able to process tags and pull into sever and locally host.
Issues might be using a consistent file format for your videos, transcribing your videos (for text searchable), organize your videos into folders, consistent naming convention.

credit for the idea, or reducing the cost and getting more challenging for LTT, a came across this google post
https://daleonai.com/building-an-ai-powered-searchable-video-archive

After the leak in the the home server rack for linus. I think LTT should design with Alex a "single point of failure" system for his rack. Where the system can at every rack level have a point of overflow of the water to a redirect system so as to not effect the rest of the racks

With the re release of SteamOS, how well wold it run on a full desktop or different mobile small form factor PCs such as ayaneo etc...

Hey. I just saw a youtube short about a projector that makes some bold claims. With the occasional projector content that you guys do this might be up your alley for maybe a projector edition of s*%# manufactures say. Looks like it is an XGIMI Horizon Ultra. If nothing else it might be interesting for the next projector video. 

here is the product link after a quick google search. 

https://us.xgimi.com/pages/horizon-ultra

Here is the link for the short. 

I have just see something from Microsoft about Project Silica where they have fitted 7TB onto a glass block. Never seen the technology and maybe you could expand and explain this new medium. 

the secret shoppers go from just using e-commerce to in-store experience, trying to buy a gaming computer from staff at like a Best Buy, or even a Staples, London drugs. Any of those places that people might just go to or grandparents might go to, to see the experience and see if they try and upsell for no reason.

Good evening, 

Regardless of whether or not this is interesting to the people reviewing this thread, it was interesting to me, and I feel it may be interesting to others in the thread, especially those who enjoyed the videos discussing LaserDisc and other older media. 

I like podcasts, like RadioLab, The Sporkful, etc. RadioLab did an episode called "Mixtape: Cassetternet" in their series called "How The Cassette Tape Helped Create the Internet". Essentially it's about about how Simon Goodwin used radio to transmit data in what sounds very similar to dial-up tones, where people could record the beeps transmitted onto cassettes, pop it into a computer, like the RCA COSMAC which used Cassettes for data storage, and find the recorded data was a program or file, essentially creating a Cassette Internet, or Cassetternet.

Not much is actually online about this, or not much that I could find, I believe Goodwin is the author of "Beep to Boom", but despite it not being huge it's incredibly interesting. Imagine your local radio station transmits a series of 0's and 1's for you to record onto a cassette, you pop it into your computer, and boom you've got "DOOM Eternal". (Figuratively).  

Even if this doesn't make it very far, it's at least worth a listen, as it's VERY interesting. 

With the announcement of the 7995WX, you guys should revisit X gamers, 1 CPU and see just how many gaming rigs you could run off it at once

There’s no such thing as a fully automatic Ethernet cable “making” machine.  I’m talking about a pre-made, in a bag, 6ft or something, ready to use, Ethernet cable that you would find for sale at a store. There’s always humans either arranging the wires in the rj45, pushing the rj45 in a machine, or cutting the wires. I’m not sure why this is true other than making an Ethernet cable is complicated, which would logically make it prime for being taken over by machines. But it isn’t. 

I’d like to see a video proving me wrong.

After watching the first two parts of the Secret Shopper videos, I would love to see a video where you "Buy" parts from a different country.

You wouldn't have to buy the parts, but make a list and see the differences in cost.

If you wanted to, you could get a few people involved and randomly pick a country and battle to see who has the best/cheapest computer.

More networking & server updates! Love that content 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

Like the Dell XPS or Sceptre, North Americans have been piqued by this chinese laptop for its striking looks and luxury. And after its ban, people have been looking for ways to import them, even used models! Seeing that no popular youtuber has ever done a professional review into these laptops, LTT should do one. They have imported many laptops including some hyundai laptop and see if its really worth our time. If you assume that they are ripoff macbooks, their newer design has come a long way and has evolved into its own incarnation.

Cheers

Well, the only issue I would see here is that
well like you said.
We cant get them. So a review, outside of novelty sake, is pointless

MMMMM Spyware 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

An LTT Labs video comparing the battery life of different configurations of Framework Laptops:
For Example - M.2 Drive Capacity, Amount for RAM, 8,16,32,64GB, Different expansion modules, Different Motherboards, etc.

Specifically the Ram I think would be very interesting. (Definitely not suggesting this because I need more RAM but am scared about battery life because mine is not great as is. Considering 32->64 GB)

Anyone ever watercooled a keyboard and mouse?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

Anyone ever watercooled a keyboard and mouse?

If linus will Watercool a keyboard or a mouse then I will also like him to try custom building a watercooled monitor, maybe all in one video or separate videos.

I know there's a video already a video from 2016 with the Origin Omni (All in One computer in a monitor which is also watercooled), but it was origin's concept, so making a watercooled monitor probably isn't a great idea but at least it will be cold.

Using Liquid nitrogen to cryogenically treat the metals in a CPU (NOT FOR COOLING, JUST A ONCE OFF TREATMENT). It can apparently increase thermal and electrical conductivity in metals, so why not for the metals inside a CPU? It could maybe give more headroom for something like undervolting or maybe even overclocking. Could it make a difference in the temprature? Will it make a difference or is it risky, (edit:) can it be done from home? May work best with a soldered CPU dye I'm guessing. Really curious about it. Thanks 

Ps. more info: 
Got the idea fromhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAxi5YXTjEk

Got conformation of the idea from: https://watermark.silverchair.com/133_1_online.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAABW8wggVrBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggVcMIIFWAIBADCCBVEGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMdibOqQQLf6IvtDRpAgEQgIIFIhnjMXkgJUMsxzifSrGHZzb4-7LijYAl1dLKcAOaGFts7awyq_OSKZ_DBX99qD1_zFhaazdspf8TUWGJDd8-axx4yTZ-vRTnP3qwCNtGe-FfsCdeY6RgdDScSAibdCAZZ3q65uchr-4hL8xnzMhZHApnHlGBojFCBh69--K0P8u_xEFTt9lbhBenGBy2bW6Z2O46dgf6ur2_-_iZcBzLlcQ1nU-4v0NfXKxJOlea2k52eK60nUoQJFXA1dS-kNoRU_eT37d-uIWY0iYwnF6188tvDf896q6qDvxt1PTLb4fu-Z9kKipMwOv3RopSkv-JsBd7m0D-itmL9FPTx03mzbj5DhXoP3_JEgtuYd-rVm0v_RyHKHHKLPs72o1HyldrB6l_36ZwOXN5voPckGvSsdQvkSOxTuUOkqH7riKZG63PFeJGCl257o4Af9VdVHVZ5Q5kaIsCi30v_z4bIibIPX8oyO8Q7GTAlfJFjPAL-t_q9gO4tj2orPA5WUqT2dQRs5HZ5S7GGlJCnC18UgS7Cchi2oIZFJ1h3T5zzVIspwvwfY6hoO3GVcLNK_17THQF68S-Ebcyy0ofHAh7pAqAu5MwGOg0YqrCgQJNLRnu5RI53sf2m5Va4nbthNMzdxTvbryMvluKisJocxjoyH3_gfxeyhljK83jx1e1Z2gCcRfN64gCqyDK_x7KUoo8G4a-TR3CQbM26Rc18DCTlzumiXOILW8-FIEMqrSHo56LiA_-LAIH5TVx0N_ewdREU1VxnOO2d-6hED-G29fOMQoH1a-K3Kh-hi8uESyOi6PvezdhlevyulUBg4zKUVezJBpRxms2FDhgw-xAr4-S2xLQ3IpoU5NpuW8EEzgL4kEQoMDHko5rCUQxzsLmVlOef_9_SGf-mXf2QT-N1h2QYmJqXJvXhkoxr82dotuLWMedopmSL68pIuFBy1HuoGQN-jZyYbK2Y8_E7yiT8d0XLmt88S5t80xi_cs3sTYHf-qEN64hGigJjqMSjyWIlv-PefIpD8rwoj77gPsxE2ObQZDKMvPYmoK13y_IEuXxNcMQi-4jrOJToeTGEA6j1HWJvJ_NwrtcYumNxvPFVg06rHkoag8rwhCMgKbGU_E-Nlvx5teFyuarSbaAV0tsrGSkPoOnoS8bspa3BE4mRxP1mqB2MmhE5gZQf8tT7DZgB_ZEXjHwRhkjmg949Zdgk2qiaPK5XtqxmxB4nTs3a0T8kEKOvPyPndrELZXTohTDiz5Mo-x0eOsNiFE_IwOSRkfFPyltIKjThnNhRU4kaHIvfONxCMuNLmWvqN-doT5ktPW-SPtDu6advfGvp6cOssNJeJpSF8dbAiJogc5DnxKH6CPaWan43tiQdCrclOn-6rMUYid8dwQeJHlA79kJecMZ1upK01qMgEO6ZcgchCHWH8XNTHn_VSYLBlxUpndtz4uhLsjZB49UCWzxu5FIin1QVDPSxS6jJd5VeXhZDq5EuVsPId_ieK8xCrSPikaLOMIzN6i2plGcFclZ_6ko2KXpOr8daXaL7vBfceGrubGnci9yl1y1Wu4D1eHZlHVLJ0qi4y6fTX13HaFFGFqRnIZ-Vo93gAvguyE-sacgmH1Zh_OG4qr088FlXkhmJEKDlKejlrKnF8eGyxE3ddx0M4ljDnPb6S5San9X51AUPQrrR_BXhhyN_-kTh8GfmpG-AYUIlV4D1yHz5zaeJO4ldMWtvgc9OdIZ0oDvdR3AFaLuZiwe3YU4Mw

Hi all,

I've recently found out why the audio in my games always seems so skewed - I'm losing hearing in my left ear! My left ear is operating at about 50% efficiency when compared to my right, and it seems to be declining. Now I know why I can never get a proper bead on those footsteps!

I've been looking around for some ways to solve this particular problem, thought you might make a decent video and review some products to help me, and plenty of others I'm sure.

1. Software to boost the audio in one ear so that I could fine tune what I'd need to have equal sound in each ear. 

Or.

2. Bone conduction headphones. Bypass the eardrum completely and go with bone conduction. Problem is, I have zero experience with these headphones, they seem to be mostly geared towards sports like running, so that you can be more away of your surroundings. Would they even work for gaming? And would they be good enough for fast paced competitive gaming?

It has to be said, I'm on a budget here, I can't be spending several hundred on this! I currently use Logitech G Pro Xs and thought they were pretty decent for the £100 I paid for them.

I sincerely hope to hear/see a video on this. It'll help me out loads.

Thanks

Alex

All they would be doing is importing tech almost no one would use and Huawei is pretty much owned by the ccp and will be full of spyware and back doors.

Same goes for their phones and the brand Oppo is the same although I have seen LTT videos on oppo although some places sell them still.