Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

As far as I can tell they missed my merch message suggesting this:

I for one think Luke's discussion of the monumental steps in AI/ML/GPT right now need more time, not less. I would seriously subscribe to floatplane just to watch a podcast style show with Luke and maybe guests talking about what's going on, and keep that discussion going after the point where Linus always wants to move on. I think everyone watching the WAN show is at least half a step ahead on this subject just from Luke's attention to it, and I'd love to see more of this, because both Ls are doing a great job of monitoring it and talking about it in interesting and important ways.

would you guys ever review business phones for example HiHi 3 or Yealinks or even Avaya phones, pointing business in the best direction for usability and work from home functionality.

got told to drop a line here from a merch message.

There is a more cost friendly option to computer cooling that would compare to "the god of computer coolers". for about $1000 you can buy a 15scfm air dryer, plug the drain port and run coolant through it instead of air with an external pump and reservoir. Using a heat ex changer the dryer is designed to bring the dew point to 1 degree, which is on par with the very expensive one you showed in a recent video. Although still expensive, with an external pump and reservoir you could get comparable results for pennies on the dollar in comparison, and a lot less janky than the customized air conditioners.

For improved cooling you could run another line through a radiator with the coolant and run the fans so that air is being cooled by the rads and blowing into the computer casing, and also have lines running to the cooling blocks, all while having the "dryer" cooling the system externally.

airdry.jpg

Have you considered making a video that explains some common tech/computer related terms you often hear but might not fully understand? For instance I often hear terms like CPU die, core, thread, etc.

While I could certainly skim through a Wikipedia article, I find those are usually far too detailed and elaborate to be of much use to a smooth-brain like myself.

You could make it into a miniseries where you sort of provide some mid-level knowledge about pc components to plebeians like my humble self, i.e not exactly Dora-the-explorer-"this is a GPU, can you say GPU?"-type basics, but then again not some ridiculously convoluted, in-depth explanation that takes a month's worth of added reading and researching to grasp.

It's Little League but Esports Edition:

https://www.xpleague.com/

Just saw this on my news feed. Seen a few things about it, what are you guys thoughts on this? Especially with most of us having kids and such. Maybe something that would be a good idea for parents of tech, children of gamers, etc?

has there been an attempt to cool a CPU with peltier modules they can heat and cool I know they can stack for more of an affect I think it would make for a fun video if not attempted before.

11 minutes ago, orpheus said:

has there been an attempt to cool a CPU with peltier modules they can heat and cool I know they can stack for more of an affect I think it would make for a fun video if not attempted before.

Plenty of times, search the channel.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'd like to see you folks getting the OG Linus himself for a video.

Linus Torvalds, that is. 

So many meming opportunities with two Linuses, and so much in-depth content or more interviewy stuff you could do with him. Even possibly just as completely uncensored wan-show stream special guest.

I had an idea for an investigative video.

Namely, identifying a root cause for a seemingly widespread issue.

The issue is. CSGO seems to have some issues with RX6000 series cards and map loading times.

I experience the issue myself. Looking at previous troubleshooting steps, none of the following have worked.

BIOS Options, enable "Above 4G Decoding" and "SAM", fresh windows installs, DDU + Fresh driver installs.

Various CSGO Launch options. This seems to be an issue that has been ongoing since 2019. So I'm assuming this is also happening with AMD Cards older than RX6000 series.

I've found various posts around the internet going back as far as 2019, and I've submitted bug reports myself.

However, I feel like if LTT made a video, perhaps AMD would properly investigate the source of the issue.

However, it may all be a moo point with CS2 soon "Claims" to release.

Some Sources:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/amd-csgo-loading-bug-on-current-graphics-hardware-drivers/m-p/473670/page/3

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6600-xt-1-minute-long-load-times-in-csgo/m-p/516361
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/nsz9mk/rx_6700xt_1_minute_loading_times/
https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/amd-csgo-loading-bug-on-current-graphics-hardware-drivers/m-p/474323/highlight/false#M76684
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/3183486787561600534/

Hey, Linus/LTT employees I love the content you guys have been putting out over the last few years and I was wondering if you have thought about doing a video on the best in ear monitors (preferably reasonably priced ones) I am just wondering because I play escape from tarkov and I would like to hear what's around me better without making myself partially deaf. If you could possibly let me know if video idea could possibly be made it would be very much apricated.

I'm interested in Floatplane, however Floatplane's website doesn't do a great job of advertising what makes it stand out. Linus and Luke talk about Floatplane a lot on The WAN Show, but there's no marketing around to show why it's a powerful alternative to YouTube. I would love to see a feature tour, or a deep dive of the site and player.

If something like that was made, I'm sure Floatplane would see a small surge in its userbase, too.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

A deep dive into “decentralised private networks (DPN)”

Is it just snake oil like some of those audiophile products?

How do they work?

Can I build a better alternative myself?

Link to one I found:

https://shop.deeper.network

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Linus has been using active optical cables for his home setup, however the Icron docks are all crazy expensive or are limited to USB 1.1 or 2. There is a large selection of...questionable manufacturers that make better priced AOC USB cables. Until Eaton/Tripp Lite started selling AOC USB cables. There are a few that support only a single usb protocol, but I just bought a U428F-15M-D321 from Amazon and it supports USB 3/2/1 at 15 meters. I'm using it with a startech 4 port USB 3 10gps hub and I can get 4k@30fps from a Logitech Brio 4k webcam while using my mouse, keyboard, and wireless usb headset.

Also Cable Matters released a certified HDMI 2.1 cable, 300047-BLK-15M. I also purchased that and used the HDMI certification app to verify the certification.

This combination costs $300 USD (USB-$150 + HDMI-$130), and is a much better value than a Icron USB 3-2-1 Raven($1100 to $1300 USD + multi mode fiber costs) for the more average user.

usb_hub-AOC.jpg

brio_4k-AOC.JPG

VRR_windows10-hdmi.jpg

LG_C1-hdmi.jpg

There’s a guy who’s truly revolutionizing the controller business, he even mention in his channel that he needs help in engineering and manufacturing. Honestly with the passion and talent you guys had when you made the screwdriver you can truly change the controller scene with him. Or a video can promote his controller to someone who can help. Please watch this video and give this guy a chance “ https://youtube.com/watch?v=kerK52IRGjs&feature=share”
If you guys have a strict policy about opening links, his channel name is Tech Yesterday and the video I’m talking about his Mouse Pro V5 Controller.
Thank you 

Would love to see LTT cover the Batocera Linux project. It's basically a linux distro made specifically for retro game emulation. Like retropie, but this runs *so well* on small several generations old Intel NUCs and so much better than retropi. And they *just* ported to Steamdeck.

I have installed it on a GigaByte BSi7-HT6500-Rev10 that I bought used for around 130 USD (I did a geekbench of the machine: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20872739).

Anthony could be a good candidate for a video about this. Basically a video that focuses much more on the "Reuse" part of Repair, Reuse, Recyle because a lot of these NUCs (and even weaker specced ones that can still do well at this) are *so cheap* now. They blow RetroPis out of the water and why wouldn't they? Pis were never made for that sort of load.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, SinusSebastian said:

I have a pair of the AKG N90Q headphones, and I think their price, their massive dump discount, and the technology within them would make for interesting content and could be good practice for the lab. I would be willing to ship!

I just looked over that page...  $1500 for headphones... that still use a micro USB connection for charging. What...thee...FU$%?! 🤨

I found some interesting ideas for the new videos for LTT. There's a brand new laptop launch that shock Indonesia tech gaming world. The laptop is called Axioo Pongo 3/5/7. It's basically a laptop with RTX 3070 and i3 10100/i5 11400/i7 11700 with a 144hz display and 95%SRGB. The crazy part is that it's only cost 950 to 980 USD. It can compares to the new ASUS Strix and Lenovo Legion which is a top tier laptop. Pretty sure the company does give a test product for reviewer because a lot of Indonesian tech reviewer gets some. Would be happy if you guys reviewed, thanks

I'd like to see a deep dive into CPU benchmarks for MMOs. My recent experience between Ryzen 3000, to a 5800x3D then to 7950x3D showed a disproportionate gain in perform for the MMOs I play, which seem to be CPU bottlenecked regardless of resolution.

A suite of benchmarks that are close enough to accurate for various CPUs with an RTX 4090 at 4K would be nice. A test idea would be WoW, in a few of the major cities, basically just logging FPS.

This thread I made to discuss some of these and hopefully get more data from other users who might've had the same upgrade cycle and experience with the MMOs they play.

In my opinion, the whole situation has been widely ignored by major outlets simply due to the complexity of it, something that I think LTT can handle. Intel 13th gen and 3D v-cache being the biggest points of concern, since the amount of cache those CPUs have had increased immensely, the jump in cache from 12th to 13th gen being 1.5x. Could even then test the biggest results with an RX 6700 XT or lower to see how much of a difference a better GPU and/or CPU would make to someone who mostly just plays MMOs.

The whole premise for the video could be, "if you mostly play MMOs, what's a better upgrade for your system, the CPU or GPU? With the latest generation GPU market being so terrible, do you really need a 4090 to play those games at 4K or just a better CPU?"

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

In a recent video on PSVR2, the Meta/Oculus Rift S was brought up as an affordable VR option on PC. However, recent firmware updates render the Rift S bricked and Meta's solution is to submit a warranty claim for a replacement. This would be great but most if not all Rift S units are no longer under warranty. I assume this was intentional to force an upgrade.

There's supposedly a way to rollback firmware and lock Oculus out of the internet but I've had no luck getting it to work. If there was a video on how to do a firmware rollback successfully the Rift S would be a great recommendation for an affordable secondhand VR headset otherwise it's an expensive paperweight...

Hi! Since Linus is running a Galaxy Z Fold now - perhaps a one day (week?) with Samsung DeX work? I've been using mine for my 32" monitor and a Microsoft Universal Foldable keyboard from time to time and so far I've been loving it (the only downside is my dock station has HDMI 1.4 so I'm stuck with 60Hz, but if You could run it in 120Hz - that would be super clean and useful mobile office / coworking space setup video)

f6.webp

Linus talked about wanting to do a collab with DIYPerks but not knowing what that would look like since his channel is mostly focused on long term projects. A potential idea is a DIY-off, maybe something like the old show Junk Yard Wars. Basically both sides would agree on a theme and have a certain about of time to build something related to that theme. Once done, you meet up with your builds and compete in a series of challenges. Optional constraints could be only using materials found in places like thrift shops and recycling centers. 

Bard? More ai. I joined the wait-list. I wonder if you can get the ai to battle each other? Like an ai smackdown and see which one wins. 

Screenshot_20230321-153811.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

One video I would enjoy seeing is scrapyard wars unconventional case edition. Have individuals or groups buy something from craigslist or facebook markeplace that was never meant to act as a PC case and mod it to fit a PC. There could be rules like it has to be under a certain price, has to have a dust filter, size constraints, and/or enclosed vs open. Another thing that I would have liked to see as a video is taking the cooling unit used for cooling a robot welding torch and hooking that up to a CPU, then yall came out with the laser cooler videos.