Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I don't know if this has been thought of already, but it occurred to me that, when reviewing audio quality on laptops, etc, it might be really cool/useful to have LTT Labs actually measure the frequency response of the speakers as well as sharing the more subjective experience of the reviewer.  I'd love to see a frequency response graph, especially when comparing between different devices.

Suggestion for a video for how to keep your gaming room cool, as in not warm.

With you ( Linus ) building your new home this could be something you’re going to be doing. I would love to see some tips or anything else besides put in AC unit to prepare for the summer to be able to not only keep the rig cool but the room as well ( i’d rather not spend upcoming summer gaming with a fan aimed at my mouse and keyboard.

10G Laser Networking, over the air !!

https://www.transcelestial.com/

Notice you all exploring building to building networking in recent WAN show. And thought this would be cool.

Have no idea how real the 10G speed is (never used them), but thought it would be cool video idea with lasers *pew*

maybe for TechLinked

do a brief explanation why Video Cards with HDMI output do not allow to use the said HDMI port to output to a sound device only (like a soundbar), and why an audio extractor device is needed instead 

53 minutes ago, Sure Not said:

do a brief explanation why Video Cards with HDMI output do not allow to use the said HDMI port to output to a sound device only (like a soundbar), and why an audio extractor device is needed instead 

No reason other than not being in spec and manufacturers not considering that usecase. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No reason other than not being in spec and manufacturers not considering that usecase. 

it seems like it would be relatively trivial to use software to use the same hdmi port to detect an audio only component connected into it, and to allow to output to it just the audio. instead of forcing the user to buy a powered dongle that will require to convert a full use HDMI, to an audio only HDMI that would go to a sound bar.

As far as no usecase, there are a lot of forum topics through out the web on various MFG support sites asking how can they utilize their otherwise unused motherboard, or GPU hdmi port(s) to out put to a soundbar. 

considering recent topics such as what happened to huge satellite dishes, why isn't usb wireless, difference between ssd and ram etc. all of which are relatively quick topics but delve into behind the scenes as to how/why, i thought this would be similar enough to cover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Sure Not said:

it seems like it would be relatively trivial to use software to use the same hdmi port to detect an audio only component connected into it, and to allow to output to it just the audio.

Technically probably, or maybe not. Audio is part of the HDMI stream, and normally that HDMI stream is formatted according to what the display says it's capable of accepting. If there's no display you might need the user to manually find and select something that works, which isn't very user-friendly.

1 hour ago, Sure Not said:

As far as no usecase, there are a lot of forum topics through out the web on various MFG support sites asking how can they utilize their otherwise unused motherboard, or GPU hdmi port(s) to out put to a soundbar. 

Yeah I didn't say there was no usercase, just that manufacturers don't seem to think it's worth their effort. 

I doubt you could drag that more than a minute of video, basically it's not part of the spec, and nobody cares enough to either try and implement a potentially kludgy workaround or... add it to the spec.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Has LTT ever done a video that tests to see if using your cell phones display/brightness configured for 'dark' mode consumes less battery than using 'light' mode?

The difference might end up being trivial or vary greatly by device, but I thought it would an interesting test and subject for a video. 

4 minutes ago, Jsos16 said:

The difference might end up being trivial or vary greatly by device, but I thought it would an interesting test and subject for a video. 

Yup, the difference would probably depend on every single model. So there probably would be nothing to conclude, other than that the test might offer additional content to the channel...

I edit my posts more often than not

37 minutes ago, Jsos16 said:

Has LTT ever done a video that tests to see if using your cell phones display/brightness configured for 'dark' mode consumes less battery than using 'light' mode?

OLED displays: Yes, dark mode draws less

LCD displays: No difference

F@H

GPD Win 2

@LinusTechGiven the recent drop in the inflated costs of Graphics cards and a hopeful “return to normal”, could you do a Q1 2022 best gaming for the buck build where you target the best gaming hardware from a cost to value perspective that can not only have you gaming in 1440p to 4K today, but at least for a few years to come. I think it’s the right time. 

Hello,

I am a Huge MacOS & Linux Ubuntu enthusiast and have built a 2006 Mac Pro into a 8.7 TB JellyFin Media Server. I would like to see Anthony who is a Linux Master build a linux jellyfin server using XUbuntu Linux and cloudron.io server software.

I did it using a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006

4gb Ram

1 500 gb Boot, Linux, Cloudron.io software and snapshots drive

1 250 gb for films/movies

1 4tb for TV Shows

1 4tb for both TV Shows and films/movies

Nvidia GT218 GEForce 210 video card for hardware acceleration

It Came with a CD/DVD Dual Layer Burner but I only use that to import my content from my old DVDs

Cloudron.io server software so I could install JellyFin which required a domain ex myhomeserver.xyz

Cloudflare Security with https (Free Tier)

SSH so I can use cyberduck to sftp into the server and add content (also ssh from my MacBook Air to do updates)

The Computer Cost Me 75.00 my boss gave me an old monitor and keyboard (came with Mac Keyboard but linux was not able to use it) and the small hard drives (205,500 GB) I had lying around from a job and two 4TB HD from Tiger Direct for about 200.00 each.

I wonder if Anthony could build one better.

A recent life-altering event has me thinking about estate planning. With an ever-increasing amount of our lives existing only in the digital realm, what's a simple no-nonsense, reliable way to bequeath it to our loved ones? What if they're technophobes?

It's a deep and wide rabbit hole:

• password managers
  • getting around 2FA
  • social media accounts
  • document vaults
  • dead man switches
  • reliability of those service providers

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Hey, could you make a new video about the best cheap monitor in 2022 in each price bracket? Thank you!

Saw the CRTs in some of the recent vids and thought I'd chime in. I personally have a Sony PVM-14L5 and PVM 20-L5 that can both do up to 1080i, I'd love to lend one or both out as a CRT vs LCD vs OLED comparison video or some scaling old games vid like OSSC/RT5x vs CRT vs TV's built in scaler.

I live in the Metro Van area so no shipping would be required, drop it off for X amount of time, and then pick 'em up when the vid's done.

Also have adapters like VGA to RGBS, game consoles with RGB mods and cables, RetroTink 5x, etc.

Love ya guys' work and am looking forward to LTX 2023 (hopefully)

I've been unable to find a video on how to get the steam deck to play netflix offline, all that I could find are basically the web version with a stripped down browser that is made to look like it's the netflix app but it's just the web version.

So the video idea would be amazing things you can do with the steam deck.

Integrating netflix into the "big picture" mode of the deck.

How to get the most out of the steam deck for the daily usage.

Ultra portable steam deck setup with an USB-C display and small but good power bank wireless peripherals and all of that would barely take any space in the new and shiny backpack from lttstore.com.

It might not be enough for a ltt video but hopefully it will suffice for something like a teckquickie video or two

LTT Battlebots collab? There are a number of Canada based teams such as Lucky which would be relatively easy to meet with and combat robotics would likely do well on the channel

[R9 3900x, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080 Super]

Techquickie idea

Recently I've been wondering why HDD performance hasn't improved over time?
We've gone from 2TB to a whopping 20TB drives. Assuming that both drives run at 7200rpm the data on a 20TB would have to be more densely packed (I know, more platters and we'll ignore SMR drives) and therefore if the data is more dense and the RPM is the same, surely it should be reading and writing faster?
Yet the only drive that's able to saturate a SATA3 interface is an SSD
I mean sure, HDD's do, but only for the size of their cache.
So why hasn't HDD performance improved?

Yo LMG At some point, then Linus has time. It would be cool get a "long term" review of his desk pc v2. And maybe what he wanted to change for a v3, if any??

A competition between teams to see who can complete tasks on a desktop computer (or can be in a game) powered by an empty battery PSU. The battery has to be charged and maintain power by only a cyclist (or team of cyclists) on a bicycle connected to a generator. if a team looses power. they are disqualified. Teams can switch out positions between resting, doing tasks on the computer and cranking the generator.

This would be a good way to visualize how much human effort it takes to generate a couple hundred watts of power.

possible variables: Teams can select what computer they want to complete the tasks in. In theory, faster computers would take more power but do tasks faster.

Edited by Lewi Shamilton
completing my thought.