Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi LTT, If you want to do a follow up to the A100, I have a A6000 I can lend you.  Cheers.

Hi,

i posted a question about cfExpess and m.2 in the photos section, and found some very interesting things:

The question was, if it is possible to adapt a m.2 SSDs to a cfExpess slot on a camera (Sony a7iv). Both are using PCIe so why shouldn't it work?

There are some products to claim it would be possible and as far as i can tell in theory they shuld work. BUT someone needs to test this (i'm not willing to spend 30-150€ on such a questionable hardware). It also seems like those adapters should work with the Xbox.

The Questions to answer are:

1. Does it work in general? (if so, why or why not)

2. If it's working, does it run stable enouth to be a reliable and cheap alternative to cfExpress cards? (imagine a 1tb cfexpress type A card for ~300€)

3. If it's working, what devieces are compatible? (Cameras: Sony, Canon, Nikon... / adapters / SSDs: Crusial, WD, Samsung... / Xbox? / any other cfExpress device)

4. Are there software limitations in the camera(s)?

5. Could somone build/ design a vertiacl grip (for a camera) to intigrate such technology. (If those adapters work, i defnetly would design (CAD) and 3D-print one myself)

I found those products on Aliexpress, but it apeares the aslo are sold elsewhere:

serach for "ESXS CFexpress To SSD M.2"

https://de.aliexpress.com/af/ESXS-CFexpress-To-SSD-M.2.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=ESXS+CFexpress+To+SSD+M.2&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20220226040219

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124807813572?hash=item1d0f2019c4:g:4s8AAOSwj~phRVRK

DPreview also looked at a similar product.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8463648292/make-your-own-cfexpress-type-b-cards-with-this-nvme-ssd-to-cfexpress-type-b-adapter

Sadly i did not find any realiable source if those adapters [expacialy the Type A with a flexible wire (1.link)] are working.

Obviersly you guys can't answer to all ot the ideas (or even create video content), but if you have any knowledge or did some tests, i realy would appreciate if you could let me know.

System:   i7-12700kf --- rx 6800 --- z690 WiFi --- DDR5 2x16gb --- 2x NVMe m.2 1TB --- 650W PSU --- 4000D Airflow --- NH-U14S --- 27" QHD + 34" UWQHD

Camera:  Sony a 7iv + a7 + a6000[astro] ------- 70-200 f4   +   28-70 f2.8   +   35 f1.4   +   105f 2.8   +   150-600 f5-6.3

Pre-built Reviews

It would be great to see some reviews / teardowns of more pre-built systems. Secret shopper showed us some good context of what to look for, but with the price of components more people are going pre-built these days.

It was interesting to see the teams evaluation on cooling and things like that that the average consumer would overlook.

I'd like to see a Short Circuit on the Pinephone Pro, but it would make sense to wait a few months as the software is very early, so it's currently not very usable. I ordered one, but I think after the ho-hum performance of the original Pinephone, it would be interesting to see how the Pinephone Pro's beefier hardware compares. Again, probably give it a while before talking about it due to the very early nature of the current software.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Hi LTT, 

I would like to see your version of the ultimate wireless setup you can do, without having to have docks or cables for charging etc.

I'm currently in the process of doing this myself.

So far I'm using

Logitech G915 With a Qi receiver stuck to the bottom of the keyboard and the qi charger hidden inside the desk.

Steelseries Arctis pro wireless (has an exchangeable battery pack that charges in a draw
Grommet hole thing with 3 usb-A 1x usb-C ports

Samsung G7 With Ergotron HX monitor arm (ideally I would have this wall mounted with cables etc going in the wall into a cupboard but alas $$)

And my mouse was the big one, Logitech G903, with a powerplay mat nicely hidden inside my desk.

Wondering what you would do?

Replacing the Asus Zephyrus G15 screen with the new 16:10 WQHD M16 screen.

I ordered an Asus Zephyrus M16 recently mainly because of the screen and overall look. But as you know it comes with the Intel + Nvidia combo. But to be honest, I would prefer the AMD + Nvidia combo, but the 16:10 WQHD screen was higher on priority. Just from curiosity I googled for it and found this Reddit post from user u/Mission_Ad_6695. So it seems possible. I probably never gonna build it myself but it seems like a good idea for an LTT video.

The result (Source: the same Reddit post linked earlier):

Spoiler

owkzcdicw5d81.jpg?width=2160&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=114b02266cc8e9c1294af568640107ca3d2dc06c

If by any chance this project will be considered and done. I would like to buy it if possible 😉

Hey, can you post a tech quickie about the differences between business and consumer laptop? 
Are there reasons to prefer a business over consumer laptop?

I have a truly ancient laptop, it's an Amstrad PCC6400, I think it was made around 1988 so it's nearly as old as Linus himself. I've struggled to find much info for it on the internet, the closest I've found is this... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwij5vnpnqD2AhWPUMAKHdquCdAQFnoECAQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Facpc.me%2FACME%2FAMSTRAD_PRO%2FAMSTRAD_PC%2FDOCS_TECHNIQUES%2FSERVICE_MANUALS%2FPPC512_PPC640_Technical_Reference_Manual_SOFT50031[ENG].pdf&usg=AOvVaw2UcN-ROBm5W7MkjK863CO2

It doesn't have the power supply but it takes batteries and it does boot up.

I live in the UK but would be happy to send it to LMG if they wanted to use it for doing a video like making a sleeper or if you have better ideas I'm open to them.

Hi team,

Video idea I think Linus will like because he's all about keeping parts out of landfills, and as a bonus, you get to buy some funky adapters.

I have a bang-for-your-buck gaming PC I built about 5 years ago. I've been waiting to find a 3080 to do a whole new build, but since that isn't happening, I wondered... can I upgrade this one to the max and make it rock?

In my case it's a Z68X mobo, 2500K processor, 8gb ram, and a Gigabyte board with a lot of "future-proof" features like eSATA, Firewire, etc.

First, I doubled the memory to 16GB. (With DDR3 2133, it's dirt cheap.) Then I upgraded the CPU to the fastest the socket can handle: a 3770K. Not an important upgrade at the time, but Ivy Bridge adds PCIE 3.0, which basically doubles the lanes. Now I can use 1 lane to add a card with USB C ports (which I use for VR), 4 to add an NVME drive using a PCIE adapter, and my graphics card still has its 8x.

This part is less important but honestly it's nice to have the latest OS, even if it is Windows 11. The last update my mobo manufacturer posted happened to be 1st gen UEFI. The board also happens to have a TPM port, so I found a no-name TPM 1.2 chip on eBay. Technically there's still a CPU check you have to bypass with a few clicks, but Windows 11 now installs no problem.

I also bought a $10 programmable RGB strip, cuz RGB, connected it to an internal USB header, and ditched my Blu Ray burner in favor of the smallest, sveltest black ATX case I could find.

This build now supports the latest video cards, including direct storage, boots in seconds, games like a champ and looks cool as hell. I play last-gen games in 4k on the regular, and the whole upgrade cost me around $300.

- justin

VR Force feedback

TLDR: a glove that allows you to feel objects in vr.

Recently I saw someone make a force feedback glove for $60 ($30 for each hand) but there are some very expensive high end options aswell. I feel like this could be a very cool video.

The way the glove worked was each finger would have a cable attached and a mechanism would allow fingers to grip to a certain point. When all fingers are combined this gives the illusion that your holding an object. The mechanism can adjust the length your fingers can extend so that different objects of different sizes could be felt.

This is for the mac address team, but using tools like opencore patcher to upgrade unsupported Macs to Monterey.

Hi @CPotterwould love to see you guys cover fiber data tapping - we can even send you our kit 

Check out from 1:40 onwards...... 

Ultimate Intergrated Graphics and CPU performance Settings (Step by Step) (Applies to Laptops and Desktops that dont have GPUs)

if you have a cpu with intergrated here some ways to make it more powerful.(MAKE SURE YOUR PLUGGED IN, it turbos your cpu to higher clock speeds. aka better performance.)

step 1. intstall notepadfancontrol and set the fan speed to 100% (some laptops may not be supported)

step 2. install Intel extreme tuning utility and set the max wattage boost to unlimited and the duration to the highest. (most likely it will say system unsupported but if you search up away to go around it you find away)

step 3 make sure your running dual channel ram, go into task manager, click more details at the bottom left then at the top it there will be a performance tab, click that. then click memory and under Speed it will say the amount of slots used if it say 2 out of some amount you are running dual channel if its 1 out of some amount you are running single channel.

if you are running single channel, open the backside of your laptop and find the already existing ram. if you found it try find that same ram stick on amazon or some other place you can buy it. (make sure to watch a video on how to remove and add more ram for laptops)

step 4. undervolt your cpu. install quickcpu and search up a video how to use to it to undervolt(i can't explain everything)

step 5. if you have more then 16gb of ram then you most likely want to do this. increave the max vram amount. just search it up on youtube(here is a link, i know it may seem like this guy will give you a virus but i assure you this will increase your performance, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7SFGzhrKQ , i watched the video and he did everything correct.

step 6. realise that you might need better cooling, option one is you take off the back cover or some small access point, option 2 get a laptop cooling stand, option 3 (best one) take off the back cover and use the laptop cooling stand at the same time. (ONLY DO THIS IF CPU TEMP ARE REACHING ABOVE 90 DEGREES CELSIUS OR YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PERFORMANCE DIPS.)

step 7. appreciate the amount of performance, you may experience 45% to 60% in performance increase. and because your cpu is performing better then useusual you will have more "GPU USAGE SPACE" meaning your can archieve way high fps. by the way this basicly has the performance of a desktop cpu if you do all of this.

I have experience of doing this, many years(with my school laptop and home laptop one is now 8 years old and the other is 4 years old) of research and attempts of increasing performance and i have finally perfected it. i did it with my laptop and its amazing for the amount of performance pumped out of these things after they are being used at abuslute max.

if you made it this far of reading and you want to see a before and after performance difference for when you do this use https://silver.urih.com/
HIGHER THE BETTER ^^^
make sure to do "Benchmark"

thank you for reading, probably 100 mistakes but i dont really care

Computers are digital, right?

What if I told you that an analog computer can be way better for AI?

A startup named Mythic AI uses the transistors making up Flash memory as analog devices rather than digital, to calculate the huge matrix multiplications required for the training and application of deep neural networks. It is not precise (a few percents of error due to manufacturing variances), but AI doesn't need that much precision, and boy is it fast. Their chips can outperform or compete with GPUs in AI applications, while consuming only a few Watts of power.

It would be cool if LTT could visit the facility, demo some applications, and actually run some benchmarks comparing this tech to CPUs, GPUs, and maybe even the dedicated / ASIC AI hardware the likes of Google and Apple are using.

Veritasium already has a video on this, but Derek goes deeper into the math and physics involved, while LTT could look at this from a PC / gaming / media perspective, and what it means for the industry.

https://www.mythic-ai.com/

@CPotter @LinusTech This was back in 2021 so hopefully it's hardware you can get your hands on.

NETINT Announces the World’s First Commercially Available Hardware AV1 Encoder for the Data Center

All new Codensity™ ASIC-powered video transcoders offer an upgrade path to AV1 hardware encoding using x86 and Arm servers with speed up to 7,680 FPS at 4K broadcast quality.

What I'd like to see is something similar to what you guys try to do with unsuited Nvidia cards . . . take their commercial equipment and see if you can do something pedestrian and make a stupid-ridiculous Plex server.

Also, they have a Vancouver office.  

Edit:

Or something like their Codensity™ T400 Series Video Transcoder.

Edit 2:

You can actually buy a couple from them to test at a cost of $249 each.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I still want a new scrapyard wars: Scalpocalpse edition.  Sure it would be frustrating to find the parts, but I think it would still help out a lot of people find computer parts in these limited silicon chip times.

Hi guys,

I'd like to see a video with the steam deck with various micro sd cards and performance metrics if possible.   I know valve and other claim the load times to be relatively similar between sd and internal and was wondering if different brands had different performance metrics as well.

Thanks,

goetzjam

Hi all at LTT, 

I have just stumble across some pretty interresting topic, that is connecting GPUs over the Network to each other without the CPU as an intermediate. 

Using this technology GPUdirect ( https://developer.nvidia.com/gpudirect )  it seems to be possible to interlink at least two GPUs over the network to each other using the right Networkcards. ( here by searching for NVIDIA Bluefield 2 Cards ) 

What wonders me is if that could be used to link multiple GPUs to one for Gaming / Mining / Rendering. 

Maybe your chance to beat the 3d Mark Top score  😉 Would be fun to see LTT on the top of this list. 

Please keep me updated on your ideas about that ! 

best regards 

LocalNic

This is a bit of an odd one, but hear me out: 

Queer Eye, but tech edition... Basically the concept is making a positive impact in people's lives, but instead of getting a makeover, they get a tech overhaul, focusing on things that will help them get ahead in life, plus maybe bringing in some outside professionals who'd coach them on things that they are struggling with.

Test case:

My mom, who raised myself and my sister basically by herself from 17 years old has been struggling. She supports so many people that she doesn't leave time for herself. Despite that, she is trying to build up her gourmet vegan cocoa business for the better part of a decade and it is her dream to be able to do that full time. She's an extremely hard worker, doing everything from order fulfillment, packing, doing public events/markets, and way more. She is an inspiration for me in so many ways, but especially for her tenacity. But, one thing she is not is a tech person. I would love it if LTT would give her a tech overhaul, including having someone help coach her on running an online store and designing her website (runs on Square space, but she's always had a hard time managing it and the design just isn't up to where it could be), she's also been interested in selling on other platforms but just hasn't known or had the time to figure out where to start. She runs her entire business from a budget laptop because it is all she could afford as every last cent is put back into her business, so she could really a better computer/peripherals, desk, etc. She just recently quit her day job so she could put more energy into taking her business to the next level and so I'd really like your help in getting her off on the right foot! 

So I am converting a van into a camper I will be spending 4 months living in. I think a cool video idea would be a full breakdown of an conversion electrical system combined with possible internet solutions that make gaming viable for even demanding FPS titles. I am going insane trying to find relevant information. I feel that with so many people ditching the office these days, this could really inspire people to do something like this themselves. One of the hardest things would be having to leave the rig at home for four months lol. Coinciding with all this could be a tiny and efficient PC build. And maybe even go balls out with a stream set-up. 

Quick Breakdown:

Electrical system including Solar charging, DC-DC charging, and grid charging like from shore power and generators

How inverters work and what size would be needed for certain needs

Batteries and why this not that

Options to get reliable and fast (enough) internet

PC builds or Laptops that are powerful and power efficient

Setting up a way to stream

Video about using digital signage as a TV - e.g. the Samsung QB65R.

You can get really nice looking displays for the same price or cheaper than the TV equivalent. Even better, they may not be 'smart,' so there's no janky software overhead and you can rely on an nvidia shield, an Apple TV box, Google TV, Roku - anything is better than built-in smart OS's as they're so slow.

After seeing Anthony review the MEG GODLIKE, I'd love to see a video which shows off the mini Display Port in and then using Thunderbolt to drive a display. I honestly had no idea mobo manufacturers were doing this and it seems cool. Combine that with the optical Corning cables and it seems really powerful.

Side question... when is Corning coming out with their Thunderbolt 4 cables?

OK, serious suggestion time (for me, I'm not saying your suggestions aren't serious). You guys have brushed on old GPUs a couple times with your "Earliest SLI setup" and other stuff to that regard. I would suggest a collaboration with LGR (Lazy Game Reviews). 

Why?

Well, the history of nVidia, AMD (and ATI by extension), 3DFX, Diamond, Matrox, Cyrix and more are all interesting, and offer useful insight into how computers work and how the tech industry works. You could make them a TechQuickie, or a full blown video titled something like "The long Forgotten CPU Company Nobody has Heard of" (Cyrix).

LGR has good in depth videos already, but you could make more of an overview, and you could borrow some of the rare parts from his collection.

1 hour ago, OctothorpAndrew said:

After seeing Anthony review the MEG GODLIKE, I'd love to see a video which shows off the mini Display Port in and then using Thunderbolt to drive a display. I honestly had no idea mobo manufacturers were doing this and it seems cool. Combine that with the optical Corning cables and it seems really powerful.

There's a video about Linus' home setup, that's basically what he's using.  

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2