Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Maybe a good and probably cheaper alternative to your RED cameras --> https://www.apertus.org/axiom

Opensource & openhardware cinematography camera. Here a talk about the camera --> 

Hello from the sunny Portuguese island of Madeira. Absolutely loving the channel, you answer loads of questions I have about my network and computer setups, and seem to have a lot of fun while doing it. I run my own business, and can closely relate to the type of workplace you run. 

I do have a suggestion for a build that I think many would find interesting. 

My janky old core2duo workshop PC motherboard has finally died ( now very unstable after lightning strike on power lines)  so it’s time for an update.

I do a bit of gaming( but not seriously ) but I do need a reasonable CPU and Graphics for Fusion 360 (the core2duo really struggled with Fusion) and also use this as a data capture PC on my electronics workbench ( working on car ECU re-design) I’m not into cases, modding, etc, so buying a good solid bit of kit and making it last is more important than “on the edge” overclocking and RGB led’s everywhere! 

With the hilarious prices of GPU’s at the moment, I’m going for an integrated graphics build, and retaining the option of adding a decent GPU later ( a route that a number of people seem interested in). 

I’m thinking along the lines of an X570 motherboard, and Ryzen 5 5600g or 7 5700g, and want to save space, so I’m looking at an itx form factor for convenience over a massive tower to save workbench space. I’m focusing on the Ryzen 5 and 7 “G” as they seem to offer the best value and potential for upgrade vs intel - especially for the integrated GPU (but I’m seriously open to suggestions, advice and discussion) 

My suggestion is this:-

It would be really interesting to see your suggestions on how such a build would take shape, and how it would be upgraded as and when the GPU prices dropped or an upgrade to the CPU was affordable. 

So, for example, specifying, building and benchmarking a good “bang for the buck” work pc (with a decent amount of “bang”) based on a ( for example) X570 chipset and a Ryzen 5 5600G ,then having a “But wait - there’s more” moment, specifying and fitting a GPU to see what it would do to the benchmarks, and maybe even then updating the CPU to something that is now pretty sexy, but in a few years time would be more pedestrian and a lot cheaper. 

This could actually be two “episodes”, as there’s a lot of potential content to go through - maybe one building the thing, and one modifying it. 

The opportunities to discuss the pro’s and con’s of some hardware choices abound, (for example the b550 vs x570 debate with respect to forward and backward compatibility), and it would be really good to go through the reasoning behind the decisions on each bit of hardware, and what to look for to help forward compatibility. 

I think this is something that many people would like.

Cheers anyway, keep up the excellent work,

Mike.

It's a bit ambitious but an itx case print build off, design or find a 3d printed cases.

Competition starts when the printer starts, points for finishing the build first, points for better temps and performance, aesthetics, rgb, standard stuff from the cardboard case contest.

This can lead into fast print vs quality, cheat with bigger nozzles, balancing parts vs case size and cooling vs lame open frame looks.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

An idea involving a bit of manufacturing work.

A side panel for mid or full tower case with window and fan space.

As you shown in one of the videos with smoke machine gpu is starving for fresh air in many cases and it seems to me like people are sacrificing performance for aesthetics with tempered glass side panels. My suggestion is middle ground, an aluminum side panel with cutout for a glass or acrylic window. You still will be able to see most of the internals but also could have a decently sized fan over additional pcie slots witch would help with airflow in that area. The glass for the window could be held by rails or corner pices on the inside. A 120-140 fan could be mounted just under gpu to suck in fresh air. Fans themselves shouldn't interfere with other pcie devices since they usually take alot less space than gpu nor they look pretty most of the time.

Bonus points if this actually reduces temps more than 5 degrees or makes it less noisy.

Double bonus points if fan slots have dust filters removable from outside without touching fan mount.

Good luck!

Epic paint picture for easier understanding.

image.png.82a5807891d3650a1ad9858aef35441b.png 

Back in the day, there was always the discussion about which was better:  RISC vs CISC architecture.  It would be interesting to see a retrospective look at these and discuss how (if at all) these two architectures are implemented with current systems.

Cross a gaming rig and an easy-bake oven.  Replace the hard drive cage with an oven area that can hold a cookie sheet, and direct the heat from the GPU through the oven before it leaves the case.

Put raw cookies inside the case, dial the graphics up to max and game for an hour, then stop and enjoy your fresh-baked cookies.  Bonus points if you can repurpose a CD tray to load and unload the cookies.

I think it is possible - a GPU probably generates as much heat as the 100W light bulb which the easy-bake oven originally used.

Hi everyone,

My name is Jan Bernauer, and I'm a nuclear physicist working on multiple topics at multiple accelerator facilities. Would you guys/gals be interested to see what kind of hardware we use in these places (accelerator, detector and computer hardware)?

Concretely, I'm working on the proton radius puzzle (the MUSE experiment at PSI), a dark matter experiment called DarkLight at ARIEL/TRIUMF (so close to home for Linus) and other experiments at BNL (home of the future EIC), MAMI (Mainz, Germany), DESY (Germany) and CERN.

Please please please checkout this amazing demo by reddit user /u/Solder_Man.

It is quite literally the coolest hardware tech demos I've ever seen. The idea of hotswappable hardware modules is just so cool to me. Apparently he posted a video last year as well, so he has already been working on this project for quite some time.

The reddit thread also provides a link to the full 2022 demo on Youtube

PS: I registered an account JUST to post this.

Inspiration from this reddit post, talking about tp-link's wifi routers:

I personally think a deep dive into how much data is sent to third parties by wifi routers would be a very interesting video idea.

What manufacturer sends the most amount of data, where the data goes, how to turn it off, etc

Hi, so I have a video idea. We all know that Apple released the Mac Studio and obviously LTT will make few videos about it, probably one of these will compare the performance to Window's desktops but I think it would be really cool if the M1 Ultra Mac Studio is compared to Intel's new NUC 12 Extreme. Both are small form factor computers(though the Mac Studio is way smaller) and both are similarly priced if you'd get these somewhat similar specifications.

Mac Studio's specifications: 

• Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 48-core GPU
  • 64GB unified memory
  • 1TB SSD storage 
  • That will be $3990.00 

Intel NUC 12 Extreme specifications:

• Intel® Core™ i9-12900
  • 64GB DDR4 Memory
  • 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • EVGA RTX 3070
  • That will be $3893.00

So the price difference is under $100. If we'd compare M1 Ultra with 64 core GPU against the same NUC but with RTX 3080 rather than 3070, the price difference would be around $400, so It would be bit unfair.  

An updated video on self-hosted Email.

You could cover DYI and pre-made products. One pre-made I like and am interested in is the Helm email solution.

https://thehelm.com/

https://thehelm.com/products/helm-personal-server-v2?variant=39250026790981

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think it would be cool for The Hockey Guy and LTT to team up and do a video.   The Hockey Guy is moving to a new house in May and he lives in Vancouver.  It would be cool to see a media center set up for him to watch as many hockey games as possible as some nights he has to watch 5-11 games at the same time. 

and

I think it would be really interesting to make a video discussing AT&T's 3G shutdown, and the ramifications of creating a closed off phone whitelist.  I have perfectly functional 3 year old Asus ROG Phone II capable of VoLTE (with software tweaking) and I'm not sure how they can legally force me to either update the phone I'm using, or switch service providers since the only thing I can do on my phone is use data (until the SIM card is removed and AT&T puts a block on the SIM, until support is called from another phone to reactivate it, or an IMEI sweep determines it's not on the list of compatible devices and it gets automatically shut down at random) I

think this is irresponsible on AT&T's part, and Asus as well since the ROG Phone 3 and up are all supported. Think of all the E waste they've just created from this incredibly blatant planned obsolescence. They even sent us "free" crappy phones "similar to the ones you already have" with an automatic 30 day activation we didn't ask them to send us. 

This entire experience has made me very ready to switch, but only 4 carriers currently say they will support my device. The carriers are: T-Mobile, Mint Mobile, Metro and Ting. 

I imagine the older crowd that don't know 3G from 4G will just accept it, either use the free phones and move on, or be forced to buy an upgrade they didn't want if they want to keep the same carrier. 

I'm also going to try to reach out to Gamers Nexus about this as well, I think it deserves some attention from the community. 

Hello there!

I'would be really interested to see a detailed video about how to get the best image quality and FPS in 4k without having to invest in the graphics power for native 4k rendering. 

Obviously the immediate suggestion would mean to use DLSS and FSR.

But what I would be more interested in is: how do the results look like using a 1080p output from a graphics card and using the upscaling features of a modern TV to get a 4k image? Since modern TVs provide (in my opinion) a much better value given the display size and screen technology I'm really considering getting a e.g. 43" TV instead of a monitor. And I would rule out OLED screens because of burn in. But Samsungs QLED technology (e.g. in the 43" QN94B) outperforms any conventional LED monitor at the moment. So I was wondering how a 1080p output upscaled by the TV to 4k would compare to DLSS / FSR. 

E.g. How far would one get with a 3060ti (with RT?) when running a 1080p image to the TV and let the TV handle the upscale to 4k? 

A well prepared comparison considering the required graphics power (read: $$), image quality, FPS and input lag would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey LTT team!

I have an idea for a video about an accessory I've been designing for the Steam Deck that I'm planning on releasing for the community to use and modify. No one I know has an a Deck, and my preorder got pushed back again. I've been using the CAD files Valve released and trying to work with them to figure some finer details out. 

I was wondering if you'd be interested in maybe doing a video on how to 3D print it and test how well it works. 

No worries if not, love the channel!

Probably check out the Status Between Pro's since they claim to offer true audiophile sound while costing half or less than the Sennheiser momentum 2's

We've been benchmarking every PC parts. How about PSUs? e.g. Generic vs Reputable Brands, how are they efficient on power consumptions, how are they likely to burn your house down, etc. More love on PSUs pls. 

Build a PC inside an air purifier. The airflow is very strong and would cool a PC very well I think.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:25 AM, Jamesbond2285 said:

I think it would be really interesting to make a video discussing AT&T's 3G shutdown, and the ramifications of creating a closed off phone whitelist.  I have perfectly functional 3 year old Asus ROG Phone II capable of VoLTE (with software tweaking) and I'm not sure how they can legally force me to either update the phone I'm using, or switch service providers since the only thing I can do on my phone is use data (until the SIM card is removed and AT&T puts a block on the SIM, until support is called from another phone to reactivate it, or an IMEI sweep determines it's not on the list of compatible devices and it gets automatically shut down at random) I

think this is irresponsible on AT&T's part, and Asus as well since the ROG Phone 3 and up are all supported. Think of all the E waste they've just created from this incredibly blatant planned obsolescence. They even sent us "free" crappy phones "similar to the ones you already have" with an automatic 30 day activation we didn't ask them to send us. 

This entire experience has made me very ready to switch, but only 4 carriers currently say they will support my device. The carriers are: T-Mobile, Mint Mobile, Metro and Ting. 

I imagine the older crowd that don't know 3G from 4G will just accept it, either use the free phones and move on, or be forced to buy an upgrade they didn't want if they want to keep the same carrier. 

I'm also going to try to reach out to Gamers Nexus about this as well, I think it deserves some attention from the community. 

Thank you! Idk if you saw my post here also complaining about this very thing. 5G phone, but not officially supported. Still works for now.

2 Video Requests

1) I bought a home a while ago with a lot of Coaxial cable in the walls. I've done some research on MOCA (multi media over coaxial) networks, but they seem a little shady. I'm looking at expanding the wireless network and would like to take advantage of the many coaxial cables in the house. I also get the internet (300 mbps via Shaw) through said coaxial cables. 

2) I bought a iMac 21.5 in 2011 (its a MId 2011 model). I have since upgraded the optical drive to 2 SSDs. Still is zippy considering that its over 10 years old now. The video suggestion is that considering how bloody expensive the new Mac studio is, I would like to reuse my iMac, keyboard, mouse  ,SSDs while 

a) While using target display mode could i convert my 2011 iMac into my main display for a Mac studio

b) Since the iMac has 2 SSDs installed could the old iMac still read the 2 SSDs while in target display mode

Thank you kindly

Floatplane Developer Workflows / Deployment Infrastructure

With Floatplane planning to take on additional developers to work on-site at the new office space, perhaps now would be a good time to make a video about how their processes work and what their deployment infrastructure is like.

Things this could include:

• Which languages/frameworks are used? (We only know this in a vague sense from previous recruitment drives)
  • Which tools do the developers like to use? (Operating Systems, IDEs, CLIs, etc.)
  • How is source code controlled/shared? (GitHub standard/enterprise, mandatory use of VPNs for remote staff, etc.)
  • Which deployment methodologies are used? (CI/CD cloud or self-hosted, etc.)
  • How is Floatplane hosted on the web? (AWS, GCP, Azure, self-hosted Kubernetes, etc.)
  • Which additional services are used? (Amazon S3, video upload/transcode pipelines, VoD streaming pipelines, etc.)

Linus acknowledged in the video where he builds Linus Torvolds' PC that there isn't much content which focuses on software development.  This is, as far as I know, one of the only videos which does focus on this aspect of IT - and we're only really covering C language development here.

In addition to that, it may bring in viewers who normally don't watch LTT content, but may see this and like the idea of working at Floatplane and apply for a job.

PC Water Cooling Video Ideas

1. Water temp over multiple radiators - building off of this video where you tested stacked radiators, use the same testing gear but give each radiator fresh air and see at what point the radiators stop helping.  ls there a point at which additional radiators don't offer additional cooling capability when other variables are controlled? what is the temp change after each radiator? etc etc

2. The best fan config for a water cooled PC - i've seen a lot of people discuss how to setup radiators and whether the rad fans should be intake, exhaust, or a mix but so far i've only seen one person actually provide numbers.  I would like to see a similar set of tests to what the OP on reddit did but with the new O11 Dynamic Evo case that Linus used for a live stream build and then see the data for all the components in the loop.  And it would be cool to see the smoke machine used to illustrate the airflow.  The evo also has a front mesh kit, so you could show results with and without the mesh kit and fans.  You can fit 3x360mm radiators in the case, so you can show off a really power hungry/heat generating build and how to best setup fans to keep everything cool.  Water temp, component temp and case temp.

Video idea: Business computer networks & security

I'm the reluctant IT manager for 7-person engineering consultant company. I'm a Civil Engineer, but I've taken responsibility for IT given my background gaming, building computers etc. Our data storage is becoming un-manageble from a security point of view and I'm looking for a domain solution to manage user accounts for VPN, wifi, file storage etc. I'd be keen to see a video comparing options such as purchasing Windows server for active directory vs. a Linux or cloud option. There are lots of LTT vidoes on the hardware side and storage side, but not so much on the security side. 

I think the video could possibly be structured as an 'LTT server update' looking at how you've accomplished some of the above issues. My current thinking for my companies' network topology is to retain PfSense for VPN access to our physical license dongles, build a TrueNAS file server, and use JumpCloud for syncronising user accounts across computers, Wifi, TrueNAS, VPN and Office365. Windows server seems like a huge expense, just for the benefit in syncing user profiles with Azure AD. Azure AD or Azure Domain Services don't seem to useful for managing physical device security and are still reliant on a domain controller.

Nvidia apprears to have added LHR to cards that were purchased before it existed. I have a 3090 that came in the Alienware PC. So it is a dell OEM part. It was made before any LHR card was released. I have never seen this error before, but it has indeed cut my Hash in half. I am using NiceHash QuickMiner to mine while I am not gaming.

image.png.ffca64682dac8299dbc5da9801626259.png