Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

My buddy recently sent me this Apple article: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/apple-announces-self-service-repair/

I recently upgraded from a 2018 MacBook Pro to an ASUS ROG Strix laptop (mostly used for video editing and motion graphics). My Mac has been performing fine but one day in the middle of an After Effects project I noticed it stopped taking a charge. Remembering this model has a T2 chip, and a soldered SSD, I had to scramble to get all of my project files offloaded from the computer before my battery ran out entirely.

A quick phone call to the nearest Apple certified repair shop suggested it was most likely the Logic Board, as it's super rare for all 4 USB C ports to fail at the same time. I didn't care for spending upwards of $500+ for a diagnostic plus parts and labor, so I just saved my pennies for a new machine. 

If Apple was offering this "self service repair" at the time, I might not have been so quick to dismiss the option of just replacing board. The laptop has since come back to life and I have no idea why it's back, or why it failed in the first place, but's practically acting exactly the way it was when I first took it out of the box now.

Once Apple's Self Service Repair rolls out to everyone and is more readily available, I think it would be super interesting to see LTT revisit Apple's "refusal" to fix their own devices. I'm curious to see if a problem like this was replicated, would they a) even send a replacement part, and b) how smooth would the operation be (for a reasonably experienced "Pro" Apple is marketing their laptops too) from the point of contacting Apple, to actually repairing the device.

Or, you know, maybe it's dumb.

Hey so I have a NVME SSD that wasn't being recognized by multiple PCs. I ended up removing the adhesive thermal guard, and I saw that one of the NAND chips has a crack on it. Not sure how it happened, but it would be cool to do a video on the possibility of repairing, or even replacing that NAND chip on the drive to see if you are able to get it working again! Will send the Drive for you guys to check it out if interested!

IMG_8469.JPG

video idea: What is the correct order to install drivers after clean (windows) installation?

i got a new video card and i'm going to do a clean install on my OS just for fun, but it's been awhile, what is the correct driver order?

obviously a bios update before you begin but
motherboard drivers?
chipset drivers?
Video card drivers?

windows update last?

Video idea: In honor of the weird Al biopic movie being made. I would love to see you tackle the song “All about the Pentiums” about the PC master race. I know it is an older song but I think it still slaps. Possibly build a top of line pentium pc with the specs mentioned in song. Invite Weird Al into the shop to build something nerdy. Or at very least try out the outdated slang around the office. 

I’d like to see a video about raspberry pi’s. Sure they’ve been around, people have made videos doing all kinds of stuff.

but for a beginner?  Somebody that isn’t used to linux/CLI? I am, but let’s see what Linus has up his sleeve from beginner setup to advanced techie applications!!

that would be epic!  Even making a one way mirror, touch screen yada yada, pc…. Sure google instructions but, most ppl really don’t get too creative outside of the “pi imager” application.

switch it up a bit?  They’re only like 100$ USD. With a few sponsors I’d love to see what Linus comes up with cause I’d do it.

ha, knowing Linus he will use the GPIO and toss in a 3080 lol

Novel cooling solution? Compressed air jet (i.e., from air compressor) shot directly onto IHS of CPU. Does it blend?

Hi. Think this is off topic, but LTT is amazing with tech. 

Could it be a good video on how to make a closed sandbox to teach your kid to stream. 

Would love to see a review of the Gerrard Street Headphones with a lifetime service guarantee.
Statement from there website https://gerrardstreet.nl/

You know what sucks? Having to buy new headphones (again) because one small part can’t be repaired. And your old ones? Either incinerated or dumped in a landfill…

We’re here to help you break this cycle. Gerrard Street headphones deliver unparalleled sound quality in a revolutionary modular design, with free repairs forever. Because music lovers deserve better.

@dongart(DK) I have merged your question into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I use a Mediasonic Probox H82-SU3S2 8-Bay which sells for $400 CDN on AMAZON. The easiest way to connect is with e-sata cable and an Intel e-sata card because it supports multiple hard drives on a single e-sata cable. Using dynamic mode in Windows (Linux is an option) getting any level of RAID setup is easy. Using 20 TB HDDs you can have up to a 160 TB JBOD or 120 TB on a RAID 6.

Smaller size 4x drive options are available too.

Obviously this doesn't use any caching and although it may be possible with zfs or something else I have no experience with it. This is a pretty decent backup solution that sits on the desk.

I currently use 8x4TB and while I don't need more space, I've thought about trying 4TB SSDs for better performance.

Edited by CanonFodder
To add additional information.

This is more of a series idea but, with the advent of the Steam Deck and the rise of Linux based systems, could you guys do videos on how to set up Linux from scratch? For example, I'm working on my first actual Arch Linux build, and I'm trying to pick a desktop environment or possibly build my own out of all of the components. I think that you guys could do a great job at explaining the differences between the base Linux distros and what components are similar to Windows or MacOS. I have been scouring YouTube trying to find some good videos that explain elements of the system but for the most part its all "top 10 [Insert Component Here] of 20XX" and they just talk about why they like it and none of the cons of choosing one component over the others. Honestly, this idea is probably too niche and more of a new channel rather than a series, so I understand why it may not be picked up. I also think that it could demystify the world of Linux and possibly bring more people into the fold.

WD is producing e-waste

People buy a WD My Book Duo to take the WD REDs out because it‘s cheaper than buying WD REDs separately. And because the enclosure is refusing to take different brands and kinds of drives, the enclosure practcly becomes e-waste.

On top of that the hardware encryption ties you to their enclosures in case of a failure.

During the WAN show you mentioned doing a video relating to dumping ROMs from the switch. Would love to see this video, especially with the end goal of getting it from mod to steamdeck.

With that being said I have an original unmodded switch that I’m happy to donate for the use in a video if interested.

Hi:
 I got a pile of old stuff and managed to find some 1gb to 40 gb ide hard drives from about 1995, if want i can borrow you to make a video about it. (hopefully yes)
 With those, I also have a weird motherboard with cyrix media gx processor, GXI-200BP from 1995, with the powersupply and ram. Hopefully you'll want to take it and make a video about it because i really don't know much about the old computers.
Thanks

Hi, I have a video idea on a possibility of replacing a laptop display panel from TN to IPS.

I'm not sure if it's actually possible to do that but I want to know if it is actually doable and worth it.

Hello everyone, ive being thinking about making this suggestion for a while but i never really had the bravery to do it to be honest considering it is not really a tech video.
Im Rosa and i have Epilepsy for the last 17 years now. One of the most common things that i get to hear when i play video games etc. or see flashy images is that people are worried because of the common misconception that they get triggerd by flashing images. while in fact it is only about 3% that need to worry about that. it is a specific type of epilepsy called photosensitive epilepsy. 
Thats why i am requesting a video about epilepsy what actually can trigger it, how it works. what some of the technology behind it is that helps reduce seizures(vagus nerve stimulation)  and maybe a bit of awareness to educate people a bit more about this. 
I understand if this is not the right channel or video type for this subject.
Thank you.

I was looking into a way to play a game on my pc and laptop and keep my saves synced even though the game didn't support it. I stumbled onto this gem and found that it worked perfectly for allowing me to play all my games when on the go without having to download them twice. I thought that since game streaming services are becoming a big thing it would make a good video to have a look into setting up your own game streaming service which is what this essentially is. 

Please take the time to review the Dell 17 xps 9700 again. I bought the computer based on the review Linus made and it has given me nothing but problems.  I have had to send it in multiple times.  In your most recent 5000$ intel upgrade your accountant made a comment about the same laptop I think you should have paid more attention to it.  There is something wrong with the design and I hope you could look into it. The specs on this laptop will ensure it hangs on in the used marketplace and people should be made aware.

Attempting to revive old gpus by using modded drivers and comparing performance 

How about a video where you take an old iMac that is no longer supported by the new macOS, but has a fully functional screen, and you somehow revitalize the screen as a standalone monitor. 

Inspired by the last NAS build but something about home media transcoding, server hardware, and software.  So from like picking hardware (intel quick sync, NVIDIA, etc).  Then comparing Plex, Emby, Jellyfin.

Some topics:

Compare how many 4k -> 1080p  concurrent transcodes the different intel iGPUs can perform

NVIDIA 4k concurrent transcodes, both with and without the transcoding driver unlock for different GPUs

Same as above but with 1080p -> 720p

Compare the above to AMD CPU/GPU performance

Upload bandwidth required to stream

Client support, payment models, ethics (FOSS) of the different software packages