Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A video about people wrecking their PC (motherboard-bios) by enabling secure boot for windows 11.

There are frequently calls for more Linux/Server/Security content.

While it wouldn't fit on the main channel, I think as it's own, "LMG IT Office" could be a great channel.

Hire an LMG dedicated IT worker, and create content as they evaluate the current state of infrastructure, and professionalize it.  All the server type upgrade videos would be great here, but with more information on boring stuff like what software and how to install.

But the channel would follow regular Office IT work and life, with regular video content and the occasional live stream of projects, etc.

This seems like a good role/job for an Anthony in Training, the world needs more Anthony's!

Here is an Idea for a video series, Can you fix it?

take a cool gaming PC/Laptop, but break it is some way, and challenge subscribers to fix it in 2 hours, or get nothing.

here is a similar idea but with Cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0N1gchSoIM

have all the parts at hand, and if you ask for the wrong part/driver/tool 10 min gets deducted from your time,

think its a great series showing averages joes how to fix their own PC, and what is the steps to take to fix a problem.

Steam deck desktop mode with a focus on lapdocks. A follow-up video could be about what lapdocks are available on market. 

Setting up an interlaced pc system where you basically set up your gpus in one wherehouse cpus in one then storage in ram in the other to see what the speeds are like and how effective it is 

dont know if this is possible or worth it just thought it would be a fun idea 

I'm new here so I hope I found the proper thread. Maybe this has been done already, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in receiving and dissecting my 8 year old Corsair H55... you know... for science!
Its been used daily and has seen 4 different CPUs and motherboards. Believe it or not, it still works flawlessly. Even though it appears to be fine, It kinda feels like a liability in the system.
The first pic is modern day, and the screenshot shows my build from 2014 with a time stamp.  Let me know!

Guts2022.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-27 134711.png

Screenshot 2022-03-27 140725.png

1 hour ago, TriXX said:

I'm new here so I hope I found the proper thread. Maybe this has been done already, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in receiving and dissecting my 8 year old Corsair H55... you know... for science!
Its been used daily and has seen 4 different CPUs and motherboards. Believe it or not, it still works flawlessly. Even though it appears to be fine, It kinda feels like a liability in the system.
The first pic is modern day, and the screenshot shows my build from 2014 with a time stamp.  Let me know!

Guts2022.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-27 134711.png

Screenshot 2022-03-27 140725.png

so are you selling it or just giving it to someone because if you are just giving it to someone i would be willing to pull it apart and what not 

Do a video on the need for a mux chip in 2022, in laptop and desktop systems.

Edited for clarification:

I've done tests with GTX 680, RX 580 and RTX 3060 on two desktop Intel systems (i7 5775c on H97 & i5 12600k on H670 all with PCIE x16 connection) and see no performance changes between plugging in directly to the dGPU and plugging in through the iGPU; even when gaming.

(yes you still have to direct the software to use the dGPU for graphics intensive programs)

I use Windows 10 & 11 Pro with desktop systems tuned for peak performance (disable VBS, use ultimate performance power plan, regedit system responsiveness, disable background telemetry nonsense, disable fast boot in bios & fast startup in windows, etc. without OC'ing CPU) and daily drive both systems with the GPUs straight from the iGPU output.

Is this idea that you can't use your dGPU while connected only to the iGPU a relic of past system software limitations?

Addendum: I've noticed that playing with the dGPU driver config is a much slower process when interfacing through iGPU, but that's about it for downsides.

My 12600K + H670 + RTX 3060 system is attached below

20220319_235643.jpg

Edited by nameon1
Grammar and clarification corrections.

US $361.58  33%OFF | SUNSHINE TB-03 PCB Thermal Camera Diagnosis Instrument Cellphone Motherboard Repair Fault Diagnosis Thermal Imaging Instrument
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZP3qm saw this on aliexpress looks interesting enough to do a video on.

Hi ! 

I had been using a laptop I got 3-4 years ago n thought it was finally time to change the thermal paste on it so I opened it up, I always had a hunch but never bothered to verify it had a Desktop CPU n GPU? (also it is still much cheaper , less than 1000 $ even with 3070)

Here's a YT video of someone repairing it. He opens the back at 8:00

Hoping you could swap some other CPU and maybe GPU n see how it responds.

Thanks for your time !

Kae

I have an idea which I would love to see and I feel like Alex would have a great time doing it.

In the days of the modern world with Solar panels and more and more people trying to love off grid as much as possible. AC power is slowly dying out for a lot of things because well, if it's all locally contained you don't need to transmit the power long distance.

Most solar creates 12VDC power and is stored in 12VDC battery banks.Then to use in the every day house it is piped through an inverter to create 110/240V AC power. This creates losses because thermodynamics. This can easily be mitigated in most areas of the house, you can get highly efficient 12V LED lighting, a multitude of DC to DC power conversion for charging most electronics. Monitors and TV's tend to have a built in AC to DC converter (unless you're using a tube still.) with plenty of 12VDC options available. 

For a computer the power needs to be converted from the inverter back to 12VDC creating two points of efficiency loss just to get back to where you started. (Yes I know technically it's like 13.4VDC or something to that affect.) I know you could also just use a laptop or gaming laptop, but who really wants to miss out on them FPS?

Considering Seasonic has the Syncro Q7 it might not be that difficult to create a way to pipe the power directly from a battery into the PC. I feel like this is one of the things LTT Labs could be great for because it would help to see if it was A) possible, B) what kind of battery storage you would need and solar to charge and C) well, it would just be cool. 

Just imagine, the video opens. The camera panning around a forest, the sounds of shouts coming from an unseen gamer. Then, An array of solar panels and batteries and someone gaming in the middle of the forest on a full desktop experience. (obviously an over the top unlikely scenario and wouldn't be that efficient to carry as I imagine needing around 6 100Ah batteries for around 4-5 hours of full load gaming from basic estimates) Would still be a cool thing for a video to spice it up.

Maybe a longshot but when the new Engineering Office and Workingspace is completed a full Power Supply Benchmark and Comparison would be quite interesting.

In the recent times PSUs have become rather cheap but the question is, wether or not they are stil as good as "Premium" Models, aspecially when taking into account that right now due to the increased Power requirements of Gaming Components and the current instability of specially European Grid Power, they are under the heaviest load, when comparing to other system components.

For the testing methodology the following tests or parameters would be interesting:

- Linear Load Test using a Lab Bench Battery load tester (or similar) This could be used to evaluate simple Manufacturer Claims like Wattage or Efficiency

- Stability over time when altering the input Voltage using a Variac with and without Load connected.

- Stability whilst the input Frequency  is varying like can happen when large loads are Dis/Connected to the Power Grid, with or without Load on the PSU

- Ripple over DC Voltage on all Power Lines and Load effect on those

- Simulated non Linear Load behavior to evaluate differenciating Load requirements arrising from starting a game or render etc. This could be done using a Programmable Load

- Earth (PE) to live (L1) and Neutral (N) Resistance (In mostly older Systems there were tiny trikle currents from L1 to PE which caused problems with RCDs in larger deployments)

- Fault reaktion, when a power supply goes it should idealy not take any other hatdware with it, or worse knock your house power out. Overload, Overcurrent, Overvoltage Test.

- Active Backfeed reaktion. This can happen in cheaper PCIE Cards when coils feed Current back to the PSU after the PCIE Load has stopped / decreased significantly.

- Current Ripple when overclocking can destabelise an overclock, as seen on one of the SYW episodes. This should also be tested using an Oscilloscope with Shunt Resistor connected to the Load.

This is a technicly challenging Video but also very much worth making, scince the PSU does have way more effect on your system then some may realize.

So I saw this guy saying that new AI server was basically write only... 

Anyway,

- I want to see a PC Case wind circulation models.

- what's the smartest AI model Nvidia can lend to you that can speak to you like Jarvis through only your equipment. 

- Thermal models of Alex's creations. 

- design a graphics card, CPU, memory, etc,.. a computer.

Other suggestion: 

- build yet another DIY-Case build using hobbiest level supplys and prices. Perhaps a lot of them.

I’ve noticed an uptick in advertisements pushing various home energy monitor solutions and with the seemingly endless increase in energy prices the idea of monitoring where my home’s energy is going is becoming more important each time I pay my utility bills. Would your team look into different solutions for home energy monitoring and provide any suggestions as well as recommended dos and don’ts. 

After watching "Nvidia missed the memo" I got an ad for some kind of device that goes into a wall box and plugs into ethernet with USB-C outputs that not only carry data, but charge almost any device, laptop or tablet, plugged into them too. It seems extremely niche but I've never seen anything like this capable of the power delivery they promise. The exact link for it is POE+ to USB-C Power and Data Delivery with 25 Watt Output for iPad Pro (poetexas.com). You guys should definitely check it, seems like it'd be worth a "look at this weird cool thing" kinda video.

For devices with embedded Li-ion batteries, since battery life degrades increasingly faster over ~4.2v, you should include the charge voltage at 100%.
I stole this chart off the interwebs and will be using it as reference below. I know there are other chemistries of Li-ion, but all experience faster wear the higher their charged voltage

Spoiler

Unplanned Obsolescence | Battery Power Magazine

Say we have 2 devices:
Device A: 4000mah charge at 100% 4.25v
Device B: 5000mah charge at 100% 4.35v
All else being equal, while device B will start with a longer operating time per charge, by charging the cell to a higher voltage it would degrade at a significantly faster rate. They'd reach 100% capacity parity at ~100 charges, with device B rapidly getting worse from there. Batteries are considered end of life when total available capacity is 80% or less than rated battery capacity, with device B reaching that point in ~160 charge cycles, device A reaches that point in ~370 charge cycles.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

You have done lots of build guides but you could also do replacement guides beacouse I think that is something wich isn't really talked as much about like maybe switching cases or motherboards, or just the regular stuff like the cpu, ram or gpu 

He said in his live stream he would love to colab with Linus in a video making him a server for his automotive YouTube Channel id love to see this and hes a huge fan of your Channel please reach out to him it you all could make this happen id love you all forever my 2 fav YouTubers working together

samit.JPG

Hey LMG

Was wanting an in depth assessment of powerline adapters and there doesnt seem to be any on YouTube. Was tossing up between them or a mesh system for a friend and i thought powerline would perform better but every forum and review i see says otherwise. 

I myself have a super cheap dual band mesh system atm and it works pretty well all considered once i forced it to mediate data only over 5Ghz. I get 50+mbps at the furthest end of my house and up to just under max capacity of my connection sometimes aka 90mbps-ish.

All the powerlines i can see in review seem to go to 10-50mbps even if they advertise 1 or 2 Gbit. I never expected max performance but i didnt think it would tank so badly as to wifi being the better option. 

So yeah i was wondering if a super in-depth review was possible. Test them unrealistically close together from several high end varients with no possible interference and see how they go, see if they generate their own interference or if they just lack enough decent hardware internally to transmit data adequately. Just from what i can gather right now they seem like a crappy landfill item if wifi and mesh performs significantly better even over distances and air. 

My friends playstation cuts out over wifi atm cos of the distance so i thought powerline would be good plus less lag/interference since its not wireless. But seems like the opposite might be true and mesh superior.

Much love

1 hour ago, EzioAudiSomething said:

All the powerlines i can see in review seem to go to 10-50mbps even if they advertise 1 or 2 Gbit.

The issue with powerline adapters is that marketing got their hands onto them, and usually they advertise 1-2Gbit over the power line which may be correct, but then on most of them they put a 100Mbps Ethernet port so it's going to be limited to that in/out of the adapter anyway.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hey you guys did a video on the prison phone recently. My brother is... higher ranked at a (Florida) state-run prison. They have given their prisoners this tablet and are running into issues with the prisoners jailbreaking them (ironically). https://securusjp6.com/?fbclid=IwAR19ZXp8HWfSwPoTC8_iPh6n60WgFuqG3BObvscBOPJVTuPpvRWPcmOOmh8

Was interested in how secure that tablet may actually be from your perspective and how long it might take a group of pros like the LTT team to break into it and get to functions they're not supposed to have like VOIP and messaging...

On 3/23/2022 at 4:18 PM, Sure Not said:

maybe for TechLinked

do a brief explanation why Video Cards with HDMI output do not allow to use the said HDMI port to output to a sound device only (like a soundbar), and why an audio extractor device is needed instead 

I agree with this one whole-heartedly!

In my case, I am using a 2011 HP Pavillion dv7 laptop that originally shipped with Windows 7 whose HDMI worked perfectly until I upgraded to Windows 10... then the HDMI just stopped working entirely. Since then, I re-installed the Windows 7 factory reset and then upgraded it to Windows 11 (unsupported 😁) with Linux Mint in a dual-boot setup. The HDMI still worked perfectly in Windows 7, but not at all in Windows 11 or Linux Mint. Other than that, Windows 11 and Linux Mint both work beautifully.

What is the point of even having an HDMI port if it is so unreliable?

Heyo! Linus you and your team have always inspired me and my friends, so earlier this year we broke your World record for highest Altitude LAN party by 1,493 meters we think it would make great material for a quich bitk or such on Tech news which we watch avidly.

Here is the link to the official Guinness website: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/116433-highest-altitude-lan-party-on-land 

It took a lot of hard work and dedication but it was worth it.

Thank you for all you great content over the years!

In a WAN show not to long ago, Linus joked about/mentioned exploring Vtuber tech for a video, and i think it could be very interesting to dive in to. I also happen to be practicing making models at the moment for my own needs, and made one of Linus for practice, complete with Iphone faceID facial tracking. if the team would like to use it i'm happy to provide the files and instructions to use it! 

Linus 3D model showcase

I stumbled across this review while being aggravated at my PC for driving me crazy with noise, since I'm very sensitive and aware of it. I own several fans, some of these included. Now I'm obviously not taking this review as fact, but I think it would make a cool (highly useful) topic to explore. Noise from computers can be very irritating; everything from coil whine to pulsing. It can have serious mental health effects (even ignoring this review) and even contribute to hearing degredation. I'm not sure if this is better suited to LTT Labs or not, but it's something I, and many others, would love to know more about. Screenshot_20220330-215331_Chrome.thumb.jpg.421fe1110b0c4ea22326306e1388e08f.jpgScreenshot_20220330-215248_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3249af0e87347a20baa59c9fc057c208.jpgScreenshot_20220330-215255_Chrome.thumb.jpg.599d8f0b9723e38c86c0ca385a4b7ef5.jpgScreenshot_20220330-215302_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ab93a43b1160d552aacb2b02cd455728.jpg