Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

hi, i'm a beginner at pc stuff, and resently i've been trying to make the dumest things, like ssd as ram, or using transformer minerle oil. and i realized, i nobody asweres the stupid questions, like : can you put a distro plates horyzontally, are reservoirs better if there bigger, is sistem psi better higer or lower. water cooling, yes being very documented, it's not been, idiot proofed, like for exemple, my first water cooling loop, was a buket, a home made pump, using a motor from princest auto (116v), and a car radiator and the cherry on top, a home made cast water block, before you guys of corse ( very disapointed in your horible crasmenship, have you ever heard of plaster and a 3d printer ), turns out red neck power, isn't great with pc's. thank you for your amazing videos, and i thank you for reading.

I'd love to see a workstation replacement laptop shoot out. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc in their 15-17" inch versions. As work from home settles in more and more need these portable monsters. 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, Slottr said:

Been looking at home security recently and stumbled upon the Wyze cam, I'd be interested in seeing something about that

Budget home security or something along those lines

I’d actually look at dlink cameras wyze are cool with ai but trying to be that much the cheapest is biting them and now are going to Google’s model of cloud storage and having you pay a subscription.  Last I heard about it.

dlink has the ability to use as ip camera so you can use better ai camera software on your pc or pi with rather good night vision.  

I’m thinking of a diy best filtered pc build from wood and either car intake flat filters or hepa filters to have a super reliable and dust free  pc and you Canadians are pretty artistic so should be able to make something cool looking also mine would be rather basic till I saw some other ideas 

Started watching todays video about what looked like a laptop. Stopped watching after about a min or so. Two embedded ads and then a third. Sorry Just not going to watch that sort of thing with that many ads spaced about 10 seconds apart. Good luck with that.  I will always just walk away from that sort of content! I will look for a review or write up on any product that is presented that way somewhere else. I am not interested in watching that video at all and I am leery of what sort of shenanigans your company will get up to next!

8 hours ago, ne0rmatrix said:

Started watching todays video about what looked like a laptop. Stopped watching after about a min or so. Two embedded ads and then a third. Sorry Just not going to watch that sort of thing with that many ads spaced about 10 seconds apart. Good luck with that.  I will always just walk away from that sort of content! I will look for a review or write up on any product that is presented that way somewhere else. I am not interested in watching that video at all and I am leery of what sort of shenanigans your company will get up to next!

I’m pretty sure that is google auto ads not all Ltt placement they only do one add at the beginning and then at the end. 
But I guess that does help the smaller tech YouTubers get bigger since there numbers are lower google probably won’t shove tons of ads on their videos…:

…sorry I had ent watched it yet just did I see how it’s frustrating to some. I’m fine with it. But I pay for google premium or whatever so compared to watching tv still not many ads. And they are more fun also I just skip them if it’s something I’ve already seen. Using double tap 

19 minutes ago, Ritsu- said:

It's April 1st, if anything, I also feel that it was a pretty bad April's Fools joke. In case you guys were just pretending, I guess I took the bait lol

Hahaha thank you Yeap should of known with the cheese and then another ad

cought me off guard since I downloaded it last night.

please delete my comments 

thank you. 

You should make a PC that can be powered off a solar panel. Maybe somthing with a 12600k with the P cores disabled, a 1650, a DC-DC psu to save the little extra bit of energy, a fanless cooler to save like one watt, and a p31 ssd for its laptop power saving mode.

I was watching random tech youtube videos, and ran in to this video (Korean Language)

Seems very related to temperature as this video suggested 2 years ago.

But I really dont know if we only get 6~8watts of charging during normal use on 25W and 45W charger seems absolutely unacceptable.

Even when the phone is OFF, the charger never charges phone on 45W except very short amounts of time.

Though LMG might be interested on doing video regarding this.

There are alots of people purchasing fast charger including PD cabpable, and if Samsung phones are incapable of doing so, it's such a waste.

I would love a video about custom trackpad gestures! For Windows and for Mac if anyone has customised the Mac ones! [and Linux if that could be a thing anyone else is interested in.. tho i guess you'd have to choose a distro and that would be impossible haha]

I found these custom Windows ones a year and and a half ago and I haven't changed them since, I feel they're so smooth (and waaaay smoother than the default ones imo). Would love to see other people's suggestions 😄

Also for those who don't know. On Windows, go to Settings > Devices > Touchpad > Advanced gesture configuration

to change custom gestures. I don't know how to do this on a Mac

Three finger gestures:    

Tap: Middle Mouse Button

Up: Windows Search (or Win+S custom shortcut as Search is not an option in settings)

Down: Start (or Win key)

Left: Action Centre (or Win+A)

Right: Switch Apps       - I think this makes sense as the app switcher always starts on the left side...

Four finger gestures:

Tap: Close (or Alt+F4) - this one feels completely right. Would recommend 🙂

Up: Explorer (or Win+E)

Down: Backward Navigation... (makes navigating Explorer, the web and some apps super-fluid without needing to reach for               the back button, Backspace or some other shortcut...)

Left: Minimise

Right: Maximise

I saw this online through a utube video a guy rigged up one of these 0.7inch 1080p display to game on I thought it would be fun for you to see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001703718786.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.3b6139a7sAwgss&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=4f6fb3fa-1938-4796-b01a-161e4347af67&_t=gps-id%3ApcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller%2Cscm-url%3A1007.13339.169870.0%2Cpvid%3A4f6fb3fa-1938-4796-b01a-161e4347af67%2Ctpp_buckets%3A668%232846%238112%231997&&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000017222025876%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%223339%22%7D

On 3/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, Kilrah said:

The issue with powerline adapters is that marketing got their hands onto them, and usually they advertise 1-2Gbit over the power line which may be correct, but then on most of them they put a 100Mbps Ethernet port so it's going to be limited to that in/out of the adapter anyway.

That makes some sense. I still dont understand why they tank so badly though. Like i said most seem to degrade really fast over a distance where im pretty sure mesh would do fine. If they actually ran at 100Mbps and could maintain that at even a medium distance id be happy with that. But even when connected really close together, unrealistically so, from what things ive seen and read they still seem to easily drop to 50Mbps which doesnt make sense to me considering mesh's capabilities

I have just a weird idea: Linus and Gordon Ramsay cooking and building a pc together. 🙂

Both of them can be very dynamic and enthusiastic in their comfort zone.

I'm wondering what would happen if they would work together.

New video on what gamers/streamers need and performance tears and and add a Vtuber section. They run a live 2D or 3D model, OBS, games, and sometimes crome; so quite a difficult Computing situation.                             

i was watching a stream in twitch (vtuber) and they said they had 16GB of RAM and wanted 64GB, as 16 was getting maxed out. I had a hard time believing 64 was the a MUST and the internet wasn't vary helpful in this particular question so. 

I watched the Techquickie over the C-Band dishes:

There is an entire industry called Free To Air satellite (FTA for short). They primarily use Ka and Ku bands nowadays but there is some that still use C band. You can pickup a lot of channels from all over the world with a K band based system. This is a link to a good source to see what channels are available:

https://www.lyngsat.com/

There is still local channels being rebroadcasted over FTA. There is specialized and foreign channels also. My favorite is foreign channel is NHK World on SES 3. 

The big news channels also use C band and K bands for back hauls for their live streams that is not encrypted. These are unedited live streams that has no cuts and all the bloopers if you are lucky enough to see them.

They also got music streams going also over the K bands. The music for many big chain stores and restaurants are on the same satellites. Such as the music for McDonald's and Popeye's locations are on SES 3 also.

These satellites can have a lot of FTA on them. For instance Galaxy 19 has over 90 channels just on the K bands.

The cost to get a setup for K bands is less than $300 US and if you want C band there is almost someone with a dish they want to get rid of for free.

If there is not any other reason to make a video on this subject; there is hardly no quality content on this subject on YouTube. I would love to see a good video on it.

Hi Linustechtipsteam,

there is a problem with crackling sound when playing Dolby Atmos on apple tv 4k gen2 (2021), that was introduced with an IOS update around June 2021.

It happens across multiple platforms like Netflix, HBO max and also apple tv plus.

It is independent of the hardware, it happens with AV receivers and soundbars and it makes no difference, weather you connect the ATV via eARC or directly.

Since then, many many people contacted apple to report this bug, but apple did not resolve the issue. They always tell us, that the problem is not on apple's side, we should reset the ATV, buy better HDMI cables or they send new apple tvs in refund, that always have the same issue, as soon as you update to the latest OS.

It feels, that Apple simply does not care about those fraction of users, who actually use Dolby Atmos. Their OS is made for all their devices, and the apple tv is most likely the least important.

Nevertheless, many people bought it, because it was the first device supporting atmos in streaming.

My hope is, that if a huge channel like Linustechtips would create a video about that topic, it would raise awareness at apples side, and they actually put some devs on solving the issue.

It would be really great, if you could help here.

I will copy a link to the biggest thread about this topic here:

https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/2021-new-gen-apple-tv-4k-dolby-atmos-problems.18919/

Thank you,

Christoph

can we have a ltt and a hermitcraft colab

they are doing well but i want to see a upgrade for every one

Edited by Kilrah
Merged title into post

I feel like an update is due for the most efficient PC, especially given the recent rises in prices for energy. Maybe also include tips to decrease power consumption in already existing PC's without sacrificing too much performance. I'd be really curious to see what components would be best suited for such a build especially given the ever increasing monstrous power requirements of graphics card.

Do a energy efficient gaming pc challenge. It could be fps per watt and could have a creative component like exercise bike that creates power to help increase the ratio. Most "energy" efficient wins

Chrome OS Flex! A video on this OS and more awareness on how useful it can be for people on a budget alongwith how people can use it.

Dear Linus tech tips ☺️

I have been a subscriber for many years 😍

Is it possible to use the graphics card to clean up YouTube videos, using the power of my graphics card? (RTX2080 Super)

I don't mind if I have to download the video, and process the file through a program.

I have a 1080p TV.

The video review of K5 Pro thermal pad replacement, titled “More FPS for just $10”, really needs to be revisited for multiple reasons. 

Reason 1: It just doesn’t work well on GPUs. 

1. Someone bricked their 3060

2. User saw 10-20c temp increase

3. A bunch of poor Amazon reviews

4. A detailed review, it increased vram temp 10c

5. Another user with poor results

6. Another 10c increase on vram temps

7.  User getting thermal throttling after applying k5

8.  Another user hitting vram max temp at idle

9. More thermal throttling

10. Another user experiencing increased temps

Really, just read the YouTube comments on the video. Seems like for every 1 good comment there’s 5+ bad comments. 

Reason 2:  A lot of users report that their k5 “boiled” but the manufacturer has tested k5 to 200c so I doubt this is the case. However, k5 is very viscus and sticky, making it very easy to trap air in the k5 during application. My guess is that the air is migrating to the surface after prolonged use, giving a “boiled” appearance. 
1. User reporting boiling

2. User reporting boiling AND burning???

Reason 3: The original video doesn’t actually give any thermal results. Having a putty instead of pads allows for better gpu die contact. So Alex could have been seeing lower gpu die temps, which could have led to slight FPS gains. Meanwhile, his vram and vrms could have gained 10-20c like many other reviewers reported. 

I think it would be great if LTT revisited k5 pro. Maybe comparing it to TG-PP-10 and Honeywell PTM7950-SP and giving actual thermal results.