Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I recently moved into a new place where I now pay for my own electricity usage and have become painfully aware of the cost that comes with playing video games for hours on end. Would love a video that goes into performance per watt based comparisons of different components/displays, building the most power efficient gaming rig you can, and how things like refresh rate, HDR, different cooling solutions, etc impact power consumption. 

sponsored by seasonic maybe? 

Hello! I have an old all-in-one Lenovo PC that's been upgraded to a "modern" design with a very odd build.. 

The fans, well.. they are questionable and the performance isn't that great. Im sure you would have alot of fun with this pc! If you do pick this up as a good idea, maybe you should try upgrading it, new fans and a graphics card?

Im sure if you run a performance test you would be shocked at the results.. and the incredibly loud fans, ow my ears.

Regards,

Hey all,

For the steam deck. I am one of those people hoping to use this as my only pc. I have the idea that a usbc device might already exist that is essentially a laptop, but without a brain? Just a usb hub, hdmi display and usb keyboard and touch pad, with a power in usbc port as well of course, all built into a slim folding unit that can plug directly into the deck while it sits beside it. Do you know of such a thing and what it might be called? Linus mentioned using the steam deck as his daily driver, so, seems like a really good topic to cover. Do they exist? Will LTT labs build one? Would love to hear info on this topic. Also, when designing accessories, can you touch on not blocking the heat dissipation of the deck causing thermal throttle with custom accessories now the 3d files have been released.

1 hour ago, Natzan said:

Do you know of such a thing and what it might be called?

Lapdock is a good starting point. 

https://liliputing.com/2021/02/5-laptop-docks-that-let-you-use-a-smartphone-like-a-notebook.html

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hi there.

As you guys have gotten into more DIY and have a capable shop and staff I think an incredible video could be an Othorn build. The Othorn is the single most impressive diy open source subwoofer ever designed. You can google othorn subwoofer for more details. It is a tapped horn, 21" subwoofer that can get down to the mid/low 20s (Hz) while eating up a 3000Wrms+ amplifier at full blast. It has been described as both unreasonably powerful, but also impressively dynamic, and low distortion. While 3000Wrms is somewhat normal in the realm of pro Audio, the 100db/watt sensitivity at 35HZ with just a single unit is obscene. Combined with it's huge power capacity and linearity, it is genuinely insane.

The creator of the design hosts a website called databass where you can look at the measurements where it produces over 130Db ANECHOICALLY. It is a fairly involved build but I think with your equiptment and know how it would be both very doable and a very captivating video.

New to the forum but while watching the newest intel extreme upgrade with Colin's DIY sub build the idea hit me. Do yourself a favor and take a look at the beast.

If you need a copy of the plans I have a PDF saved somewhere

I found something recently that I thought was really interesting.  It's on Kickstarter called the Arsenal 2.  Essentially, it attaches to a DSLR camera and and touts using a neural network to automatically change the settings in the camera to get the optimal photo based on a bunch of different sensors.  It sounds really interesting.  The only problem is the original Arsenal, from what I have found, had gotten horrible reviews.  Negative reviews aside, I really am intrigued by this product and any alternatives that might be out there like just attaching an android phone to the camera and having an app do the processing.  

I feel like there hasn't been a video on upgrading all-in-one computers in a long time... at least on the LTT channel. I feel like it would be educational, especially for those who get it for family and/or friends, who just want to use it for office and maybe some adobe.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Always wanted LinuxTechTips to make a developers perspective video like the following-

1. Various setups for doing development which covers at least these points -
    1. Different powered systems and discussing their limitations
    2. Different IDEs in the market, and which to use depending on the system
    3. RAM limitations affecting the user prioritising the way it affects the workflow
    4. Desk setups
      1. only laptop
      2. ony CPU
      3. one or more external setup
      4. Discussing how can one adapt his/her setup peripherals positioning depending on preferred viewed zone (eg: I like 11 oClock to 2 oClock vision zone)
        • NOTE: you should also cover this point in a dedicated video

Personal Note:

You should try doing some videos on user behavioural analysis or look into how to incorporate it in your scripts, would really help users to relate to contents based on products reviews, critiques, personal experience, advices etc.

Here is a new lithium box technology that is re-usable 50 years. I can offer LTT a piece of the startup company / technology foundation if you can help me tell engineers about the technology. You'd probably have a lot higher revenue from aiding this project than from a general sponsor. I can relocate to Canada which is a leader in renewable technologies because my girlfriend wants to re-locate 🙂

I received an email from Bitdefender today, saying that since I am from Iran, they are closing my account and cancelling all my subscriptions. I've been using their security products for years now, and how is that they didn't know I'm from Iran when I was buying their product, but suddenly, in the middle of my subscription, they decide to cancel the subscriptions I have paid in full, and have about 6 month remaining on it?
How about it for a tech news? I can provide more information if needed.
image.png.7d1138feb51e5c156caddc73159bb6a4.png

I think an interesting and funny video idea would be stacking ram extenders. You could see how many extenders you can stack until it stops working. I'm not sure where you could find them, but I'm sure its not too hard. I think ddr4 to ddr4 converters are also the same thing as what I'm talking about.

image_2022-02-21_231950.png

Yet another online business ad that could use a review

Online Business.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

First april joke:
- MKBHD bought LMG
- Create simple 1 Arpil joke and after that on WAN show police arests Linus and some of their team for "paid" reviews and next few videos will be without Linus. (Don't tell that to Luke)

LTT:
- How to check childrens PC monitor remotely (maybe sponsored)
- Check cabels for PC VR (USB A - C or C - C)
- Create your own local internet with blackjack and lttstore
- Mean comments 2022? 
- 0 cable managment PC Build
- What is like to work with Linus part 2

MA:
- Does Jailbreak today worth it? 

Techquickie:
- How many wifi (2.4 and 5 GHz) devices you need to suffer overflow and loosing signals.

CSF:
- Running street shop near the LMG building with lttstore merch, but for each merch u need suffer a punishment or challenge to get it:
1)  Riding a bike blindfolder
2) If size is small - eat 10 muffins in 5 minutes
3) Show 10 mems in 1 minute

SIDE SLEEPERS

Hi guys. When Linus is reviewing headphones etc he often mentions their uses in bed for side sleepers. I am one of those people who use in ear headphone religiously for side sleeping. There is an ocean of people with the same challenge. With Linus's personal interest in the topic it would make a great video for people like me with sore ears in the mornings. 

In fact, I challenge him to beat my favourite side sleeper in ear headphones. (Boss Sleepbuds) don't count as they are limited to small audio bank of sounds.

Bluetooth version : eBay item 133875665128

Wired version : Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0832K9P66/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_ZBYJEXXG6EZW6R82TEDE

I know you are getting ready to do the big Steam Deck review. Unfortunately, it looks like it could take months to a year to get one.

I am hoping that you can do a comparison of the Steam Deck, Ayaneo Next/pro, and the OneXPlayer AMD/Intel. For those that don’t want to wait, and are crazy enough to purchase something that costs twice as much.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Linus, this is Ash from India. I recently saw your Sony Linkbuds review on Short Circuit. It is awesome to know the price of such a nice product. Well.. I want you to review this wired headphone too if possible. Though you'll have to import it from amazon.in, still...
Headphone 1: BoAt Bassheads 910- https://www.amazon.in/Boat-910-Lightweight-Hands-free-Headphones/dp/B07KP5YLLX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3G6S6BRIWX33H&keywords=boat+bassheads+910&qid=1645070817&sprefix=boat+bassheads+91%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-3

I currently use it, and this is a super budget headphone, it's like 13.5 CAD.
I still don't expect that you'd review it cause importing it would be a mess... but hey trying is good. Right?

Update...

BoAt Basshead is available on eBay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/133979986306?hash=item1f31d45982:g:9m0AAOSw16FhztwJ

Thank you!

BLOATWARE

The amount of users having performance issues due to bloatware is starting to piss me off,i think you should do a video about it.

A lot of users here on the forums have so much crap open in the background,but they don't close it because they say that they need it to be open all the time.

They can close that stuff before they game and open it after they are done gaming,but they don't do that.

The most common culprit is Google Chrome (It depends on how many tabs are open and what is in those tabs)

I guess that it's common to have YouTube videos,the LTT forums,and social media stuff open in some of those tabs.

But usually Chrome is not the only think that they leave open in the background,people leave all sorts of stuff open.

It's not hard to imagine people having 2 different RGB software open in the background,together with Chrome,Steam,Discord,MSI Afterburner and messaging apps like WhatsApp and Signal on top of the Windows bloatware.

I think it would be reasonable to test it on a quad core (with HT),6 core (with HT) and 8 core (with HT) CPUs.

After all quad cores have the highest market share among steam users.

A GTX 1080 Ti would be a reasonable GPU to pair with those CPUs. 

Here is an example i encountered this week:

They uploaded a gameplay footage with that issue:

Here is how that CPU + GPU combo is supposed to perform (and that's at Ultra settings):

At first it may seem like a severe bottleneck,but when you look how it performs in other machines with the same CPU + GPU combo you will see that it's not the case.

It's just bloatware.

On a daily weekly basis there are dozens of users who open threads asking for help for issues that are caused by bloatware.

NOTE:

It's important to note that i am talking about both the bloatware that comes with Windows,and bloatware that is user installed and stays open in the background.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

As gamers we focus mostly on video (resolution, fps, mutli-monitors, etc), while it is assumed you are using a single simple audio solution (headphones or speakers). I have two video requests: 

1.  Dig into the various common audio options/connections available today, the pros/cons of each, including value, complexity, quality, etc.  This should cover everything from headphones/earbuds (bluetooth, 3.5mm input), to small speakers and soundbars (3.5mm & optical?), to full blown surround/receivers systems?

2.  With the growth of VR, sim racing, streaming, etc, setups often have multiple audio outputs/inputs that need to be swapped between, or mixed/used simultaneously.  My gaming/racing rig currently has 4 audio outputs and 3 audio inputs that are all used at different times, sometimes simultaneously.  That's (1) small 2 channel speakers at my main high res/fps monitor, (2) wireless gaming headset for multiplayer, (3) Rift Headphones for VR / Racing, (4) Soundbar connected to the Racing setup's [separate] monitor.  Sometimes you want audio coming/going from just one of those solutions.  But sometimes you want the audio in both the VR Headphones, AND the Soundbar for the people watching, for example.  These are the sorts of settings you don't want to have to be fiddling with at the Windows or Application level every time you do something.  The only solution I've found is Voicemeeter Banana, but there have to be other solutions besides this free software?  Maybe a physical audio mixer, but that can't handle some kinds of devices?  I'm at a loss as to how this isn't talked about more within the Windows / Gaming community.  Make a video diving into some of the best options/methods, pros and cons of managing multiple audio devices at once.  PLEASE.

This little guy claims to take on 140W. Found on Tom's Hardware article which they claim could handle a i9-12900k (they acknowledge that it won't turbo clock for indefinite periods of time, but rather that it won't overheat).

Would like to see this in a open air test bench (as a precursor to potentially trying it in a mini ATX build).  

202221897525.jpg

Model: HP400S

Seeing as how the i9-12900K base TDP is 125W it ain't much wiggle room much less the 241W turbo inferno.

In the review of A100 Linus said that they won't buy this card... but I'm sure they will review it if somebody lend it to them 

A different Version of Running a YouTube business is easy with yvonne's perspective because no one releases how important her work is , Respect for yvonne 

Build a steam deck (or valve index) from scratch using replacement parts. Use donor parts and 3d printed parts only as needed.