Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
2 hours ago, gloop said:

Source?

You can’t 4 way SLI any 2000 series card game decor for some workloads so it would be a waste. 

So you really think Nvidia is going to NOT go PCIE4?

When AMD is clearly pushing so hard for it. 

Like why the hell would AMD push so hard to make pcie4 a thing on their cpu and mobo manufacturing

AND NOT at the same time implement pcie4 in their next gen graphics card stack? 

Nvidia is going for 24gb ram because they have to brute force they way to the top because they cant compete with amd power efficiency.

Only way forward is pcie4 and nvidia knows it. they want a piece of that pie. 

or, they got preasured by intel to stick with pcie3, beause intel cant grow up and get their stuff together and make pcie4 a thing

could you imagine "Pcie3 ready" on the side of the box of your next purchase?

like you could go back to 2008 with marketing at that point. 

My friend and I have been trying to figure out if you can tell if there is a difference between playing a controller, e.g. Xbox One controller, on a PC vs. a console.

I do not think there is a difference between the feel/perception of using a controller with a PC vs Console, but he says that there is definitely a difference and the reason why he prefers playing on Xbox over his PC, despite having a decent PC as well.

I understand that there can be a difference depending on the drivers for a controller on PC vs console, but I would not expect there to be a difference for an Xbox controller.

Maybe have a blind test with multiple mainstream controllers (first/third party) with a console, then connected to a PC with wireless then over wired and see if people can tell the difference.

Linus, get that investigator cap on already and let's debunk some internet business scams!

Another one that goes by tavsteam () com might be hard to find the actual website in google, but it only reads on the website, with some further links below.

MUST WATCH VIDEO!

We Are Only Allowing One Company Per Area For our Membership 
DON'T MISS OUT!

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Create a Video covering Epic Games/Fortnite vs Apple and the problems Floatplane is experiencing with the iOS app. It was covered in a podcast but I feel it deserves front and center attention to raise awareness and possibly help Epic games success against Apple. 

Would be great to see a vid on monitor sizes and what sizes work best for different use cases

2 hours ago, Strider1974 said:

Would be great to see a vid on monitor sizes and what sizes work best for different use cases

That's entirely personal preference...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

How about if Linus could make the DIY Perks' invisible PC?

Just receive notification from kickstarter about a Keyboard that serve as a track pad with a quite large sensor underneath the keys. Might be too early for this but it kind of cool for keyboard mouse real estate.

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

That's entirely personal preference...

That is a big piece of it but but it is a question that you need to answer when buying a monitor and LTT has never covered this. Most people have to compromise when buying a monitor and size is part of this, do I get the absolute best 27" or would I be better off getting an 32" or even an ultrawide with lower specs

10 hours ago, Strider1974 said:

That is a big piece of it but but it is a question that you need to answer when buying a monitor and LTT has never covered this. Most people have to compromise when buying a monitor and size is part of this, do I get the absolute best 27" or would I be better off getting an 32" or even an ultrawide with lower specs

Again only you can know what you like and what is most important to you to be able to figure out a good compromise for yourself...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Obviously the general public can’t build their own laptop, but maybe you guys can... in a way... How about you use the smallest form factor things you can get and try to build the most mobile device possible. You could use that short noctua cooler, ram without heat spreaders (or laptop ram if you can find an adapter?) and a ultra-mega-super-deluxe-mini-itx mobo. I don’t think you could fit a dGPU in there, but considering the fact that you are building a PC inside of a desk, I don’t know what’s possible with modding.

AND maybe you could use that portable screen that ASUS makes.

There’s my idea. It’s amazing. No question. Completely flawless. Don’t reread.

Can you do a review on why there are no USB C Hubs.  as in Hubs with lots of USB C ports like 4 or 7 or 10 USB C ports? From 1 TB port?  with the way everything is swiutching to USB C  I'm kind of In need of this product,  and the closest I can find is a product made in germany called an ICY Box  IB-HUB-1429-CPD but it actually only gives me 3 ports and a PD port (Power Delivery), and as far as I can tell it's only available in the EU.  Anyway I thought it might be a good topic for you guys.  Maybe you can find some and do some reviews of a product catigory that is actually in need and no one can find.  Mac users are clamoring for these things. I'm a pc user and I need one too.

You may have already done this but I think a video showing what happens when hardware is bottlenecked should be a good video. Seems like people are so afraid of causing bottlenecks in their systems they don't want to upgrade but if you throw a graphics card in your system with a CPU that can't handle it, the bottlenecking won't make it worse than not having the good card, just not as good as the card can be without it.

So start with a Ryzen 1600x or something and a GTX 1060, then upgrade to a RTX2080ti or 3080 when they come out. I feel like people actually think the bottleneck will be so bad the performance will be WORSE than having a GTX1060 but I think that's very wrong and causes a lot of people to question when or what to upgrade.

Also, how about another power supply video where you OVER build the PSU. I've seen so many comments where people are saying "you spent too much" when they have an 850 watt psu saying a 550 would work, but will the 850 hurt something? Will the efficiency be worse than with the 550? I'm sure other channels have done these but it's always a valid question especially when new CPUs and GPUs come out.

13 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Again only you can know what you like and what is most important to you to be able to figure out a good compromise for yourself...

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I see your point but my opinion is that different sizes have strengths and weaknesses for different use cases, especially when you add resolution, response time and color specs to the mix. LTT has many videos on the other aspects of monitors but nothing which addresses size considerations.

Hi,
Would like to see Linus and Anthony review Linuxfx /
Windowsfx 10. 
How long can the average user be fooled into thinking this is Windows 10?

Linuxfx / Windowsfx 10: A Linux Distro that is *almost* Identical to Windows 10 and works better in some ways.
Under the hood (or should I say theme), it's Linux (Ubuntu).

- Cinnamon 4.6
- MS Windows .exe amd .msi compatible by double click
- Pbis and Closed in directories (CID) for Active Directory
- Linuxfx Core tools (control panel and others tools)
- Wine + Linuxfx tools for .MSI and .EXE double click easy
- Samba + Linuxfx network tools for simple network

Lets hope it doesn't get nuked into the ground by Micro$oft's army of lawyers😅

More info + downloadhttps://windowsfx.org/index.php/sistemas-operacionais/windowsfx-lts

Screenshots

Linuxfx 10: A Smart, Easy Way to Transition From Windows | LinuxInsider

More in spoiler

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

LinuxFx-3.jpg

zN3pHnnbubTBrhvXWxLzZY-1200-80.jpg

Windowsfx Operational System

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

1592833712_840_560-840x500.jpg

LinuxFx-4.jpg

LinuxFx-5.jpg

Cheers, 
Zafpyr.

With some countries trying to cut ties with China in some aspect, how about a build video using components NOT made in China?

Well, the inspiration for this idea of mine actually came a few months back. Just suppose you're someone who is not only a gamer, but is also really passionate about art & you decide "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I could actually have my own gaming chair but with some custom art or a custom design on it?" Pretty interesting idea, huh? There's only 1 problem: from what I have researched & learned over the past couple of months, I haven't yet been able to find any manufacturers or companies who can do this upon request which really both surprised & disappointed me.

But it got me to thinking, "So far, there hasn't been video content about this, & you tend to get mixed results if you were to search it online. Why not just have this concept passed onto the LTT/LMG team & see what they say you're options are if you want it done?" I'm totally floored that this topic hasn't been talked about more, but I do think it's an interesting concept if it's something you're into. 

I would really appreciate it if you guys share the crap out of this post so that someone on the team would actually notice this & hopefully make a video about it! 

I think the reason it doesn’t happen is there’s no good cheap way to do it.

The problem with sitting on images is wear. Paintings aren’t that thick and the thickest printing is screen printing which is even thinner. You could start with white cloth and dye it, but that creates transfer issues.  There is wax resist to minimize that, which is an African technique, but it has serious accuracy problems and has to be done freehand.  So expensive, wiggly limited color. Vinyl paint is flexible but notorious for flaking. The traditional solution is sewn patterns.  This has severe limitations and is also really expensive.  Maybe print on the back of clear vinyl and use that to cover the chair? Won’t breathe well and will look cheesy.  Probably the least bad solution for mass production.  For a one off bring a chair to an artist you like, have them work in vinyl paint, and then do a realy really heavy clear coat over it maybe.  It won’t last much longer than the clear coat takes to wear away though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I think the reason it doesn’t happen is there’s no good cheap way to do it.

The problem with sitting on images is wear. Paintings aren’t that thick and the thickest printing is screen printing which is even thinner. You could start with white cloth and dye it, but that creates transfer issues.  There is wax resist to minimize that, which is an African technique, but it has serious accuracy problems and has to be done freehand.  So expensive, wiggly limited color. Vinyl paint is flexible but notorious for flaking. The traditional solution is sewn patterns.  This has severe limitations and is also really expensive.  Maybe print on the back of clear vinyl and use that to cover the chair? Won’t breathe well and will look cheesy.  Probably the least bad solution for mass production.  For a one off bring a chair to an artist you like, have them work in vinyl paint, and then do a realy really heavy clear coat over it maybe.  It won’t last much longer than the clear coat takes to wear away though

Not a bad idea I suppose. But to clear, I never implied that the artwork/design should be done on the bottom part (where you sit) unless you so wished. More ideally, the design/art would be done on the back, front & sides.

Edited by Kjennings92

You can do this pretty easily, it's just not worth the cost for most people and it's so niche you won't find a company that specializes in just that. An embroidery shop can take the cover off the chair and apply a lasting print for you. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You can do this pretty easily, it's just not worth the cost for most people and it's so niche you won't find a company that specializes in just that. An embroidery shop can take the cover off the chair and apply a lasting print for you. 

True, but the point can be easily made that some people would simply want it done for them. Like if you weren't very good at art for example.

One sits on the back too. Or rests ones back on it.  Wears just as bad.  I just remembered an old technique involving painting on silk with very thick dyes.  Old technique.  19th century. French. Can’t remember the name. Also silk isn’t cheap and doesn’t wear great. If you mean the back of the back, just about anything would work.  Screen printing on canvas, a number of ink jet systems, all kinds of stuff. Might be able to do screen printed heat transfers. The result isn’t that different than a printed t-shirt. Still wear problems.  Also while a line screen can be done the line screen is super chunky. Might work for say golden age superheroes. This are supposed to be done with super chunky like screen.  Block spot color would beat any gradation, so cartoons would work better than painting style stuff. Machine knitting maybe?  That has possibilities. Real limit on pixilation though. With that you could but it anywhere because the color goes all the way through. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

One sits on the back too. Or rests ones back on it.  Wears just as bad.  I just remembered an old technique involving painting on silk with very thick dyes.  Old technique.  19th century. French. Can’t remember the name. Also silk isn’t cheap and doesn’t wear great. If you mean the back of the back, just about anything would work.  Screen printing on canvas, a number of ink jet systems, all kinds of stuff. Might be able to do screen printed heat transfers. The result isn’t that different than a printed t-shirt. Still wear problems.  Also while a line screen can be done the line screen is super chunky. Might work for say golden age superheroes. This are supposed to be done with super chunky like screen.  Block spot color would beat any gradation, so cartoons would work better than painting style stuff. Machine knitting maybe?  That has possibilities. Real limit on pixilation though. With that you could but it anywhere because the color goes all the way through. 

Of course, i'm sure the argument can be made that there would be some people who just want something that's high-quality like & that would last. Can't says I blame them though. ;)

16 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

True, but the point can be easily made that some people would simply want it done for them. Like if you weren't very good at art for example.

Right. Which am embroidery shop can do. There isn't really a reason for LTT to cover it though 🤷🏻‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red