Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

you guys should do a New Ultimate RGB build since now theres RGB ssd's RGB 24 pin and 6pin wires,and well everything that was RGB is now better RGB with the introduction of Addressable RGB,maybe even throw some EL wire in the mix LOL,Even more Ultimate RGB Build!!!!

Is it possible to store installation files on a server and then install the software on the local PC without downloading the entire package first? So the system would download the files as needed and put them on the RAM instead of the hard drive/SSD. The idea is that if your installation file are pulled from a server and put into the RAM then the installation could be faster because the hard drive/SSD won't be reading the installation files and writing files at the same time, it would just be writing them.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I actually have two requests, one is how do you build a podcast studio Linus is covered things like microphones and whatnot but what about video production what about controlling cameras while recording what about the cameras themselves how do they get it up on the web ETC... TECH TV Did a three-part series and it was completely different than from what I have seen other podcasters doing however they had the money to build a $5 million studio. 

The other thing I would really like to see is all this talk about Stadia and Microsoft X cloud and others, I would really love to see what a video generating server looks like what is a gaming server when when all the graphics are done server side what sort of equipment do they use what does it look like how many petabytes processing power does the cloud have for graphics It would be really neat if Linus could go on site to one of these high-end gaming server farms. 

Update on the workshop of Alex. Make a blog on making something with those machines or Linus welding!

I'm not sure if this has been done before or if this is even an interesting topic, but here it is anyways:

What happens if you mix RAM sticks from various manufacturers? Assuming that the clock speeds are the same and the version is the same (not suggesting mixing ddr3 & 4 for example) is there any reason not to use corsair and hyperx memory in the same build aside from just aesthetics? Or perhaps even RAM sticks with different clock speeds. I would assume that different speed RAM wouldn't work normally, but maybe it's all somebody has and if there is a way to get them to work together it might be useful to know. 

FYI: I haven't done any research on this. I don't know if this would make an interesting video or not. I just realized that you don't usually see anyone with mix n match RAM sticks so I wondered why not.

@featherwolf

Your thread was merged.

Please be careful when creating a new thread.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

33 minutes ago, featherwolf said:

I would assume that different speed RAM wouldn't work normally, but maybe it's all somebody has and if there is a way to get them to work together it might be useful to know. 

I have mixed different DDR4 ram speeds and brands with success, the speed of the faster ram stick will be reduced to the speed of the slower, but this may not work for all brands and types.

It would be funny though to see a ghetto pc build with 4 different brands of ram sticks in the motherboard.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

45 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

@featherwolf

Your thread was merged.

Please be careful when creating a new thread.

Thanks and apologies!

20 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

I have mixed different DDR4 ram speeds and brands with success, the speed of the faster ram stick will be reduced to the speed of the slower, but this may not work for all brands and types.

It would be funny though to see a ghetto pc build with 4 different brands of ram sticks in the motherboard.

Ah, makes sense! Good to know it does work! That would be pretty funny. I guess they missed a trick when they did their "ugliest PC" video. Haha

23 minutes ago, featherwolf said:

Good to know it does work!

Yes, but not all the time, some don't work together. Also,  JayzTwoCents did a video on how not to build a pc, or something like that and had mixed ram sticks with no issues.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Recently I found that I can order Logitech products from aliexpress, they have many positive reviews, but still seems strange for me, make a video about it?

Too many LTT channels? Why not add one more

Something like LTT complaints channel. A channel about bad products and complaints. Does not have to cover all problems but something that affects most people. Like the horrendous playback of hdr content on samsung phones. Seriously, they advertise their phones as hdr and they don't fix it.

Reaching out to companies about their products is really hard. You send an email/message then they reply with "thank you for reaching out to us. We have sent this to our developers." And then never hear from then again.

Even after a year, the problem is still there. YouTube tech channels have huge following and there will be a huge chance companies will listen to them.

1 hour ago, arch017 said:

Too many LTT channels? Why not add one more

Something like LTT complaints channel. A channel about bad products and complaints. Does not have to cover all problems but something that affects most people. Like the horrendous playback of hdr content on samsung phones. Seriously, they advertise their phones as hdr and they don't fix it.

Reaching out to companies about their products is really hard. You send an email/message then they reply with "thank you for reaching out to us. We have sent this to our developers." And then never hear from then again.

Even after a year, the problem is still there. YouTube tech channels have huge following and there will be a huge chance companies will listen to them.

You've already posted a thread for this. There is no reason to post it again.

50 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

You've already posted a thread for this. There is no reason to post it again.

I got a moderator reply to post it here so the LTT can notice it. The thread was closed.

Edit:

Anyway, to answer your comment on that post, I am not talking about bad reviews of products, like trashing it and only mention bad qualities. For example the hdr issue in samsung, it's been their for a long time and they still haven't fixed it yet. Samsung phones have a lot of good qualities. Just some things need to be improved especially if they put it in their advertisement.

So something like the build off between Yvonne and Wifeysauce, but instead its Yvonne and WS VS Linus and Kyle(Or Lyle)

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

You should make a PC that is so RGB that you can grow a plant inside it and call it the carbon neutral PC

I would like to see one on how nontechnical users can build a pc based on the software they actually want to use.  I know you can read the minimum requirements an try to see if all the softwares fall under certain parameters and choose parts according to those requirements.  But that will not tell you, if your really choosing the right parts or if the parts you choose can only run one software at a time or multiple without loosing performance.  I ask because when dealing with 3D and VFX softwares some state they use GPU more than the CPU and vice versa.  Wish there was a site you could just punch in the specs required and it give you the best options.

Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to give a review on a mini PC on Amazon. Please note that I am a fan of y'all's channel not an Amazon affiliate or anything special. I have just been struggling in the decision on whether I should get this or not to help improve my stream quality in my small office.

Partaker Windows 10 Industrial PC, Fanless Mini Desktop Computer with Intel Core Quad Core CPU i7 8550U 8565U, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD,1TB HDD,1xNICs, 4xUSB 3.0, 2xCOM RS232, HDMI,VGA,Wi-Fi

Thank you for reading and again I am a big fan of y'all's channel so keep up the good work :)

more raspberry pi and maker electronics pls!

or @AlexTheGreatish doing interesting things with diy cpu coolers or potatoes

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Hi all,

I would like to see a video about the effect of background services that manage updates on gaming performance and if they're the cause of lag spikes. The internet is full of forum post about people that try to stop, remove or have problems with services. Every one seems to hate them, especially when they when they can't be stopped.

The idea came to me whilst trying to resolve a bug in our ERP system that gets triggered when background services preform updates or send telemetry data. I've noticed that services that update Office 365, Chrome and Adobe (and probably more) have taks scheduled that run and if needed restart the service every hour.

If you ever wondered why Office Click-To-Run.exe keeps starting even when the service set to start manually... Office has scheduled tasks planned to make sure that the service runs al the time... They even found a way to revert any changes to the tasks and when you delete them... it just creates new tasks ?

When the Office Click-to-Run service gets launched by these tasks there is a small lag spike and frame dip in Insurgency Sandstorm. So I've set OCTR to start, run 2 minutes then end the service, wait for a half minute and repeat (same method as how I found the bug). I can see  the ping and frame rate spike a little bit. I have 32gb ram with a 3800x and a GTX 1080 so I'm flabbergasted that it's noticeable. 

Maybe setup a low, mid and high end PC and set multiple background update services to launch simultaneously during a benchmark. Adobe, Autodesk, Chrome, Office 365 and Solidworks have services that can and will run updates while gaming.

I couldn't care less about the privacy. The fact is that applications come with services. BUT I freaking hate that I have no say in how or when they run. 

Kind regards,

TB.

ps: Install all the games and the programs to get the services. Make sure the services don't launch or update on login or boot-up. Then time the triggers so you can time them with the benchmark. Disconnect the drive and make a few copies. Wait a few weeks to make sure there are updates and start testing.

A PC built by the forum, like a poll for things like AMD VS Intel and so on

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Hello, i would love to see a video about virtualisations. Diferences (pros and cons) between ProxMox and for example Xen (not xenServer) or any other popular platform :) Anthony talked about that a little in a few videos. But detailed video could be usefull and enlightening :)

I think voice assistant alternatives like Mycroft could be quite interesting.

Are they any good?

In what ways are they (maybe) better than Google Assistant/Alexa/Siri/Bixby?

I for myself never heard of any other computer voice apart from these four (except maybe Cortana and Jibo) until i stumbeled upon Mycroft and realized that there are actually other computerized butlers out there. 
I think it's quite the same for a lot of people.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hello

I know there are a lot of us here who are both gamers and content creators. 

I also know you have made a couple of videos regarding builds for content creators but I think it's time for a new one.

So, my question is could you please make a video about a content creator/light gaming build on a 1500€ budget including monitor?

Thanks!

Viv