Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Radeon VII does not support crossfire. SuperMicro does make multiple X-chipset boards that are green/blue and support SLI though. 

Ahh, yeah its weird. Comments on the internet claim it is supported, but the tech press says it isn't. It may be they are in DirectX12 multiGPU  and don't even realize it.

Good to know about the X299 ones.

HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 15z

It looks to be a nice value with a r5 3550H with a GTX 1650 or GTX 1660ti

or R7 3750H with gtx 1660ti

with the option of a 120hz screen

the one issues I see is hp love of small batteries.

Also maybe review HP probook line. They no have both intel and AMD options for good prices.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

hackintosh guide, dont know about the lawsuit side of things tho

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Could there be a/more videos looking at budget desktops for light office work (like in the $70-150 range)? My parents don't do much with their office computer, but it's very important that I help them choose one that has the build quality and parts to last a long time, look decent enough in their office, have the IO that they need, run nice enough to handle sometimes many open processes and light image editing, be relatively quiet, and hopefully never need maintenance. Handling multiple monitors well for working from home is a bonus. Of course, since they aren't computer buffs they won't need anything really powerful, and they're always drawn to the cheapest computer that advertises "i5" without knowing that those can be quite old now.

I guess what I'm asking for is a video I can point them towards when it becomes that time to get a new budget office computer so that they (or I) can choose with confidence among options that suit different needs (blu-ray? wifi? bluetooth? sd card reader? security?).
Thanks!

They've kind of already done it with their 2 sleeper builds. Modern hardware tucked inside old school cases with old school peripherals from memory.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:32 AM, VegetableStu said:

yeah it's pretty hard to find PC hardware reviews that's tested on recording studio software o_o (probably due to just how low the recommended specs of any main program are)

maybe if you could explain how would each part of the PC affect the performance of the entire editing workflow? (e.g. (just guessing) RAM for previews, CPU frequency for realtime playback, CPU core count for multiple effects/filters, etc)

otherwise you'd end up like what logical increments are suggesting for their top-end build: a gaming PC with 64GB of RAM.

Music production tends to rely on very powerful cpus to load Instrument libraries, high unison polyphonic synthesizers, effects and it helps rendering speeds.

Ram tends to be important for whenever you need to scroll back in the timeline and play a section full of midi clips and audio files quickly enough.

SSD tends to be important to load the samples in instrument libraries quicker and also load samples faster when you drag and drop an audio file in the timeline.

what I don't know is how multithreaded cpus can improve or make the performance worse.

or what speed of ram or what cpu should I choose.

or what ssd is the quickest

and what cooling solution should I choose to make everything really cool so I don't Experience thermal throttling.

5 hours ago, ThePoke said:

Could there be a/more videos looking at budget desktops for light office work (like in the $70-150 range)? My parents don't do much with their office computer, but it's very important that I help them choose one that has the build quality and parts to last a long time, look decent enough in their office, have the IO that they need, run nice enough to handle sometimes many open processes and light image editing, be relatively quiet, and hopefully never need maintenance. Handling multiple monitors well for working from home is a bonus. Of course, since they aren't computer buffs they won't need anything really powerful, and they're always drawn to the cheapest computer that advertises "i5" without knowing that those can be quite old now.

I guess what I'm asking for is a video I can point them towards when it becomes that time to get a new budget office computer so that they (or I) can choose with confidence among options that suit different needs (blu-ray? wifi? bluetooth? sd card reader? security?).
Thanks!

best option for that is a few year old PC with an SSD added.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 hours ago, scuff gang said:

hackintosh guide, dont know about the lawsuit side of things tho

They have done at least 5 vids on this so far I think, including the current Hack Pro series.  

33 minutes ago, daChurchPcGuy said:

They have done at least 5 vids on this so far I think, including the current Hack Pro series.  

oh oof just havent seen them ig 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 12/5/2019 at 7:32 PM, VegetableStu said:

yeah it's pretty hard to find PC hardware reviews that's tested on recording studio software o_o (probably due to just how low the recommended specs of any main program are)

maybe if you could explain how would each part of the PC affect the performance of the entire editing workflow? (e.g. (just guessing) RAM for previews, CPU frequency for realtime playback, CPU core count for multiple effects/filters, etc)

otherwise you'd end up like what logical increments are suggesting for their top-end build: a gaming PC with 64GB of RAM.

There is another issue facing DAW users.  I upgraded to an asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 and Ryzen  5 3600 for my system and it wont detect my PCIe firewire 400 card.  There are so many FW400 audio interfaces out there and it seems between new chipsets and windows 10 "fixes" that seem to be closing the curtains on old Firewire.  This may seem trivial to non DAW users but when some of us have $3K and upward audio interfaces relying on FW400 (with a TI chipset - another quirk that audio interfaces run on the TI chipset  but not the VIA chipset) this could mean big investments in new hardware when the existing gear is still more than serviceable...  So maybe a video on how we get around these problems???? 

studio-part.jpg

12 hours ago, Shorts Racing said:

There is another issue facing DAW users.  I upgraded to an asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 and Ryzen  5 3600 for my system and it wont detect my PCIe firewire 400 card.  There are so many FW400 audio interfaces out there and it seems between new chipsets and windows 10 "fixes" that seem to be closing the curtains on old Firewire.  This may seem trivial to non DAW users but when some of us have $3K and upward audio interfaces relying on FW400 (with a TI chipset - another quirk that audio interfaces run on the TI chipset  but not the VIA chipset) this could mean big investments in new hardware when the existing gear is still more than serviceable...  So maybe a video on how we get around these problems???? 

studio-part.jpg

have you tried older versions of windows in a virtual machine? 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

I've been following this youtube channel called 'node'. They have been following up on this new VR game called Boneworks. 

This is supposed to be a big leap in VR. Great physics, gameplay. 

It launched this week on steam. It think this could make a funny video :)

Put the sub zero cooler in an air tight chamber. Pull it into a vaccum and recharge with nitrogen to avoid condensation OR maybe put it in the mineral oil?

Hello,

I think that a video about drivers could be really useful for a lot of folks here. You have plenty of awesome build guides but very little about what to do after Windows is installed. A lot of friend I'm helping with IT are always afraid about messing up driver installation. Fearing that they'll run their PC with sub-optimal performances for years just because they had not installed the appropriate driver in the first place.

For a few month now I can't help myself but wonder how you guys manage to change components in system you are testing (MB, CPU, GPU...) while keeping windows on the same drive.

• Do you guys re-download and install component's drivers after every change ?
  • How do you get drivers ? What I usually do is downloading from MB's manufacturer website, but maybe you have a faster solution.
  • Sometimes MB's manufacturer's Download Center offers multiple drivers for the same feature (storage, network, audio, wifi, BT ...), how to choose the good version to download ?
  • I have seen people installing their drivers from auto-detection third party utilities, is it safe? I would bet it isn't.
  • I have also seen people installing their drivers from Windows's Device Manager, is it a good practice ?

Ultimately, my question is : do you reinstall windows and/or drivers whenever a component changes in a system? And if yes, where do you get them ? (Especially when it's MB or CPU)

Thanks for your amazing work on your YT channels. I've learned so much through all your videos !

Regards

Socra

Typical way is "let windows install everything it finds, install the GPU and anything that's missing (usually nothing) manually".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

have you tried older versions of windows in a virtual machine? 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Will give that a shot.  Truth be told I would prefer a Win7 environment.  Most audio people I talk to are hanging on to Win7 as long as possible.

The PCIe issue with X570 seems to be deeper than just legacy cards like FW400.  There have been a few bios updates due to BSOD with some graphics cards too.  Last bios for my machine was 3 weeks ago and it did fix a graphics issue I had.  So maybe this gen4 is causing issues?

And if this issue doesnt get resolved soon its back to building an intel machine with old PCI slots.... 

18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Typical way is "let windows install everything it finds, install the GPU and anything that's missing (usually nothing) manually".

I see. I'm always wondering whether if windows actually get drivers for the specific component or if it just picks the first generic driver it finds.

It gets a generic driver for the actual chip/chipset that does the job on the device, that is not "vendor-customised" (aka bloated) like the one you'd get from the board manufacturer.

It could be an older but "tested reliable" version, hence why for stuff that gains nothing from having the latest it's usually good to use the default one. 

Your sound chipset, LAN adapter, WiFi card won't really give you anything new with a newer driver so unless there's an actual problem to solve there's no point using a newer version. A graphics card on the other hand definitely does, so there you want to install the latest yourself.

For a printer you also typically want the vendor driver. The Windows driver will let you print, but usually there's a bunch of extra control you can get out of the vendor driver if needed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 hours ago, Shorts Racing said:

Will give that a shot.  Truth be told I would prefer a Win7 environment.  Most audio people I talk to are hanging on to Win7 as long as possible.

The PCIe issue with X570 seems to be deeper than just legacy cards like FW400.  There have been a few bios updates due to BSOD with some graphics cards too.  Last bios for my machine was 3 weeks ago and it did fix a graphics issue I had.  So maybe this gen4 is causing issues?

And if this issue doesnt get resolved soon its back to building an intel machine with old PCI slots.... 

Update - New Bios released yesterday.  3 days since last Bios update.  3 weeks to the one before that.  Still no joy.

Find businesses big and small who are actually purchasing multiple top-end Mac Pro's or otherwise equivalent $50k desktop machines. I'm really interested in hearing about their use cases and what factors they considered when making the purchase. How do they benefit from Xeon processors and ECC memory? What about >1TB of memory? How does having desktop machines compare to utilizing servers/clusters/cloud computing? 

Inspired by this thread

Hi @Slick, I'd rather see you review the Xbox Series X instead of Linus considering that you did so good in your One X review. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

After having an unexpectedly terrible RMA experience with ASUS and learning ASUS sucks at Warranties, RMA, and general customer support, it seems like a "Review Companies' RMA Process" Series might be in order. Perhaps done in a similar manner to that PreBuilt PC Secret Shopper series? 

In contrast my EVGA RMA experience was great. They were incredibly helpful and accomodating. They were super understanding, and did their best to accommodate an awkward situation within the limits of their systems. 

What was really galling about the ASUS experience is that their phone loop bragged they have "Best In Class" Warranty and Customer Support. 

Which is a complete fabrication.

EVGA puts them to shame with default 3 year warranties, excellent customer support, and they have a freaking Step Up Program!

Customers should know what to expect if something goes wrong. In general Warranty and RMA process gets little mention in most reviews. Which is interesting because as much we expect things to simply work, sometimes the defect can take time to show up and present itself. And then when it does it can possibly shut a person down and leave them at the mercy of uncaring and profit driven RMA system.

It's fascinating experiencing both extremes personally. EVGA goes above and beyond. While ASUS barely meets the minimum legal requirements, and at times doesn't even meet them.

Search "ASUS RMA" and "ASUS Warranty" on Reddit if you want to read horror story after horror story of RMAs gone nightmare. It's insane. Some of these companies need to be checked.

You guys should look into if a RTX 2070 Super is SLI compatible with the old RTX 2080 since the die is the same and the board is also

Maybe you guys could bring back 'viewers choice'? Do you guys have the affilate links anymore? idk, I kinda think its cool.

LTT,

Please do a video comparing the best, sub-$100, Android TV boxes. I saw your Mi Box S review and other than the 4K streaming it looks like a good choice.  I'm just tired of my Amazon 4K sticks issues, like having to reboot them once a day. Roku has no bluetooth so that's a non starter.

Requirements:

Bluetooth

Prime Video

NetFlix

YouTube

Emby and Plex clients

Wired Ethernet option

Chromecast(?)

Google Play store would be nice too

So, basically, I'm wanting you to do my homework for me!