Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A round up of fanless laptops, perhaps under the theme of "What laptop can you use in the library?"

Since gaming and video editing performance aren't going to be great in a passively cooled chip it should probably focus on size, weight, keyboard, screen and battery life since these laptops would be used for writing and web browsing. Perhaps even compare what you can get from choosing a performance oriented Y series or a budget oriented N series passively cooled CPU.

1 hour ago, Kedohawyr said:

A round up of fanless laptops, perhaps under the theme of "What laptop can you use in the library?"

Since gaming and video editing performance aren't going to be great in a passively cooled chip it should probably focus on size, weight, keyboard, screen and battery life since these laptops would be used for writing and web browsing. Perhaps even compare what you can get from choosing a performance oriented Y series or a budget oriented N series passively cooled CPU.

This could be really interesting! Make this happen!

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

I would like to see a video showing the accuracy of online calculators. (Bottleneck and PSU)

There is a lot of talk that some of these are inaccurate but people still use them all the time. I would like to know just HOW accurate/inaccurate they are? 
One reason to do this would be to help new-ish people joining the community to see what kind of tools and references they can use online while building. Another would be to finally shut everyone up about it. 

With the new RTX Supers and AMD GPUs coming out, I'm sure there's someone out there with an i3 just waiting to bottleneck themselves. lol

Plus, you could make 2 videos out of it and plug the "Is Your Gaming Rig Being Bottlenecked??" video you did. 

15 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

I would like to see a video showing the accuracy of online calculators. (Bottleneck and PSU)

I'll go on the specific psu calculator you selected. it's accurate in some way, but nowhere near where it should be, because it takes a worst case and even some myths in calculation (this applies to some others too, both outervision based (seasonic) or not outervision based)

they take for example a 10 year old CWT, and calculate with that, then they add in capacitor degredation (which is a myth) and add 50 watts or so for errors and/or headroom

this is highly inaccurate by like 200-ish watts

I personally find MSI's and Be Quiet's more accurate

this is also the same with manufacturer recommended wattages, it's counted as a worst case

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll go on the specific psu calculator you selected. it's accurate in some way, but nowhere near where it should be, because it takes a worst case and even some myths in calculation (this applies to some others too, both outervision based (seasonic) or not outervision based)

they take for example a 10 year old CWT, and calculate with that, then they add in capacitor degredation (which is a myth) and add 50 watts or so for errors and/or headroom

this is highly inaccurate by like 200-ish watts

I personally find MSI's and Be Quiet's more accurate

this is also the same with manufacturer recommended wattages, it's counted as a worst case

I think to be accurate they would need to find several different PSUs with the same wattage and then build out a system in the calculator with that wattage PSU and compare peak power with idle to see if their anywhere clost. Funny enough though, I find that a lot of calculators are actually the same as the PSU one I listed, just hosted on another site. Check it out if you have time. 

10 hours ago, Mbowen said:

think to be accurate they would need to find several different PSUs with the same wattage and then build out a system in the calculator with that wattage PSU and compare peak power with idle to see if their anywhere clost.

to do that well you'd need some serious tools from which I'm sure they don't have. their only valid way would be to do it at a manufacturer

10 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Funny enough though, I find that a lot of calculators are actually the same as the PSU one I listed, just hosted on another site. Check it out if you have time. 

i actually ran the same config through 4 calculators, you might be shocked by how much the outervision shoots out

MSI

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-11-42-542_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.8df576ecb5fa80bea4c112c4bf8c8cc9.png

PcPartPicker

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-37-14-576_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.1c4c98e92f75976297bf86f6c97ea598.png

Be Quiet (without oc)

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-16-52-709_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.33dfdb6986c5f612faf7bff379b08fbc.png

Be Quiet (with oc)

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-17-07-742_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.11201b657daa84f2ca6b49ab0568e106.png

Outervision:

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-19-23-593_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.3c069340edab88675108d8160a65e473.png

and for fun, i ran it with the oc i currently have applied to my own system:

Screenshot_2019-07-11-16-48-07-381_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.1d1a4961672c3c503deec58e14c3e2b9.png

and i actually run this on a 550w cxm... this would trigger the opp if it was true

1 hour ago, Sushimus said:

I forget what thread someone mentioned it but can we please get a Scrapyard Wars: Server Edition?

with like tesla cards too?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

to do that well you'd need some serious tools from which I'm sure they don't have. their only valid way would be to do it at a manufacturer

i actually ran the same config through 4 calculators, you might be shocked by how much the outervision shoots out

MSI

PcPartPicker

Be Quiet (without oc)

Be Quiet (with oc)

Outervision:

and for fun, i ran it with the oc i currently have applied to my own system:

and i actually run this on a 550w cxm... this would trigger the opp if it was true

Interesting! I often dabble in SFF so I usually use the OEM TDP when calculating what I need. That's a huge variation though. WE NEED A VIDEO! xD

3 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

Interesting! I often dabble in SFF so I usually use the OEM TDP when calculating what I need. That's a huge variation though. WE NEED A VIDEO! xD

you know... there's an easy way

look up reviews with power consumption of the cpu or gpu

cpu+gpu+50=minimal wattage

but as always: quality>>>>>>>>wattage

4 hours ago, Sushimus said:

I forget what thread someone mentioned it but can we please get a Scrapyard Wars: Server Edition?

That could be interesting.

Take Linus's recent video about trying to upgrade their render server and imagine it as a scrapyard challenge: Rather then run a bunch of benchmarks on their completed machine (and get the scoring wrong half way through) they're both given the final files for a project and then it's a tense race were they must rush to their machine, ingest the files, perform the encode and finally upload it (perhaps to a dummy floatplane account) with the one who 'posts' first being the winner.

Just now, Sushimus said:

Maybe, just a general idea that'd be interesting to watch

i'd watch it

I have been wanting to build a HTPC for years since my kids have trashed they dvd player. I would love a segment on HTPC building, specifically I'd love to see a focus on all or even one of these aspects:

-budget htpc build

-hi end htpc build

-the htpc build Linus would trust with kids in the room. (I can imagine this one being especially amusing)

Please help a dad out. Love the shows and proud you are Canadian without being overstated about it.

And if you ever need to come to S. Korea please feel free to contact me and let me know if I can help you out (if that interests you just give me a contact in the reply section for where to send you my contact information).

On 3/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, Slottr said:

Been looking at home security recently and stumbled upon the Wyze cam, I'd be interested in seeing something about that

Budget home security or something along those lines

the only deal breaker for me is the lack of onvif, but they said it's coming soon.

More car reviews. Maybe Tesla Model 3, and the successor to his car the Chevy Bolt (not volt). 

Sleeper PC Challenge for Linus & Co:

Make a sleeper PC out of one of these Hot Wheels PCs, BUT ya also have to find a way to put a better sensor in the mouse (something like a Logitech HERO sensor), put mechanical switches in the keyboard and Frankenstein a high quality pair of speakers into the little Hot Wheels ones.

Bonus Challenge: Make a sleeper monitor too. Maybe you could just make a frame for the PG27UQ that is painted to look just like the original Hot Wheels one kinda like the monitor in this sleeper build: 

D_Qei_OVAAYvDn1.thumb.jpeg.a89dfbdbfcf6d06bdab1fab508d3d2c8.jpeg

A video in regards to the RED camera's storage solution.

What exactly is inside of one of RED's memory cards?

How easily would it be to make a redundant storage solution?

Having seen the camera teardown and reassembly, it seems like the memory card holder is a module in and off itself, so that made me wonder, how hard would it have been for RED to make a two slot version with redundant storage?

Or maybe they have solved that by simply having their memory cards be redundant internally, since that wouldn't after all be hard, and if the camera detects that one half is having a problem, then it would refuse the card. While if one half of the card were to exhibit a flaw post recording, then at least the other half is intact with its copy of the data, thereby always allowing one to read off the contents. Unless both halves were to die. (This is though total speculation on my part. But could explain why all storage issues covered earlier has happened during the mounting of the card to the camera.)

I noticed that the sound quality on your recent video sounds so much better than it usually do. I don't know why, or if it's just me and my gear settings? 

But, perhaps do a video detailing how your video production quality have evolved over the years. What gear you have used, configurations and how you (perhaps mostly brandon and Taran? ? ) How the gear has been utilized for specific purpose and specific types of video.. 

and yes, I know you have talked about it before.. I kinda want to see a indepth full on nerd video on the topic..

cheers from Denmark.

I got an idea for a video. I've watched tons of LTT Videos but have never even heard of anything like this....

So, I was browsing Amazon for GPU prices(gonna build my very first PC for my first time ever, and I'm super stoked) and I came across something that I thought was just a monitor at first......
Then I read the 'title' of the listing. Apparently it's an AIO PC INSIDE of the monitor(34" and a LIQUID Cooled i7-7700k no less!) and had to click. There's a picture(could be 'shopped for the 'zon) that shows the layout of the GPU and evvverrrryyttthhiiinnggg. I thought the boi's would think it's.... Different, to say the least. Screenshot attached below. The PSU they say to use in the Q&A section is apparently only 415w(less than Nvidias recommended) to power the whole Damn thing. Oh, and did I mention it's housed inside a curved monitor?

Screenshot_20190712-171136.png

Video Suggestion: All-In-One Sleeper PC in a CRT monitor.

Yeah, not really much to explhere. Just cram a gaming PC in a CRT.

its time for NVMe drives in RAID0 on PCIe 4.0 mainboards (without additional extension cards). just how far consumer mainboards can go ?

I know I'm very late here and haven't read these forums much at all. Given that, watching the recent videos on machining equipment really made me interested in what the future in terms of LTT videos has in store. Namely, looking at waterblocks, can you do better with an extremely custom waterblock compared to a "stock" 3D water cooler?  Comparing things, like machining it yourself and doing a professional 3D SLS (or similar) job is interesting also.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

There are these things that extend battery life a lot. 

https://www.batteroo.com/products/aaa-sleeve-15

Batteroo boosted my battery life for my TV Remotes and my friend uses in his Wireless Mouse. I even put them in my dads Apple Keyboard which was crazy. Would love for linus to make a video with statistics. 

There have been a lot of conflicting videos and I trust Linus Tech Tips (Linus Media Group) the most. So please!

Edit they have it for AA batteries and AAA batteries.

What with all the budget network gear claiming 1Gbps performance, and knowing you guys have not only fat Internet pipes, but stout internal networking capabilities and gloriously fast NVME gear all around, i'd love to see a video laying out kind of tiered network performance of a few different Ethernet adapters, switches, and some routers.  

For home use stuff we're generally only talking in the 1Gbps range, but how many off the shelf routers can get close to using that full Gig wan port before they choke? Is that $10 TrendNet switch truly going to give you the same performance as the $30 Netgear at the same port count and speed? Is it worth shelling out $444 for meraki's 8p+2sfp switch?! ?

Maybe even do some craigslist benching on retired commercial gear and see if learning a little will have you outrunning the consumer stuff?

On 7/11/2019 at 6:41 AM, Sushimus said:

This could be really cool.. bring in a few more interesting categories for the build... settle on a competition OS (likely UnRaid)

Most Storage

Fastest Transfer times

Lowest power consumption (idle and loaded)

Then do Most simultaneous Plex streams (1080p and 4k) at some specific settings.

Some more Scrapyard Wars ideas:

- Extreme overlocking: score is based on maximum clock or single thread performance

- Hard to find parts: each team starts with a single component like an X series processor, and then has to find the components to build a system around it

- Fully portable systems: score is based on performance, battery life, and weight