cliffy B tells off oculus complainers

gunsman

Nice blog post by Cliffy B on why the facebook acquisition is a good thing. This complaining has gone on for long enough, time for all of you to get out of your hipster, entitled holes. VR will be mainstream despite what you want because it makes sense. Sure it'll be great for gaming, but it can do so much more.

/endrant

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371/riftbook

"I am all about my emotionally vested interest now." God I love Cliff Bleszinski.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

My motion is still the same, I'm merely waiting for the final product before making full judgments.

Yes, I dislike Facebook and Facebook owning Oculus, God knows everybody does, but we shouldn't make judgments until we see a product to base them on.

I just hope it doesn't kill VR, since Facebook has a thing for killing things I like.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

OP clearly doesn't know what people are upset about...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

More importantly, they needed an ecosystem. IF their system is going to be (hopefully) a dedicated system instead of a (ugh) peripheral they need their version of whatever the app store would be. Your device is only as good as the store and community around it; if users can’t say shut up and take my money, if developers can’t post their work then the device will ultimately flounder. Facebook can assist with this sort of thing, as well as having a multi billion user reach.

This is the dumbest thing I've seen said yet about this whole ordeal. He's actually hoping for a Facebook-based closed ecosystem, not a peripheral you can use with your PC & existing library of games. Having it as peripheral that they support with a marketplace of apps is one thing, having it as a dedicated system is like worst case scenario from a consumer standpoint.

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

I'm not worried about it being mainstream, that'd actually benefit the adoption of vr support in game engines, my concerns are a cut back product to conform to the mainstream audience. Or even changes that weaken the appeal of the product. I'm in the wait and see camp, Facebook will either be the best thing about Occulus. Or the worst

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

This is the dumbest thing I've seen said yet about this whole ordeal. He's actually hoping for a Facebook-based closed ecosystem, not a peripheral you can use with your PC & existing library of games. Having it as peripheral that they support with a marketplace of apps is one thing, having it as a dedicated system is like worst case scenario from a consumer standpoint.

You can't use it with your existing library of games, at least not take full advantage of the system. It needs an ecosystem to help support the consumer product. As it stands now it's fine without one for developers and enthusiasts but a retail version will most definitely need a supported ecosystem of games and apps to succeed - this is uncharted territory.

-snip-

I think the threw up a little bit. I agree with you and your view of the statement.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

The Rift isn't just a gaming device though. Right now it's a gaming peripheral but what about the future? It could possibly survive as a peripheral, but it might have a better chance reaching into more specialized uses as it's own thing. I'm not entirely sure if I agree with Cliffy on that part, but some combination of the two could work. It also doesn't have to be closed. Facebook is big on open source and just more open development in general so I don't think they would turn the Rift into a VR version of iOS.

I have no respect for him, so I don't care what he thinks.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think what people are angry about is the rift is an enthusiasts produce by its current nature. Think about it:

Two high resolution displays

Advanced Capturing for the tracking

This isn't going to run on a device which meets the minimum spec for Facebook. If I was at Facebook I would be aiming to dumb down the device so it reached the most amount of my user base. This is the exact opposite of what the enthusiasts, like me, want.

The average Facebook user does not spent 1000's on hardware. Think what GPU you'd need to drive 2x 1080p... Whilst maintaining latency and high fps to avoid getting sick!

I think what people are angry about is the rift is an enthusiasts produce by its current nature. Think about it:

Two high resolution displays

Advanced Capturing for the tracking

This isn't going to run on a device which meets the minimum spec for Facebook. If I was at Facebook I would be aiming to dumb down the device so it reached the most amount of my user base. This is the exact opposite of what the enthusiasts, like me, want.

The average Facebook user does not spent 1000's on hardware. Think what GPU you'd need to drive 2x 1080p... Whilst maintaining latency and high fps to avoid getting sick!

One display split in half. I hate to tell you this but the Rift would be a miserable failure solely as an enthusiast high-end PC gamer device. Also the Rift is not just a gaming device and I HIGHLY doubt FB is looking to sell it to their current (keyword) Facebook crowd. The Rift has the potential to make them even more money than Facebook itself and that is why they're investing it in. Gaming is nothing but the first, small, step for VR tech.

You can't use it with your existing library of games, at least not take full advantage of the system. It needs an ecosystem to help support the consumer product. As it stands now it's fine without one for developers and enthusiasts but a retail version will most definitely need a supported ecosystem of games and apps to succeed - this is uncharted territory.

Its a monitor that gets strapped to your face and has motion tracking to replace the mouse. What could possibly prevent this from working on an existing library of games. All you would need is the driver to tell your GPU how to split up the images properly, which would need to be done in any case. I see no reason for an ecosystem or a marketplace, these are just excuses to suck money out of people's pockets with micro transactions and force closed source enviroments down our throats.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I don't know who Cliffy B is and I really don't care. I will not be reading what the OP linked. I am entitled to my opinion on what happened with Oculus and I am entitled to not want to buy their product any longer. I don't need to hear what Cliffy B says on the matter whoever the **** that is.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I don't know who Cliffy B is and I really don't care. I will not be reading what the OP linked. I am entitled to my opinion on what happened with Oculus and I am entitled to not want to buy their product any longer. I don't need to hear what Cliffy B says on the matter whoever the **** that is.

Then you'd be one of the many people on the internet who live in an echo chamber, only listening to voices that agree with you. In other words, useless.

OP clearly doesn't know what people are upset about...

Enthusiasts don't often want what makes sense in reality; they want what is "cool", or "awesome" (or "wicked awesome", if you're from New England). As an example, I reference the mythical 144Hz, 2.5K IPS display with G-sync and 10-bit color, for less than $400.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

oh i see people are angry because its going mainstream ?

how stupid of me i thought it was because a great project was being bought by an evil company

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Dear Cliffy B:

When was the last time you worked on ANY game? I thought so, enough of the big corporation chearleadering already, shut the fuck up and code something.

Kind regards,

Gamers everywhere.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lets wait and see what Master Linus and commander Slick have to say about this.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Nice blog post by Cliffy B on why the facebook acquisition is a good thing. This complaining has gone on for long enough, time for all of you to get out of your hipster, entitled holes. VR will be mainstream despite what you want because it makes sense. Sure it'll be great for gaming, but it can do so much more.

/endrant

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371/riftbook

Yes... long enough... the news came out yesterday. 

I don't know who cliffyb is but he can suck my toes. I didn't buy an oculus becasue I want to see ads from facebook. 

Also, from the VERY first part of the article...

First things first - I’ve been very open with the fact that I invested in Oculus at an early round. I stand to make a very sizable chunk of money from this acquisition.

Yea, so... he wants us to stop bitching so he can make more money.

Cliff Bleszinski is a moron, I hate that guy.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I haven't been asking "where's the next facebook"  I've been asking myself WHERE'S THE NEXT UNREAL TOURNAMENT 99 YOU FUCK!

Until we see a final product, i don't really get why everyone is so hyped up negatively. Sure, Facebook is not a gaming company but who knows what the end result might be. If you paid for a DK2, you are getting essentially that. You did not pay for a final product.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Until we see a final product, i don't really get why everyone is so hyped up negatively. Sure, Facebook is not a gaming company but who knows what the end result might be. If you paid for a DK2, you are getting essentially that. You did not pay for a final product.

Personally I'm very sceptical to see what will occur.

And like others have said, I want the whole thing open source. I don't need Facebook having backdoors into my system just because I want to buy a Rift.

most people are angry solely at the fact that facebook bought it

there would be a lot less negativity if google or microsoft bought it than FB

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.