Why aren't AIO gpu coolers more common?

light-v

I know historically aftermarket GPU cooling never was that big. I think this is mostly due air cooling being pretty good already and the added complexity wasn't worth it. If you wanted to upgrade from air you'd go custom loop but that's much more expensive and hard to do. 

With AIOs, the waterblock is small compared to air coolers so mounting shouldn't be as challenging and much cheaper and easier than a custom loop.

Mounting brackets like the Kraken G12 are still very niche which is a shame because I think gpus can benefit a lot from AIOs I mean who doesn't want lower fan speeds on the GPU when gaming without spending a fortune? 

Is this just lack of awareness or am I missing something? 

Frankly, I think it's just market driven. The subgroup of people that actually desire to water cool their GPU is an enthusiast group that is also doing custom water cooling.

Also, there's the issue of not really being able to have two AIOs, given most case layouts. I mean you could choose to air cool your CPU and water cool your GPU, I guess, though that's just weird. Once, you're water cooling both, though, a custom loop makes the most sense.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, light-v said:

I think this is mostly due air cooling being pretty good already

answered it pretty good there

here in the usa... market really limited due to  Asetek

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Also, there's the issue of not really being able to have two AIOs, given most case layouts. I mean you could choose to air cool your CPU and water cool your GPU, I guess, though that's just weird. Once, you're water cooling both, though, a custom loop makes the most sense.

To be fair if I were to choose I'd rather watercool the GPU which is typically noisier and hotter than the CPU when gaming

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

answered it pretty good there

Same applies to CPUs yet AIO liquid cooling is very popular

Well on CPU the install process is relatively easy.

While in GPU you need to dismantle the cooler which are more intimidating to do.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

GPUs already come with a cooler mounted so its only enthusiasts that are willing to void warranties to modify their card and put a liquid cooler on it.

Some GPUs come with an AIO preinstalled but that makes them more expensive, and for most cards an AIO is unnecessary because they don't overheat on air.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's probably more due to the fact that Graphics Cards ship with a pre-attached cooler and CPU's don't.

Add to it the warranty Void stickers, which is debatable depending on location, then the variances in GPU Board and Cooler designs.

The universal GPU mounts for example only usually cover the GPU itself and forgets about the memory modules and vrm, something the customer would be left to deal with because of the varying boards. There is a a lot of room for error on the customers part and cooling manufacturers probably don't want to take any part in the responsibility for it.

Even if we custom made AIO's for very specific graphics cards, it would be a small market that would actually buy them. So they would probably be made in small batches increasing there cost. By the time everything was factored in it would probably make more sense to just go for a custom loop.

I own one which was rather cheap but effective(i got an id cooling frost flow vga) but yea. Its rather hard to find. I mean, the closest one to a gpu aio i saw was the thing from nzxt which is an attachment to an existing cpu aio to be able to attach to certain gpu.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

10 minutes ago, light-v said:

Same applies to CPUs yet AIO liquid cooling is very popular

A cpu can be installed in any number of configurations be it a full tower , mini itx , 1U server , ect....

Making a weird cooler that fits any AM4 socket while ignoring any mounting logistics is really easy.

Making a gpu that.... not many people need , not many people will buy , and has to work in every possible configuration the gpu might be placed in , not only for compatibility but also for the sake of trying to get more customers to buy it , would be very unprofitable and not useful to most people. That coupled with the fact that an air cooler is plenty enough and doesn't require a big radiator hanging off of it pumping water.

The real question is , why would someone need only a gpu AIO unless they are just mining..... oh..... I think i see why this was posted lol

Seems like this comes down to having to take the card apart and voiding warranties and manufacturers not willing to ship bare graphics cards 

@emosunI'm not sure how you jumped straight to mining but sure believe what you want. I asked out of genuine curiosity. I have a 1070 if that matters and have no interest in mining 

It's cause they are pretty big as well as expensive, so it's not really practical and just better to have a water block. In an AIO the pump would have to go on the GPU and that would take up at least 3 pcie slots. NZXT does i believe have a kit to use their water cooler AIOs with GPUs?

On 3/31/2021 at 4:24 AM, light-v said:

I know historically aftermarket GPU cooling never was that big. I think this is mostly due air cooling being pretty good already and the added complexity wasn't worth it. If you wanted to upgrade from air you'd go custom loop but that's much more expensive and hard to do. 

With AIOs, the waterblock is small compared to air coolers so mounting shouldn't be as challenging and much cheaper and easier than a custom loop.

Mounting brackets like the Kraken G12 are still very niche which is a shame because I think gpus can benefit a lot from AIOs I mean who doesn't want lower fan speeds on the GPU when gaming without spending a fortune? 

*Fact

1) air cooling already does the job well (look at the 3 slot GPUs, they already do the job very well)

2) AIOs sometimes leak and its a headache for manufacturers

3) AIOs have many points of failures

4) AIOs take up too much space and requires additional power

a. some cases do not have enough room

In general, the extra price does not justify the marginal performance gain.

*My general opinion on the lack of GPU cooling aftermarket parts

GPU overclocking is much more finicky than CPU overclocking. It requires software like MSI afterburner or if you flash the bios wrong, you have a dead card.

Overclocked GPUs cause some random issues that are not easily detected by stability programs. For CPUs, we have prime95, OCCT and Linx. These are pretty good programs that catch instabilities well. There are many GPU stability programs but they are not as reliable as CPU stability programs. But most importantly, many people are not interested in overclocking GPUs due to lack of aftermarket parts which stem from 3rd party manufacturers using different PCB layouts and designs. For instance, a cooler that is compatible with Asus Strix 3080 will not necessarily be compatible with AORUS master 3080. There are simply far too many layouts.

*solution

If manufacturers standardized their GPU pcb layout, this would give incentive for manufactures to make more aftermarket coolers. I for one, would love to have a thick GPU heatsink and mount some 140mm noctua fans on there.

*reason why standardized PCBs will never happen

But 3rd party manufacturers would not do this because they are all competing with each other. Having a standardized layout would mean similar parts and similar performances. Big guys like Asus, gigabyte and MSI would never do this while small guys like gainward and zotac would be thrilled! I think smaller guys should get together and standardized their pcbs. This is the only way to beat giants like Asus, Gigabyte and MSI.   

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

Guys with full loops top up every 6 months or so. How do you top up an AIO? Permeation is real, and I think people would have problems after a couple of years, especially if they are avid gamers.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

Guys with full loops top up every 6 months or so. How do you top up an AIO? Permeation is real, and I think people would have problems after a couple of years, especially if they are avid gamers.

But AIOs are super popular for CPU cooling,  people don't even need them,  they mostly buy them for the RGB bling!

That's not to say they will be as good anymore after a few years,  doesn't affect their popularity however. 

I think for GPUs it's just too difficult,  removing the fans...backplates... vrm/vram cooling, etc.

Even Jayztwocents couldn't make it work without dremeling parts of his GPU off! Lol. 👀. Not for the faint hearted for sure. `~°

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, light-v said:

It appears all of the replies ignored the OP's stated use case...lower fan speeds on the GPU. That means the OP wants a quieter configuration. There's this apparent market for quiet PCs that seems to be avoiding AIOs, even though fan speed is the major driver of PC noise.

I get that there's a warranty issue with the add-on thermal solutions, along with the perception of AIO reliability/maintenance overhead, card-mounting variations...the more I think about it, the more fringe it sounds. But it makes the most sense to me in terms of price/performance/low noise.

I did this with an ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW 120VGA and a used RX 5700 XT ref card in 2020. That was a pretty simple operation, no dremeling required. I haven't had any of the aforementioned issues with my AIOs; no problems or maintenance needed (yet). Now I'd like to upgrade the GPU in my Mini-ITX system, and am not seeing 120 mm solutions out there for newer GPUs. I'd need a different PC case to support anything available today (240 mm AIO or multi-fan air-cooled).

14 hours ago, mikehoopes said:

It appears all of the replies ignored the OP's stated use case...lower fan speeds on the GPU. That means the OP wants a quieter configuration. There's this apparent market for quiet PCs that seems to be avoiding AIOs, even though fan speed is the major driver of PC noise.

AIOs have fans too.. and a pump.. how is that quieter?

Good job on the Necro, but only 2 years? You can do better.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 2/5/2024 at 6:57 AM, freeagent said:

AIOs have fans too.. and a pump.. how is that quieter?

Good job on the Necro, but only 2 years? You can do better.

You beat me to the punch on this necromancer. 😉

Wait a minute, I hear something outside the window... ZOMBIE!!! 😆 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 3/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, light-v said:

I think they are a variety of reasons why they aren't more popular. 

• They require much more disassembly than say just putting it on a cpu
  • The brackets out there don't work for all cards and for some cards they don't offer enough cooling for things like memory
  • GPUs with AIO preinstalled are disproportionately priced. 
  • GPUs have more orientations and positioning options which can complicate routing or placement in general
  • Most people looking to put and AIO on a gpu probably is considering it for the CPU. You can build a budget custom loop for slightly more, but with higher gains.

It essentially comes down to being a very niche market. I think most people either are satisfied with air cooling and the ones that aren't probably lean towards a custom loop. There are a few reasons I can see someone using an AIO VS the other two options, but they are again niche use cases. I think that is why you just don't see a huge market for it.

Just to touch on one of your points "Custom loops are much more expensive and hard to do."

I would have to disagree. From what I have seen installing a AIO bracker on a GPU for example is more rigged feeling than something like a dedicated water block made for that card. The disassembly of the GPU is the hardest part of the loop.

If you are running dual AIO that is the equivalent of installing 2 radiators. You will need to install a pump which can easily mount to a radiator if needed or you can even buy blocks/radaitors with them build in. 

The biggest difference would be the tubing, but soft tubing is super simple to install and you can find fittings to suite the look or ease of use you are aiming for. Then you just fill it up. Leaks can happen, but are pretty darn rare even for first time loop builders provided they pay attention to what they are doing. Use distilled water and just power up the loop to fill and check for leaks... you aren't going to damage your hardware if a leak happens that way.

In the end you have 2 more things to worry with and they aren't hard by any means or even time consuming. If we look at cost it can go either way... you can go high end or budget just like anything else.

A decent AIO for GPU and CPU would be lets say 150 each. Then another 20-50 for the mount. So lets call it $350. You can buy cheap copper radiators online for 20-30 bucks. You can get the Corsair offerings for 50ish each for a 240 and 360 for 60 ish.  If we budgets for 2 of the 360s you are sitting at 120 for radiators, add some tubing for 25ish for 145 (this will include a coolant mix to use with distilled water) A cheap CPU block for 20-40 and a gpu block for 60-80 so lets call those 120 together. We are sitting at $265. Then toss on a cheap res/pump combo for 40 puts us at 305 which leaves you about 45 for fittings to be within an AIO build. Now if you want to go high end you can easily spend over a thousand on a custom loop and the above assumed you already had case fans to reuse, but you can toss in a couple 4 packs of artic p12s for about 25-30 a box.

Now