How to improve my PC's power efficiency (and maybe make it cooler)?

Ash_Kechummm

Okay so my PC has the following specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (no OC, unless I want better gaming performance, in which case I temporarily disable half the cores and overclock to 3.8 GHz on cool days {ambient temperature below 35°C} and 3.6 GHz on warm days {ambient temperature above 35°C})

GPU: 1660 super (no OC)

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

RAM: 2x8 gigs of 3000 MHz memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX)

Storage: a 5400 RPM spinny with 2 terabytes of "homework" space and a 240 gig gumstick (Seagate barracuda compute and a bottom of the barrel WD green SATA M.2 drive respectively)

So the PC is usually on for 6-8 hours a day (used to be a lot more, but I cut it down to about an hour of gaming/whatever else I'm experimenting on, with the rest being online school), and uses up a lot of power, not to mention the tons of heat it gives out, which isn't a problem during winters when I get to warm my room just by gaming, but now that temperatures are hitting the 40s (celsius, not Fahrenheit), the lack of efficiency isn't just me overthinking anymore.

So is there any way in which I can make my PC more efficient without giving up on stability? (Some performance loss for a drastic increase in efficiency is perfectly okay in my book)

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
typos everywhere GOD NO

Undervolting (and also underclocking) your components or replacing your PSU with a better one is the only solution. PSU running hot doesnt necessarily mean its inefficient. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

{ambient temperature below 35°C} and 3.6 GHz on warm days {ambient temperature above 35°C})

you keep your house at 95f?
(ambient would be your house temp)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Undervolting. If you can get Ryzen Master or some OC utility to do it automatically, go that route. You can do it for both your CPU and your GPU, and make sure to go to Window's power options and enable all sort of power saving modes. Of course the last one is the easiest to do, and you may have done it already. 

Also turn down some settings in your games and enable a framerate limiter to make sure your GPU is not pegged at >90% all the time. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

you can explore undervolting

but if the objective is to cool your room down, yeet the PC out of your room

use long cables to pull display, and USB signals in

I did that and i love it, quiet + cool

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you keep your house at 95c?
(ambient would be your house temp)

I assume you mean 95° freedom fahrenheit, so yes, I do manage to keep my house around 35-40° celsius while the outside is an uncomfortably hot 45° celsius. That is unless the PC is turned on, inb which case keeping my house cool is basically impossible. : (

As everyone else said the PC is already about as good as your going to get.

This is a long shot but check on the your system usage see if you background program or something using a lot of resources requiring the computer to work harder/use more power.

Setting this to something less than 100% will prevent your CPU from fully boosting to it's max frequency, thus reducing the power consumption. 

image.thumb.png.e42c8c2dfc5820486438142b42b8b46c.png

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

Just now, Ash_Kechummm said:

I assume you mean 95° freedom fahrenheit, so yes, I do manage to keep my house around 35-40° celsius while the outside is an uncomfortably hot 45° celsius. That is unless the PC is turned on, inb which case keeping my house cool is basically impossible. : (

Your pc already runs pretty cool and efficent. If you want your room cooler, your are probalby much better off putting your effort into better AC or room cooling.

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

Undervolting. If you can get Ryzen Master or some OC utility to do it automatically, go that route. You can do it for both your CPU and your GPU, and make sure to go to Window's power options and enable all sort of power saving modes. Of course the last one is the easiest to do, and you may have done it already. 

Also turn down some settings in your games and enable a framerate limiter to make sure your GPU is not pegged at >90% all the time. 

Ryzen master automatically undergoing is news for me. I use it to OC my CPU sometimes, but I never found an option to automatically undervolt the CPU.

Just now, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Setting this to something less than 100% will prevent your CPU from fully boosting to it's max frequency, thus reducing the power consumption. 

image.thumb.png.e42c8c2dfc5820486438142b42b8b46c.png

Id probalby lower the power limit in ryzen master or bios instead. That way the cpu can still bost to full speed if there is enough power to do so.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your pc already runs pretty cool and efficent. If you want your room cooler, your are probalby much better off putting your effort into better AC or room cooling.

Those aren't my PC's temperatures; my PC idles at above 50° celsius, but I get your point. 

Guess it's time to ask dad for an AC

4 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

Oh sh*t. Oops.

Do you not have ac? 

Usually people keep their houses at 70f (like 22c?) to 80f (like 25c)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probalby lower the power limit in ryzen master or bios instead. That way the cpu can still bost to full speed if there is enough power to do so.

Ryzen master also has power limits? I knew I must be missing something. I've been looking in every nook and cranny in the application, but I can't find anything like this.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Oh sh*t. Oops.

Do you not have ac? 

Usually people keep their houses at 70f (like 22c?) to 80f (like 25c)

I don't have an AC, yes. (And if I did, I'll probably not use it a lot, because the temps I'm most comfortable in are 30-35° celsius)

Ryzen master also has power limits? I knew I must be missing something. I've been looking in every nook and cranny in the application, but I can't find anything like this.

Yea you can set it to eco mode. Or You can use PBO and set the power limits to super low. I have done this in some servers where I am power limited.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea you can set it to eco mode. Or You can use PBO and set the power limits to super low. I have done this in some servers where I am power limited.

Ah, that's for zen 2 chips then. I'm using a first gen chip, so no luck for me there

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
I'm sad my english still hasn't improved

Maybe use ducting to vent the exhaust from your PC outside?

There really isn't much you can do to reduce the heat a computer puts out, since the way it works is basically 100% of the energy it uses is turned into heat.

A better power supply will only increase efficiency a few percent.

Undervolting will also only be a few percent, unless you go far enough and reduce the performance significantly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Maybe use ducting to vent the exhaust from your PC outside?

There really isn't much you can do to reduce the heat a computer puts out, since the way it works is basically 100% of the energy it uses is turned into heat.

A better power supply will only increase efficiency a few percent.

Undervolting will also only be a few percent, unless you go far enough and reduce the performance significantly.

This makes me wonder...

How do y'all handle your PC's heat in the summer? I might get some ideas like @Moonzy's PC in a separately cooled room (although living in a 2BHK, that leaves my parents' room)

Get a more efficient power supply 

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

How do y'all handle your PC's heat in the summer?

i throw it into my upstairs living room where no one stays at, so it's fine if that space is hot (my 2000W mining rig is also out there)

i live in a tropical country so it's summer all year long yee

I might get some ideas like @Moonzy's PC in a separately cooled room (although living in a 2BHK, that leaves my parents' room)

try to put it somewhere where no one stays at, or you can put it by a window and direct the exhaust out of it as someone suggested

3 minutes ago, tire said:

this at best reduces power by around 3-10% depending on OP's PSU

which is only about... 10-30W under full load, not much in the larger scale of things

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

38 minutes ago, Ash_Kechummm said:

unless I want better gaming performance, in which case I temporarily disable half the cores and overclock to 3.8 GHz on cool days {ambient temperature below 35°C} and 3.6 GHz on warm days {ambient temperature

disabling core and overclock is not energy effective...

4 minutes ago, tire said:

oh yeah, spending so much for save 2-4-6 cent a day...

This makes me wonder...

How do y'all handle your PC's heat in the summer? I might get some ideas like @Moonzy's PC in a separately cooled room (although living in a 2BHK, that leaves my parents' room)

I live in canada so heat isn't an issue.

If it was I would just use a duct to vent it out a window, since most buildings don't have AC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020