Linus should stop complaining about the ISO keyboard layout

oali24
4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Wow I peeked back in this thread and OP really won't back down, eh?

Maybe I should say my opinion louder to add some more fuel to the fire.

ISO bad, small shift sucks ass

Yeah, shift key is one that everybody uses often enough to warrant it having a larger size.* What really confuses me is that they decided to keep the right shift the regular size. WHY??!! NOBODY USES RIGHT SHIFT! Keep the left one the same size and make the right one smaller!

ISO's whole shtick is that it has more room for more special keys, but in english, there is enough room for all of the letters and useful symbols.

*unless you type like this. this gets old to read fairly quickly, it makes my inner grammarian have a stroke.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

Just now, oali24 said:

ANSI sucks, tilde key for letters should never happen and why is the shift pointlessly large?

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Wow I peeked back in this thread and OP really won't back down, eh?

Maybe I should say my opinion louder to add some more fuel to the fire.

ISO bad, small shift sucks ass

Both of you are wrong, the Dvorak layout is superior to all others.

elephants

1 minute ago, oali24 said:

tilde key for letters should never happen

No fucking clue what this is supposed to mean

1 minute ago, oali24 said:

why is the shift pointlessly large?

Because it's one of the most used keys on the keyboard. Next you're gonna complain about a spacebar being 6.25u or longer...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, EjectedCasings said:

Yeah, shift key is one that everybody uses often enough to warrant it having a larger size.* What really confuses me is that they decided to keep the right shift the regular size. WHY??!! NOBODY USES RIGHT SHIFT! Keep the left one the same size and make the right one smaller!

ISO's whole shtick is that it has more room for more special keys, but in english, there is enough room for all of the letters and useful symbols.

*unless you type like this. this gets old to read fairly quickly, it makes my inner grammarian have a stroke.

The easiest way to fix ISO would be to split the right shift instead of left one and have the pipe key to the right of right shift, like on Focus layout boards.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

I live in Holland where the "official" standard is ISO, but not a single person I'm aware of likes it. I use an ANSI keyboard all the time, and so does everyone I know with a bit of common sense. The ISO keyboard layout has a whole variety of things about it that suck, the most prominent one being the afwul, tiny shift key.

Not sure about your experience, but the official NL layout is never ever used here in the Netherlands. Basically everyone uses a UK or US layout (basically the English ISO or ANSI layouts respectively).

There are some NL layout keyboard like this: https://www.dell.com/nl-nl/shop/dell-multimediatoetsenbord-kb216-nederlands-qwerty-zwart/apd/580-adgt/pc-accessoires

But in the reviews you can see people are not happy about its layout (as we don't actually use that layout here).

Better image of the layout:

NL_toetsenbord_groot.PNG

Other than the 26 letters of the alphabet and the general modifiers (Ctrl, alt, enter, shift) everything is just screwed up.

brackets in the bottom left?! @-sign where tilde usually is? Everything under shift+number screwed up too!?!?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think its more a preference thing. Its like how some people like certain keycaps over others. There is someone at my work who has a dvorak keyboard and its a joke about how "elitist" he/she is about it. Also remember he has small hands and fingers maybe he just cant reach the smaller enter button with proper form. /endterriblejoke

Also, brief moment of sanity here, I like how much the thread has derailed so far.

Went from:

1. Linus + Keyboard = insensitive

2. Linus and other reviewers in general have their own opinions that should be sifted through to make your own decision.

3. ANSI vs. ISO

4. More ANSI Vs. ISO

5. ANSI > ISO (entirely factual and not opinion based, don't bother to look that up)

6. ANSI > anything that isn't ANSI (see above)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

#muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, EjectedCasings said:

Also, brief moment of sanity here, I like how much the thread has derailed so far.

Went from:

1. Linus + Keyboard = insensitive

2. Linus and other reviewers in general have their own opinions that should be sifted through to make your own decision.

3. ANSI vs. ISO

4. More ANSI Vs. ISO

5. ANSI > ISO (entirely factual and not opinion based, don't bother to look that up)

6. ANSI > anything that isn't ANSI (see above)

Mentioning keyboards online is like that. It is written in the internet bible: If ye doth bringeth up keyboards, thou topic shall be derailt.

Spoiler

Also while we're at it:

small shift key poopoo doodie, hehe big letters

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No fucking clue what this is supposed to mean

Because it's one of the most used keys on the keyboard. Next you're gonna complain about a spacebar being 6.25u or longer...

1600px-KB_Arabic_svg.thumb.png.0c3228f87ef3473f50969e49db09dbcd.pngThe ذ is on the tilde key in ansi

11 minutes ago, EjectedCasings said:

NOBODY USES RIGHT SHIFT!

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

How else would you press ctrl+shift+n with one hand? lenny-eyebrow.gif

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, oali24 said:

The ذ is on the tilde key in ansi

So one key for one alphabet in one language means that ANSI sucks and Linus should change his own opinion in videos to cater to...what, a dozen people?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

wow you're right, I never noticed that before!

Honestly it's faster for me to use Left Shift and Left Control.

(also ftfy)

Spoiler

right clicking is better 

#muricaparrotgang

13 minutes ago, EjectedCasings said:

In arabic keyboard you only really need shift key to type unstressed vowels which means you almost never need it because  unstressed vowels aren't usually written

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So one key for one alphabet in one language means that ANSI sucks and Linus should change his own opinion in videos to cater to...what, a dozen people?

(Kind of) tying into this: am I the only one that really just doesn't see the damn problem with it? My hands are squarely normal sized, maybe even a bit more Linus-y, and I have absolutely zero problem reaching the tilde key. Hell, I use it all the damn time.

Edited by flibberdipper
heck adhd brain forgot the kind of at the start

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, flibberdipper said:

Tying into this: am I the only one that really just doesn't see the damn problem with it? My hands are squarely normal sized, maybe even a bit more Linus-y, and I have absolutely zero problem reaching the tilde key. Hell, I use it all the damn time.

Agreed, not any harder than backspace is to reach. I hit tilde with my left ring finger and have no issues.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It's also used in farsi, urdu, Sindhi and many others

Just now, oali24 said:

It's also used in farsi, urdu, Sindhi and many others

My point still stands.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

This thread is moving along faster than I can mash my F5 key.

#muricaparrotgang

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

My point still stands.

My point was never that Linus should just start liking ISO layout because of this one lettet, but that people use the ISO layout for these sort of situations and not everyone sees layout as just ANSI good ISO bad

3 minutes ago, EjectedCasings said:

This thread is moving along faster than I can mash my F5 key.

IT'S GETTIN' HOT IN HERE

SO TAKE OFF ALL YOUR CLOTHES KEYS

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Just now, oali24 said:

My point was never that Linus should just start liking ISO layout because of this one lettet, but that people use the ISO layout for these sort of situations and not everyone sees layout as just ANSI good ISO bad

As I said in my original comment, it's all in jest, and even if he meant it seriously, it's an opinion, not a fact.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

As I said in my original comment, it's all in jest, and even if he meant it seriously, it's an opinion, not a fact.

Yeah you're probably right

7 minutes ago, oali24 said:

In arabic keyboard you only really need shift key to type unstressed vowels

Well I use shift all the time, because I also use it to type special characters etc, and don't forget about holding it down to run while gaming. You still need it for that regardless of your language. 

ISO just really sucks to most people that aren't typing in arabic or are using loads of special characters.

7 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

IT'S GETTIN' HOT IN HERE

SO TAKE OFF ALL YOUR CLOTHES KEYS

Introducing Comic Sans, the revolutionary new way to piss everybody off

804999204_Untitleddrawing.png.32be3cb7183f4b721a6a70bba5d85a15.png

#muricaparrotgang

5 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Well I use shift all the time, because I also use it to type special characters etc, and don't forget about holding it down to run while gaming. You still need it for that regardless of your language. 

ISO just really sucks to most people that aren't typing in arabic or are using loads of special characters.

I don't really see why the small shift is bad, my pinkie can reach it just fine as a touch typist.