Linus should stop complaining about the ISO keyboard layout

oali24

I've noticed that linus really hates ISO layout keyboard's (the one with the two row enter key) and seems to find it annoying compared to the ANSI layout (the one with the single row enter key), he should realise that while americans may be fine, people in other countries aren't and that while the two row enter is something that wouldn't take long to get used to the american keyboard can be so much more stupider than the iso one for other scripts, I'm an arabic speaker and we actually don't enough keys to fit all the letters in the arabic abjad (its technically not an alphabet) on to the ANSI keyboard layout in the qwerty section of the keyboard, one of the letters ذ is actually on the ~ key, yes seriously, the iso layout actually places it next to the enter key as the two row enter makes enough space for the ذ which is so much better, you can see the difference below, the ANSI is the top keyboard and the ISO is the bottom keyboard.

2145341825_arabickeyboardlayout.thumb.jpg.66f8f44f3d938bbc66704e59d693bbb7.jpg

To be fair, he is reviewing something from his perspective (or the perspective of one of the writers).

We wouldn't complain about Linus reviewing a mouse and saying "it's too large for my hands", because that's just as much a personal preference as ISO vs. ANSI.

It's fair for him to complain about a keyboard layout unfamiliar to him and most of his audience (unfamiliar as in haven't used much/at all, not unfamiliar as in "I have never heard of this").

As a viewer, it's your own responsibility to take the feedback in the review (i.e. "ugh, so annoying this keyboard is only available in ISO!") and apply that to your own situation and opinions.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

To be fair, he is reviewing something from his perspective (or the perspective of one of the writers).

We wouldn't complain about Linus reviewing a mouse and saying "it's too large for my hands", because that's just as much a personal preference as ISO vs. ANSI.

It's fair for him to complain about a keyboard layout unfamiliar to him and most of his audience (unfamiliar as in haven't used much/at all, not unfamiliar as in "I have never heard of this").

As a viewer, it's your own responsibility to take the feedback in the review (i.e. "ugh, so annoying this keyboard is only available in ISO!") and apply that to your own situation and opinions.

I get that, but he has lots of international viewers and I don't think arabic language users are alone in this where the ANSI layout actually poses issues for their use, the iso layout was designed for international use.

14 minutes ago, oali24 said:

I get that, but he has lots of international viewers and I don't think arabic language users are alone in this where the ANSI layout actually poses issues for their use, the iso layout was designed for international use.

Yes for sure, the ISO DE/Nordic layout for example also has keys on their keyboard that other layouts don't have, so Arabic users are not alone in having a reason to prefer ISO over ANSI.

Linus can't consider all different ISO keyboard layouts and their associated differences (and potential benefits), so it up to viewers with those preferences to look at Linus' reviews through a different lens.

To me this is like people complaining about others - for example - calling out a reviewer for saying a laptop's battery life is poor and saying "well I don't use my laptop on the go". If you know that negative doesn't apply to you, you know you don't need to worry about it, but it's up to a reviewer to consider their largest viewer-base and name cons - to them - as they are.

Let me turn it around. How do you think Linus should address the ISO layout in his videos? A layout he and a large portion of his viewers are unfamiliar with (again, in a "why would I use this when I have ANSI?" way of unfamiliar).

Should it be ignored? Should it be called out and if so, in what way?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

He knows.

He just doesn't care.

19 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes for sure, the ISO DE/Nordic layout for example also has keys on their keyboard that other layouts don't have, so Arabic users are not alone in having a reason to prefer ISO over ANSI.

Linus can't consider all different ISO keyboard layouts and their associated differences (and potential benefits), so it up to viewers with those preferences to look at Linus' reviews through a different lens.

To me this is like people complaining about others - for example - calling out a reviewer for saying a laptop's battery life is poor and saying "well I don't use my laptop on the go". If you know that negative doesn't apply to you, you know you don't need to worry about it, but it's up to a reviewer to consider their largest viewer-base and name cons - to them - as they are.

Let me turn it around. How do you think Linus should address the ISO layout in his videos? A layout he and a large portion of his viewers are unfamiliar with (again, in a "why would I use this when I have ANSI?" way of unfamiliar).

Should it be ignored? Should it be called out and if so, in what way?

he should just mention it as being international and not "weird" because usually its a thing that was meant to be sold in another country when he is reviewing, its just slightly condescending and in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, oali24 said:

he should just mention it as being international and not "weird" because usually its a thing that was meant to be sold in another country when he is reviewing, its just slightly condescending and in my opinion.

1 hour ago, oali24 said:

yes seriously, the iso layout actually places it next to the enter key as the two row enter makes enough space for the ذ which is so much better, you can see the difference below, the ANSI is the top keyboard and the ISO is the bottom keyboard.

Wait, so you're saying that ANSI is so much better than ISO for you personally?

Wow, that is just so condescending!

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

you didn't read what I said, its not for me personally, its for at least about 250 million arabic language users, and the iso layout is for everyone outside of US. So, Wow, that is just so condescending that Americans/influenced by Americans push unsuitable layout on other people when they don't use a perfectly acceptable layout that has all the alphabet keys on the qwerty section.

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

you also realise that macbooks have the same enter key as an iso layout, so you're already using it.

1 hour ago, oali24 said:

That has nothing to do with 'international' viewers, I'm in Canada, same as Linus, yet because I'm in a French province, the ISO layout is preferred (that's what I'm using on my work laptop).

This is 100% a preference thing and has nothing to do with "outside of the US" ; Linus is Canadian, and like I just mentioned, ISO layout in Canada are prevalent in some areas.

Being triggered about something like this is pretty pointless, he always said he's reviewing stuff from his POV (he even sometime quote Canadian pricing on the WAN show, because that's his reality ; he's Canadian).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Seems i have an ISO keyboard, kinda hate to have a smaller key to the left of the Z on the left side of the keyboard.. Kinda understanding, also are you sure this isnt his personal choice of disliking iso? Im probably change to ansi the first chance i get myself. Do note, that this is the nordic layout tho 🙂

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

18 minutes ago, oali24 said:

I'm pretty sure all the condescending stuff is purely for fun and not meant to be taken seriously.

Some time ago I remember someone made a thread on the forum complaining about Linus always complaining about motion blur in video games and how it's awful, while the OP of that thread liked motion blur (and said we should all use it). Then Linus mentioned in another video turning off motion blur, which is when Alex mentioned said thread to Linus.

Now it seems like Linus is always doubling down on how awful motion blur is. Maybe out of spite, maybe out of condemned, but probably just for fun.

That is how I see him mentioning ISO vs. ANSI too. Something he has a preference for - just like you have a preference for ISO keyboards - which he - as a reviewer - is vocal about. Just like how you can be vocal about liking ISO, he has a right to like ANSI and be vocal about it.

Anyways, what it comes down to, is that you probably shouldn't take his preference for ANSI and his way of voicing that opinion as a public attack.

ISO enter vs. ANSI enter is sort of a meme in the (mechanical) keyboard community, which I think is a fun rivarly we should be able to fully embrace while joking about one vs. the other.

21 minutes ago, minibois said:

I'm pretty sure all the condescending stuff is purely for fun and not meant to be taken seriously.

This exactly. Source: am in keyboard community that is split 50/50 ansi/iso (excluding other layouts, obv). Literally every day we are shitting on the other layout but it's all in jest.

With that being said, iso bad lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

32 minutes ago, Spindel said:

All keyboards that don’t have dedicated keys for ÅÄÖ (or ÅÆØ) suck!

Ü ß

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I can't stand the ISO layout. It's the worst IMO. I've owned a laptop with a keyboard layout that had it for a year, still didn't get used to it.
Sold it to buy something else.
Was much happier.

Personally, I think you should stop complaining about other people having preferences 😉

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I can't stand the ISO layout. It's the worst IMO. I've owned a laptop with a keyboard layout that had it for a year, still didn't get used to it.
Was much happier.

Personally, I think you should stop complaining about other people having preferences 😉

Imagine having a keyboard that allows you to type out thoughts instead of just praising the leader 😛

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

43 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Ü ß

Ü I can understand but eszett? Wasn’t there a revsion not long ago to make away with eszett? (I learned German with eszett when I had it in school but even back then my german techers said german was doing away with eszett)

4 hours ago, oali24 said:

I get that, but he has lots of international viewers

most are US or Cad, with the US making up over 50% (last time he told us)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

38 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Was much happier.

I use both types, I don't notice any difference, I don't understand how people have trouble switching, maybe I just type in a way that I don't notice the difference but maybe you should stop complaining that I bring up about a reviewer who is watched internationally is criticising a feature he should know better about and that it is kind of weird that he would criticise something that a large portion of his viewers would think is good without at least mentioning that other people may like it, its like when they reviewed a thinkpad and criticised the pointing nipple, its tone deaf.

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

most are US or Cad, with the US making up over 50% (last time he told us)

That still means that the other 50% isn't, even 10% would warrant taking international audience into consideration.

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

All keyboards that don’t have dedicated keys for ÅÄÖ (or ÅÆØ) suck!

ÆØÅ Gang x'D

The keyboards i want dont have them and the one's that do isnt that all nice looking even with RGB 😛

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

12 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Ü I can understand but eszett? Wasn’t there a revsion not long ago to make away with eszett? (I learned German with eszett when I had it in school but even back then my german techers said german was doing away with eszett)

Well they use it less. For example  ...,dass ... used to be written ....,daß... .

the letter is still used from time to time.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, MultiGamerClub said:

ÆØÅ Gang x'D

The keyboards i want dont have them and the one's that do isnt that all nice looking even with RGB 😛

do you mean that the symbol isn't on the key or that you can't actually type it?

Just now, oali24 said:

I use both types, I don't notice any difference, I don't understand how people have trouble switching, maybe I just type in a way that I don't notice the difference but maybe you should stop complaining that I bring up about a reviewer who is watched internationally is criticising a feature he should know better about and that it is kind of weird that he would criticise something that a large portion of his viewers would think is good without at least mentioning that other people may like it, its like when they reviewed a thinkpad and criticised the pointing nipple, its tone deaf.

Sounds like you're a little too sensitive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red