Linus should stop complaining about the ISO keyboard layout

oali24
8 minutes ago, oali24 said:

my pinkie can reach it just fine as a touch typist.

Sure it can, but when you're used to this massive bar you can mash on without using any precision, the small shift is a real pain. You need to stretch your pinky further which is less comfortable, and you need to use more brain power aiming it properly as well, which gets very annoying if you use shift a lot (which I do).

Imagine the space bar was some small key; sure it would "work", and it would provide space for even more characters I don't need (yay) but just wtf.

I type on an ISO keyboard when I'm at school, and it drives me nuts how often I miss the shift key and type an \ or whatever is in that location. 

9 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Yeah you're probably right

Did it really take 3 pages for you to finally admit that people can have opinions that don't match yours or other people's? 

Let's say he made a video about a phone, he didn't like the phone so he says "I don't like this phone" and then someone came running to the forum to say that he shouldn't be saying he doesn't like it because  me and other people use and like it. 

I think most ISO users would hear what he said and ignore it, because his opinion on the layout doesn't affect them, they would listen to the rest of the video. I do it all the time with reviews, if a reviewer says something negative about a product, but that negative point isn't something I care about, then a brush it off and keep listening

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

19 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Did it really take 3 pages for you to finally admit that people can have opinions that don't match yours or other people's? 

Let's say he made a video about a phone, he didn't like the phone so he says "I don't like this phone" and then someone came running to the forum to say that he shouldn't be saying he doesn't like it because  me and other people use and like it. 

I think most ISO users would hear what he said and ignore it, because his opinion on the layout doesn't affect them, they would listen to the rest of the video. I do it all the time with reviews, if a reviewer says something negative about a product, but that negative point isn't something I care about, then a brush it off and keep listening

Yeah, sorry about that, honestly I really just got carried away, I wasn't that pissed, I just have a habit of getting carried away and really, I just wanted to point out the pros of ISO layout for people like me who use arabic script that people may not have thought of but I got argumentative. People are entitled to their opinion and Linus's opinion of ISO doesn't really matter to us users of ISO as it doesn't apply when you've used it for a long time

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

How else would you press ctrl+shift+n with one hand? lenny-eyebrow.gif

Who in the hell uses their left hand? I thought everyone used their right hand.

Spoiler

Those pringles ain't gonna get outta the tube on their own.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

18 hours ago, oali24 said:

I use both types, I don't notice any difference, I don't understand how people have trouble switching, maybe I just type in a way that I don't notice the difference but maybe you should stop complaining that I bring up about a reviewer who is watched internationally is criticising a feature he should know better about and that it is kind of weird that he would criticise something that a large portion of his viewers would think is good without at least mentioning that other people may like it, its like when they reviewed a thinkpad and criticised the pointing nipple, its tone deaf.

Ignoring the argument happening on the other pages - good catch on the TrackPoint. Indeed, at the very least, it would have been balanced and sensible to mention that there are some-obvious ergonomic, accessibility and gloves-friendly usage arguments as well as general preference for nipple mice.

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.

16 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

Who in the hell uses their left hand? I thought everyone used their right hand.

Reveal hidden contents

Those pringles ain't gonna get outta the tube on their own.

I use a split natural keyboard, and can do it one-handed with either hand 😛 

I have both a ISO and a ansi. I can type normally on both.

I personally like the ISO big enter key I love spamming it its so satisfying.

I think this is a personal preference like mouses some mouses work with some people some hate said mouse.( I personally use a M65 PRO and I like how heavy it is)

layout is the same if you feel comfy on it than stay on it and if you get flack just don't pay attention.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

On 3/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, oali24 said:

I've noticed that linus really hates ISO layout keyboard's (the one with the two row enter key) and seems to find it annoying compared to the ANSI layout (the one with the single row enter key), he should realise that while americans may be fine, people in other countries aren't and that while the two row enter is something that wouldn't take long to get used to the american keyboard can be so much more stupider than the iso one for other scripts, I'm an arabic speaker and we actually don't enough keys to fit all the letters in the arabic abjad (its technically not an alphabet) on to the ANSI keyboard layout in the qwerty section of the keyboard, one of the letters ذ is actually on the ~ key, yes seriously, the iso layout actually places it next to the enter key as the two row enter makes enough space for the ذ which is so much better, you can see the difference below, the ANSI is the top keyboard and the ISO is the bottom keyboard.

To suggest Linus doesn't know about ISO, or realize that his international audience might use it is a little disingenuous. As has been pointed out, those of us in Canada, including Linus, are exposed to ISO in some situations given French Canadian keyboards. 

That being said, ANSI is generally considered far more widely used vs. ISO and JIS. Linus and the writers also have access to analytics that showcase their viewership, and they probably know that saying ISO is "weird" might not be too much of an issue depending on the viewer breakdown. That and of course, it's user preference.

ANSI, ISO and JIS all have their uses, and certain countries/languages are better suited to one vs. another. Personally, I dislike ISO, and like plenty of people, I might be discouraged if a product only comes in ISO layout. This is no different than ISO users that get annoyed that products only come with an ANSI layout, or for those keyboard enthusiasts, where a certain key cap set they want doesn't design an ISO pack. 

Can Linus/LTT writers be more sensitive with some of their scripts? Sure. But there is nothing outlandish about their subjective preference. 

Imagine taking something like the keyboard layout you use so personally. How is this thread 4 pages?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Ugh I accidentally bought a steeleries ISO layout from best buy and promptly returned it about 45 minutes later I've never done a 180 so fast

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

while I understand options are good and preferences differ, this iso keyboard should really not be a thing,  I hate it so much, and it's so difficult to find a proper keyboard here (Germany) it's not even funny...

And by that I mean mostly QWERTY layout,  but this weird,  much too big enter key is just the icing of a whole mountain of annoyingly unusable.

Also, i honestly don't understand, OP's keyboards have a lot of weird signs I've never seen...? 🤔

20210327_013644.thumb.jpg.ecd4cfed0cad233776513d202f120114.jpg

Btw, same mouse,  very good, cost only like 5 bucks and is basically perfect, very comfy, would recommend! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

while I understand options are good and preferences differ, this iso keyboard should really not be a thing,  I hate it so much, and it's so difficult to find a proper keyboard here (Germany) it's not even funny...

And by that I mean mostly QWERTY layout,  but this weird,  much too big enter key is just the icing of a whole mountain of annoyingly unusable.

Also, i honestly don't understand, OP's keyboards have a lot of weird signs I've never seen...? 🤔

20210327_013644.thumb.jpg.ecd4cfed0cad233776513d202f120114.jpg

Btw, same mouse,  very good, cost only like 5 bucks and is basically perfect, very comfy, would recommend! 

its an arabic keyboard, they come in both iso and ansi.