Linus should stop complaining about the ISO keyboard layout

oali24
1 minute ago, oali24 said:

do you mean that the symbol isn't on the key or that you can't actually type it?

The symbols (ÆØÅ) isnt on most keyboards that doesnt support nordic layout(s) that ive found.

The one's that do isnt really all that great looking unless i go beyond 200€ 🙂

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

4 minutes ago, oali24 said:

That still means that the other 50% isn't, even 10% would warrant taking international audience into consideration.

we aren't yet counting AU/NZ and UK who use the ANSI keyboard.
the majority of LTT viewers care about the ANSI keyboard

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

we aren't yet counting AU/NZ and UK who use the ANSI keyboard.
the majority of LTT viewers care about the ANSI keyboard

no the UK uses ISO don't they?

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Sounds like you're a little too sensitive.

and maybe you should stop complaining that lots of people have a preference for ISO and that it is something that viewers might care about considering that you clearly cared about it enough to sell your laptop.

Just now, oali24 said:

and maybe you should stop complaining that lots of people have a preference for ISO and that it is something that viewers might care about considering that you clearly cared about it enough to sell your laptop.

I didn't, actually. But go off sis.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Well they use it less. For example  ...,dass ... used to be written ....,daß... .

the letter is still used from time to time.

I would write* ”Ich heiße Spindel” just feels wrong to write it in another way. But even when I learnt it my teachers said something along the lines ”yeah we teach you the ”correct” way to write things but nowadays you might as well just write two s any time”. 

*I extreamley rarely write in german, had german for 6 years in school but since I never really used it since then I can only manage to read a news paper (and understand the wider context but not details) and verbally communicate as a turist (and apparently barter a car price). Lack of practice means my vocabulary is suffering and I have a hard time finding the right words. 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I didn't, actually. But go off sis.

you just said you sold your laptop with ISO layout and was much happier

A review contains 2 types of information:

opinion based, ie: preference of certain layout

factual based, ie: the actuation force of a key

factual based should be agreed upon by everyone, unless it's proven wrong.

opinion based information should be taken as that, an opinion, if it doesn't apply to you, simply move on

btw i don't like the larger enter keys too, i was forced to use it throughout highschool, never liked it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, oali24 said:

you just said you sold your laptop with ISO layout and was much happier

Correct. And I was. Where in that did I say that other people can't enjoy ISO?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, Moonzy said:

factual based, ie: the actuation force of a key

the force is something factual based. but how " good " a certain force feels is highly personal. For example: some persons like very light key , others want them to be really heavy ( cough @Eschew  150g switches cough) .

aas you said keyboards are something based on opinion and probably influenced by what you just started typing on and got used to it.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

This thread just screams "you're not allowed to have an opinion on something because other people use/like something else."

OP should stop complaining about other people's opinions on keyboard layouts and just use what they like. I know it's hard, but it'll be worth it long-term.

39 minutes ago, oali24 said:

That still means that the other 50% isn't, even 10% would warrant taking international audience into consideration.

So, he should change his preference because some people prefer a keyboard layout that YOU prefer ?

Might as well say YOU should change your preference, no ?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

So, he should change his preference because some people prefer a keyboard layout that YOU prefer ?

But that wouldn't be sensitive and taking his needs into account.

/s

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, oali24 said:

no the UK uses ISO don't they?

Yes, they do. But I have also heard that its common for UK IT people to use ANSI, how much it is in that, I dont know.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, oali24 said:

you didn't read what I said, its not for me personally, its for at least about 250 million arabic language users, and the iso layout is for everyone outside of US. So, Wow, that is just so condescending that Americans/influenced by Americans push unsuitable layout on other people when they don't use a perfectly acceptable layout that has all the alphabet keys on the qwerty section.

And how many people who type aribic watch LTT? They make stuff relevant to their watchers.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Until OP pointed this out, I didn't even know there are different types. I only knew there is an English QWERTY and the German QWERTZ layout. I assume each country/language has some specific layouts.

But what I don't understand is, why complain about it? In times of internet I'm sure in most the World you can order any type of keyboard you want and in Windows you can set which type you use (for example, setting language to US international allows umlauts and Euro symbol etc.). I bet there is software to enable any type of widely used symbol.

No one is forcing anyone to use a specific keyboard. and if you watch an international channel, they obviously use one type and some of the audience a different one. So what? It doesn't change watching.... and if someone doesn't like what LTT has to say, no one forces you to watch it. I think every minute there are a thousand hours of video uploaded.... sure enough choice and one of them will use a keyboard approved by you. Or make your own YT channel and use whatever you like. 

Let's get this straight:

ISO keyboards are one of the most evil items one can have in their office. 

I live in Holland where the "official" standard is ISO, but not a single person I'm aware of likes it. I use an ANSI keyboard all the time, and so does everyone I know with a bit of common sense. The ISO keyboard layout has a whole variety of things about it that suck, the most prominent one being the afwul, tiny shift key.

The only thing good about ISO seems to be that it allows for the typing of weird characters more easily, but I rarely use those as they don't occur often in English or Dutch. 

ANSI > ISO 

that is all.

/s

Spoiler

Does it really matter? Linus' job as a reviewer is to give an overview of the product, and how he feels about it, so we can take his opinion and see if we agree with his decisions and reasons. I'm American, so i'm in the same boat as Linus. I prefer ANSI over ISO. It's an opinion formed by habit and what we have around us. It's not worth it to change how we've been typing our entire life because the majority of the world uses it.It's the same reason that we use the imperial system. It's just not worth it to change.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

It's not preference it's just pretty nonsensical to have a letter on the tilde key, I'm not telling him to change his preference it's just that as reviewer he should be aware that even if he doesn't make use of a feature his audience might still like it.

2 minutes ago, oali24 said:

It's not preference it's just pretty nonsensical to have a letter on the tilde key, I'm not telling him to change his preference it's just that as reviewer he should be aware that even if he doesn't make use of a feature his audience might still like it.

Why would he review keyboards for foreign uses ? Like I said, he's in Canada and us French speakers use ISO layout with French accents, why would I expect him to review keyboards with French accents in mind ?

Makes no sense.

If I want a review that takes this into account, I'll look at local reviews that WILL take this into account.

Wow I peeked back in this thread and OP really won't back down, eh?

Maybe I should say my opinion louder to add some more fuel to the fire.

ISO bad, small shift sucks ass

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Why would he review keyboards for foreign uses ? Like I said, he's in Canada and us French speakers use ISO layout with French accents, why would I expect him to review keyboards with French accents in mind ?

Obviously the minority of his audience is more important than the majority. How DARE you be so insensitive. 😠

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Obviously the minority of his audience is more important than the majority. How DARE you be so insensitive. 😠

#LinusSellout

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Wow I peeked back in this thread and OP really won't back down, eh?

Maybe I should say my opinion louder to add some more fuel to the fire.

ISO bad, small shift sucks ass

ANSI sucks, tilde key for letters should never happen and why is the shift pointlessly large?