[UPDATED] "'Minecraft' creator cancels Oculus Rift version following Facebook acquisition"

TopWargamer

UPDATE:

Notch wrote a blog post on how he feels about Facebook's acquisition of Oculus. Needless to say, he is not happy about it.

http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

_____________________________Original post_____________________________

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5547626/minecraft-oculus-vr-cancelled

7JtiK.png

Minecraft creator Markus Persson has revealed that an Oculus Rift version of the game was potentially in the works, but following the sudden news that Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion, that's no longer the case. "I just cancelled that deal," Persson tweeted. "Facebook creeps me out." While gaming has been the biggest selling point for the Rift to date, following Facebook's acquisition it appears that the virtual reality platform will be moving in other directions, as well. "We're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance of Minecraft making the jump to VR — a PS4 version of the game is in the works, which could potentially work with Sony's recently revealed Project Morpheus headset.

And there's the first negative affect from Facebook's acquisition of Oculus! I'd imagine that certain projects for the Rift are now being...considered. Definitely will be interesting keeping up with this whole fiasco. Oh how the mighty fall.

COMIC SANS

Seriously grow up! if you say why? your name is NoireMk2

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

ha i posted the tweet into the main thread but what surprise me is how fast the fallout begun 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

And there's the first negative affect from Facebook's acquisition of Oculus!

The first? People are cancelling preorders of DK2, are giving up on Oculus altogether. 

Notch cancelling Minecraft is negative sure, but not the biggest problem, it can be fixed with mods.

People losing faith in Oculus is a far bigger problem for them.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

You know the whole thing sucks but honestly I like to watch greedy morons suffer because they make stupid decisions. 

An awesome future that was dashed in an instance...

R.I.P Oculus Rift

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

They should've stayed independent.  They're handing VR to Sony on a silver platter.  Zuckerberg will run Oculus into the ground.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Zuckerberg will run Oculus into the ground.

See, that's the worst part.

It doesn't matter at all how well Oculus actually does now. Because it's owned by Facebook and Zuckerberg, in most people's eyes (PC enthusiasts for now, the rest of the public later), it's terrible because it's tied to Facebook, which is as "big business" as it gets. 

Say whatever you want about how it will improve Oculus' products, but it can't improve their image. Not a bit. 

I'm conflicted. In one hand, I dislike social media in general. In the other, I want the Rift to succeed. So while I'm reviled at this acquisition, I'll still probably buy a Rift as long as it's still the Rift. 

Any FB branding or integration (that I can't opt out of) at all and I'm not touching it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This has been posted multiple times in the aquisition thread.

See, that's the worst part.

It doesn't matter at all how well Oculus actually does now. Because it's owned by Facebook and Zuckerberg, in most people's eyes (PC enthusiasts for now, the rest of the public later), it's terrible because it's tied to Facebook, which is as "big business" as it gets. 

Say whatever you want about how it will improve Oculus' products, but it can't improve their image. Not a bit. 

I'm conflicted. In one hand, I dislike social media in general. In the other, I want the Rift to succeed. So while I'm reviled at this acquisition, I'll still probably buy a Rift as long as it's still the Rift. 

Any FB branding or integration (that I can't opt out of) at all and I'm not touching it.

They should have known this would happen. They know the enthusiast community is touchy when it comes to this stuff!

At what point did they think it was a good idea?!?!

I said this before and i'll say it again. Why would you let a company that is projected to not exist in 3 years acquire you? Especially a company that has a long history of necro-ing start up companies...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Peoples opinions blow these things out of proportion, we barely even know the intricate details of the deal and what will be happening with the company. 

The best possible outcome is nothing will change within the company, it will still be ran by the same team. Also the big advantage is the inflow of funds from facebook, they no longer need to rely solely on people making the dev kit purchases.

Though, I do want to hear John Carmack's opinion, Markus and John have spoken on occasion and John definitely will have a big opinion on the deal and would have had some amount of influence over some details.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Peoples opinions blow these things out of proportion, we barely even know the intricate details of the deal and what will be happening with the company. 

The best possible outcome is nothing will change within the company, it will still be ran by the same team. Also the big advantage is the inflow of funds from facebook, they no longer need to rely solely on people making the dev kit purchases.

Though, I do want to hear John Carmack's opinion, Markus and John have spoken on occasion and John definitely will have a big opinion on the deal and would have had some amount of influence over some details.

Just like every single other popular startup company that Facebook has purchased and subsequently ran into the fucking ground.... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Hail Sithis!

Seriously grow up!

why?

Let's see what comes out of this, I just hope Facebook doesn't screw this up.

i'm a potato

You can't back out of hidden backdoors in binary blobs.

I demand 100% open source firmware or I won't touch it.

Just like every single other popular startup company that Facebook has purchased and subsequently ran into the fucking ground.... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Some quick research into their acquisitions notes that most of the acquisitions were for the teams in the companies, not the companies themselves, as a result most of the companies closed on the grounds that they couldn't be supported by the teams any more.

Other companies were acquired for the technology benefiting Facebook's goals directly, and part of the deal would be the company was to close. 

Now the big ones I see that everyone knows is instagram and whatsapp. Instagram in April, 2012, and from what I can see, nothing changed. Why did facebook acquire instagram? The user base, such a large user base has a massive influx of useful data. The same goes for whatsapp. If you are wondering why they want data, go look up the term 'Big Data' and the benefits it brings to companies.  

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

They should have known this would happen. They know the enthusiast community is touchy when it comes to this stuff!

At what point did they think it was a good idea?!?!

I said this before and i'll say it again. Why would you let a company that is projected to not exist in 3 years acquire you? Especially a company that has a long history of necro-ing start up companies...

I don't know. If I owned a company and was offered $2 Billion Dollars for it, I'd probably say "Sure, why not?"

I mean really. Regardless of whether FB is here in 3 years or not (which, btw, I think them buying Oculus is to help prevent or lessen the impact of), whoever owned Oculus has $2,000,000,000. 

Who knows. Maybe Zuckerberg knows FB will die some day (soon) and is preparing to jump ship with his own startup companies and is diversifying. 

True. That would be best case scenario.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Facebook has made a massive investment in open source softwares, more than you probably realise. They helped further optimise  database systems developed by the Apache Foundation (namely Hadoop, Casandra and Hive). 

inb4 occulus mod

There already is one, https://share.oculusvr.com/app/minecrift

inb4 occulus mod

people got ahead of notch actually: https://share.oculusvr.com/app/minecrift

edit 

dem ninja -___-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

all updates in minecraft are based off peoples mods these days.

Not always, just someone got to the dev stage before Mojang, also I would assume that if the deal went ahead there would be input from both Mojang and Oculus VR on making the Oculus version. There would have been an Oculus version already if that was not the case.

EDIT:

Notch has written a blogpost about it http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

Edit2: reddit post from someone at Oculus VR, http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/cgbvt3c

Oculus Rift future :'(

original.jpg?w=600&h

Llama-cant-deal-with-it.gif

btw the fuck is that monstrosity of a game it looks almost the same as black ops 2?