Windows 21H2 (2021 Update 2) will be a total overhaul of the OS (Codenamed Sun Valley)

Master Disaster
31 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Microsoft has an obsession with updating the UI,so they always update the UI,it will most likely look completely different in 5 years.

We've had this design theme since Windows 8 in 2012. Apart from minor touchups, it hasn't really changed. Hardly an "obsession".

Oh god, please don't destroy the Control Panel; I literally need to use it every day in my job.

The "settings" panel, on the other hand, can go die in a fire for all I care.

33 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Oh god, please don't destroy the Control Panel; I literally need to use it every day in my job.

The "settings" panel, on the other hand, can go die in a fire for all I care.

Just get used to God Mode folders. There's no working around that, imo. 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

On 2/24/2021 at 7:51 PM, Vorg said:

Now you have to keep manually going in and bumping up the delay.

Just disable it? :old-unsure: 

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, I am. Windows used to be almost on monthly order reinstalls because it kept shitting its own pants for most mundane stuff. Now I'm using it for so long I don't know when I've reinstalled it last. Latest was because I bought a new system...

Only issue I have with Windows 10 is how languages are selected. I want Windows to be in US English, but I need Regional and keyboard settings to be Slovenian. And when you set it like this Windows 10 turns into bizarre mix of this crap with constant nagging with stupid language bar and forcing in multiple keyboard configs. Windows interface is in US English, but for some dumb reason it installs localized Slovenian versions of apps like MS Paint, Photos and all other app stuff. And the fact that what you select during install on first screen isn't actually selected, you need to go through all this crap later when you get to desktop. This is the really only thing left that annoys the hell out of me. But when you finally set the damn thing, it sort of sticks. But it could be done so much better...

I have this issue as well.

Here is what I have tried to configure:

Windows language - English

Keyboard layout - Swedish and Japanese (for when I need to write in Japanese)

Spell checking: Swedish and English

This is what I get:

1206233617_Screenshot2021-02-26100313.thumb.png.d0555fad460d41263a0fb47075cf7d0d.png

The "tabs" at the top are in Swedish.

The "tabs" on the side are in English.

The programs are in Japanese, until you click on them because on the product page they are in Swedish.

How is it even possible to mess up this badly?

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

We've had this design theme since Windows 8 in 2012. Apart from minor touchups, it hasn't really changed. Hardly an "obsession".

No, it has changed in Windows 10.

One example of the UI changing in Windows 10 was "project neon", where they changed the design language back in late 2017.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, I am. Windows used to be almost on monthly order reinstalls because it kept shitting its own pants for most mundane stuff. Now I'm using it for so long I don't know when I've reinstalled it last. Latest was because I bought a new system...

I think that was a "you" problem, not a Windows problem.

I only ever reinstalled Windows Vista and 7 when I did something major like upgrade the SSD, or upgrade from Vista to 7, or 7 to 10. Ever since I got some common sense (and after Windows XP) I haven't really had Windows shit on itself enough to require a reinstall.

If you needed to do it almost monthly then I will blame you, not Windows.

The only problems I got with Windows these days are deliberate design decisions and the occasional minor bugs.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

No, it has changed in Windows 10.

One example of the UI changing in Windows 10 was "project neon", where they changed the design language back in late 2017.

I think that was a "you" problem, not a Windows problem.

I only ever reinstalled Windows Vista and 7 when I did something major like upgrade the SSD, or upgrade from Vista to 7, or 7 to 10. Ever since I got some common sense (and after Windows XP) I haven't really had Windows shit on itself enough to require a reinstall.

If you needed to do it almost monthly then I will blame you, not Windows.

The only problems I got with Windows these days are deliberate design decisions and the occasional minor bugs.

When Windows just shits itself because you installed and uninstalled few apps, only thing to blame is OS. It just started doing weird nonsense constantly. Now I can use system same way and it'll just work.

X Doubt.... there is no such  thing a total overhaul, they will change some icons and move 2 menus.

The rest is nonsense. The real changes windows needs will never come.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I have this issue as well.

Here is what I have tried to configure:

Windows language - English

Keyboard layout - Swedish and Japanese (for when I need to write in Japanese)

Spell checking: Swedish and English

This is what I get:

The "tabs" at the top are in Swedish.

The "tabs" on the side are in English.

The programs are in Japanese, until you click on them because on the product page they are in Swedish.

How is it even possible to mess up this badly?

It's because the app is half website, half Windows... well you can see it that way. The top bar and content is like you are going to the Swedish website but the app is in English.

As for Japanese is because you install the Japanese language pack and not just the keyboard. You'll need to fix that and reinstall the apps. I bet Device Manager is also weird as a result.

Oh and system region will determine which site to load from apps.

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's because the app is half website, half Windows... well you can see it that way. The top bar and content is like you are going to the Swedish website but the app is in English.

That's a really dumb design.

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As for Japanese is because you install the Japanese language pack and not just the keyboard. You'll need to fix that and reinstall the apps. I bet Device Manager is also weird as a result

Yes I have the language pack installed as well. However, you can't just add Japanese as a keyboard. You have to add it under the "preferred languages" in order to get the Microsoft IME.

My device manager is fine actually. Didn't know that could get messed up by language settings sa well.

My spell checking is really messed up as well. For example Microsoft Office do not allow me to change spell checking to anything but English, which is super annoying because it automatically "corrects" Swedish words to English words, making my messages into a complete mess if I am not careful. I've just switched to using the web version because Outlook is unusable.

I think Microsoft are just incompetent when it comes to multi-language users... According to some users on StackExchange, the spell checking in Office will always select the language you got selected in the language bar. In my case, that's English (since I want Windows to be in English).

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That's a really dumb design.

I forgot to mention Regional option too. This will indicate which "page" to load from apps. As an Insider, to enjoy first hand new features, I have to set my Windows to English (US), instead of Canada. Although in my case... there is no real difference, as both are English. I can live with "colour" being spelled "color", as even in Canada both are used,

Yes I have the language pack installed as well. However, you can't just add Japanese as a keyboard. You have to add it under the "preferred languages" in order to get the Microsoft IME.

Ah interesting. 

My device manager is fine actually. Didn't know that could get messed up by language settings sa well.

Ah ok. From experience if you install Windows in language A and then switch account and/or system language to language B, then Device Manager will have names in language A, still, because the names of items are from the drivers that were installed in language A by Windows, when it was set in that language. So, to fix is to either uninstall the item, and re-install it, or go in the registry and just rename the hardware.

My spell checking is really messed up as well. For example Microsoft Office do not allow me to change spell checking to anything but English, which is super annoying because it automatically "corrects" Swedish words to English words, making my messages into a complete mess if I am not careful. I've just switched to using the web version because Outlook is unusable.

Office language lives in its own world.

You have to go to the Options panel, and go under Language, and set your langues there.

462995321_Screenshot2021-02-26083508.png.e935ac0567d6fcbd91a26418fc1a5bf1.png

I think Microsoft are just incompetent when it comes to multi-language users... According to some users on StackExchange, the spell checking in Office will always select the language you got selected in the language bar. In my case, that's English (since I want Windows to be in English).

The language bar is to select the written language. The fun part is that apps can change it. So, depending on what you use, you can have an experience where you have control, or not and always have to fight with it. Oh, and there is an auto-detect feature, which tend to get confused when you switch languages. say you paste a text in a different language in your word processor.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah interesting. 

Yeah it's weird.

In order to type Japanese characters (like ちんちん) you have to use the MS-IME as your input method. You can only add MS-IME as a "keyboard" if you have the Japanese language pack installed and selected.

If I go into the English (Swedish) language and clicks on "add a keyboard" I can select Japanese, but it will be a Japanese QWERTY keyboard that writes "regular" latin letters. 

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ah ok. From experience if you install Windows in language A and then switch account and/or system language to language B, then Device Manager will have names in language A, still, because the names of items are from the drivers that were installed in language A by Windows, when it was set in that language. So, to fix is to either uninstall the item, and re-install it, or go in the registry and just rename the hardware.

Oh I see. Well I installed Windows in English, so English is my "language A". That's probably why my device manager isn't messed up. 

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Office language lives in its own world.

You have to go to the Options panel, and go under Language, and set your langues there.

Sadly, I have tried that. The problem is that I can't save those settings. I have the exact same issue as the person on StackExchange has. 

This is what my Outlook language settings looks like:

Spoiler

Untitled.png.f4343e5b31c90f607ec0a714f9779a93.png

The display language works, as you can see. No issue there. The issue is with the second "Redigeringsspråk och språkverktyg i Office" part.

I have set Swedish (Svenska (Sverige) as the default, but the setting is ignored.

I have tried removing "Engelska (Sverige)" but it comes back as soon as I close the dialog window. I can't get rid of it.

When I edit a document, the spell checking is set to Engelska (Sverige) (English) even though Swedish is set as the default.

Untitled1.png.0f91a0ccb738b79b323630176ae154a9.png

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The language bar is to select the written language. The fun part is that apps can change it. So, depending on what you use, you can have an experience where you have control, or not and always have to fight with it. Oh, and there is an auto-detect feature, which tend to get confused when you switch languages. say you paste a text in a different language in your word processor.

Yeah I've had problems with that too from time to time. Word seems to handle it far better than Outlook though. 

Thanks for trying to help me but I have spent at least 3 hours on this and I have given up. 

Does anyone know if 21H2 will have an EQ? If you're so lucky as to have one available by a vendor, they still suck. Given how (by design) no sound HW acceleration exists anymore (since days of XP), there's no reason to not have an EQ native to the OS.

Bonus: Have EQ profiles that can be downloaded or updated to suit the make/model of headphones and speakers being used. 

As always, it will start out buggy and there would be problems with some peripherals. Stick with 20H2 please, until the bugs get ironed out and fixed.

I edit my posts quite often, please refresh your browser if you can.

Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 4600G
RAM : 16GB 3200MHZ CL16 RAM

GPU : ASRock Challenger RX 6600
Display : Acer KA242Y
Mainboard : GIGABYTE B450M DS3H WIFI
Storage : 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
                240GB ADATA SU650NS38

22 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Does anyone know if 21H2 will have an EQ? If you're so lucky as to have one available by a vendor, they still suck. Given how (by design) no sound HW acceleration exists anymore (since days of XP), there's no reason to not have an EQ native to the OS.

Bonus: Have EQ profiles that can be downloaded or updated to suit the make/model of headphones and speakers being used. 

So far, I have not heard of any system level EQ being worked on. You are at the mercy of your sound chip or sound card or DAC.

EQ were always software driven for all sound chips integrated on the motherboard. Maybe there was that odd chip here and there, but in mass, it wasn't.

If a sound card manufactures really wanted, they could make a driver that will control the EQ control system on the sound card. But that costs money, so software driven all the way it is. You have to start looking for an external DAC solution.

Knowing Microsoft, if they did, you won't have any fine-tune control. Microsoft would keep it super simple.  See the Groove Music app EQ:

508492680_Screenshot2021-02-26094729.png.ea33965edda64dbc27231b39f7f0a20b.png

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft would keep it super simple.

Whatever happened to the paradigm in UI that by default left things simple, but had an "advanced" button that exploded the menu into more nuanced features? IMHO that was the best way to handle it. It would keep the masses from being confused while still giving power users the option to dive into more advanced settings. I detest the all-or-nothing modes as a flat menu.

25 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Check out Equalizer APO. Or the Peace Equalizer APO if you prefer a GUI.

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

Whatever happened to the paradigm in UI that by default left things simple, but had an "advanced" button that exploded the menu into more nuanced features? IMHO that was the best way to handle it. It would keep the masses from being confused while still giving power users the option to dive into more advanced settings. I detest the all-or-nothing modes as a flat menu.

Doubt it.

They'll do it, only if it is widely asked. Considering that most people are perfectly happy with their integrated sound chip more and more.... don't think it will happen. I mean Groove Music EQ was slipped at the last moment before the team got disbanded, and that took huge push since day 1... to have it... and this is all we got

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Doubt it.

They'll do it, only if it is widely asked. Considering that most people are perfectly happy with their integrated sound chip more and more.... don't think it will happen. I mean Groove Music EQ was slipped at the last moment before the team got disbanded, and that took huge push since day 1... to have it... and this is all we got

I guess I'll have to continue whipping the llama's ass for my EQ.

26 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Are they fixing the text rendering yet?

In UWP apps it's basically perfect, for Win32 apps I'd use 150% or 200% to get the best experience...

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

Are they fixing the text rendering yet?

What is the issue you are facing?

other than .net framework updates......... I don't think a windows update has ever done anything for me ever

like , I ran windows 7 service pack 1 till like 2018 before I had to finally update it to sp2 to play a game.