Windows 21H2 (2021 Update 2) will be a total overhaul of the OS (Codenamed Sun Valley)

Master Disaster
15 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

it's a very flawless experience.

Are you sure?:

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

really bad and impractical UI,inspired by tablets - what they call a "modern" UI.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Bugs

Bloatware

Privacy

Broken functionality

Excessive RAM usage

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/photos-app-missing-in-windows-10

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/paint-3d-not-working-or-opening

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-failed-0x8024004a

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I really hope "audio enhancements" means they're throwing away the atrocious UI and starting again.

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?!  I've seen better UI's out of engineering dev tools:

image.thumb.png.ef47439cb34242a0ac3b72e8e511e3c1.png

That's not even starting on shit like per-app audio settings being forgotten if you close the app.  I don't even use this bullshit screen and always click over to Sound Control Panel which is the legacy thing that actually works.

But it's OK guys we've totally replaced that tool with this new "manage sound devices".  Totally not worthless.

image.png.312750f4a6370897f32cdad34f65afe8.png

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 2/24/2021 at 10:51 PM, Vorg said:

Not that we have much choice. I paid extra for the "pro" version mainly for the rolling update delay option which they then removed. Now you have to keep manually going in and bumping up the delay.

The "pro" was not in reference to Windows' pro version.

It's meant to be read as a tip from a "professional". The quotes are meant to represent that I'm not a professional.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:38 PM, Benji said:

IIRC, Windows doesn't auto-update to newer Windows versions unless you click either the "download and install" button when it shows up or you click "Search for Updates" in the Update menu, otherwise it will only upgrade to a new version once the current version runs out of support.

Diametrically opposed to my experience, they'll update me as soon the update is out... and it always breaks my computer no matter what specs etc.. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, TopKitty said:

Sounds like windows vista 2.0

Don't get my hopes up, best windows version ever... Did you know you could control everything on the desktop, including open windows with an Xbox controller? That was truly innovative and a step in the right direction. 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:51 PM, Vorg said:

Not that we have much choice. I paid extra for the "pro" version mainly for the rolling update delay option which they then removed. Now you have to keep manually going in and bumping up the delay.

That option is still there, in policies or something, you can set everything as in older versions (only available in pro and up) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

This hasn't happened to any of the four Windows 10 devices in my household, so I assume that it is some sort of setting for you, like the Windows Insider Previews that you automatically get updated/upgraded to. But usually you have to really force it. Especially Pro versions. I was in a rehabilitating facility where you had a "regular job" with about 50 Windows 10 PCs with regular Windows 10 Pro, not a single one of them self-upgraded until the current Windows version ran out of support.

It's possible they changed this but it happened quite a few times in the past - basically I *knew* there was an update coming but I thought like you said 'they won't force it away...' 

boom, next morning 'update your PC or else...' 

So yes, btw you're right it's not *forced* they'll just nag you daily about it lol... Also oddly enough it was much worse on my laptop with home version where it was basically clear that it would break something - I have never in my life seen a successful win 10 update (as in nothing beaks) on this laptop... every time lol. 

Sound is indefinitely broken it seems (Lenovo 'Harman drivers' do *not* fix it, because why would they, last release was in 2017 or so, basically my only hope is to install 'anniversary update' because that's when the laptop actually worked as advertised, just to give *one* example) 

But yeah, I don't know if this behavior changed in the last 1-2 years, I'm on 1809 so it's not like I could 'test' it (1904 on my laptop currently iirc) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

Outside of the literally forced update from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 I have pretty much never experienced Windows forcing me to a version upgrade outside of when the current version is not supported anymore.

As I said complete opposite to my experience, and I've never signed up for 'insider' either, why would I, it's the opposite of what I want, I do not want feature updates ever, I just want the features that were there when I bought the computer to work, I don't need 'night light', 'focus assist' and other nonsense. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

As I said complete opposite to my experience, and I've never signed up for 'insider' either, why would I, it's the opposite of what I want, I do not want feature updates ever, I just want the features that were there when I bought the computer to work, I don't need 'night light' and other nonsense. 

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/some-windows-10-updates-will-soon-be-force-installed-whether-you-like-it-or-not

Major updates are only forced when your existing build reaches EoS and even then you only get bumped up one version, not straight to the latest which IMO is a good balance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Huh...I guess Apple is still considered the standard for GUIs.

Obviously isn't a blatant carbon copy like Microsoft used to do, but I see Apple DNA all over the upcoming interface.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/some-windows-10-updates-will-soon-be-force-installed-whether-you-like-it-or-not

Major updates are only forced when your existing build reaches EoS and even then you only get bumped up one version, not straight to the latest which IMO is a good balance.

this isn't true though... just recently I got updated from 1809 straight to 20H2 or whatever this disaster of an update is called... which of course broke a whole plethora of things on my pc (hard-drives, sound, etc) 

And also I'm 100% certain it even automatically updated my laptop several times even though I thought I was 'safe' since I disabled the service - and that was within a week of release.  

Microsoft doesn't care simply, they want to update you they will...

only way around it is hacking windows so it simply can't update anymore (which is tricky) though there are programs that do it for you, alledgely 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, Master Disaster said:

Nah you don't, Windows won't ever install a big update without you going out of your way to look for it.. You have to manually click Check For Updates otherwise it will only force an update when your current versions support period ends.

Not been my experance with windows

55 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Don't get my hopes up, best windows version ever... Did you know you could control everything on the desktop, including open windows with an Xbox controller? That was truly innovative and a step in the right direction. 

That option is still there, in policies or something, you can set everything as in older versions (only available in pro and up) 

It's gone from the location it belongs and I was told it was removed. Was talked about in another thread on these forums.

When an update comes in, I get a message in the tray saying that windows will reboot outside normal hours to finish installing updates. Meaning, ether you restart now to update, or it will do it latter tonight. If that's not forced, what is?

21 minutes ago, Vorg said:

When an update comes in, I get a message in the tray saying that windows will reboot outside normal hours to finish installing updates. Meaning, ether you restart now to update, or it will do it latter tonight. If that's not forced, what is?

Also - I've witnessed this too many times to be a placebo effect or a 'coincidence' while it's true at least with *pro* versions they will *not* force you to update, but when the notification about 'new features and security updates' shows up the first time it just a few days and windows gets 'mysteriously' suddenly *v e r y* s l o w...

Which is why I call it the "update or else notification". 

23 minutes ago, Vorg said:

t's gone from the location it belongs and I was told it was removed. Was talked about in another thread on these forums

yes it is, but since I recently had the tremendous pleasure of experiencing the newest windows version I know for sure it's still there, it just moved where the mundane / average windows user will never find it, because it's meant 'for businesses only'... 

in 'group policy editor' :

1726445697_Screenshot_20210226-001559_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.6b5b6cc77162c71a790e3d1a5776c89f.jpg

And yes as far I can tell the 365 day option, which you paid for, is gone and replaced with a 180 day option, which you didn't pay for ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

40 minutes ago, Vorg said:

We're discussing the bi-annual major updates, not the smaller bug fixes, security patches and update rollups.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I really hope "audio enhancements" means they're throwing away the atrocious UI and starting again.

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?!  I've seen better UI's out of engineering dev tools:

image.thumb.png.ef47439cb34242a0ac3b72e8e511e3c1.png

That's not even starting on shit like per-app audio settings being forgotten if you close the app.  I don't even use this bullshit screen and always click over to Sound Control Panel which is the legacy thing that actually works.

But it's OK guys we've totally replaced that tool with this new "manage sound devices".  Totally not worthless.

image.png.312750f4a6370897f32cdad34f65afe8.png

They just need to completely revert metro:

2133154741_DesktopScreenshot2021_02.26-01_09_39_52.thumb.png.3a3ebe5685baca5a29a9991cd5d65d77.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

On 2/25/2021 at 12:35 AM, lewdicrous said:

"Pro" tip: don't update at launch, let others be the beta testers.

I like the UI so ima sacrifice myself

✨FNIGE✨

6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?! 

well you can change your volume, what else would you want from a highly sophisticated sound setting? /s

2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

It seems most jokes now are about Microsoft. When I broke into the game in the late 1960s, it was IBM and the seven Dwarves.

I remember the time when IBM was the defacto home PC king, I also seem to remember I've been playing some games on a apple PC around the same time... I guess that was also when Bill Gates has been working on *his* 'invention' in a 'garage'... 

(memory is hazy on the details lol) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Welp, I might sit this one out for the first month or two. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

As long 21H2 don't mess up my classic Start menu.  I am OK with it.

image.png.ea59bacd3d67f8b8aec836c4e5d092b0.png

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

Yeah, I am. Windows used to be almost on monthly order reinstalls because it kept shitting its own pants for most mundane stuff. Now I'm using it for so long I don't know when I've reinstalled it last. Latest was because I bought a new system...

Only issue I have with Windows 10 is how languages are selected. I want Windows to be in US English, but I need Regional and keyboard settings to be Slovenian. And when you set it like this Windows 10 turns into bizarre mix of this crap with constant nagging with stupid language bar and forcing in multiple keyboard configs. Windows interface is in US English, but for some dumb reason it installs localized Slovenian versions of apps like MS Paint, Photos and all other app stuff. And the fact that what you select during install on first screen isn't actually selected, you need to go through all this crap later when you get to desktop. This is the really only thing left that annoys the hell out of me. But when you finally set the damn thing, it sort of sticks. But it could be done so much better...

I like that windows is just straight squares and stuff, I don't want them to round them.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

I like that windows is just straight squares and stuff, I don't want them to round them.

Microsoft has an obsession with updating the UI,so they always update the UI,it will most likely look completely different in 5 years.