Windows 21H2 (2021 Update 2) will be a total overhaul of the OS (Codenamed Sun Valley)

Master Disaster
15 hours ago, duncannah said:

Are they fixing the text rendering yet?

TBH they probably still haven't even fixed the spellcheck yet. 

I used to love the new screensavers they'd put in. Especially on NT, you know, like 3d pipes, that was magical at the time!

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

And when a huge OS like Windows has to list 90% of all changes as visual updates as a "major overhaul", Microsoft is doing something wrong.

They are doing it wrong since win8. Just scrap the dead platform (uwp) and fire the idiot who """"designed"""" the current UI and go back to the 7 UI which looked so much better......

On 2/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

~

I've only been using the old Sound control panel and never touched that thing.

19 minutes ago, Benji said:

UWP is definitely not a "dead platform"

Before i quit i reinstalled countless new machines to get rid all the preinstalled crapware. Offered 2 options. One installer was vanilla 10 with minor tweaks. The other one was the nuclear option without store and all the uwp crapware. None of the owners asked for the 1st option. So yes, it is pretty much dead. It always was and always will...

I have no issue whatsoever with the UWP interface.

Many have many issues with it and not just the look of it. It is still  way quicker to go to the old CP and use the old stuff to set what you want. And it still takes way less time to do it that way than use the useless (phone) settings app to do it.

"Windows 7 looked better!" Well, then keep using it.

Already moved on to linux, the only reason i have a machine with windows is gaming...... (And its exiled onto the isolated IOT network.)

Edited by jagdtigger

3 hours ago, emosun said:

before I had to finally update it to sp2 to play a game. 

It's probably the DX11.1 and/or the Universal C runtime updates that your game required.

I only install security updates,and if i need something like DX11.1 or the Universal C runtime only then i will install it's update.

Those "quality" updates often come with telemetry and 99% of them are completely unnecessary.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

I certainly don't have those issues. Not even my 74 year-old grandfather

So both of you are R=1 uers, figures. No wonder you think there is no issues with uwp and think everyone is dumb and lagged behind who think it otherwise.....  Sorry to burst you bubbles but im pretty flexible to an extent when it comes to UI's, for instance i started using linux actively when ubuntu 9.10 was still around.  It was pretty much painless experience because the menu's were laid out in a logical manner. And despite its simplicity the UI looked actually quite nice. On the other hand on w10 we have an UI where "design" is above everything else, and it looks like a cheap rushed bodge job. To top it off the incompetent fools use a phone/tablet interface for a desktop OS. By the time i switched i was already deep into linux and used only open source SW so the switch was pretty much took a few minutes. Seeing all the fckups of ms with updates and decisions im pretty glad i jumped off of that sinking ship.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Microsoft is doing something wrong. I'm sure that there are actually more important things to work on in Windows besides design

Microsoft cares more about how their OS looks than how it feels

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

14 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

on w10 we have an UI where "design" is above everything else, and it looks like a cheap rushed bodge job.

AMD has the same problem,buggy drivers with completely new UI every few years.

Also one of the biggest mistakes of Microsoft is replacing check boxes with toggle switches,

They take a lot of space and are obviously more suitable for low precision input such as finger touch - which is widely used in tablets and smartphones.

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Probably because the OS has been made to be used with a touchscreen as well since Windows 8. I certainly wouldn't want to use Ubuntu with its nano buttons with my touchscreen laptop. There's advantages and disadvantages to everything.

While Windows is usable with a mouse, it is also usable with a touchscreen.

It's pointless on devices that don't have a touch screen - which are the majority of Windows devices.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

Maybe in your opinion, I have no issue whatsoever with the UWP interface. At least it ends the scaling issues, but it doesn't look "bad" by any means, at least in my opinion. "Windows 7 looked better!" Well, then keep using it. UWP is definitely not a "dead platform". Not to mention that I assume that the "idiot" who designed it did a way better job than you ever could. And while we're at it: Unpopular opinion time! Windows Vista's interface is more appealing to me than Windows 7, the only thing I prefer in the Windows 7 design is the usage of lighter colours while Vista was a darker-coloured theme. There needs to be a crossover. And after SP1 it was virtually identical with Windows 7, so this entire "Vista bad!" is also bullshit by itself.

In my opinion, the majority of "issues", or rather useless dislike about the Windows 10 design is the fact that people don't want to adapt. The fact that they still didn't get rid off the old Control Panel doesn't make things better. They could've integrated it all into the Windows Settings UWP a long time ago but they still didn't (even though they were planning to do so at one point).

UWP as a concept was not a bad idea when it was introduced for a more flexible way to create apps 'cross-platform', but the way it is implemented and how the distribution works is just flawed. The main apps like the MS Store, Windows Defender or the Settings are one of the few that have problems when it comes to their design, but also how they perform. From my own experience, I had problems with all 3 of them. Mostly it came to performance, but also how clunky the app feels and this especially something you will notice in Settings. Some apps I wanted to install through the Store just didn't want to download for example. UWP at the end of the day is a dying platform, and probably for the better.  

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

UWP as a concept was not a bad idea when it was introduced for a more flexible way to create apps 'cross-platform', but the way it is implemented and how the distribution works is just flawed.

[...]

I disagree. Like I know what you are saying, and it is true. However, XBox One and XBox One Series S/X apps including the Store are all UWP, and it works perfectly there. The issue is that Microsoft just magically left the Store unfinished under Windows 10 with the same bugs (like the ones you mentioned) since ever. I hope it is because the company went all in focusing on Windows 10X (or whatever they'll decide to call it officially) and the new XBox, and that they'll start working on the Store again (hopefully dropping the current back-end and using the same one as the XBox One Series X/S, and maybe improve/fix Search feature and improve the GUI of the Store). Again... I hope that is the case. Hopefully we get to see some improvements by the end of the year.

That said, UWP apps doesn't need to be distributed in the Store. You can download UWP apps from the web and install them, like any other program on your PC.

If you want an example:

MSIX Hero (Open-Source project)

https://msixhero.net/get/

Pick the gray download button. The app is a UWP app.

But you do have some great UWP apps. Here are some examples:

My point is that you can make nice things if one wants to, with UWP.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:35 PM, lewdicrous said:

"Pro" tip: don't update at launch, let others be the beta testers.

sometimes I like to update my laptop with the blue screen

On 2/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, StDragon said:

For work, I'm *not* looking forward to this release at all.

I'm so looking forward for this! It's going to be a good excuse for when I'm too lazy to work: "Sorry boss, the update broke my laptop".

5 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I'm so looking forward for this! It's going to be a good excuse for when I'm too lazy to work: "Sorry boss, the update broke my laptop".

Then your boss will say: I know, I read GoodBytes thread on the coming up Windows release. I already sent you a replacement work laptop. You'll have it in 15min. Enjoy your break, then get back to work!

On 2/24/2021 at 5:37 AM, RejZoR said:

I like to live on the edge. I will. Always have with every new version.

Same. I always update the day of release or within a few days of release. Never had any issues. Really excited for the Sun Valley (21H2) update! 😀 

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

13 hours ago, StDragon said:

He might even say "oh, here's the fix"

But then you realize your WLAN isn't detected at all because it's Realtek and touch screen you have on laptop now works like an ass compared to Windows. And you return to Windows again 😛

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

touch screen

Its a nice gimmick on laptops but its rarely used anyway.....

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

because it's Realtek

Thats funny, i have at least one machine with that wireless card but it worked out of the box... :old-eyeroll:

41 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Thats funny, i have at least one machine with that wireless card but it worked out of the box... :old-eyeroll:

I have two laptops and both had insane problems with Realtek. For one I had to use a hacked driver and dick around with kernels and noodles of commands to get it working. Touch on ASUS Transformer was also a rollercoaster. It was so wonky and didn't know how to rotate it was entirely unusable.

9 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

:(

✨FNIGE✨

16 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Its a nice gimmick on laptops but its rarely used anyway....

i don't think i could buy a laptop without a touchscreen, i use mine soooo much.

I even find myself poking my work laptop screen (which doesn't have one) and i get annoyed that it doesn't work.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Very interested in the audio, wonder would it fix my USB audio problems since some programs can't pick up the mic.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

23 hours ago, Arika S said:

i don't think i could buy a laptop without a touchscreen, i use mine soooo much.

I even find myself poking my work laptop screen (which doesn't have one) and i get annoyed that it doesn't work.

I feel the same way! I wish there were more gaming laptops with touchscreens since there are currently very few 🙁

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica