Paying in meme - Elon Musk offers money to help Dogecoin become ‘currency of the internet’ and Dogecoin price rockets after.

Lightwreather

Summary

Elon Musk has said he will buy out major Dogecoin holders in order to help make the fringe cryptocurrency the “currency of the internet”.

Quotes

The SpaceX and Tesla CEO, who overtook Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person last month, posted several tweets criticising the so-called crypto whales who hoard large stockpiles of Dogecoin.

These large holders are the only thing standing in the way of Dogecoin from becoming a mainstream currency, according to Mr Musk, who has previously suggested that the “people’s crypto” could become the official currency on Mars.

“If major Dogecoin holders sell most of their coins, it will get my full support. Too much concentration is the only real issue imo,” he tweeted.

“I will literally pay actual $ if they just void their accounts.”

Analysis of digital wallets reveals that one holder owns more than a quarter of all 128 billion Dogecoin (DOGE) tokens in circulation.

The balance of just over 36 billion Dogecoins is worth over $2 billion at today’s prices.

Responding to Mr Musk’s tweets, one Dogecoin advocate wrote: “Whales will have to consider Elon’s ultimatum here. If they comply, Dogecoin becomes the currency of the internet.

“If they don’t, or ‘cheat’ by distributing their coins across multiple wallets, then it loses Elon’s endorsement. Easy decision for the whales. Do the right thing.”

Mr Musk responded to this tweet by writing “Yup... Temporarily lower, long-term raise.”

The price of cryptocurrency dogecoin has rocketed it up in the wake of a series of tweets from Elon Musk.

Dogecoin began as something of a joke in 2013 but has since become a meaningful cryptocurrency in its own right. Its price has risen 1,250 per cent since the beginning of the year and it now has a market capitalisation of almost $10 billion.

My thoughts

Imagine paying in a meme, well that's (hopefully) what'll happen soon. This will be rather interesting to watch and I'm gonna be honest, if this happens, I will start mining dogecoin (probably and if you can mine it). Point being that this year might be the beginning of the heyday of cryptocurrencies, we've already seen BTC go up after a long time in the valley and now DOGE, This is gonna be amazing and terrifying because if this continues we might have to deal with a longer shortage of chips, but eh it will sort itself out eventually.

Sources

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/elon-musk-dogecoin-currency-internet-b1802319.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/dogecoin-price-today-elon-musk-value-b1799069.html

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I mined some dogecoin back in 2014 just to see how cryptocurreny worked (back when I thought ~200 dollars for a bitcoin was too expensive).

Little did I know that my experiment would be worth dozens of dollars a mere 5 years later!

If this is not troll, than it's going to be funny lol.

And hopefully as profitable as Bitcoin, also hopefuly more forgiving than Bitcoin..

Just now, LAwLz said:

Little did I know that my experiment would be worth dozens of dollars a mere 5 years later!

dam

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

28 minutes ago, SADS said:

The fact that these digital currencies appear SO volatile just makes me trust them even less.

All it seems to take is one man and a news article to rocket the price.

Don't worry, the next coin will solve that issue. If that doesn't then the next one will, promise.

I wish idiots like Musk could be held accountable for the people they influence into throwing away their money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I wish idiots like Musk could be held accountable for the people they influence into throwing away their money.

To be fair, I'm more concerned about the environmental impact.

All these farms, burning through electricity, creating shortages on products for people. Cryptocurrency just needs to go away.

4 minutes ago, SADS said:

All these farms, burning through electricity, creating shortages on products for people. Cryptocurrency just needs to go away.

The majority of emissions are only by a dozen or so companies. You using or not using your electricity is barely a blip on the savings. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, SADS said:

It's kind of two sides of the same dogecoin, power cosumption wouldn't be much of a problem without the wild speculation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

The majority of emissions are only by a dozen or so companies. You using or not using your electricity is barely a blip on the savings. 

That's not really true, while 70% of the emissions by companies are put out by only about 100 of them the overall stats are different. While of course one person's normal power draw is a drop in the bucket, crypto mining farms combined use enough power that they have caused power outages in places like Iran. Still not the largest contributor to emissions of course but significant nonetheless.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

maybe not that but for tweeting and probably knowing it will change the course of stonks and crypto coins

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Stve Jobs was surrounded by a reality distortion field...

...Elon Musk has an even bigger reality distortion field.

Steve Jobs at least he had actual (good) ideas surrounding his products and an design philosophy.

I wish Mr Musk would just go away.

2 hours ago, SADS said:

The fact that these digital currencies appear SO volatile just makes me trust them even less.

All it seems to take is one man and a news article to rocket the price.

It’s because they are so tiny relative to a lot of other things. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

30 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's not really true, while 70% of the emissions by companies are put out by only about 100 of them the overall stats are different. While of course one person's normal power draw is a drop in the bucket, crypto mining farms combined use enough power that they have caused power outages in places like Iran. Still not the largest contributor to emissions of course but significant nonetheless.

To be fair, Iran might not have the greatest infrastructure to their citizen homes, and it only causes issues at certain times each day.

According to Wikipedia, in 2013 Iran was capable of producing 224 terawatt hours from their thermal power plants. According to this tool from Cambridge, the estimated total power consumption from all bitcoin mining is 119TWh. So power consumption is very high. The global bitcoin network could suck up about half of the energy generated in Iran back in 2013. But Iran doesn't use that much power.

For comparison, the US used 4222 TWh of power in 2018.

China used 7225 TWh of power in 2019.

So all bitcoin mining in the entire world is estimated to be about 2.8% of the energy the US uses alone.

All bitcoin mining in the entire world uses 1.6% of the power used in China.

China and the US alone uses 96 times more power than the global bitcoin mining network does.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

China and the US alone uses 96 times more power than the global bitcoin mining network does.

I take more issue with how useless that is, and apart from mining you get equipment that I think much of won't find another home after it becomes unprofitable, though I have to wonder what the footprint is compared to physical money which is still a thing.

Cryptocurrency that fluctuates because of memes huh ok then.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Why would the be held accountable or anyone? It's not their problem that people don't have the control to manage their own finances.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Sir Asvald said:

Why would the be held accountable or anyone? It's not their problem that people don't have the control to manage their own finances.

You could use that same excuse to justify fraud. Sure, you ran the Ponzi scheme but it's not your fault if people fell for it...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You could use that same excuse to justify fraud. Sure, you ran the Ponzi scheme but it's not your fault if people fell for it...

Again, it is your responsibility to check whether a company or a person is legit you research about them. People will always be tricked with jargon and words they do not understand.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

it's like a train ( all the crypto hype ) that is constantly picking up speed and everyone sitting inside should know it can't accelerate forever and will , at some point chrash. Everyone is hoping they are not sitting in it when that happens

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

6 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Again, it is your responsibility to check whether a company or a person is legit you research about them. People will always be tricked with jargon and words they do not understand.. 

The law disagrees with you (at least regarding fraud) and so do I. You don't blame the victim when someone went out of their way to trick them.

What Musk does may not technically qualify as a scam or market manipulation but in my opinion it should.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Short of a lifetime internet ban (which is quite unenforceable) or jail time (of which there’s unlikely anything to justify more than a couple years), have any ideas? The SEC could pressure Twitter into banning him, however, Elon could just as easily build a new platform.  Fines similarly are unlikely to be impactful to someone with Elon’s resources.

He may be a wack job, but he (perhaps unfortunately) isn’t stupid. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Short of a lifetime internet ban (which is quite unenforceable) or jail time (of which there’s unlikely anything to justify more than a couple years), have any ideas?

Well... in a world with the political will to hold him accountable you could relatively easily keep track of who was screwed over by this sort of statement and get Musk to refund the losses. I would also accept a couple of years in jail though, it would definitely get people like him to think long and hard before posting this sort of thing - jail is no joke.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well... in a world with the political will to hold him accountable you could relatively easily keep track of who was screwed over by this sort of statement and get Musk to refund the losses. I would also accept a couple of years in jail though, it would definitely get people like him to think long and hard before posting this sort of thing - jail is no joke.

Prison is unlikely to break Elon for similar reasons that he’s not already there. The guy is defiant in nature, and seeks to toe the line as closely as possible without getting seriously burned. The harder the system clamps down, the more he pushes back. Getting him to fall in line is not an easy challenge. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Prison is unlikely to break Elon for similar reasons that he’s not already there. The guy is defiant in nature, and seeks to toe the line as closely as possible without getting seriously burned. The harder the system clamps down, the more he pushes back. Getting him to fall in line is not an easy challenge. 

With the way things are right now he can't get burned. If you have enough money the rules don't apply to you unless you do something insane like killing someone on live television (and even then there may be exceptions...). How has the system "clamped down" on him in any significant way so far? I'm certain that a credible threat of jail time would get him to shut up instantly.

A bigger issue would be distinguishing between people like Musk who clearly have enough outreach and influence to do damage with things like this and someone just memeing online... while the extremes are easy to spot the line is hard to draw. I think in this case one might be able to "get him" on technically having insider information on spacex' plans for their future Mars missions...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*